Class of 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had my file review with Illinois, and I think their recommendations may be helpful to people applying this cycle.

*When filling out the experience section, they prefer full sentences versus listing the duties of the experience.
*High school experiences are relevant (Wish I knew this!!)
*In the personal statement, they want to hear about your adult decision to wanting to become a veterinarian. The school wants to know that you know vet med is more of a people business than an animal business.
*It's recommended to have at least one more LOR than needed just in case one doesn't submit in time.
*Illinois will be ignoring the short VMCAS essays and will be having applicants submit a different personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
*Illinois will be ignoring the short VMCAS essays and will be having applicants submit a different personal statement.
Are they still doing their more “research essay” type one too?
(Tbh I actually really enjoyed doing mine last year and got to read about dogs instead of Zika)

Are they still doing their more “research essay” type one too?
(Tbh I actually really enjoyed doing mine last year and got to read about dogs instead of Zika)
Yep, they'll still have the research essay. They just want more length for the personal statement (because those mini essays are kinda dumb)
I agree. It was way more fun to write about dogs than Zika

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, they'll still have the research essay. They just want more length for the personal statement (because those mini essays are kinda dumb)

Good to hear! I'm applying to Illinois, and these mini-essays are just... odd. I feel like I'm responding to short answer questions on a test- there's not enough space to add context and personality to each one as I'd like to do in a personal statement.

Do you know what the research essay topic is this year? Curious if it’s a decently fun sounding one.

Good to hear! I'm applying to Illinois, and these mini-essays are just... odd. I feel like I'm responding to short answer questions on a test- there's not enough space to add context and personality to each one as I'd like to do in a personal statement.
Yeah they’re terrible. You at least get more characters than last year

Do you know what the research essay topic is this year? Curious if it’s a decently fun sounding one.
It’s about using antibiotics in food animals. Should be somewhat interesting to write about.

Ding ding ding! I live in PA. UPenn is exorbitantly expensive, and I absolutely don't want to live in the city. So I'm applying to several OOS schools (NC State, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, amongst others), and hoping I can get in somewhere that I can change residency. I'm also very flexible about relocating and don't particularly care if I stay in PA. If I don't get in first round, I suppose I'll relocate to one of the states with a school I'd like to attend and reapply as a resident.

Edit: To clarify, it's not all cities I'm opposed to... but UPenn is in the center of Philly, and apparently not in the greatest part of Philly (according to friends who live in other parts of Philly). I'm would prefer to live somewhere more rural, or at least not in the center of quite such a large city.

Thats a pretty inaccurate description of Penn’s campus safety, IMO. I don’t think it’s any more or less safe than any other city campus. I wouldn’t walk by myself around that area at 2am, but my best friend has lived a couple blocks further than the vet school into University City for 4 years, and she does fine. No issues walking her dog late at night or anything. I also have been at school with most of my classes right across from the vet school for 2 years, and have felt unsafe exactly once (at night by myself). You have to be somewhat smart about it, but you shouldn’t write Penn off due to the safety of the area - it’s really fine. That being said, I COMPLETELY agree with your other reasons for dropping Penn down on your list. I could establish in-state residency easily there, and it’s not even on my list, period.

Hey y'all! New to typing on this forum, but I have been keeping up with people's comments. I have a question -- anyone else applying to Cornell who go AP English Comp. credit? Apparently they do not accept AP English so I am currently awaiting approval of my other writing courses....

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all! New to typing on this forum, but I have been keeping up with people's comments. I have a question -- anyone else applying to Cornell who go AP English Comp. credit? Apparently they do not accept AP English so I am currently awaiting approval of my other writing courses....
I will be attending Cornell in the fall and had the exact same problem! At my undergrad, freshman take English 112 and then juniors take "junior-year writing". Each is 3 credits and satisfies the 6 credit requirement, but since I took both english APs and got 5's on both of them, I had to have a backup plan. On their website it says "For English, you will need two writing courses. These can be in any subject if they are either designated 'writing intensive' or 50% or more of the final grade is based on written work. If the words 'writing', 'composition', or 'thesis' appear in the title(s) then this is automatic as long as the courses meet the minimum credit and grade requirement. A 163 on the Verbal GRE will also satisfy the requirement."
I ended up taking a public speaking course and a biology lab where there were intense lab reports and an intensely detailed notebook that counted for over 60% of the grade. You just have to confirm these classes by sending them and transcript (and sometimes a letter from the professor explaining how detailed the writing is). The most important part of the class is that you're being judged based on content (composition) and clarity. :) But don't hesitate to contact the admissions department as Jennifer Mailey is amazing!!! She was super helpful during the whole process :biglove: If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out to me :)

I will be attending Cornell in the fall and had the exact same problem! At my undergrad, freshman take English 112 and then juniors take "junior-year writing". Each is 3 credits and satisfies the 6 credit requirement, but since I took both english APs and got 5's on both of them, I had to have a backup plan. On their website it says "For English, you will need two writing courses. These can be in any subject if they are either designated 'writing intensive' or 50% or more of the final grade is based on written work. If the words 'writing', 'composition', or 'thesis' appear in the title(s) then this is automatic as long as the courses meet the minimum credit and grade requirement. A 163 on the Verbal GRE will also satisfy the requirement."
I ended up taking a public speaking course and a biology lab where there were intense lab reports and an intensely detailed notebook that counted for over 60% of the grade. You just have to confirm these classes by sending them and transcript (and sometimes a letter from the professor explaining how detailed the writing is). The most important part of the class is that you're being judged based on content (composition) and clarity. :) But don't hesitate to contact the admissions department as Jennifer Mailey is amazing!!! She was super helpful during the whole process :biglove: If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out to me :)

Thanks! I have been emailing back and forth with her today.

Ding ding ding! I live in PA. UPenn is exorbitantly expensive, and I absolutely don't want to live in the city. So I'm applying to several OOS schools (NC State, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, amongst others), and hoping I can get in somewhere that I can change residency. I'm also very flexible about relocating and don't particularly care if I stay in PA. If I don't get in first round, I suppose I'll relocate to one of the states with a school I'd like to attend and reapply as a resident.

Edit: To clarify, it's not all cities I'm opposed to... but UPenn is in the center of Philly, and apparently not in the greatest part of Philly (according to friends who live in other parts of Philly). I'm would prefer to live somewhere more rural, or at least not in the center of quite such a large city.

I feel ya. Also applying to all OOS schools because of UPenn's crazy IS tuition. :yeahright:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel ya. Also applying to all OOS schools because of UPenn's crazy IS tuition. :yeahright:

UPenn seems to offer more scholarships than many schools (based entirely anecdotally on the fact that several sdners mentioned receiving substantial scholarships from them this cycle). If that's your only qualm, you might consider applying and seeing if they offer you one that would make it cheaper or at least comparable to OOS schools.

UPenn seems to offer more scholarships than many schools (based entirely anecdotally on the fact that several sdners mentioned receiving substantial scholarships from them this cycle). If that's your only qualm, you might consider applying and seeing if they offer you one that would make it cheaper or at least comparable to OOS schools.
I thought penns IS tuition was like 43k? Which is already a bit cheaper than a lot of OOS schools

I thought penns IS tuition was like 43k? Which is already a bit cheaper than a lot of OOS schools

perhaps.jpg

Nah. VIN's got tuition at 219k for 4 years (Penn is hiking tuition faster than most schools). Add to that Philly COL, and the only more expensive school for a PA resident is Midwestern. Even if you look at tuition alone, there are still 29 schools that are cheaper. As PA resident, it's super irritating.

Nah. VIN's got tuition at 219k for 4 years (Penn is hiking tuition faster than most schools). Add to that Philly COL, and the only more expensive school for a PA resident is Midwestern. Even if you look at tuition alone, there are still 29 schools that are cheaper. As PA resident, it's super irritating.
Does vin take into account that PA resident subsidy on penns website?

Does vin take into account that PA resident subsidy on penns website?
Pretty sure yeah. Subsidy is $10,000 a year. Total COA OOS is roughly $40,000 more on VIN. I mean, even if we go off the COA that Penn provides on their website (which includes the subsidy), it's still roughly $323,000 IS. There's 37 OOS schools that are cheaper than that, according to VIN.

Last I checked (on Penn's website) it was listed at appx $56k for resident tuition ONLY. Their expected additional costs/budget brings anticipated costs per year up to $75k for an in-state student and $85k for OOS. Meanwhile, tuition for OOS at half the schools I'm looking at is $40-45k, and seem to have a comparatively lower cost of living/additional cost.
And while Penn does offer scholarships, I don't really expect to qualify for any. I'm not special, I don't have extensive research experience or five years of working in a clinic. I have a good GPA and academic record, but I don't have nearly the experience and qualities that some other people have. My odds of getting in are stacked against me and I guess I view it as; why would I spend money and time applying to a school I am not going to unless I get a scholarship (when that's already very unlikely) instead of using that money for a school that is more financially feasible if I get in.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Third time applicant here and following this thread through the process as well <3

As a brief interlude from the stress and worry-

What is everyone on here interested in doing in vet med? (As in equine, small animal, large animal, specialty medicine, etc)
As implied by my avatar, I'm an avid equestrian and am planning on going into equine medicine, although my other interest is in emergency medicine.

Last I checked (on Penn's website) it was listed at appx $56k for resident tuition ONLY.
0E95CF49-C059-4DB0-99E5-6D8DE4D587A9.jpeg

Tuition and fees is 53k but there’s a 10k PA subsidy.
Living expenses are definitely something to take into account, but I personally wouldn’t completely eliminate it and not apply.

Last edited:
This thread makes me feel old!

This thread makes me feel old!

Time flies...and makes me super happy I never have to apply to vet school ever again (sorry ‘23-ers...you’ll be on the other side soon enough!).

What is everyone on here interested in doing in vet med? (As in equine, small animal, large animal, specialty medicine, etc)
As implied by my avatar, I'm an avid equestrian and am planning on going into equine medicine, although my other interest is in emergency medicine.
My problem is I am happy working with nearly any species (except not as much cats) so whenever I think I have it figured out I change my mind :laugh:

Always used to say internal medicine, then research, then wildlife (specifically, marine animals)
So I'm conceding to going where the wind takes me

Looking to go public health/ research route. I'm currently in the Army Reserves and hoping to get the HPSP scholarship to go active duty (and get school paid for).

I am primarily interested in small animal care.

Question -- do vet schools care about volunteer experience in high school, or just in college?

I would (and did) include high school volunteer experience.

Thanks! One more question (since I noticed you are already accepted into veterinary school) -- do you think it would be worth it to put something like high schools sports on the application? I played competitive volleyball for 8 years, but did not know if it is relevant at all.

Thanks! One more question (since I noticed you are already accepted into veterinary school) -- do you think it would be worth it to put something like high schools sports on the application? I played competitive volleyball for 8 years, but did not know if it is relevant at all.

I absolutely would include high school sports.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. MSU told me to include high school sports as it helps to show you as a unique and whole person

In response to some people asking about the experience descriptions, my advisor is on admissions at OSU and she said she prefers more of a bulleted resume format! Put the most exciting things at the top. She said application readers would rather glance at it than have to read paragraphs. Maybe other schools have different preferences but that was hers :)

In response to some people asking about the experience descriptions, my advisor is on admissions at OSU and she said she prefers more of a bulleted resume format! Put the most exciting things at the top. She said application readers would rather glance at it than have to read paragraphs. Maybe other schools have different preferences but that was hers :)
Illinois is the opposite :laugh:
They prefer full sentences describing your duties

(But also, there are three OSUs)

Curious -- is there a thread anywhere where people who already got into veterinary school post their credentials?

I haven't seen any threads for the individual schools for applicants this cycle??? We are slacking!

Illinois is the opposite :laugh:
They prefer full sentences describing your duties

(But also, there are three OSUs)

My bad, The OSU (Ohio State) ;)

sorry had to do it haha.

Is there anyone else applying to Midwestern?? I can't find contact info so I can ask a question about a course requirement

I have heard some rumors that some schools might be doing away with the GRE.... is this true??