Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never saw the "Under Review" status on my app. Had two transcripts. Four is kind of a lot, but I would imagine that you will be verified very soon.

I have two transcripts and I've been under review since yesterday at 4. Looks like it won't be verified today either.

I have two transcripts and I've been under review since yesterday at 4. Looks like it won't be verified today either.

Wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure both of you will def be verified before the first wave of secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol wow. Transfer every semester or so?

Top! New sheriff in town.

Darn you! (to the bolded) Now, I have to wait for another 50 posts. :(

No. Took classes at 3 different places during high school + undergrad + summer classes taken at different college during undergrad + classes I am taking now post-undergrad = 6

Darn you! (to the bolded) Now, I have to wait for another 50 posts. :(

No. Took classes at 3 different places during high school + undergrad + summer classes taken at different college during undergrad + classes I am taking now post-undergrad = 6

Damn. Must have been a pain entering that all into AMCAS. God bless you.

Damn. Must have been a pain entering that all into AMCAS. God bless you.

It was a pain for my undergrad and the others where I had a substantial course load. Two of the high school transcripts had like 1 or 2 classes on them :laugh:

On a happier note, I realized that I had a resume made for my pre-med committee that detailed all my work/activities! Hooray for easier inputting into AMCAS!

I have 6. :(
Yup. Me too. My application was accepted, then put on hold waiting for my last transcript, then moved to 'transcript received, awaiting review' the same day (Jun 1), and has been there ever since. I'm still sure we'll go out in the first group to medical schools. :thumbup:
Edit: I have something like 225-250 total credit hours. It took FOREVER to get it all correct. I really, really, never want to do that again. Ugh. :eek:

Yup. Me too. My application was accepted, then put on hold waiting for my last transcript, then moved to 'transcript received, awaiting review' the same day (Jun 1), and has been there ever since. I'm still sure we'll go out in the first group to medical schools. :thumbup:
Edit: I have something like 225-250 total credit hours. It took FOREVER to get it all correct. I really, really, never want to do that again. Ugh. :eek:

I won't be submitting until mid-late June, and probably won't be complete until early July, but I still think that early, in my book anyways. :cool:

Regarding the edit, tell me about it. Trying to keep track of all those classes and double-checking them to make sure they are correct is what I dread when I read through my AMCAS 20 times for corrections. :thumbdown:

I'd be willing to bet the difference between early July and June 17th is slim to none in the scheme of things.

Can't wait for the Mayo, MCW, and Albert Einstein secondaries ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't wait for the Mayo, MCW, and Albert Einstein secondaries ;)

Me too. Easiest. secondaries. ever. (If I get Mayo's secondary that is. :laugh:) They will be a nice break from those infamous secondaries that have like 4-6 different essays. :scared:

Me too. Easiest. secondaries. ever. (If I get Mayo's secondary that is. :laugh:) They will be a nice break from those infamous secondaries that have like 4-6 different essays. :scared:

Lol I should preface that with an "If" I get the Mayo one. I think there are a few others that have really easy secondaries. Maybe Jeff, Ohio state, Drexel...I can't remember all of them.

Lol I should preface that with an "If" I get the Mayo one. I think there are a few others that have really easy secondaries. Maybe Jeff, Ohio state, Drexel...I can't remember all of them.
Rochester and UCSF that I know of :thumbup:

Didn't see this post the first time. She's teaching in a town that is in, near, or around Okayama prefecture. Where are you teaching? :)

Oh, and congrats on submitting! :D

woah! that's not horribly far from me. maybe two hours on the bullet train?
okayama's a nice place. i visited it once. they, strangely enough, considering it's a rural prefecture, have a brazil-themed amusement park complete with brazilians working there.

woah! that's not horribly far from me. maybe two hours on the bullet train?
okayama's a nice place. i visited it once. they, strangely enough, considering it's a rural prefecture, have a brazil-themed amusement park complete with brazilians working there.

Really? That's cool and weird at the same time. Maybe that prefecture has historically been where lots of Brazilians live if they immigrate to Japan? :shrug:

Are you in the same prefecture?

Really? That's cool and weird at the same time. Maybe that prefecture has historically been where lots of Brazilians live if they immigrate to Japan? :shrug:

Are you in the same prefecture?

i'm a few prefectures away.

Man, 700 characters is NOT enough room to work with. I found myself just barely being able to list my responsibilities, let alone what I got out of the experience. Anyone else experience something similar?

Man, 700 characters is NOT enough room to work with. I found myself just barely being able to list my responsibilities, let alone what I got out of the experience. Anyone else experience something similar?

just be brutal. take all your phrasings and find shorter ways to say them. look at what you wrote and make sure you didn't go on for 2 sentences when one would suffice. find things that don't add much to what you've already said and delete them.

For all of you in Chicago, there's a free Iron and Wine concert on Monday in Millennium Park! Here's the link: http://www.explorechicago.org/city/...ing/events/dca_tourism/dts_iron_and_wine.html

Definitely thinking about hitting it up!

Nice! I wish I could go but Monday I have a metric crapton of things to do. :(

Fridays there's always something good this summer: http://www.mixmag.net/2011/05/16/chicago-presents-lunchbreak-music-series/
:love:

Seriously, that's why I moved to Chicago. Forreals. House music all night long. And the chosen few picnic and fiesta del sol. :love: YAY CHICAGO

I feel as if I'm the only one who has yet to submit their primary. Probably not getting done til after MCAT. Hoping submitting end of June/beginning of July isn't too bad. Probably not, just the neuroticism setting in :D

chuugoku! why are you so knowledgeable about japan, eh? ;)

Took some Japanese language in undergrad, took some Japanese culture classes, and Wikipedia for a map ;) It also helps that I'm an anime/manga nerd. :D

I've developed an interest in college and have wanted to visit since. There are so many places I want to visit besides Tokyo. Have you been to Kyoto or Osaka?

I thought Mayo has no secondary :p

That's the beauty of it. :D

I feel as if I'm the only one who has yet to submit their primary. Probably not getting done til after MCAT. Hoping submitting end of June/beginning of July isn't too bad. Probably not, just the neuroticism setting in :D

Nope. I'm not submitting until mid-late June. Hoping to be verified by early July. :xf:

Thread hasn't moved that much today. Boo.

Took some Japanese language in undergrad, took some Japanese culture classes, and Wikipedia for a map ;) It also helps that I'm an anime/manga nerd. :D

I've developed an interest in college and have wanted to visit since. There are so many places I want to visit besides Tokyo. Have you been to Kyoto or Osaka?

That's the beauty of it. :D

Nope. I'm not submitting until mid-late June. Hoping to be verified by early July. :xf:

Thread hasn't moved that much today. Boo.

No you're not. I haven't submitted yet. Still working on the PS.

You two are definitely not! I'm still working on my PS, filling in my activities, and will probably submit the day I get my MCAT score back if I'm satisfied (June 21). Hopefully by then I could add in my spring quarter grades.

Visit! Japan is amazing. I've been all over, except to Shikoku (which is strange since I'm so close... I'll get there eventually). I've been down to the southern islands of Okinawa and up to Hokakido and a lot of places in between. Kyoto is my favorite city in Japan. It's just so gorgeous. Tokyo is a must, but to be honest, I don't even know what to recommend people to do for sightseeing - I like it for shopping/night life/etc (there isn't much of that where I live...)

I don't think I'll have enough motivation to visit another country, let alone to go for teaching, while I haven't been able to see most of the places in America (Northern, Southern, Canada, Caribbeans, etc.), basically because the time and/or conditions didn't allow me to... It came so interesting as a future American physician forgetting about opportunities to help "your people" here in via Teach America, etc. but going for it in another country. I'm not criticizing, nor am I questioning it. You may have roots from those countries, and may wanna become a little different from all other applicants... I'd prefer to sacrifice my time and energy in the US before considering others. Though, it's my personal thought.

I don't think I'll have enough motivation to visit another country, let alone to go for teaching, while I haven't been able to see most of the places in America (Northern, Southern, Canada, Caribbeans, etc.), basically because the time and/or conditions didn't allow me to... It came so interesting as a future American physician forgetting about opportunities to help "your people" here in via Teach America, etc. but going for it in another country. I'm not criticizing, nor am I questioning it. You may have roots from those countries, and may wanna become a little different from all other applicants... I'd prefer to sacrifice my time and energy in the US before considering others. Though, it's my personal thought.

woah, holy judgment. i'm not a premed choosing a week-long medical mission in honduras and never volunteering in my home country to look good for med school admissions. i didn't come to japan because i have roots here (i don't), or because i want to be different from other applicants (seriously, some people don't decide everything in life based on how it looks to adcoms). i came here because i wanted to. it wasn't a choice between teach for america or teach abroad - i never was interested in teach for america. had i not gotten into my program, i would have found a job in america (though lets be honest - most people i graduated with still don't have jobs), but i did get in, and why would i turn down the chance to do this?

besides, i don't think the hippocratic oath is about serving "your people". it's about helping people, period. i'm not "forgetting" about "my own kind".

woah, holy judgment. i'm not a premed choosing a week-long medical mission in honduras and never volunteering in my home country to look good for med school admissions. i didn't come to japan because i have roots here (i don't), or because i want to be different from other applicants (seriously, some people don't decide everything in life based on how it looks to adcoms). i came here because i wanted to. it wasn't a choice between teach for america or teach abroad - i never was interested in teach for america. had i not gotten into my program, i would have found a job in america (though lets be honest - most people i graduated with still don't have jobs), but i did get in, and why would i turn down the chance to do this?

besides, i don't think the hippocratic oath is about serving "your people". it's about helping people, period. i'm not "forgetting" about "my own kind".

+1

On top of everything the cap'n said, wouldn't you say that a broadened world view and broadened understanding of other peoples only helps an individual, especially in the field of medicine where doctors should be compassionate and relatable to their patients? America is such a hodgepodge of ethnicities that experience outside of the American bubble (as many who seek American healthcare have) would only benefit to relate to your "own kind" (and I assume by that you mean Americans).

I haven't submitted yet either! Don't worry, you're not alone :)

Nice! I wish I could go but Monday I have a metric crapton of things to do. :(

Fridays there's always something good this summer: http://www.mixmag.net/2011/05/16/chicago-presents-lunchbreak-music-series/
:love:

Seriously, that's why I moved to Chicago. Forreals. House music all night long. And the chosen few picnic and fiesta del sol. :love: YAY CHICAGO

I know, the city is seriously amazing. While I'm applying broadly, I'm going to be severely disappointed if I have to leave Chicago for med school. Hoping someone will show me some love!

Except that you kind of are....this entire post sounds judgmental. I understand that you would rather spend your time in the US helping people and hey,thats great. There are a lot of people here that need help. I would go as far as criticize those who go abroad for one week and say they changed the world. That's just annoying. However, I think going abroad is an experience that everyone should have. I believe that volunteering or doing something in another county can help make you a better physician. You become more humanistic and compassionate, and you don't take things in America for granted, especially the health care system. While I did go abroad for a week (that's all I could afford) I'm not running around saying that I was the country's savior. Instead, it gave me a brief insight into a different culture, and I would one day like to return (mentioned these in my app).

And omgosh, not everyone does things to become a better applicant outside the basics. The people that don't are the ones that become the best physicians and get into the best schools-because they're holistic applicants and they do things that they want, not what adcoms want. There are more things in life than trying to please an adcom.

besides, i don't think the hippocratic oath is about serving "your people". it's about helping people, period. i'm not "forgetting" about "my own kind
".

+100000000

I especially agree with the bolded. If you let country borders decide who you're going to help, then you might as well not become a physician. Being a physician is about helping everyone, EVERYONE that needs it.

/rant

Last edited:
+1

On top of everything the cap'n said, wouldn't you say that a broadened world view and broadened understanding of other peoples only helps an individual, especially in the field of medicine where doctors should be compassionate and relatable to their patients? America is such a hodgepodge of ethnicities that experience outside of the American bubble (as many who seek American healthcare have) would only benefit to relate to your "own kind" (and I assume by that you mean Americans).

so true!

+100000000

I especially agree with the bolded. If you let country borders decide who you're going to help, then you might as well not become a physician. Being a physician is about helping everyone, EVERYONE that needs it.

/rant

thanks for the support! :D
how's AMCAS going? you non-submitters aren't missing out on anything btw - after a brief moment of elation about submitting, nothing has changed and life is back to normal. so no rush!

thanks for the support! :D
how's AMCAS going? you non-submitters aren't missing out on anything btw - after a brief moment of elation about submitting, nothing has changed and life is back to normal. so no rush!

It's aight. I'm trying to fit 18 activities into 15 spaces haha and cutting down descriptions so that I can actually talk about what I got out of the experience. Ugh, AMCAS and its restrictions. I just want to submit tomorrow so that I can get the first or second batch of secondaries. I won't be doing them until my MCAT july 16th, so there really is no rush to get them.

So maybe you guys can help me. I want to submit early but my premed advisor has yet to get back to me with her thoughts on my application, including the PS. She hasn't responded to my email and I'm only going to have reliable internet for one more day. So I either have to submit today or tomorrow without her input, wait until the end of June when I have good internet again, or hope that my internet is decent enough sometime in between to submit. I'm leaning toward submitting without her input, but what if she tells me the next day or something that I should have changed a bunch of stuff?? But I really don't want to wait three more weeks to submit when I'm completely ready and have very mediocre stats. HELP!!

**edit: she literally just emailed me with corrections. I will be submitting tonight! Yay!**

Last edited:
So maybe you guys can help me. I want to submit early but my premed advisor has yet to get back to me with her thoughts on my application, including the PS. She hasn't responded to my email and I'm only going to have reliable internet for one more day. So I either have to submit today or tomorrow without her input, wait until the end of June when I have good internet again, or hope that my internet is decent enough sometime in between to submit. I'm leaning toward submitting without her input, but what if she tells me the next day or something that I should have changed a bunch of stuff?? But I really don't want to wait three more weeks to submit when I'm completely ready and have very mediocre stats. HELP!!

Find a way to get Internet next week, wait for the feedback, and submit.

**edit: she literally just emailed me with corrections. I will be submitting tonight! Yay!**

lol she's stalking you on SDN :ninja:

+1

On top of everything the cap'n said, wouldn't you say that a broadened world view and broadened understanding of other peoples only helps an individual, especially in the field of medicine where doctors should be compassionate and relatable to their patients?

I hope so...the alternative is too depressing.

lol she's stalking you on SDN :ninja:

OMG I know, right?! I got the email seriously like 2 minutes after I posted that. :laugh:

Visit! Japan is amazing. I've been all over, except to Shikoku (which is strange since I'm so close... I'll get there eventually). I've been down to the southern islands of Okinawa and up to Hokakido and a lot of places in between. Kyoto is my favorite city in Japan. It's just so gorgeous. Tokyo is a must, but to be honest, I don't even know what to recommend people to do for sightseeing - I like it for shopping/night life/etc (there isn't much of that where I live...)

:love: to the bolded. You've up and down the entire island. :laugh:

That's awesome. Incredibly jealous. I would visit, but sadly I lack funds for a trip like that. How's your teaching experience been? My friend loves her kids and they always do nice things for her to show their appreciation. So cute.

Yes, it's just your opinion, and I don't personally agree with it. I understand your point, but you can't judge someone else decisions based on who you think deserves more of our attention.

woah, holy judgment.

Indeed.

I haven't submitted yet either! Don't worry, you're not alone :)

I know, the city is severely amazing. While I'm applying broadly, I'm going to be severely disappointed if I have to leave Chicago for med school. Hoping someone will show me some love!

Except that you kind of are....this entire post sounds judgmental. I understand that you would rather spend your time in the US helping people and hey,thats great. There are a lot of people here that need help. I would go as far as criticize those who go abroad for one week and say they changed the world. That's just annoying. However, I think going abroad is an experience that everyone should have. I believe that volunteering or doing something in another county can help make you a better physician. You become more humanistic and compassionate, and you don't take things in America for granted, especially the health care system. While I did go abroad for a week (that's all I could afford) I'm not running around saying that I was the country's savior. Instead, it gave me a brief insight into a different culture, and I would one day like to return (mentioned these in my app).

And omgosh, not everyone does things to become a better applicant outside the basics. The people that don't are the ones that become the best physicians and get into the best schools-because they're holistic applicants and they do things that they want, not what adcoms want. There are more things in life than trying to please an adcom.

+100000000

/rant

+1 to your entire post. Also, I will for sure be applying to one school in Chicago (maybe 2, I can't decide :rolleyes:), but you guys are making me really excited to visit (if I get an interview :xf:) and see what all the hub-bub is about. Granted, it might be ridiculously cold and taint my view of it somewhat. Haha.

True, but it would be nice to just be done with this.

AMCAS is going.....ok. I take too much time off lol

We all do, we all do.

We're getting so close to a new page, but I'm not going to be near a computer for a few hours. Damn.

On a different note, I just made baked sweet potato chips. NEW FAVORITE FOOD.

+1 to your entire post. Also, I will for sure be applying to one school in Chicago (maybe 2, I can't decide :rolleyes:), but you guys are making me really excited to visit (if I get an interview :xf:) and see what all the hub-bub is about. Granted, it might be ridiculously cold and taint my view of it somewhat. Haha.

I love Chicago and am applying to three in the area...all ridiculous reaches, but c'est la vie. I visited last summer and fell in love; big city with Midwestern feel and many many different cool neighborhoods, foods, pizza, people. Ah, love it. I haven't, however, ever experienced the cold there...so we'll see about that. I doubt I'll even get to interview up there, but here's hoping!

We're getting so close to a new page, but I'm not going to be near a computer for a few hours. Damn.

On a different note, I just made baked sweet potato chips. NEW FAVORITE FOOD.

So close! I'm keeping tabs :laugh:

And speaking of potato chips...I had french fries for dinner. In Africa. Yes my life is awesome.