Choosing between applying to Drew/UCLA or just DGSOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcosma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am trying to figure out if I should apply to Drew/UCLA or just apply to DGSOM. I do have an interest in working with underserved populations and I have a good amount of experience working with underrepresented/first-gen/low-income high school students. I also worked in Anaheim in an emergency room while in college. I'm a first-gen student myself, but I am not from an underrepresented group.

My main questions:
1) If I were to apply to Drew/UCLA, would I at all be reducing my chances of getting into regular ol' DGSOM?
2) Also, would I have to apply to both separately? And, are they both through AMCAS? Would I have to do two separate secondaries?

It would be awesome if someone with experience on applying to Drew/UCLA and DGSOM in general could chime in here. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, you are not at all reducing your chances of getting into DGSOM by applying to Drew. The admissions committees that review your application are completely separate, at least in the pre-interview stage.

And yes, you apply separately. They are listed as two separate school on AMCAS. Two completely different secondaries/fees, etc. I applied to both, ended up interviewing for Drew, not DGSOM.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO Drew is mainly for URM. It is a separate application and committee from DGSOM. Your application at one does not affect the other.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Drew student here! If you are passionate about working with the underserved, regardless of ORM/URM status, then Drew is a great school to apply to. There’s no harm in applying to both. If you’re interested in a dual degree, PRIME is also a great option.

Reactions: 1 users
Dont apply to DGSOM unless you meet the cut off first off.