Charles Drew/UCLA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsJLewis

Retired Pre-med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a lot about this med school? Is it a program based at UCLA? Is it a separate medical school that is affiliated with UCLA (kinda like Mt. Sinai and NYU)? I know it has a focus on underserved communities but that is about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know a lot about this med school? Is it a program based at UCLA? Is it a separate medical school that is affiliated with UCLA (kinda like Mt. Sinai and NYU)? I know it has a focus on underserved communities but that is about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
How about checking their website?

Thanks. I never thought of that... [insert sarcasm here]

I was looking more for insider info, current med school student perspectives, how different are the UCLA and Drew programs...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

They have the first two yrs of education at UCLA along with the David Geffen students, then they do their clinical years with the underserved populations (Harbor-UCLA now?). Not really sure. That's the gist of it. It's one of the most selective programs for passionate students about underserved. They have a class of 25 or so. They have this line that says they do not accept MCATs beyond a year before matriculation, meaning you should've taken the August '07 MCAT at best. If this is so, haha, their screening process must be real easy :p.

hey, im a drew/ucla msIII..like jaded said, we do our 1st 2 yrs at westwood along with the rest of the ucla class. we used to do our 3rd and 4th yr rotations at mlk. now that the hospital's inpatient services have been discontinued (however there is still outpatient clinics and an urgent care clinic still operating), we have the choice to do our rotations at the regular UCLA-affiliated sites. this includes harbor-ucla, olive-view, chs (UCLA main), west va, cedars-sainai, kaiser, etc. most drew students want to preserve the mission of the drew/ucla program, which is to treat underserved populations, so we are choosing the county hospitals. we are still doing some outpatient rotations (ambulatory medicne and some surgical subspecialties) at mlk, since those are still operating. we have a different doctoring program during our 3rd and 4th years (instead of doctoring, we have a primary care continuity clinic in south central los angeles) where we see our own patients and we are also invovled in the honors thesis program that focuses on research that affects underserved populations. the closure of mlk-harbor only means that we have to change where we do our rotations, but dont forget we're still in los angeles :)...theres plenty of opportunity to learn from patients that have lack of access to healthcare and economic hardship. the program is actually expanding because it has been so successful in producing physicians that are culturally competent and have experience working with some of the toughest populations in the nation. I think they are planning on adding a few more spots in the next year. so yes..we are sad to see mlk close, it is a tragedy mostly to the watts community that now has to deal with the lack of healthcare to them..thats who we really need to worry about. the drew program continues strong...if you are really interested, feel free to pm me.

Reactions: 2 users
does drew/ucla accept Canadian applicants? Just wondering........

does drew/ucla accept Canadian applicants? Just wondering........

yep. as an intl student you have to do your research to find out what schools will consider you. ucla (therefore all of its programs) will take intl students...as long as you pay tuition!

yep. as an intl student you have to do your research to find out what schools will consider you. ucla (therefore all of its programs) will take intl students...as long as you pay tuition!

Although, I think you should underscore the selectivity of Drew. It's by no means a backdoor entrance to UCLA.

Although, I think you should underscore the selectivity of Drew. It's by no means a backdoor entrance to UCLA.

not at all. ive been on the selection/interview committee all 3 years and i can tell you that we turn down applicants with stellar #'s all day long if they cant display a solid (i mean solid) commitment to underserved populations. it is definitely one of the most rigorous screening at every level. ive read lots of applications and interviewed people with low and high numbers. in the end, thats not what really matters to this program, because high numbers are a dime a dozen. its the personality of the applicant, their motivation for going to medicine, and how they eventually will use it to improve healthcare of patients that really need it that matters. thats why i say if youre truly interested, apply. dont do it if youre trying to get into ucla and arent really about the program...its pretty easy to tell if youre legit. being one of the lucky few who made it through, i can tell you its the most amazing program to be a part of...truly the best of both worlds. i cant imagine getting a better medical education anywhere else.

Thanks, for the reply. I am thinking about adding them to my list of schools.

not at all. ive been on the selection/interview committee all 3 years and i can tell you that we turn down applicants with stellar #'s all day long if they cant display a solid (i mean solid) commitment to underserved populations. it is definitely one of the most rigorous screening at every level. ive read lots of applications and interviewed people with low and high numbers. in the end, thats not what really matters to this program, because high numbers are a dime a dozen. its the personality of the applicant, their motivation for going to medicine, and how they eventually will use it to improve healthcare of patients that really need it that matters. thats why i say if youre truly interested, apply. dont do it if youre trying to get into ucla and arent really about the program...its pretty easy to tell if youre legit. being one of the lucky few who made it through, i can tell you its the most amazing program to be a part of...truly the best of both worlds. i cant imagine getting a better medical education anywhere else.

ACL3623- I am currently reapplying to Charles Drew and was hoping that you might be able to give me some advice on how to strengthen myself as a re-applicant. Drew is my absolute top-choice because I am committed to their mission of serving underserved populations. I made it as far as the wait-list last year and was one of the last 4 or 5 students left (that didn't get rejected off the wait list), however, no seats opened up so in the end I didn't get in. Do you have any suggestions on how this year I might be able to avoid the wait-list altogether and try my best to get in right away? I appreciate your help! :)

Hello!
I was wondering if you could tell me more about the program. I heard that the program had some serious issues back in 2004 and such. I am sincerely interested in the program and have recently received a secondary application. I have a few questions, since the program is called Drew/UCLA are you granted a degree from Drew or from UCLA or both? Also, as for the research thesis is it more medicine or public health based? The program sounds almost like a dream. Growing up in Long Beach, I have always wished to serve the under served community of southern California. Being able to offer medical service to these communities is a dream come true.

Hi! I found this post recently and hopefully you won't mind answering a few questions of mine? I am highly interested in applying for the program, can I ask you what kind of ECs you have done before applying for it?