Charts predicting MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyMe2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping this would calm the nerves of some people, me included. :D I made an extensive analysis of the actual final MCAT scores. I work as an accountant and I need to see numbers.

The link to the spreadsheet that I got the information from can be found here as well as the form to add more data. Thanks mcatjelly.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/spreadsheet-for-mcat-2015-scores-now-has-form.1158041/

I used the information posted to that spreadsheet, and added 42 more people and deleted duplicates, and irrelevant post from people that only posted one score. The actual sample for this was 288 people. For making the following analysis I used only relevant data.

Analysis 1 Shows how many people scored above their practice test scores.
Company/- Sample #/ Scored above / Scored = / Scored under
AAMC fl--/-271 ----- / 95.20% --------- / 0.0%-- - / 4.8%
Kaplan----/141 ----- /100.0% ------- - /0.0% -- - / 0.0%
TPR ------/132----- /97.7% --------- / 0.0% -- - / 2.3%
EK --------/83 ----- /98.8% --------- / 0.0% --- / 1.2%
NS -------- /38 ----- /100.0% --------- / 0.0% -- - / 0.0%

The average difference for each company test to actual test were
AAMC was 6.03 points
Kaplan was 14.06 ------------ *note this has data from before and after the changes to kaplan score tables.
TPR was 11.70
EK was 8.86
Next Step was 8.51
"*note you can add this amount to your score in the following area, but I recommend using the last table is more precise I believe. "

The minimum and maximum differences in practice test from the actual test were
"AAMC 14 max(over), -8 min (under)"
"Kaplan 27 max(over), 3 min (over)"
"TPR 22 max(over), -1 min (under)"
"EK 21 max (over), -5 min (under)"
"NS 21 max(over), 1.5 min (over)"

Analysis 2 Compare Actual to Composite Average, (all test taken, includes,AAMC,KAP,TPR,NS,EK)

------------------------ Score range / Sample / Average Diff. / Standard Deviation / avrg score all test taken (composite average)
ACTUAL TEST Score -> 521-528 / 51 -----/ 12.98 -------- / +-1.04---- --------/ 509.44 <- average score
ACTUAL TEST Score -> 513-520 / 166 ----/ 9.49 --------- / +- 0.97 -------------- / 506.05
ACTUAL TEST Score -> 505-512 / 65---- / 5.72 --------- / +- 0.8 -------------- / 503.07
ACTUAL TEST Score -> 495-504 / 6 ----- / 0.80-------- / +- 1.61------ -------- / 496.91

Analysis 3 Compare AAMC FL 1 score range to actual amount FINAL MCAT (use formula this y= 0.7133x+451.051 to convert AAMC Fl from percentage of Correct to percentile)
------------------------ Score range / Sample / Average amount over in actual test
AAMC FL Scores --- -> 520-511 -- /102 ------- / 6.22
AAMC FL Scores---- -> 507-510 -- / 104 ------ / 5.76
AAMC FL Scores------> 502-506-- / 51 ------- / 6.44

"Conclusion if you take more than 5 practice test, an calculate your composite average score, use one of the following tables and add the amount in the last column. " That will be your approximate MCAT score with a deviation of +-2.5
Analysis 4 PREDICTION
----------------------------------- Score range /Sample / How much you can add as an estimate
Actual overall average all test* --- <<<- 510 / 42 --- / 8.20
Actual overall average all test* --- 509- 505 /124 --- / 10.01
Actual overall average all test* --- 504- 500 /103 --- / 10.55
Actual overall average all test* --- 499-492 / 19 - --- / 11.48
Scoring under don't take the test
NOTE- there was not enough data for averages above 515.
----------For this to be useful you need to take the score you got the first time you took a practice text. Next you need to calculate the average of all your scores (aamc,kap,tpr,ek,ns) added together.
-----------*Actual overall average all test* is the same as composite average explained below.

Analisis 5 People who took at least 5 or more practice tests

Of the 288 sample, 155 took at least 5 practice test or more
A 100% of them scored at least 1 point over their composite average*
92.93% Scored at least 5 points over their composite average
87.1 % scored at least 7 points over their composite average.
65.2 % scored at least 10 points over their composite average.
7.07% scored between 1 and 4 points more than their composite average.
--------------* composite average the sum of all of your scores per test divided by the amounts of test taken.

I just hope this helps predict scores. Remember this is not a definite predictor of your actual score, Statistics are never exact predictors.

--------Made some corrections and actualized some more information. 12/31/2015---------
Use this formulas to convert percentage of correct for AAMC Fl and the EK (substitute the x for the percentage of correct the result should be very close to the percentile average required to make the predictions. )
Formula for AAMC is y= 0.7133x+451.051
For EK use the following formula. y=0.4908x+473.13
-------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I would advise you to not add anything to your nextstep score. they changed the scoring system for that exam. The scores are actually pretty inflated. I got a 57% right on Bis and ended up with a 126 in that section loll

After my first NS exam I was thinking this too, but after taking 4 NS, 4EK and the 2 AAMC I ended up scoring within the same 4 point range on all of them with the added points from the formula in this thread. I think the NS exams are just hard, so the bell curve it closer to a 55% for the 50th percentile.

I would ONLY use the AAMC scored fl about a week before my actual test to predict my score. Don't rely on anything else

But AAMC scored is sometimes not even representative... It's probably the closest but people still score +/- 5-7 points on it all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would cry if I got -5 or -7 havent taken the scored fl yet but damn :(

I've seen some people jump 10 points even

At this point I think EK is the most reliable since NS, TPR, and Kaplan scores don't really correlate

Hopefully a 62% could actually correlate to a 508

I've seen some people jump 10 points even

At this point I think EK is the most reliable since NS, TPR, and Kaplan scores don't really correlate

Hopefully a 62% could actually correlate to a 508

One thing I know for sure: more practice exams usually correlates to a higher score. You get used to seeing those "wtf" passages, being content with what you know, when to skip, etc. These things improve your score because you make sure you get every possible question right that you can get right. Inexperienced test takers may dwell on a purposely difficult calculation or passage and end up running out of time.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing I know for sure: more practice exams usually correlates to a higher score. You get used to seeing those "wtf" passages, being content with what you know, when to skip, etc. These things improve your score because you make sure you get every possible question right that you can get right. Inexperienced test takers may dwell on a purposely difficult calculation or passage and end up running out of time.

Yeah I agree! I've taken 11 total practice tests and I noticed that towards the last tests I was able to deduce info from the passage quickly and get the answer even if I wasn't so familiar with the topic

Yeah I agree! I've taken 11 total practice tests and I noticed that towards the last tests I was able to deduce info from the passage quickly and get the answer even if I wasn't so familiar with the topic

Yep! Same. I know I've improved a lot on my test-taking ability so I'm trusting it will all pay off.

Reactions: 1 user
The NS tests were tough, and I found it hard to improve between themalong with EK. But overall they were good practice for working through graphs and figures and Just learning my personal pitfalls in test taking.

Last edited:
im taking my test in about a week and i really wanted to know if getting above a 504 is likely here! Ive been constantly reading that these practice tests are hard but i dont know how they would compare on the real test.

Princeton FL:
Demo Test: 497
Test 1: 498
Test 2: 497

EK:
EK 1: 46%
EK 2: 58%
EK 3: 60%
EK 4: 59%

im taking my test in about a week and i really wanted to know if getting above a 504 is likely here! Ive been constantly reading that these practice tests are hard but i dont know how they would compare on the real test.

Princeton FL:
Demo Test: 497
Test 1: 498
Test 2: 497

EK:
EK 1: 46%
EK 2: 58%
EK 3: 60%
EK 4: 59%

Have you taken the aamc practice test scored? That should give you a good indication. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I was around that level last year and scored a 497 :/. Doesn't mean anything though because you could do way better than I ended up doing. It's all relative. At this point just memorize your amino acids and give it your best shot. Good luck!

Have you taken the aamc practice test scored? That should give you a good indication. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I was around that level last year and scored a 497 :/. Doesn't mean anything though because you could do way better than I ended up doing. It's all relative. At this point just memorize your amino acids and give it your best shot. Good luck!

do you remember any of your other practice scores? im waiting on my score but got a 62% on ek3, 61% on ek4, NS exam range: 501-507
really trying to gauge what score i should be expecting

This is what i got on my unscored AAMC Fl:
Chem: 53%
Cars: 79%
Bio: 66%
Psych: 64%

Scored AAMC Fl:
Chem: 56% 124
Cars: 58% 123
Bio: 69% 126
Psych: 75% 126

Total:499

What do you think i would get realistically? Was surprised that i dropped so much for cars.

Awesome number crunching. Is anyone aware of more recent statistics that account for the cohort taking practice tests in 2016?