Changing very common hispanic last name for a unique last name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which last name?


  • Total voters
    31
  • Poll closed .

medstudent95

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I am an international student that just got accepted into medical school. In my country you have both your father and mothers last name legally. My question is if I should change my very common Hispanic last name (ex. Rodriguez, Garcia) to my second legal name which is more unique and distinguishable (ex. Zuccaro, Piscopo). My reasoning is that it would be easier to recognize my last name on research, conferences, and such.

What is your opinion?
 
What is your reasoning for doing this?
I also saw people who used last names like Zuccaro-Rodriguez or Piscopo-Garcia.
 
Personally I really like the Italian names, but maybe hyphenate to honor both sides of the family? That way it would be extra unique.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is your reasoning for doing this?
I also saw people who used last names like Zuccaro-Rodriguez or Piscopo-Garcia.
My reasoning is that when people refer to Dr. Garcia they could be refrerring to one of the thousands of Dr. Garcia in the country. But when they refer to Dr. Zuccaro they will be referring to the only DO in the entire country, thus personal success will be attributed to the only one Dr. Zuccaro out there. That's my reasoning I guess.
 
Last edited:
Seems a bit much especially if you've only just been accepted. Are you absolutely certain you will be going into academics/research to the point where this will be a major issue?
 
My reasoning is that when people refer to Dr. Perez they could be refrerring to one of the thousands of Dr. Perez in the country. But when they refer to Dr. Frusciante they will be referring to the only DO in the entire country, thus personal success will be attributed to the only one Dr. Frusciante out there. That's my reasoning I guess.

And any major mistakes you make will be easily attributable to you. Standing out is good so long as you do it for the right reasons, you don't want to stand out if you're mediocre or worse.
 
If you are bilingual (which is likely seeing as thought you are from a different country and in that country you received a Spanish surname..s) and care to work with the Spanish-speaking population you may want to be easier to find.
 
Last time I checked on the AAMC stats, only about ~4% of physicians were of Latino descent. So, being a physician with a Latino last name is already unique enough. Maybe I'm a little biased since my last name is very common and, as a male, I don't have the opportunity to change it. Not that I would ever consider it anyways...
 
Chemist1986: Just to clarify, being male has nothing to do with your ability to change your name. At least in some states, a male can change his name when getting married, and in all states one can change ones name regardless of sex or gender.
 
Changing your name for easier recognition is stupid. I have thought of changing my name for ease of conversation though as I am in a similar boat with common Hispanic last names
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad