Character/word limit for essay questions in VMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwentySixDeer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, recently saw that the VMCAS apps changed to three essays in the last cycle. I am assuming this will be the same format of personal statements for the upcoming cycle. The three essays stated underneath them "0/1000" if nothing has been typed into them yet. Is this referring to characters or individual words? 1000 characters seems incredibly little. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, recently saw that the VMCAS apps changed to three essays in the last cycle. I am assuming this will be the same format of personal statements for the upcoming cycle. The three essays stated underneath them "0/1000" if nothing has been typed into them yet. Is this referring to characters or individual words? 1000 characters seems incredibly little. Thanks!
That is the character limit sadly, it was difficult to fit everything I wanted to say into such a small space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

individual characters including spaces and punctuation. this topic has been covered many times in the past year since it was announced. please try the search function next time instead of creating a new thread, as it clutters the forums.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
individual characters including spaces and punctuation. this topic has been covered many times in the past year since it was announced. please try the search function next time instead of creating a new thread, as it clutters the forums.

Thank you! Sorry, I'm pretty new to these forums.

We have extended the character limits on the essays for VMCAS 2019. The first two essays are now 1500 characters and the third question is 2000 characters now. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you! Sorry, I'm pretty new to these forums.
No worries! And if the forums don't yield answers or your question may be more specific or you need more clarification -- don't hesitate to post or make a new thread. We're all in the same boat; trying to get to the same place. We were all new at some point... so welcome!

Reactions: 1 users