Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
Hi de Ho and Congratulations Class of 2023!! You've gotten this far!!

To everyone waitlisted or preparing to reapply, don't give up hope! Waitlisted students get called off any time between now and August/September! It has taken me 3 tries to get in myself!

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Still SHOOK at being accepted! I'd say now I'm just struggling to finish undergrad since the excitement of vet school is right around the corner lol~

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all, we're gonna be vets! Sliding into them DVMs if ya know what I mean! Now I just need to skip ahead six months so I can get started (probably won't feel that way 6.5 months from now, hah).

Congrats everyone, we're really doing this :)

Reactions: 21 users
I'm feeling senioritis super hard right now, especially from receiving my acceptances to schools! It's an exciting time!

Reactions: 8 users
I don't have anything meaningful to contribute here; it is surreal being able to post to the thread though! Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I've read the past few classes' threads from start to finish and it's bonkers that I now get to be part of one??? fdjkfds :biglove:

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats ya’ll. Exciting times...I remember that wonderful feeling so well. People are gonna tell you it goes fast, and they aren’t lying...so even on the stressful days remember how much you wanted this and how good it felt to get it. You deserve it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
I've been waiting for this thread!!! Still don't know where I'm going yet but it's happening!!!

I’m in such a bittersweet position right now. I’m so happy where I am in my life. Everything is going well. My girlfriend and I both got into great programs in the same city and are moving in together. My whole family is close by and getting bigger (one of my sisters is having a baby). I reconnected with a lot of family members I hadn’t spoken to in a long time. My job is amazing, I’m appreciated, just got another raise, and I’m learning so much everyday. Then in 6 months everything changes and I start the most intense education I’ve ever experienced. It’s nerveracking. Exciting, but definitely nerveracking.

Side note: my girlfriend was super supportive of my journey to vet school and even got me scrubs and a stethoscope that say “[My Name], DVM” on them. And of course the school I ended up accepting an offer at awards a VMD degree, so now I have to get them redone so they have the right degree in it. We both had a good laugh about that.

Reactions: 9 users
Hello friends!! Happy to be a part of this :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's everyone doing to prepare? Not like, educationally, but... internally I guess?

Knowing this will be my life for the next several years, I plan on taking a trip out of the country. I've never left the country and want to experience the world! I'm looking into leaving my job a couple weeks before school starts to go to Turkey.

I'm hoping to take time off working to go to my parents cottage in Canada (Haven't had the time to go in years and I really miss it), and maybe a trip to California with my friends. Other than that I'm trying to come up with fun activities that I can do myself or with friends over the next few months.
So far I've gone to puppy yoga and played tactical laser tag, and I hope to do a bunch of random things like read books, do a puzzle, go snowboarding, churn out some art projects, anything that I should be trying to do normally but never take the time to do.

Honestly I've worked full-time to over full-time for about the past 4 years, and before that I was working and in school, so I am looking forward to taking a break. Even my boss (DVM) was like yeah you'll probably stop working by end of July so I'll actually have 2-3 weeks of no responsibilities (besides maybe moving in) - going to be amazing. lol

Reactions: 7 users
What's everyone doing to prepare? Not like, educationally, but... internally I guess?

Knowing this will be my life for the next several years, I plan on taking a trip out of the country. I've never left the country and want to experience the world! I'm looking into leaving my job a couple weeks before school starts to go to Turkey.
I’m working to put as much into my bank account as possible I move into my apartment on June 1st and school doesn’t start until the end of August, so I need to make sure I have living expenses covered until my loans disperse. I’m also trying to learn to live more frugally and cooking my meals more so I can get used to it. I already live in Philly so I’m used to the city, but my kitchen right now is small so it’s more difficult to keep food and cook it. My apartment’s kitchen is what you’d find in a house in the suburbs, so I know it’ll be easier for cook and stock up the fridge.
On a heavier note, I’m making sure all important relationships in my life are good and strong. I’m repairing relationships with family members I had falling out with, since I don’t want any negativity in my life while I’m already extremely stressed out. I couldn’t take care of that in undergrad but in my year off I’ve gotten everything together mentally to handle doing that. So now that all of my ducks are in row as far as that goes, I’m in a much better spot to have a good support system through school and I don’t have to work in building it when I’m already working hard on other things.

Reactions: 2 users
Even my boss (DVM) was like yeah you'll probably stop working by end of July so I'll actually have 2-3 weeks of no responsibilities (besides maybe moving in) - going to be amazing. lol
Yeah I definitely stopped working at the end of June and just continued my once weekly volunteering at the humane society until the beginning of August. Was nice to just be able to relax and have no responsibilities.

Yeah I definitely stopped working at the end of June and just continued my once weekly volunteering at the humane society until the beginning of August. Was nice to just be able to relax and have no responsibilities.
LOL I wish I could do that. $850 a month in rent doesn't pay itself!

these are all great ideas! for now I am trying to finish undergrad strong while also trying new things like clubs, different parties, doing fun workouts, etc. im really lost on what to do for summer though..not sure if just working at a horse ranch in wyoming or moving in with my brother for a summer in NYC or travelling.....just seems like now is the only time to have a "fun" summer before its back to grinding for vet related internships

Reactions: 1 user
I think I’m going to quit my tech job around June and spend the summer with family and friends since I’ve been trying to save up :) I might pet sit or walk dogs for some extra pocket money though

That's awesome!

I'm just going to be working and getting my puppy all trained before school starts. Hopefully can get my oldest dog competing in agility too.

Idk what all you're thinking but just so you know there are lots international opportunities once you get in vet school as well. Just so you know. But definitely recommend an abroad trip. They're fantastic!
LOL I wish I could do that. $850 a month in rent doesn't pay itself!
I worked basically up until the day before I left for school-personally Id go crazy not having anything to do though

I have the plan to just work over the summer but I know I’d love to just sit and do nothing for a while. My family has a Fourth of July boating trip planned (we have a jet boat so we do that regularly). I’m going to be a bridesmaid in my roommate’s wedding in June so I’ll spend a week away from home helping with stuff for that. My boyfriend also recently got invited to do Ranger school so I guess I’ll be flying to GA for the graduation of that this summer as well. I guess I have quite a few summer plans but I’m not actively planning other things right now.

I still need to choose a school before actually making all of my plans (not asking for advice just saying my thought process right now).

Reactions: 1 users
I have the plan to just work over the summer but I know I’d love to just sit and do nothing for a while. My family has a Fourth of July boating trip planned (we have a jet boat so we do that regularly). I’m going to be a bridesmaid in my roommate’s wedding in June so I’ll spend a week away from home helping with stuff for that. My boyfriend also recently got invited to do Ranger school so I guess I’ll be flying to GA for the graduation of that this summer as well. I guess I have quite a few summer plans but I’m not actively planning other things right now.

I still need to choose a school before actually making all of my plans (not asking for advice just saying my thought process right now).
Definitely make sure to do some fun things too and let yourself have a bit of a break!

Uhm well if you don't go to WSU we aren't going to be buds so definitely consider that

Reactions: 4 users

Uhm well if you don't go to WSU we aren't going to be buds so definitely consider that
SAME

TECHNICALLY we’ve already met but I was too creepy to admit that I creeped and figured out who you were. When I interviewed at WSU, I stayed with a high school friend whose roommate is a first year in your class. I was trying to figure out if she knew you and we figured it out . She took me to the ice skating thing with her (wow @ me admitting my creeper status)

TECHNICALLY we’ve already met but I was too creepy to admit that I creeped and figured out who you were. When I interviewed at WSU, I stayed with a high school friend whose roommate is a first year in your class. I was trying to figure out if she knew you and we figured it out . She took me to the ice skating thing with her (wow @ me admitting my creeper status)
LOL we all know each other for the most part. SEE I CANT BE YOUR FRIEND IF YOU DONT COME HERE

Legitmate kind of indepth questions for the class of 2023 as you are all making your decisions-particularly for people who received more than one offer. Feel free to pm me your answers if you don't feel like sharing them on thread. I'm trying to gather information for a possible paper and develop something to help future prevets.
What is your understanding of the financial implications of veterinary school (tuition only) in relation to before you applied and as you were making your decision?
For those of you who have made your decision did you pick the cheapest school possible?
If not what were your factors that you picked the other school instead-also what is the base cost difference?
Do you have an idea what your yearly interest on your student loans will be?
Do you have an idea of what your monthly payment might be like when you graduate and your estimated total loan?

Thanks guys! You are going to rock 2023!

So. We haven't even started, and I haven't been in school for almost two years, but I had a dream last night that I was in vet school and was already behind studying, and I was like nooo I care, I am going to catch up and do better. Then I woke up. This does not bode well for my future dreams if this is over 5 mo out from even starting classes. lol

Side note I also had a dream that the box of girl scout cookies I had had different packaging...and I didn't know it was a dream until I re-opened my box this morning and was like, oh I'm dumb.

Side note I also had a dream that the box of girl scout cookies I had had different packaging...and I didn't know it was a dream until I re-opened my box this morning and was like, oh I'm dumb.

You had girl scout cookies for breakfast? #livinglife

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone moving away from their SO? My husband is staying at our house and I'm moving about an hour away for school. I'm a little worried but happy I at least won't be to far away.

Is anyone moving away from their SO? My husband is staying at our house and I'm moving about an hour away for school. I'm a little worried but happy I at least won't be to far away.
I’m not, but my original plan was to go to school away from my SO. Our closest option was going to be a two hour flight... so I did a lot of preparing for that. Lots of FaceTime, phone calls, etc. Since you’re only about an hour away, is it possible at all to come home some weekends, or even commute to school a day or two a week? That way you don’t feel like you’re spending a lot of time away from each other. My girlfriend and i currently live a little over an hour from each other and both have jobs so we can’t really see each other during the week. However, every Friday one of us will go to the other and stay the weekend, then commute an hour to work Monday morning. I know it’s less stressful than vet school, but maybe it could be an option for you if you feel up for it?

the best of all the girl scout cookies
Keebler cookies, They have thin mint and samoa substitutes, so it can be an all year long joy
Yeah they're like coconut dreams or something. Legit subs.

I’m actually jealous of you. I’m moving a 20 hours car ride away from my boyfriend. The plan for now is that he will join me after he finishes up his last year of grad school and hopefully finds a job where I go to school. Fingers crossed he can find one :xf:
My boyfriend is starting medical school next year in Ohio and I'll be in Minnesota. So it'll be long distance, but we are following our dreams and will both be so so busy that hopefully it won't be that bad. And there's always Skype and the occasional long weekend trip to keep us sane. :)

My boyfriend is still trying to find a job that he is happy in so he is prepared to move almost anywhere for that. At least for where he is located right now we live about 30 mins away, and once I go to school will be 1h 20m away (if he stays in the state by that time). We've been together for over 8 years and we've had times where we've been apart for months, and we agreed I'm going to be the most busy anyway, so not terribly worried about the distance.
Going to miss him though, and when he does visit it'll give me probably a well needed break.

Unrelated to the current discussion, but I just want to put something in perspective for everyone. According to the AAVMC, this is the largest number of applicants for a cycle in history. There are over 1,000 more applicants this year than last year, and the number of seats is actually a little lower than last year. The ratio of applicants to seats went from 1.8 to 2.0. This has been, statistically, one of the hardest, if not the hardest, years to get in. So congrats everyone!!!
Public data
Go to applicant data for this info

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Unrelated to the current discussion, but I just want to put something in perspective for everyone. According to the AVMA, this is the largest number of applicants for a cycle in history. There are over 1,000 more applicants this year than last year, and the number of seats is actually a little lower than last year. The ratio of applicants to seats went from 1.8 to 2.0. This has been, statistically, one of the hardest, if not the hardest, years to get in. So congrats everyone!!!
Public data
Go to applicant data for this info
This makes me feel exceptionally great. Thank you.

You’re right. I’ve been long distance for like a year already so what’s another year or four:p

(P.S. we are going to be classmates!)
That is so exciting! I'll see you at GOALE lol

Nothing exceptional to add either, but I am so excited for this upcoming journey!!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m actually jealous of you. I’m moving a 20 hours car ride away from my boyfriend. The plan for now is that he will join me after he finishes up his last year of grad school and hopefully finds a job where I go to school. Fingers crossed he can find one :xf:

This was a big reason why I'm not going to Minnesota. Really loved the school and area, but it will be really hard to be away from my husband and cats, plus I have two dogs I want to bring and he wants to be able to see them too.

I’m not, but my original plan was to go to school away from my SO. Our closest option was going to be a two hour flight... so I did a lot of preparing for that. Lots of FaceTime, phone calls, etc. Since you’re only about an hour away, is it possible at all to come home some weekends, or even commute to school a day or two a week? That way you don’t feel like you’re spending a lot of time away from each other. My girlfriend and i currently live a little over an hour from each other and both have jobs so we can’t really see each other during the week. However, every Friday one of us will go to the other and stay the weekend, then commute an hour to work Monday morning. I know it’s less stressful than vet school, but maybe it could be an option for you if you feel up for it?

These are all great ideas! I was definitely planning on spending some weekends home if I'm not too busy.

:xf:
9ish months til NAVLE!
:eek::eek::eek: this is truly disturbing to me, since when does the profession allow twelve year olds to take the NAVLE? But congrats, you'll do great!

I am also here to spy and suck up the happy energy. I can't even remember feeling this way. Try to remember it people!

Reactions: 13 users