This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chippopotamus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am in a dilemma trying to choose the research lab I would want to work in. I received an offer from a traditional cancer research lab, where I would be doing things like dissecting mice. The lab has mainly premed undergrads. On the other hand, there is a lab which focuses more on the tech aspect of biology research, like computer models and tools to view the cells. The undergrads are mainly engineering majors.

My question would be, would medical schools (esp research focused) prefer the traditional cancer research lab? I am leaning a bit towards the tech lab's overall atmosphere, but I'm hesitant because I heard through the grape vine that medical schools will look more favorably on medically-related research.
 
I don't think it's true that medical schools look more favorable on "medically related" research, and in any case it sounds like the engineering lab is doing something that benefits medical research. I say go with what you like better!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am in a dilemma trying to choose the research lab I would want to work in. I received an offer from a traditional cancer research lab, where I would be doing things like dissecting mice. The lab has mainly premed undergrads. On the other hand, there is a lab which focuses more on the tech aspect of biology research, like computer models and tools to view the cells. The undergrads are mainly engineering majors.

My question would be, would medical schools (esp research focused) prefer the traditional cancer research lab? I am leaning a bit towards the tech lab's overall atmosphere, but I'm hesitant because I heard through the grape vine that medical schools will look more favorably on medically-related research.
It's a pre-med delusion that we want everything related to Medicine.

Just go and pick whatever is more interesting to you, and/or where you can learn some useful skills in case med schools doesn't work out AND you learn something about the scientific method.
 
But +1 for the mice biting. I’ve seen post docs with completely bloody hands and now I have PTSD when I see mice lol.
In all seriousness, consider:
1) lab culture
2) your role
3) lab productivity
 
Working with mice bites. Literally. Do the tech one.
But +1 for the mice biting. I’ve seen post docs with completely bloody hands and now I have PTSD when I see mice lol.
In all seriousness, consider:
1) lab culture
2) your role
3) lab productivity

Oh, wait till I tell you about rat bites... And show you a hole in the shape of a triangle on my thumb...