Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: how competitive and where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blain77

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to start med school this summer and am interested in child and adolescent psychiatry. I was wondering if you guys could tell where I could find a listing of all of the fast track psych/C&A combined programs and how competitive they are to get?

Members don't see this ad.

I am aware of only 2 official combined programs (not including the pediatric/psychiatry/C&A combined residencies). They are Yale and UMass. The Yale program is really a research track. I believe it is fairly competitive and you have to have a background in research that demonstrates your commitment. The UMass program is also competitive b/c of its uniqueness and the fact that they only take 2 people (at least that was the case when I applied).

However, there are a lot of programs that have an unofficial policy that if you decide to do the child fellowship, you're virtually guaranteed to have a spot as long as you're in good standing. The programs that I know who offer this are Pitt, Brown, Indiana?, and Penn State. There are likely a lot more then this. The best thing you can do is to contact the programs and ask them directly.

Last edited: