Childhood Demographics States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedHeart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So under the state listed for childhood, AMCAS states:
In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?

I'm having trouble answering this seemingly simple question because I literally spent half of my life in two different states. I assume I should list the one I spent my older years in, though I can weave a somewhat better story with the state I was born in which is why I'm torn. I feel like the early years affected me more, but if I list my birth state that it would look weird since I went to high school in my current state...probably overthinking this.

Members don't see this ad.

So the purpose of this question I believe is to confer additional in-state status for a certain area. I believe Oregon and Ohio have laws that allow students that have moved out of the state but attend high school or middle school in that state to receive in-state tuition. I would actually just check the laws of the two states you are deciding between to see if there is a benefit either way.

So the purpose of this question I believe is to confer additional in-state status for a certain area. I believe Oregon and Ohio have laws that allow students that have moved out of the state but attend high school or middle school in that state to receive in-state tuition. I would actually just check the laws of the two states you are deciding between to see if there is a benefit either way.
Thanks for the feedback! I've spent most of my adult life in my current state, but my birth state was where most of my "disadvantaged" status took place, and I am applying to several schools in that state, which is why I'm tempted to list that but torn.

Your place of birth is on the application as is the name and location of the HS you graduated from. If you are going to write about it in your disadvantaged statement, it might be best to use your birth state.