Changing very common hispanic last name for a unique last name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which last name?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

medstudent95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am an international student that just got accepted into medical school. In my country you have both your father and mothers last name legally. My question is if I should change my very common Hispanic last name (ex. Rodriguez, Garcia) to my second legal name which is more unique and distinguishable (ex. Zuccaro, Piscopo). My reasoning is that it would be easier to recognize my last name on research, conferences, and such.

What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your reasoning for doing this?
I also saw people who used last names like Zuccaro-Rodriguez or Piscopo-Garcia.

Personally I really like the Italian names, but maybe hyphenate to honor both sides of the family? That way it would be extra unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your reasoning for doing this?
I also saw people who used last names like Zuccaro-Rodriguez or Piscopo-Garcia.
My reasoning is that when people refer to Dr. Garcia they could be refrerring to one of the thousands of Dr. Garcia in the country. But when they refer to Dr. Zuccaro they will be referring to the only DO in the entire country, thus personal success will be attributed to the only one Dr. Zuccaro out there. That's my reasoning I guess.

Last edited:
Seems a bit much especially if you've only just been accepted. Are you absolutely certain you will be going into academics/research to the point where this will be a major issue?

Reactions: 1 users
I'd do it for purely trollish YOLO reasons. It probably wont matter in the long run and lets be real, if your research is so vague or general that people cant figure out which Dr perez you are, you might want to stop and rethink your research

Reactions: 3 users
This seems like a more intimate choice than one that should be made via internet forum poll...

Reactions: 8 users
My reasoning is that when people refer to Dr. Perez they could be refrerring to one of the thousands of Dr. Perez in the country. But when they refer to Dr. Frusciante they will be referring to the only DO in the entire country, thus personal success will be attributed to the only one Dr. Frusciante out there. That's my reasoning I guess.

And any major mistakes you make will be easily attributable to you. Standing out is good so long as you do it for the right reasons, you don't want to stand out if you're mediocre or worse.

Reactions: 1 user
If what you do is truly noteworthy in your field, people will know who you are.

You'll be Dr. ____ at ______ for those in academia.

If you are bilingual (which is likely seeing as thought you are from a different country and in that country you received a Spanish surname..s) and care to work with the Spanish-speaking population you may want to be easier to find.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with above that this seems more of an intimate choice. If you do good work your last name will not matter.

Last time I checked on the AAMC stats, only about ~4% of physicians were of Latino descent. So, being a physician with a Latino last name is already unique enough. Maybe I'm a little biased since my last name is very common and, as a male, I don't have the opportunity to change it. Not that I would ever consider it anyways...

Chemist1986: Just to clarify, being male has nothing to do with your ability to change your name. At least in some states, a male can change his name when getting married, and in all states one can change ones name regardless of sex or gender.

Reactions: 1 users
Changing your name for easier recognition is stupid. I have thought of changing my name for ease of conversation though as I am in a similar boat with common Hispanic last names

I would go with Dr. Cashman if I could pick.

In all seriousness, it makes little difference and should be a personal decision on your end.

I would change it if you have no qualms with that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile