Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm here cause I'm recovering from vet prom last night and want incoming first years to know that poor life choices occur in vet school as much as undergrad. So have uber ready prior to matriculation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
I'm here cause I'm recovering from vet prom last night and want incoming first years to know that poor life choices occur in vet school as much as undergrad. So have uber ready prior to matriculation.
Poor life choices could have been even poorer had you gone out after prom too instead of going home :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Poor life choices could have been even poorer had you gone out after prom too instead of going home :laugh:

I am so glad I decided on home. You don't even know. That last drink was a mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our prom was also my birthday... I think the one thing that really saved me was eating cake and pizza at like 1 in the morning.

Reactions: 4 users
What is the best tool/website/etc for comparing OOS tuition/COL between schools? Not sure if this is where to ask but looking for advice as I make decisions!

Does anyone know if you can accept an offer from multiple vet schools? My SO won't know his job location until May and that will impact where I want to be...I know I will lose the deposit but is this possible?

Does anyone know if you can accept an offer from multiple vet schools? My SO won't know his job location until May and that will impact where I want to be...I know I will lose the deposit but is this possible?

So someone with more info, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can hold multiple acceptances beyond April 15 because 1) schools don't communicate their student list to one another and 2) you can spend your money however you want. Realistically, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since the wait lists are set and whether someone is called April 16 or May 16 won't make a difference to the school. They have a wait list for this reason.

Reactions: 5 users
Unrelated to the current discussion, but I just want to put something in perspective for everyone. According to the AAVMC, this is the largest number of applicants for a cycle in history. There are over 1,000 more applicants this year than last year, and the number of seats is actually a little lower than last year. The ratio of applicants to seats went from 1.8 to 2.0. This has been, statistically, one of the hardest, if not the hardest, years to get in. So congrats everyone!!!
Public data
Go to applicant data for this info

I was pretty bummed after not getting into my IS this year when last year I was three spots away from an offer from the waitlist. However, this number helps! Im still going to be a dogtor :biglove:

I was pretty bummed after not getting into my IS this year when last year I was three spots away from an offer from the waitlist. However, this number helps! Im still going to be a dogtor :biglove:
Exactly! Some schools had an almost 50% increase in applicants this year. Not only is it just a different applicant pool, but there are a TON more people. Some recent years had a little over 6,000 applicants compared to 8,152 this year. It’ll happen for you. Just keep trying!!!

Exactly! Some schools had an almost 50% increase in applicants this year. Not only is it just a different applicant pool, but there are a TON more people. Some recent years had a little over 6,000 applicants compared to 8,152 this year. It’ll happen for you. Just keep trying!!!

I will accept my offer to Oklahoma ! I think it’s too risky to decline and hope I get in IS a third time :angelic:

Reactions: 1 users
Oh! my! Goddddd!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THAT THIS IS ME!!!!!! I'm floating on a cloud right now!!!! Accepted I/S to Tennessee today!!!!!

I started my vet school journey back in 2011 and then went off to nursing school after a couple of rejections from vet school. I decided to give it "one more chance" before I started a doctorate program in nursing and boy am I glad I did! :) Third time's a charm!!!!

Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh! my! Goddddd!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THAT THIS IS ME!!!!!! I'm floating on a cloud right now!!!! Accepted I/S to Tennessee today!!!!!

I started my vet school journey back in 2011 and then went off to nursing school after a couple of rejections from vet school. I decided to give it "one more chance" before I started a doctorate program in nursing and boy am I glad I did! :) Third time's a charm!!!!
:biglove: :biglove: :biglove: I'm so excited for you!!! Can't wait to see you in the fall ;) though i'll be in clinics so who knows how much I'll see the outside world

Anyone else get their acceptance email/letter and do a double take like “y’all sure?” :eyebrow:.

I keep thinking that I’m going to show up to orientation and they’re going to say “who are you?” :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Anyone else get there acceptance email/letter and do a double take like “y’all sure?” :eyebrow:.

I keep thinking that I’m going to show up to orientation and they’re going to say “who are you?” :laugh:
I just posted in the rant thread about this. I’m anxiously checking my email until Penn sends me confirmation of my prerequisite audit so I can stop worrying. Imposter syndrome is a real thing.

BUT, think of this: you submitted your entire VMCAS application. You submitted your supplemental apps (unless Michigan State doesn’t have one. I forget). You submitted your transcript. That was all reviewed and you were interviewed. You were scrutinized by the admissions committee and they all said, after reviewing everything, that they want you. So yes, they want you.

Edit: Michigan STATE

Last edited:
Anyone else get there acceptance email/letter and do a double take like “y’all sure?” :eyebrow:.

I didn't share with everyone until I got the physical letter. I was sooooo paranoid the email could have maybe possibly been a mistake. Lol

But now I've submitted my intent to enroll and the online application, and sent in my tuition deposit. It's official, they can't take it back now!! Lol

I didn't share with everyone until I got the physical letter. I was sooooo paranoid the email could have maybe possibly been a mistake. Lol

But now I've submitted my intent to enroll and the online application, and sent in my tuition deposit. It's official, they can't take it back now!! Lol

Especially since CSU sent everyone that they chose to interview an email that said "congratulations Danielle" I see being paranoid about that hahaha

Reactions: 3 users

SAME THO. Every time I look back on my acceptance email I'm all
giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users

THIS. I submitted my intent to enroll and the tuition deposit and got my MSU email!

But I’m still like, “are y’all sure, sure?”

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one in shock that this is really happening!! This was my third (and last, for a couple years at least) time applying/interviewing, and I am STUNNED that I was accepted to my IS as well as a few others!! Congrats everyone, WE'RE GOING TO VET SCHOOL!!!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
I am so thankful I got into Western, but my emotions are all over the place because of my waitlist position at MSU. I was really hoping my cycle would be finished this week. Whatever is meant to be will happen though. My husband and I set June 1st as our date to see if I get pulled off my waitlist.

This whole thing is just such an emotional rollercoaster :dead:

I’m afraid to call my friends in family, and have wasted my whole morning staring at my Michigan State acceptance email, so I totally understand :D

I am waitlisted at my IS, so I will be accepting my seat and cross my fingers to be pulled off so I can give my OOS seat to someone else... but god I didn’t realize how free I would feel just to have a guaranteed acceptance for next year <3

Reactions: 12 users
Put my letter of intent in the mail today. Vet school here I come!!

Reactions: 7 users
Are any of you guys looking into housing yet, or are you waiting for Facebook groups to be made or other online resources to be made available before looking?
I'm 27 and have lived in the same house since I was born (my undergrad University was basically across the street)...soooo I'm tryin to make sure I'm on the ball.

Basically any advice looking into housing for vet school? Lol

Are any of you guys looking into housing yet, or are you waiting for Facebook groups to be made or other online resources to be made available before looking?
I'm 27 and have lived in the same house since I was born (my undergrad University was basically across the street)...soooo I'm tryin to make sure I'm on the ball.

Basically any advice looking into housing for vet school? Lol

I’m in the same boat my undergrad is in my home community, so I’d like to get on the ball soon. Have they made a Michigan Facebook group yet?

I’m in the same boat my undergrad is in my home community, so I’d like to get on the ball soon. Have they made a Michigan Facebook group yet?
Not that I'm aware of. I feel like I heard somewhere there being a special rental listing for vet students, but don't know if that's actually a thing or not.

Not that I'm aware of. I feel like I heard somewhere there being a special rental listing for vet students, but don't know if that's actually a thing or not.

This exists. MSU (the university as a whole) also has an off campus housing website that you can look at for listings.

Just put in my LOA request today so if it gets accepted and I come back, I'll be a 2023 with y'all.

Just put in my LOA request today so if it gets accepted and I come back, I'll be a 2023 with y'all.

Were you at Ross? What's making you wanna switch? (Feel free not to answer if it's personal! Either way I hope you find a good fit!!)

Were you at Ross? What's making you wanna switch? (Feel free not to answer if it's personal! Either way I hope you find a good fit!!)

I'm at SGU. My husband and child are back in the states and combined with a lot of other issues, I think coming back next semester and restarting will be the best option for me. My family will be here with me and a lot of other issues will be cleared up.

What is LOA, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve never heard that acronym before :)

You have to do what's best for you. Better to reevaluate now than try to force something that just isn't going to end well. I learned that the hard way doing my PhD for sure. Hang in there and be well. :)
Thank you!!

Anyone else having a hard time “pushing the button”? I’m nearly 100% sure where I’m going, but I just have a hard time telling that school that I’m committed to them. I think it’s a side effect of working so hard to get into vet school for the past decade - getting in doesn’t feel real - and accepting it seems weird and wrong and impossible after having worked so hard.

Reactions: 11 users
Anyone else having a hard time “pushing the button”? I’m nearly 100% sure where I’m going, but I just have a hard time telling that school that I’m committed to them. I think it’s a side effect of working so hard to get into vet school for the past decade - getting in doesn’t feel real - and accepting it seems weird and wrong and impossible after having worked so hard.
I'm still choosing between a few schools but I 100% feel this!! I had no clue if I was going to be accepted this cycle, and now that I have been I've been trying to make a decision but I keep getting overwhelmed when I look into each school:bag:. I guess it's the idea that we're spending the next 4 years dedicating ourselves to what we want to do which is awesome but....intimidating as well?

Reactions: 7 users

I feel this. I’ve accepted my seat at Penn, but I still have this dread in the back of my head that somethings gonna fall through last minute and I havent been able to bring myself to turn down my seat at western. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm right there with you guys!! Even though I knew which school I wanted to commit to, it took much longer than it should have for me to officially accept the offer. I think after 2 years of rejections I just couldn't believe that this is finally happening!

I still have this dread in the back of my head that somethings gonna fall through last minute

I had that same awful fear, I couldn't bring myself to turn down my offer at LMU until I had confirmation of my deposit at Virginia-Maryland, and even then I was sooo nervous!

I feel this. I’ve accepted my seat at Penn, but I still have this dread in the back of my head that somethings gonna fall through last minute and I havent been able to bring myself to turn down my seat at western. :eek: :eek: :eek:
I’m sure nothing is going to fall through! But I still feel the same way lol. Like, my deposit is confirmed, my seat is accepted, I have my Penn ID, and it’s been over two weeks since I got the “we’ll begin your prerequisite audit in the next two weeks and contact you if there are any issues” so everything is obviously fine. It’s just all so surreal. I know I’ll be sitting in class this fall worrying the whole time if security guards are going to burst in and haul me out because it’s been a giant mistake all along.

I’m sure nothing is going to fall through! But I still feel the same way lol. Like, my deposit is confirmed, my seat is accepted, I have my Penn ID, and it’s been over two weeks since I got the “we’ll begin your prerequisite audit in the next two weeks and contact you if there are any issues” so everything is obviously fine. It’s just all so surreal. I know I’ll be sitting in class this fall worrying the whole time if security guards are going to burst in and haul me out because it’s been a giant mistake all along.
what’s a prerequisite audit if you don’t mind me asking? My anxiety got me thinking that I haven’t “passed” a certain part of the application although I have my acceptance email already. This process really testing my paranoia.

what’s a prerequisite audit if you don’t mind me asking? My anxiety got me thinking that I haven’t “passed” a certain part of the application although I have my acceptance email already. This process really testing my paranoia.
For Penn (and probably other schools) they send you your acceptance letter with a link to all of your paperwork you need to complete. One of those papers is a prerequisite sheet. You put the courses you’ve taken in each of the prerequisite spots to show that you’ve fulfilled all of them. Once you send in all of your paperwork with your deposit, they look over the prerequisite sheet and compare it to your transcript to make sure you’ve actually taken the courses you said you’ve taken. If something doesn’t match up (e.g. a course you took isn’t enough credits) they contact you. This happens sometimes when you take courses on a quarter system and your course was 5 quarter hours and they wanted 6. But if you fill out the sheet and it looks like everything you put in checks out and adds up to the right number then there’s really nothing to worry about.

It's literally like you're reading my mind. I make a decision one day and then the next I start doubting it and I'm back to square one. Usually I do things with plenty of time before a deadline, but I think I might be waiting til April 14th for this one lol.