Class of 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard some rumors that some schools might be doing away with the GRE.... is this true??

All three of those don’t require it iirc
Also Purdue.
Thanks!! And just to be sure.. There isn’t a different test in its place?

Members don't see this ad.

So.... does the University of Edinburgh have a supplemental application fee? Trying to figure out how long I can cry about the expenses of applying lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your IS? Don't forget to consider all the state side schools that let you gain residency!
Is there a list of these schools/does someone know this off the top of their head? It'd be super helpful to someone like me with no IS school.

Is there a list of these schools/does someone know this off the top of their head? It'd be super helpful to someone like me with no IS school.

This calculates and ranks cost of attendance, tuition, tuition + interest, etc (you can choose which cost you want to see) depending on which state you have residency. It takes into account schools at which you can gain in-state residency.

VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map

Of the top of my head these schools include-
NCSU
Washington State
Davis
Mizzou

That may not be all of them but those are the ones I know of.

Reactions: 1 user

WSU, Mizzou, NCSU, Ohio State (although it's still pretty expensive), UC Davis

This calculates and ranks cost of attendance, tuition, tuition + interest, etc (you can choose which cost you want to see) depending on which state you have residency. It takes into account schools at which you can gain in-state residency.

VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map

Of the top of my head these schools include-
NCSU
Washington State
Davis
Mizzou

That may not be all of them but those are the ones I know of.
Ohio State does as well. And someone said Minnesota does?
But for NCSU, make sure you look into it before applying because they apparently just changed the rules (state did, not the school themselves, but now all schools are the same in NC or something like that???)

Ohio State does as well. And someone said Minnesota does?
But for NCSU, make sure you look into it before applying because they apparently just changed the rules (state did, not the school themselves, but now all schools are the same in NC or something like that???)

Yes- Ohio does but they are still more expensive than many other schools that don't offer in-state to OOS students.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that said Minnesota used to offer it but no longer does? Or it is theoretically possible but very difficult? Not sure- either way I wouldn't count on Minnesota because I do feel that the VIN map is accurate and Minnesota is one of the more expensive ones.

Yes- Ohio does but they are still more expensive than many other schools that don't offer in-state to OOS students.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that said Minnesota used to offer it but no longer does? Or it is theoretically possible but very difficult? Not sure- either way I wouldn't count on Minnesota because I do feel that the VIN map is accurate and Minnesota is one of the more expensive ones.
I know. I was just making a more complete list that includes OSU because it technically does. I have no idea if UMN does but one or two people on here said they do so it’s something for OP to look into.

Last edited:

Minnesota does offer it but you have to go through a few hoops and it’s not something they like to advertise. I didn’t know they did until a second year at my interview told me.

Reactions: 2 users

Re NCSU - it is still an option to gain residency for tuition purposes, its just that this year they switched from a person reading applications to an automated computer "test" which asks questions to determine if you qualify. Since this is the first year of implementation, the school isn't sure if/how it'll affect how easy it is to become a resident. The lawyer I talked to who helps the OOS students made it sound like she didn't expect it to be any harder than before. We just don't know yet.

As a brief interlude from the stress and worry-

What is everyone on here interested in doing in vet med? (As in equine, small animal, large animal, specialty medicine, etc)
As implied by my avatar, I'm an avid equestrian and am planning on going into equine medicine, although my other interest is in emergency medicine.

Racetrack Equine Medicine is where I would love to head. It's what I've been doing for a bit now and I love it! So much fun, and it has a lot more diversity than I anticipated.

@Moanswoptr that sounds really interesting! I'm a year behind you all but my area of interest is in equine sports medicine (or equine surgery as a stretch). I work for a traveling equine sports medicine doctor now. We just got back from Mississippi and today went to Waco, TX. Tomorrow is Tunica Mississippi then Kentucky, Alabama, and somewhere else. It is a blur but he is teaching me a lot. I'll be following you and will love to hear about your equine experiences!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about LORs...I work at a hospital that has several doctors. I love them all and would love to get LOR from several of them (2-3). Would admissions question why I have most of my veterinary LOR from the same hospital? I have worked at a few other other hospitals in the past.

Question about LORs...I work at a hospital that has several doctors. I love them all and would love to get LOR from several of them (2-3). Would admissions question why I have most of my veterinary LOR from the same hospital? I have worked at a few other other hospitals in the past.
in the same boat here!

A variety of experience is good, of course. But if you have a good relationship with more than one doctor in the practice, I don’t think it’s an issue to get multiple LORs from doctors working in the same practice.

If you think they'll all have similar stuff to say; that'd be the only reason not to. Someone at another hospital might be able to comment on a different skill set.

I'm gonna quote what I said to someone with a similar question in the VMCAS thread:
I would try to get one from someone else if possible, like a professor or a non-vet work supervisor. I don't think 3 strong letters from those vets would be bad necessarily, but ideally you want letters from people who have seen you in a variety of environments and can speak to your abilities there. I think a strong letter from a professor or academic advisor would be pretty valuable considering the first 2-3 years of vet school are mostly in the classroom.
But I would add that I'd go for a strong letter from someone who knows you well vs. a generic letter from a professor or whoever.

For this app cycle, all 3 of my VMCAS LORs came from the same place (my school)--2 DVMs and one LVT, although one of those DVMs is the program director and all 3 of them have served as professors/instructors to me at some point. I was somewhat worried about how the lack of diversity would be received, but for what it's worth, I had an Ohio State file review last month and was told that they loved the LORs.

Does anyone know of a thread where we can get help with our essays? thank you so much

@Moanswoptr that sounds really interesting! I'm a year behind you all but my area of interest is in equine sports medicine (or equine surgery as a stretch). I work for a traveling equine sports medicine doctor now. We just got back from Mississippi and today went to Waco, TX. Tomorrow is Tunica Mississippi then Kentucky, Alabama, and somewhere else. It is a blur but he is teaching me a lot. I'll be following you and will love to hear about your equine experiences!

That sounds amazing! I think traveling for sports medicine would be so cool. I mean, racetrack is mostly sports medicine so I'm sure we have some pretty similar experiences!

Hi! Long time lurker and now excited first time applicant. I have a question about VMCAS I hope you all can help me with. The website was kind of helpful but maybe someone else had a similar issue and has some advice. So before I decided I wanted to be a vet, I worked in the equine industry. I did a few different jobs- interned on a Morgan training/breeding farm, managed a thoroughbred breeding farm, and was an FEI groom for the winter show season. Now I know most of what I did is animal experience. However, I did work along veterinarians quite often. It was just part of my job. Heck, we had so many horses on the thoroughbred farm that the vet was out every week. I was involved in lots of things, from treating injuries to preg checks to Coggins tests. Is that considered veterinary experience? I feel like it should be because I was working with a vet but I don't know. Much thanks to anyone who can offer some insight.

In other threads I've seen there is supposedly a personal statement section on the application that is 5000 words(characters? Not sure). But I just see 3 essay questions that are 1500 and 2000 words. Anyone see a area for a "personal statement"? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything!

Hi! Long time lurker and now excited first time applicant. I have a question about VMCAS I hope you all can help me with. The website was kind of helpful but maybe someone else had a similar issue and has some advice. So before I decided I wanted to be a vet, I worked in the equine industry. I did a few different jobs- interned on a Morgan training/breeding farm, managed a thoroughbred breeding farm, and was an FEI groom for the winter show season. Now I know most of what I did is animal experience. However, I did work along veterinarians quite often. It was just part of my job. Heck, we had so many horses on the thoroughbred farm that the vet was out every week. I was involved in lots of things, from treating injuries to preg checks to Coggins tests. Is that considered veterinary experience? I feel like it should be because I was working with a vet but I don't know. Much thanks to anyone who can offer some insight.
There's a chart... @SkiOtter ? Anyway since you weren't working directly under a vet it's animal experience I think. Kind of think of this like if you take your dog to the vet because it's sick you're not gonna count that as vet experience when you follow vet instructions after and for the time you were at your appointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In other threads I've seen there is supposedly a personal statement section on the application that is 5000 words(characters? Not sure). But I just see 3 essay questions that are 1500 and 2000 words. Anyone see a area for a "personal statement"? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything!
The personal statement was replaced by the 3 questions

Reactions: 2 users
I mean the closest thing I can think of is the Explanation Statement that you can find under the “personal information” section and then under the “other information” tab

I mean the closest thing I can think of is the Explanation Statement that you can find under the “personal information” section and then under the “other information” tab
Not the explanation statement.
The PS for the c/o 2021 cycle and earlier was not the three questions, it was the long 5000 character PS they’re talking about. Changed it last cycle.

There's a chart... @SkiOtter ? Anyway since you weren't working directly under a vet it's animal experience I think. Kind of think of this like if you take your dog to the vet because it's sick you're not gonna count that as vet experience when you follow vet instructions after and for the time you were at your appointment.
Chart is here
Longer experience descriptions are here

So the PS is not on this cycle?
Not the explanation statement.
The PS for the c/o 2021 cycle and earlier was not the three questions, it was the long 5000 character PS they’re talking about. Changed it last cycle.

So the PS is not on this cycle?
The 3 essay questions are the personal statement. It’s just that it used to only be one essay question. This is literally the only difference.

Also, I came in to college with credit hours that essentially made me a sophomore by my second semester. Do I put that under a sophomore year even though it was my first year of college (so like by 30 credit hours to progress to my next class level) or do I just go by years so it was my first year regardless?

Also, I came in to college with credit hours that essentially made me a sophomore by my second semester. Do I put that under a sophomore year even though it was my first year of college (so like by 30 credit hours to progress to my next class level) or do I just go by years so it was my first year regardless?

You put it how it looks on the transcripts. So my AP credits were placed in my freshman year fall semester with no grades as a test out. On VMCAS, they were under fall semester freshman year.

For experiences section do under supervisor and title, do we put titles such as Dr. or are they referring to if the supervisor was owner or manger etc?

For experiences section do under supervisor and title, do we put titles such as Dr. or are they referring to if the supervisor was owner or manger etc?
I put their job title. Like for my non-vet job, the title of my supervisor was “office manager,” for volunteering it was “volunteer coordinator,” for my vet job it was “veterinarian (might’ve put DVM??).”

And do they contact the supervisor or the organization head? I just want to ensure they are contacting someone who knows about it.

And do they contact the supervisor or the organization head? I just want to ensure they are contacting someone who knows about it.
Put down whoever supervised you. Doesn’t matter if they’re the organization head or not. For my volunteering, the CEO of the humane society sure as **** would not know who I am or what I’ve done at the humane society if schools were to contact her. The volunteer coordinator would. So their name and contact info got put down. If the head of the organization IS the one who is supervising you, then yeah put them down. If they aren’t, don’t put them.

Good luck everyone, put your best self forward :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
I wrote mine in September last year, you're doing great

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile
Meeeeee too. I did my entire application two weeks before it was due and was only able to submit it on time because they extended the VMCAS deadline due to hurricane Harvey which I was greatly affected by. I don’t recommend it tho.

* stares at essays* Why did I leave this until July @_@

I haven't started mine either and right now I have eight schools I'm planning to apply to :/. I've been too busy focusing on my GRE.

Meeeeee too. I did my entire application two weeks before it was due and was only able to submit it on time because they extended the VMCAS deadline due to hurricane Harvey which I was greatly affected by. I don’t recommend it tho.
Me too haha except it was Irma that affected me, I basically did my entire application on my friends couch as a refugee. Submitted it one hour before the email about the deadline extension was sent out, not sure if that was a blessing since I was done or a curse because I could’ve had longer lol

I haven't started mine either and right now I have eight schools I'm planning to apply to :/. I've been too busy focusing on my GRE.
I have I think 7 and as someone who has taken the GRE twice put your energy into that and do a little at a time on the essays. I'm an Animal Science masters student at the moment at UF working on a stall treatment study for fly control ( Once our IACUC protocol is approved :/) , I'm TAing a course, and I'm taking two online courses. All of this pales compared to GRE prep so I am wishing you luck and have my fingers crossed for you!

Just gonna throw this out there! I'm going to be a 1st year at Mizzou this fall and I was IS for Illinois but declined my spot so feel free to contact me with questions about either school. Good luck you guys! It was my third time applying and I finally got in :)

Hi, first time applicant, long-time hopeful. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as narrowing down schools. I'm being pretty realistic here, and I know my grades aren't very competitive, but my experience is. I know that I am going to apply to LMU, Mid-Western, and probably UF (since it's my in-state). I feel like I should apply to 1 or 2 more schools, but i want to choose wisely. Basically my question is, what are some schools that I might have a better shot with, maybe that have more of a "holistic" view on applicants. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.