Changing the story (premed advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxgirl06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wanted to ask for some input into my current pre-med situation. I have a low GPA ~3.5 by graduation (senior in college). My advisor says I need 2 gap years at all costs, some people on adcoms say I only need one. My question is, do I need to do a postbacc? Do I need to do a masters? Or do I just need to say volunteer in a hospital for one year? Or do a research internship or medical scribe position? My question is also in regards to the MCAT. Would it be plausible to spend 1 month of studying 10 hours a day, and then 5 months studying 10 hours a day, 2 days a week + 4 hours 4 days a week? What are the benefits of a postbacc, masters? Personally, I think I would benefit from clinical exposure, but don't know if I should just continue hospital volunteering during winter break or solely focus on MCAT studying during the break?
And in regards to shadowing, if I should try to do that as well during winter break or spring? Thanks. (Disclaimer: Becoming a doctor is what I genuinely feel I was created to do, and the only thing I would feel fulfilled in doing BUT I know that there are things I need to do to strengthen my application. A lot of people here like to portray me as this daydreamer whose head is in the clouds without knowing me as an individual. I'm the type of person who believes nothing is impossible. If the scientists who were trying to make medical discoveries said, "No, we can't do this, it's IMPOSSIBLE, where would be? If the people who didn't have the right to vote or to sit in the front of the bus said, "No, we can't do this, it's IMPOSSIBLE, where would we be? If the people who were bound in shackles said, "We will never be free, it's IMPOSSIBLE, where would they be? If your reality isn't what you envisioned, you need to strategize but also change your story.
I think that in a way, people interested in medicine are 'dreamers.' I think that we are people who 'never give up.' If something doesn't work for the patient, you don't just give up, you change your strategy. And you say, "It's possible." We have to be able to envision things that don't yet exist, and imagine the patient being healthy and what it would take to get them to that point. We are constantly stepping back, analyzing the problem, and shifting our strategy.

TLDR
I'm changing the script and the story that I constantly hear that if you don't have a 4.0 and 300 clinical hours, etc. etc etc. that you can't make it. If you have a low GPA, you can't score exceptionally high on the MCAT. I refuse to accept that story. I am the author of my story and want constructive input on how to achieve the ending I want. Also, good luck to all of you that applied. :)

Members don't see this ad.

How much clinical experience do you have? What else were you involved in during college? Any research experience? What do you do for fun? What's the most hours per day you've spent studying and what's the most hours per week you've spent studying?

Would it be plausible to spend 1 month of studying 10 hours a day, and then 5 months studying 10 hours a day, 2 days a week + 4 hours 4 days a week?

This part caught my eye as sounding legitimately crazy.

Unless you a rare exception, studying for that length of time, with that intensity, is not a recipe for success.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The median for MD school matriculants is 3.7. Your GPA won't get you into Harvard, but is still competitive. You're fine for DO schools.

I have a low GPA ~3.5 by graduation (senior in college).

It depends upon what's lacking in your app, as LizzyM mentioned. I doubt that you would need two years.

My advisor says I need 2 gap years at all costs, some people on adcoms say I only need one.

I suggest trying an app cycle to see how things shake out.
My question is, do I need to do a postbacc? Do I need to do a masters?

Yes, or some other clinical venue to show us you know what you're getting into. I'm a fan of hospice work, myself.
Or do I just need to say volunteer in a hospital for one year?

You can swap out patient contact volunteering with being a scribe.
Or do a research internship or medical scribe position?

Only you can answer this.
My question is also in regards to the MCAT. Would it be plausible to spend 1 month of studying 10 hours a day, and then 5 months studying 10 hours a day, 2 days a week + 4 hours 4 days a week?

GPA repair. An SMP is more optimal (but more risky) in that it's a back door into a med school....provide you do very well. A post-bac can be done DIY.

What are the benefits of a postbacc, masters? Personally, I think I would benefit from clinical exposure, but don't know if I should just continue hospital volunteering during winter break or solely focus on MCAT studying during the break?

It's something you need to do. You should also be able to walk and chew gum at the same time...meaning, you should be able to do all of these activities.
And in regards to shadowing, if I should try to do that as well during winter break or spring? Thanks.

I think that you are a little starry-eyed, yes.
(Disclaimer: Becoming a doctor is what I genuinely feel I was created to do, and the only thing I would feel fulfilled in doing BUT I know that there are things I need to do to strengthen my application. A lot of people here like to portray me as this daydreamer whose head is in the clouds without knowing me as an individual. I'm the type of person who believes nothing is impossible. If the scientists who were trying to make medical discoveries said, "No, we can't do this, it's IMPOSSIBLE, where would be? If the people who didn't have the right to vote or to sit in the front of the bus said, "No, we can't do this, it's IMPOSSIBLE, where would we be? If the people who were bound in shackles said, "We will never be free, it's IMPOSSIBLE, where would they be? If your reality isn't what you envisioned, you need to strategize but also change your story.
I think that in a way, people interested in medicine are 'dreamers.' I think that we are people who 'never give up.' If something doesn't work for the patient, you don't just give up, you change your strategy. And you say, "It's possible." We have to be able to envision things that don't yet exist, and imagine the patient being healthy and what it would take to get them to that point. We are constantly stepping back, analyzing the problem, and shifting our strategy.

TLDR
I'm changing the script and the story that I constantly hear that if you don't have a 4.0 and 300 clinical hours, etc. etc etc. that you can't make it. If you have a low GPA, you can't score exceptionally high on the MCAT. I refuse to accept that story. I am the author of my story and want constructive input on how to achieve the ending I want. Also, good luck to all of you that applied. :)[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2 users
I have about a 3.5 with no masters/post bac. Got a 507 on the MCAT. I have 2 II... I took 1 gap year. 2 years of research and a variety of clinical/medical experience. Don't stop, never settle.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do some self-reflection first- what do you think your weak points are? If you think it's your science understanding (not solely GPA, actually understanding the material), then a Master's program might work well for you. If it's because you have <50 clinical hours, then that's where you should focus.

My advisor gave me some good advice: it's a marathon, not a sprint. What is one or two years in the long run? Not much.

I was in a similar boat- low GPA, not great science understanding in undergrad. I had great leadership experiences, clinical exposure, shadowing, research, etc. But I personally didn't think I would be ready for the rigors of med school, so I made the choice to apply to post-bacc/SMP/Master's programs. This cycle was my first time applying (with a 4.0 in my Master's program, plus retaking a few undergrad courses), and I already have multiple acceptances and interviews. If your advisor is saying you need to work on everything, or can't pinpoint a specific focus area, see if you can find a second opinion. If they both say the same thing, you might be best off taking a few years.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my Master's program experience and what I think helped.

Reactions: 1 user
How much clinical experience do you have? What else were you involved in during college? Any research experience? What do you do for fun? What's the most hours per day you've spent studying and what's the most hours per week you've spent studying?
70 hrs shadowing but some say that shadowing isn't clinical exposure, I was also I worked in a primary care clinic for about one hundred hours signing
Clinical experience (~88 hrs shadowing)
20 hours - Adult ED volunteer (will be <60 by time of application)
300 hours - working in primary care clinic, signing patients up for patient portal system
4 hours - ER #1
4 hours - oncology #1
30 hours - ortho clinic - neurosurgery (8 hours in OR)
5 hours -internal medicine #1
2 hours - internal medicine #2
5 hours -pediatrics
5 hours - oncology #2
15 hours - ENT experience 1 (8 hours in OR)
4 hours - ER #2
10 hours - OB/GYN
4 hours - ENT #2

College extracurriculars
President of after-school program for middle schoolers
Minority pre-med club member
Habitat for Humanity Treasurer

What I do for fun
Writing, playing instrument, reading

Research experience
3 semesters microbio research
2 semesters bio research
1 summer health disparities research
1 summer benchwork/translational research

Most hrs/day = 10
Most hrs/wk = 30?

Last edited:
I would do some self-reflection first- what do you think your weak points are? If you think it's your science understanding (not solely GPA, actually understanding the material), then a Master's program might work well for you. If it's because you have <50 clinical hours, then that's where you should focus.

My advisor gave me some good advice: it's a marathon, not a sprint. What is one or two years in the long run? Not much.

I was in a similar boat- low GPA, not great science understanding in undergrad. I had great leadership experiences, clinical exposure, shadowing, research, etc. But I personally didn't think I would be ready for the rigors of med school, so I made the choice to apply to post-bacc/SMP/Master's programs. This cycle was my first time applying (with a 4.0 in my Master's program, plus retaking a few undergrad courses), and I already have multiple acceptances and interviews. If your advisor is saying you need to work on everything, or can't pinpoint a specific focus area, see if you can find a second opinion. If they both say the same thing, you might be best off taking a few years.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my Master's program experience and what I think helped.
Oh I see what you mean. I think my weak points are science understanding and non-shadowing clinical exposure/clinical volunteering.

I have about a 3.5 with no masters/post bac. Got a 507 on the MCAT. I have 2 II... I took 1 gap year. 2 years of research and a variety of clinical/medical experience. Don't stop, never settle.
Thank you! What did you do during your gap year?

Thank you! What did you do during your gap year?

I'm currently in it. I work in a doctors office doing alot of things including shadowing from time to time. I think it's important to do something that works for both your career and your wallet.

I'm currently in it. I work in a doctors office doing alot of things including shadowing from time to time. I think it's important to do something that works for both your career and your wallet.
So what exactly do you do? Do you have a CNA certification?

So what exactly do you do? Do you have a CNA certification?
Nope. I do front desk stuff/clerical/IT/patient assistance/billing/authorizations and the list goes on...

I'm changing the script and the story that I constantly hear that if you don't have a 4.0 and 300 clinical hours, etc. etc etc. that you can't make it. If you have a low GPA, you can't score exceptionally high on the MCAT.

Wherever you're hearing this, stop listening. No need to give yourself that kinda unrealistic anxiety, yknow? Also - did you just compare your med school application to the civil rights movement?

Whatever, anyway, to answer a couple of your questions:
- The MCAT strategy seems excessive - at 10 hours / day, you're not learning as much as you'd think during those later hours, and you're burning yourself out. Also, five months seems like too much to me. Somewhere around 3 months, 6 hours / day is plenty.

Shadowing during breaks worked out well for me and a few of my friends, I'd recommend it. Consider doing that during summer as well, so you can get maybe ~3 weeks of shadowing with a doctor who's willing. As far as volunteering goes, does your university's college of medicine run a free clinic? Check if they take undergrad volunteers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wherever you're hearing this, stop listening. No need to give yourself that kinda unrealistic anxiety, yknow? Also - did you just compare your med school application to the civil rights movement?

Whatever, anyway, to answer a couple of your questions:
- The MCAT strategy seems excessive - at 10 hours / day, you're not learning as much as you'd think during those later hours, and you're burning yourself out. Also, five months seems like too much to me. Somewhere around 3 months, 6 hours / day is plenty.

Shadowing during breaks worked out well for me and a few of my friends, I'd recommend it. Consider doing that during summer as well, so you can get maybe ~3 weeks of shadowing with a doctor who's willing. As far as volunteering goes, does your university's college of medicine run a free clinic? Check if they take undergrad volunteers.
I'm hearing it from my premed counselor. :D And no, I didn't. I talked about how the world would be if everyone accepted things to be impossible and gave up.

And I can cut it down to 8 but I can take breaks and do 2 hour increments. I'm using The Berkeley Review Ten book set so I need to put in the time because those books are loooooooooong. And I have a weak science foundation, so I need the time. But I understand your concern.

Yeah, I'll have to reach out, I have someone in mind.

And I can cut it down to 8 but I can take breaks and do 2 hour increments. I'm using The Berkeley Review Ten book set so I need to put in the time because those books are loooooooooong. And I have a weak science foundation, so I need the time. But I understand your concern.

There is not really a point to soliciting advice if you answer every concern with a justification.

There are many of us who have used the same book set to study for the same test with equally poor science backgrounds. You will burn out. Then, when you start studying six months before the test and burn out at three, your next two or three months will be unproductive. Your solid work will be long forgotten, and then you get to take the test twice. Quality > Quantity. My two cents.

I'm hearing it from my premed counselor. :D And no, I didn't. I talked about how the world would be if everyone accepted things to be impossible and gave up.

Yeah, I'll have to reach out, I have someone in mind.

I'm studied for 2 months, roughly 5 hrs a day with 1 day off a week. I learned that anything past that amount was not retained and just wasted time. You will learn your own limits and you should respect them to avoid burnout. Also plan to do practice test b/c those help put everything into prospective. Regardless of your science foundation, the MCAT is probably 30% fact check and 70% critical thinking. No content review will teach you how to think. Whatever you intend to do, practice problems/passage will be your savior.

I found in my MCAT studying that I could have the best intentions of doing an 8-10 hour day, but I eventually lost focus. It's really hard to do that for a few months.

I used the AAMC outline and expanded upon that, but most of my studying after that was questions, section banks, test banks, etc. Make sure that the minimum time you spend studying at once is the length of one section. It's good prep for the exam because you'll get used to timing.

I would say I started making my outline in January, and finished around March/April. Then I started doing practice tests and question banks on the weekends. After school got out, I probably studied 6 or so hours a day for 3 weeks. Most of this was going through questions or reviewing questions. Somedays were longer, somedays were shorter. Any time I took a practice test, I took the rest of the day off and didn't review until the next day.

There is not really a point to soliciting advice if you answer every concern with a justification.

There are many of us who have used the same book set to study for the same test with equally poor science backgrounds. You will burn out. Then, when you start studying six months before the test and burn out at three, your next two or three months will be unproductive. Your solid work will be long forgotten, and then you get to take the test twice. Quality > Quantity. My two cents.
Thank you for the input. My problem was I wasn't able to find someone here that did the TBR set and didn't stick to the 3-month schedule TBR created. My studying will have to be in phases because I have winter break coming up where I am 100% free, but then in the Spring I have classes, so I don't know if studying 6 hours a day on days I have classes would be feasible for me. I'm just trying to figure out the timeline.

From my personal experience, you may be better off doing 2-3 hours per day over a longer time period. When is your target date to take the MCAT? If it's mid-April (best time to take, IMO) you have plenty of time and can stretch out your studying. You tend to retain more when you study over a longer period of time. I did 8 months, less than 2 hours per day and found that to be quite overwhelming while taking classes. I don't know you, but many people would find 6 hrs/day to be unbearable. I know I sure would have. Also, it isn't necessary. I scored >99th percentile without killing myself with a ridiculous number of studying hours.

What is your science/BCPM(N) GPA? What do you think it will be by graduation?

Your ECs look fine to me. You need to focus on doing well on the MCAT. A below average (<510 but above 500) score will put you in range for DO schools. A good (511-514) score means you should apply to MD and DO schools. If you score 515+, you should have a decent shot at MD schools.

I don't think a 3.5 is low enough to risk an SMP. SMPs should be a "hail mary" strategy when your GPA is beyond any sort of meaningful repair but you think that you have your ish together and you can score highly. You could do a DIY postbacc and try to get your GPA to around a 3.6, but I still maintain that the thing that will undeniably have the most impact on your app will be your MCAT score. A high MCAT score means that a GPA of 3.5 will be totally fine while a low MCAT score may put medical school out of reach. It is truly the end-all-be-all in your situation.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't apply in the 2017-2018 cycle. I would finish out my schooling with the highest GPA possible, then I would spend the summer studying for the MCAT (maximum 3 months of dedicated study time IMO), take the MCAT in August or September, work some sort of job that interests you in the coming year, and apply in June of 2018. The MCAT is so vital to your application right now that you shouldn't try to both study for it and finish out your schooling at the same time, as that will likely lead to mediocre results on both fronts.

From what you've said in your OP, it looks like you are so set upon being a doctor that you aren't going to complain about going to DO school if it comes down to that (which it might) so if you can score reasonably on your MCAT, you'll likely get into a medical school (MD or DO).

tl;dr
Finish out your senior year with the highest possible GPA
MCAT is king - make that your top priority once you graduate
ECs are fine
Apply in June 2018 with a school list created based on what your MCAT score is

From my personal experience, you may be better off doing 2-3 hours per day over a longer time period. When is your target date to take the MCAT? If it's mid-April (best time to take, IMO) you have plenty of time and can stretch out your studying. You tend to retain more when you study over a longer period of time. I did 8 months, less than 2 hours per day and found that to be quite overwhelming while taking classes. I don't know you, but many people would find 6 hrs/day to be unbearable. I know I sure would have. Also, it isn't necessary. I scored >99th percentile without killing myself with a ridiculous number of studying hours.
That was my original plan but a lot of people here seem to be dissuading me from it... My target date is mid-May. Unfortunately I don't have 8 months :D What did your plan look like? I have the 10 book set from TBR but was also going to buy the AAMC Bundle for $200 or maybe just the tests. I was also going to buy practice tests from a company but did not yet decide which company. I actually started studying but only for a few hours and 2 hours is doable for me IF AND ONLY IF I don't have a lot going on in my classes. I do have a winter break coming up and that's a month of freedom, so I was planning on studying a lot then, I also have 2 free days M,W next semester which could be MCAT studying day. I'm just trying to be strategic in my planning because I do have a weak science background and I'm not one of those people that can study 6 hours with school. I know some people here can. :D

What is your science/BCPM(N) GPA? What do you think it will be by graduation?

Your ECs look fine to me. You need to focus on doing well on the MCAT. A below average (<510 but above 500) score will put you in range for DO schools. A good (511-514) score means you should apply to MD and DO schools. If you score 515+, you should have a decent shot at MD schools.

I don't think a 3.5 is low enough to risk an SMP. SMPs should be a "hail mary" strategy when your GPA is beyond any sort of meaningful repair but you think that you have your ish together and you can score highly. You could do a DIY postbacc and try to get your GPA to around a 3.6, but I still maintain that the thing that will undeniably have the most impact on your app will be your MCAT score. A high MCAT score means that a GPA of 3.5 will be totally fine while a low MCAT score may put medical school out of reach. It is truly the end-all-be-all in your situation.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't apply in the 2017-2018 cycle. I would finish out my schooling with the highest GPA possible, then I would spend the summer studying for the MCAT (maximum 3 months of dedicated study time IMO), take the MCAT in August or September, work some sort of job that interests you in the coming year, and apply in June of 2018. The MCAT is so vital to your application right now that you shouldn't try to both study for it and finish out your schooling at the same time, as that will likely lead to mediocre results on both fronts.

From what you've said in your OP, it looks like you are so set upon being a doctor that you aren't going to complain about going to DO school if it comes down to that (which it might) so if you can score reasonably on your MCAT, you'll likely get into a medical school (MD or DO).

tl;dr
Finish out your senior year with the highest possible GPA
MCAT is king - make that your top priority once you graduate
ECs are fine
Apply in June 2018 with a school list created based on what your MCAT score is
My science GPA is a 3.43 and by graduation it should be a 3.5.
So is that a one year gap year?
And I am but I just have a question about DO, does being a DO mean you can't match into competitive fields like surgery? I think I read that here somewhere...

My science GPA is a 3.43 and by graduation it should be a 3.5.
So is that a one year gap year?
And I am but I just have a question about DO, does being a DO mean you can't match into competitive fields like surgery? I think I read that here somewhere...

My suggested plan would have two gap years because you would be applying when you were one year out of college, and the application cycle year is your second gap year. The only way it would be a good idea to apply this upcoming cycle is if you already had an MCAT score or had a period where you could study for the MCAT without other distractions, which it doesn't seem like you have. If you took the MCAT in august, you could technically apply this cycle, but you would be very late and with a borderline GPA, that is a terrible terrible idea. Because you did not apply at the end of your junior year, you have to take at least one gap year no matter what.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/md-vs-do.1181719/#post-17375014

That is a post of mine from a while ago that delineates MD and DO differences. Read that and then if you have further questions, we can answer them.

My suggested plan would have two gap years because you would be applying when you were one year out of college, and the application cycle year is your second gap year. The only way it would be a good idea to apply this upcoming cycle is if you already had an MCAT score or had a period where you could study for the MCAT without other distractions, which it doesn't seem like you have. If you took the MCAT in august, you could technically apply this cycle, but you would be very late and with a borderline GPA, that is a terrible terrible idea. Because you did not apply at the end of your junior year, you have to take at least one gap year no matter what.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/md-vs-do.1181719/#post-17375014

That is a post of mine from a while ago that delineates MD and DO differences. Read that and then if you have further questions, we can answer them.
Oh right. The only period I have to study would be the one month winter break. True, I agree. Oh okay, so in the event that I am now opposed to going to a DO school, would you recommend a postbacc/2-yr masters? That's actually what I was looking into. I see that a lot of the specialties I am passionate about are in the "do not count on it" category.:hungover:

Oh right. The only period I have to study would be the one month winter break. True, I agree. Oh okay, so in the event that I am now opposed to going to a DO school, would you recommend a postbacc/2-yr masters? That's actually what I was looking into. I see that a lot of the specialties I am passionate about are in the "do not count on it" category.:hungover:

I wouldn't recommend a master's program to someone with a 3.5. The risk/benefit ratio isn't favorable. The best option would be study for the MCAT over the summer, take it in August, do 1 year of postbacc classes (and obviously do well in them), then apply June 2018. Depending on your stats then, it still might be prudent to apply to some DO schools.

I totally understand the whole "DO is undesirable because then I can't do the specialty I want". The specialty I've been interested in since high school is one of those too. However, you have to really look deep down inside and ask yourself, "in the event that I cannot do that specialty, do I still want to become a physician?". If the answer is yes, then DO school should still remain within your realm of possibilities. If no, you need to have a long term backup plan in case you are unable to get into MD school.

Another thing to consider is that those "do not count on it" specialties are still hard for MD students to match into. There is no guarantee that just because you're an MD student you can get into one of those specialties. That is why I think it is so important for people to do the whole "physician vs. certain specialty" introspective exercise, and if you decide that you still want to do it, you should probably still apply to DO schools should that be necessary. Not because that's what you yourself are aiming for (and I say this with the utmost respect for my DO colleagues), but because if you can't get into MD school, DO school is 110% your next best option by lightyears if you decide that you are "okay" with being "just" a physician even if you can't be a plastic surgeon.

I was in a similar situation. I ended up having to reapply because I did not have a strong enough app. I highly suggest you take two years off to safely build your resume and experiences. I would do these things:

1. Re-assess: are there other career paths you are interested in? do you need to be a doctor to fulfill your goals? (Throughout my two years out of school, I found so many different career paths possible that if it didn't work out I knew there would be something I could make my new goal. That said, you should feel 100% dedicated to preparing for a career in medicine, if you choose to apply)

2. Consider risks and benefits of SMP or other master's program: I had the opportunity to go to a SMP but in the end choose not to. I did so because I wanted to focus on improving my MCAT and gain more hands-on experience. Also, the programs were very expensive, and I was advised by a variety of people not to do it. In the end I was very happy with my choice, mainly because I am not thousands of dollars in debt and was able to improve other parts of my app without the need of an SMP. If you have the funds or can get a master's through your job, then I would say do it.

3. Attain jobs/internships that provide relevant experience: Most secondary apps and interviewers asked about my gap years. I had a lot to talk about because of the job that I had in which I spoke to patients directly. I highly recommended having one really great clinical experience during your gap year to show you know the health field and to share learning experiences.

I was in a similar situation. I ended up having to reapply because I did not have a strong enough app. I highly suggest you take two years off to safely build your resume and experiences. I would do these things:

1. Re-assess: are there other career paths you are interested in? do you need to be a doctor to fulfill your goals? (Throughout my two years out of school, I found so many different career paths possible that if it didn't work out I knew there would be something I could make my new goal. That said, you should feel 100% dedicated to preparing for a career in medicine, if you choose to apply)

2. Consider risks and benefits of SMP or other master's program: I had the opportunity to go to a SMP but in the end choose not to. I did so because I wanted to focus on improving my MCAT and gain more hands-on experience. Also, the programs were very expensive, and I was advised by a variety of people not to do it. In the end I was very happy with my choice, mainly because I am not thousands of dollars in debt and was able to improve other parts of my app without the need of an SMP. If you have the funds or can get a master's through your job, then I would say do it.

3. Attain jobs/internships that provide relevant experience: Most secondary apps and interviewers asked about my gap years. I had a lot to talk about because of the job that I had in which I spoke to patients directly. I highly recommended having one really great clinical experience during your gap year to show you know the health field and to share learning experiences.
1. Yes and no. There are other 'careers/activities' that I am passionate about and plan to do after I become a doctor but it always comes down to becoming a doctor. Those other things aren't my priority but they are my passion. Some relate to medicine, some don't at all. I am interested in public health, medical training, policy, hospital infrastructure, etc. but also novel-writing.

2. Is my GPA around the range for SMPs?

3. What did you do during your gap years? I was trying to gain more direct patient contact during mine or explore public health, etc.

Edit: Figured I'd delete it b/c not a helpful comment to this discussion...

Last edited:
1. Yes and no. There are other 'careers/activities' that I am passionate about and plan to do after I become a doctor but it always comes down to becoming a doctor. Those other things aren't my priority but they are my passion. Some relate to medicine, some don't at all. I am interested in public health, medical training, policy, hospital infrastructure, etc. but also novel-writing.

3. What did you do during your gap years? I was trying to gain more direct patient contact during mine or explore public health, etc.

2. I think it would depend on your background. If you come from a disadvantage background, you may get some leeway on your GPA. If I had your GPA, I personally would not (seems competitive for DO schools), and instead focus on shadowing MD and DO's and apply very broadly to MD and DO schools. If you have the funds to do an SMP AND it has linkage to a medical school program (like guaranteed interview spot) then it would be worth it.

3. I did health education as part of a community health project. Look for public health organizations. They provide a good mix of research opportunities and interactions with real people that projects are targeting

nn

I don't think anyone would doubt your ability to get into an SMP with your GPA, but these programs are often times extremely expensive. IMO you are FAR better off doing a DIY post-bac. You will save money, and will probably have more time on your hands to bolster the parts of your app that need the most help (sound like you need some extracurriculars?). Another thing.........if something is your passion, it becomes your priority. Nobody will believe that you are passionate about these other activities unless you actually spend time doing them and have something to show for them.

I don't think anyone would doubt your ability to get into an SMP with your GPA, but these programs are often times extremely expensive. IMO you are FAR better off doing a DIY post-bac. You will save money, and will probably have more time on your hands to bolster the parts of your app that need the most help (sound like you need some extracurriculars?). Another thing.........if something is your passion, it becomes your priority. Nobody will believe that you are passionate about these other activities unless you actually spend time doing them and have something to show for them.
What materials did you use to study for the MCAT? Also, you studied for 8 months for 2 hours a day?

UPDATE: I (think) I have officially decided to take 2 gap years and do a <1 year postbacc program. Looking into those over the next few weeks. Would taking the MCAT in June be 'sufficient' study time? Plan is complete every single page of TBR 10 book set, while doing EK passages (1 a day) and TPR Hyperlearning (1 a day). I would study intensely during winter break, then 3 hours, 2 days a week during Spring semester, then in the summer, it would be 5 hours a day the entire summer. Thoughts?