Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I diffenately hear you there, it would be mildly embarassing. I will be on for the next few hours and will repond to anyone who posts as long as my laptop is a good laptop. I long since lost any ablity for my battery to charge, and now my charging port likes to stop reconizing my charger. I need to send it in, but I fear the withdrawls.

Uh-oh! What kind do you have?

Coincedentally, my Macbook pro charger stopped working a couple weeks ago, but thankfully, when I took it into the Apple store, they have me a brand spankin new one there

Finally added an MDApps!

Yayyy! I'm kind of using that as my portfolio as well. just so I can have everything organized when I apply
 
Hey everyone! fellow 18'er here.

what do your schedules for these next two semesters look like?

i need your help to make my suicide semesters look more manageable 😛😛
fall: orgo I, physics with calc I, anatomy and physio I, and elementary spanish

spring: orgo II , physics with calc II, anatomy and physio II, and intermediate spanish

​
thanks!!!!
 
Hey everyone! fellow 18'er here.

what do your schedules for these next two semesters look like?

i need your help to make my suicide semesters look more manageable 😛😛
fall: orgo I, physics with calc I, anatomy and physio I, and elementary spanish

spring: orgo II , physics with calc II, anatomy and physio II, and intermediate spanish

​
thanks!!!!

First off, WELCOME!! 😀

Fall:

BIO 152
BIO 152 Lab
CHEM 102
CHEM 102 Lab
BIO 151 Lab
STATS 210
SOCIOLOGY
Random 1 credit class

Spring:

ORGO I
ORGO I Lab
BIO 218 (Microbiology)
PHYSIC 201
UNIV 200 (English Class)
World Cinema
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anatomy and Physiology w/ lab (4)
Trig-Based Physics I w/ lab (4)
Organic I (3)
Introductory Statistics (4)
General Chem II Lab (1)

16 Science Credits
 
Hey everyone! fellow 18'er here.

what do your schedules for these next two semesters look like?

i need your help to make my suicide semesters look more manageable 😛😛
fall: orgo I, physics with calc I, anatomy and physio I, and elementary spanish

spring: orgo II , physics with calc II, anatomy and physio II, and intermediate spanish

​
thanks!!!!


Why you taking Calc based Physics? General thoughts are that Algerbra based is easier and just as helpful for the MCAT.
 
Why you taking Calc based Physics? General thoughts are that Algerbra based is easier and just as helpful for the MCAT.

Some schools have requirements to take calc based physics (like mine). Also, calc based (from what I've heard) helps when taking the MCAT and adcoms like it when you go for the challenging course.
 
Good point. Though I'm sure you will impress them with other pre-reqs too 😀

Calc based physics sounds a lot better than algebra, seeing how Calculus was basically created to explain physics
 
Most schools cannot tell. At my school we have Intro to physics, General Physics, and Physics. Can you tell which is which? Besides if you search there are about 100 threads that support my line of thought. I guess if it is explictly stated by a school you are bust, but a vast majority don't care.
 
Egad! I must save 2018 from the second page!

Whats everyone up to today? I just got a nice juicy scrape on my abdomen from a longboarding spill 🙁

That sucks, bro. I still have a circular scar on my leg from where I crashed into a bicylist while going downhill at night in the rain like two years ago.


Final today - A
Final tomorrow - Hopefully an A

Done with class until August 15th. *sigh*

Good luck!

Woot! 500th post!

Congrats!

Great, now there's a c/o 2019 thread. We cannot let them surpass us.

We must crush them!

Finally added an MDApps!

Nice!

Hey everyone! fellow 18'er here.

what do your schedules for these next two semesters look like?

i need your help to make my suicide semesters look more manageable 😛😛
fall: orgo I, physics with calc I, anatomy and physio I, and elementary spanish

spring: orgo II , physics with calc II, anatomy and physio II, and intermediate spanish

​
thanks!!!!

Welcome!


I have:

Organic Chemistry II
Organic Chemisty I Lab
Calculus II
General Microbiology
General Microbiology Lab
Professional Ethics
Plant and Animal Form and Function
Plant and Animal Form and Function Lab

18 credits total.
 
That sucks, bro. I still have a circular scar on my leg from where I crashed into a bicylist while going downhill at night in the rain like two years ago.

Welcome!


I have:

Organic Chemistry II
Organic Chemisty I Lab
Calculus II
General Microbiology
General Microbiology Lab
Professional Ethics
Plant and Animal Form and Function
Plant and Animal Form and Function Lab

18 credits total.

Ouchhh, are there a lot of hills in NM? If there are, it would be a great place for longboarding/bike riding


Damn, that looks like one hell of a schedule my friend. Do you know what Pland and Animal Form and Function is?
 
Hey everyone! fellow 18'er here.

what do your schedules for these next two semesters look like?

i need your help to make my suicide semesters look more manageable 😛😛
fall: orgo I, physics with calc I, anatomy and physio I, and elementary spanish

spring: orgo II , physics with calc II, anatomy and physio II, and intermediate spanish

​
thanks!!!!

FALL
Intro Organic Chemistry 1 and Lab
Intro Physics - Mechanics and Lab
Intro to Deductive Logic 1
Language Acquisition 1
Molecular Biology

WINTER
Cell Biology & Metabolism
Intro Organic Chemistry 2 and Lab
Intro Physics-Electromagnetism and Lab
Ling Aspects of Bilingualism
Syntax 1

And I need to ramp up my extracurriculars because I didn't have any real ones last year. 🙁

My physics is algebra based. Only engineers, masochists, and physics majors take the calc based one. 😉

17 days left at home for me!!! Eeep, so excited. What about everyone else?
 
FALL
Intro Organic Chemistry 1 and Lab
Intro Physics - Mechanics and Lab
Intro to Deductive Logic 1
Language Acquisition 1
Molecular Biology

WINTER
Cell Biology & Metabolism
Intro Organic Chemistry 2 and Lab
Intro Physics-Electromagnetism and Lab
Ling Aspects of Bilingualism
Syntax 1

And I need to ramp up my extracurriculars because I didn't have any real ones last year. 🙁

My physics is algebra based. Only engineers, masochists, and physics majors take the calc based one. 😉

17 days left at home for me!!! Eeep, so excited. What about everyone else?

What's Syntax I?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What did you do last year?

EC's I'm planing to do (hopefully) during the semester:

Join Tennis Club
Join Ultimate Frisbee Club (if the two clubs conflict, tennis superseeds UF)
Hopefully work in a Research Lab
Hopefully get a job as an ER Tech or EMT
 
What did you do last year?

EC's I'm planing to do (hopefully) during the semester:

Join Tennis Club
Join Ultimate Frisbee Club (if the two clubs conflict, tennis superseeds UF)
Hopefully work in a Research Lab
Hopefully get a job as an ER Tech or EMT

I focused on studying and getting a summer job. I laid some very thin groundwork for research. I adjusted to college and Canada. Like I said, I did nothing. 🙁 This year, I'm planning on sports, first aid, and a job at the caf. My schedule will be packed, but that's the way I like it. 😀 It felt weird this last year not having a full day.
 
I focused on studying and getting a summer job. I laid some very thin groundwork for research. I adjusted to college and Canada. Like I said, I did nothing. 🙁 This year, I'm planning on sports, first aid, and a job at the caf. My schedule will be packed, but that's the way I like it. 😀 It felt weird this last year not having a full day.

Thats the way I like my days too 🙂 Well, not neccessarily packed minute to minute, but in a set structure so I know whats about to happen. What sports are you playing?


Phase 1 of my research adventure complete: Compile a list of professors I want to work in a lab with along with their emails. Next step, write the emails saying why I want to work with them
 
What did you do last year?

EC's I'm planing to do (hopefully) during the semester:

Join Tennis Club
Join Ultimate Frisbee Club (if the two clubs conflict, tennis superseeds UF)
Hopefully work in a Research Lab
Hopefully get a job as an ER Tech or EMT

haha this sounds like my life next year (except replacing the athletics with dance) 🙂
 
This semester I am going to keep doing EMS related stuff and the two other clubs I am in (one is super low commitment, but super fun. The other has a pretty high commitment for a club).

I want to add in some tutoring, get some more shadowing, and maybe find a fun sport like club, such as martial arts or frisbe 🙂

My senior year (I plan on a super-senior year) I am thinking about applying for an ER tech job. I quailfy now, but this semester is my first one back and I don't want to put that type of demand on myself right now. I don't need a repeat of last year where I was filling up my plate to the point that when I got sick and had a ton of personal problems crop up I couldn't juggle it all.
 
Thats the way I like my days too 🙂 Well, not neccessarily packed minute to minute, but in a set structure so I know whats about to happen. What sports are you playing?


Phase 1 of my research adventure complete: Compile a list of professors I want to work in a lab with along with their emails. Next step, write the emails saying why I want to work with them

I play lacrosse.

And I feel you on the research thing. I suggest a spreadsheet.

I have my eye on this neuroscientist at the MNI, but I can't e-mail her until lacrosse is over and some time is freed up. 🙁 I'm hoping to do that next summer with my MCAT stuff.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohhhhhh the trouble I get into at 6:30 in the morning went none of you guys are on line! :laugh:
Haha what are you doing up that early squish!?!?

I play lacrosse.

And I feel you on the research thing. I suggest a spreadsheet.

I have my eye on this neuroscientist at the MNI, but I can't e-mail her until lacrosse is over and some time is freed up. 🙁 I'm hoping to do that next summer with my MCAT stuff.

Oh nice, I love lacrosse, though I was never good at it.

Do you have a spreadsheet for your stuff? Yeah, I'm in a pickle too, because I want to join and commit to these clubs, but I also really want commit to a lab too.
 
Haha what are you doing up that early squish!?!?



Oh nice, I love lacrosse, though I was never good at it.

Do you have a spreadsheet for your stuff? Yeah, I'm in a pickle too, because I want to join and commit to these clubs, but I also really want commit to a lab too.

I have a very extensive spreadsheet for medical schools I may be interested in (I like having a target) and I've been compiling info for my profs so I can ask them about their research and keep track of office hours and not confuse myself. 🙂
 
I have a very extensive spreadsheet for medical schools I may be interested in (I like having a target) and I've been compiling info for my profs so I can ask them about their research and keep track of office hours and not confuse myself. 🙂

Like a spreadsheet of med school applicant stats or things about the med school?
 
Like a spreadsheet of med school applicant stats or things about the med school?


Why not? I know a few friends doing this with grad programs. It keeps everything in one spot. I've heard of people going crazy with highlighters and post-it notes on their MSARs. In fact I've been meaning to make one myself.



@Doc, for some reason I woke up early and couldn't go back to bed so I trolled SDN instead.




@Darwin My freshman year was the year before last, but it was pretty good. Knocked out some prereqs, got loads of EC's in not because I knew I should but because I was looking for fun things to keep me busy, and a respectable 3.5 GPA.
 
Like a spreadsheet of med school applicant stats or things about the med school?

Both. I have avg stats, location, prereqs, LizzyM numbers, and notes about the school (eg state ties I should include in Wisconsin, regional ties for NY schools, notes about my first impressions, any particular program or focus, etc.)

Between this and my prof sheet, I would make an excellent stalker. What a waste. 😉
 
Both. I have avg stats, location, prereqs, LizzyM numbers, and notes about the school (eg state ties I should include in Wisconsin, regional ties for NY schools, notes about my first impressions, any particular program or focus, etc.)

Between this and my prof sheet, I would make an excellent stalker. What a waste. 😉


Why not? I know a few friends doing this with grad programs. It keeps everything in one spot. I've heard of people going crazy with highlighters and post-it notes on their MSARs. In fact I've been meaning to make one myself.

That's a really smart idea.

Ohhhhh and How is 2019 already on their 4th page?!?!???????

Cause we're awesome 😎
 
HAHA far from awesome! Most of your first few pages is you being dissed by more senior SDN members. Can't even wait until you guys have steped foot into a college before making a Medical class thread? 🙄
 
Both. I have avg stats, location, prereqs, LizzyM numbers, and notes about the school (eg state ties I should include in Wisconsin, regional ties for NY schools, notes about my first impressions, any particular program or focus, etc.)

Between this and my prof sheet, I would make an excellent stalker. What a waste. 😉

For more spreadsheet help: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618

Nothing like a good old-fashioned collaboration!

I was going to start doing this towards the end of my 2nd year. Come 3rd year, its really hammering time. Plus I need to get my hands on an MSAR


How'd everyone do freshman year?

Decent. Not bad, but not great. I have a ways to improve. How was yours?

Very true. I love my SDN family, even the younger siblings I argue with!

Haha I'm with ya squish! Like I said, I don't have any pre-med friends except for my SDN family
 
HAHA far from awesome! Most of your first few pages is you being dissed by more senior SDN members. Can't even wait until you guys have steped foot into a college before making a Medical class thread? 🙄

Boo... They're just jealous at how much cooler we are.

And I believe you'll got that same treatment too
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad