Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
#justdoit

;)

Cold feet and imposter syndrome are real, but you wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't want you. Promise. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
#justdoit

;)

Cold feet and imposter syndrome are real, but you wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't want you. Promise. :D
I believe you, but the admissions director at Western got me all worried. Like, if the slightest thing was off before matriculation, acceptance rescinded. If we listed that we were going to take a non-required class and ended up not taking it but didn’t tell them, they’d rescind our acceptance. Things like that. I’m not even going to Western and that mindset still stuck with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wtf that’s dumb af.
I KNOW! And the director told us that they had to rescind someone’s acceptance last year because of that and just sort of laughed like “sucks for her I guess.”

I KNOW! And the director told us that they had to rescind someone’s acceptance last year because of that and just sort of laughed like “sucks for her I guess.”
That's terrifying, I can't believe they can do that!!

#justdoit

;)

My anniversary of accepting my spot is on St Patrick's Day! The fact that it happens to be the same day as a major drinking holiday is coincidental :p

Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone else having a hard time officially accepting their seat?? I received multiple acceptances and am worried about regretting the school I choose

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having a hard time officially accepting their seat?? I received multiple acceptances and am worried about regretting the school I choose

Guess I should have looked at some of the other replies before ‍♀️. Glad I’m not the only one though

Reactions: 1 users
You could post in the “help deciding” forum. Obviously it’s usually best to go with the cheaper option, but that forum is especially good for deciding between similarly-priced schools. Or if there’s a cheaper school that you just don’t feel quite set on, people can give you reasons for and against it without screaming “it’s cheaper! Go to it!”

Reactions: 3 users
You could post in the “help deciding” forum. Obviously it’s usually best to go with the cheaper option, but that forum is especially good for deciding between similarly-priced schools. Or if there’s a cheaper school that you just don’t feel quite set on, people can give you reasons for and against it without screaming “it’s cheaper! Go to it!”

Ah thank you!! So far when I’ve posted anywhere I get a bunch of people just telling me just go to the cheaper school which I get but just want to compare everything else in addition

Ah thank you!! So far when I’ve posted anywhere I get a bunch of people just telling me just go to the cheaper school which I get but just want to compare everything else in addition
Just a thought but if a bunch of people (especially actual vets and people who are already in vet school) are telling you to go to the cheapest schools, they might have a reason behind it.

Crippling student loans with high interest rates aren’t worth four years at [metaphorical] your dream school when you’ll be paying it off for at least the next 10-20 years.

Reactions: 10 users
I was in a somewhat similar situation, the 2 schools I narrowed it down to were fairly close in cost, so it really came down to which one I thought would be the better fit for me. While it's important to try to keep loans to a minimum, you also need to consider your own mental health/well-being and make the choice that feels right for you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought but if a bunch of people (especially actual vets and people who are already in vet school) are telling you to go to the cheapest schools, they might have a reason behind it.

Crippling student loans with high interest rates aren’t worth four years at [metaphorical] your dream school when you’ll be paying it off for at least the next 10-20 years.
I agree that probably 90% of the time it makes total sense to go to the cheapest school. However there are definitely times when it doesn’t. For example, I’m an anxious person. I need a support system. My family are all within 30 minutes of Penn. I have a nephew and two more babies in the family on the way. I want to be around to see them grow up; to start crawling, walking, say their first words, and to know who their uncle is and not just as some guy who lived across the country for their formative years. My girlfriend of 4 years got into Temple for her Masters and we’re finally moving in together. She was my biggest supporter in college and I wouldn’t be here without her. I’m familiar with the city since I’ve lives in or around it my whole life. My best friends are all here. As you said in another thread, vet school sucks no matter where you go. I want to give myself the biggest chance of it not sucking, and the biggest chance of making it through in one piece. I want to be able to get externships in the area I’ll end up practicing in and where I’ll be applying for internships/residencies. I want to make my life here. Yea, Penn was my IS so it’s actually not any more expensive than any of the other schools I applied to, but even if it were I’d still probably go. This reasoning doesn’t apply to everyone obviously but for someone in my situation, there were so many factors in deciding to go to Penn (and withdrawing all my other apps before I even had interviews at those schools) that money ended up not really being a top one.

I completely agree which is why that’s the school I’m most likely accepting my spot at. But hearing that be the only reason is making me fearful of ending up at the wrong school

I completely agree which is why that’s the school I’m most likely accepting my spot at. But hearing that be the only reason is making me fearful of ending up at the wrong school
Try to step back, release the fear, be excited and open minded about vet school. I feel like overall you cant go to "the wrong" school. All schools have positives and negatives. Vet school can be great but at the same time it can also suck and be miserable and horrible. You could even visit both schools get 2 different vibes attend one and have the total opposite experience because class composition I think attributes so much to your atmosphere. My class is so much different than the classes above us. Overall my school is super welcoming and supportive but our class is truly a family but I know the classes above us arent as tight knit which is fine. As long as you are going to an accredited school you'll become a DVM if you put in the time and work. In the end, the 4 years is very temporary (I cant believe I'm almost done with year 1). The debt not so much. Idk about you but I'd like to buy a house, buy a newer car, expand my family even if it's only by fur babies, and go on vacation. Some peoples loans are literally so much they cant afford to do that. Even on IBR they are saving all their pennies to pay off that huge tax hit in the end they dont have extra money.

Reactions: 8 users
Pros/cons to living with roomies versus spending $1400 for a one-bedroom? I know the obvious reasons, but any current vet students care to chip in with other views? I've had great roommate experiences, and I've had real ****ty ones. I want to be able to stay in a place for all 4 years of vet school because I've moved 1-2 times a year for the past 5 or 6 years and I just want my place. Also, I have a cat with chronic rhinitis that sneezes on everything and while I clean up after her -- there's a decent bit of snot on my walls and such.

please someone talk sense into me.

Pros/cons to living with roomies versus spending $1400 for a one-bedroom? I know the obvious reasons, but any current vet students care to chip in with other views? I've had great roommate experiences, and I've had real ****ty ones. I want to be able to stay in a place for all 4 years of vet school because I've moved 1-2 times a year for the past 5 or 6 years and I just want my place. Also, I have a cat with chronic rhinitis that sneezes on everything and while I clean up after her -- there's a decent bit of snot on my walls and such.

I live by myself and love it, so does @SkiOtter . I couldn’t imagine living with other people in vet school, I would hate it. I need to sit at home, alone, and unwind from my day. My friends live with roommates and they’re the more extrovert type and they need that like communication and peopleness.

Just depends on the kind of person you are!

$1400 is really high though... makes me glad stillwater’s COL is so low. :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users

Vet school roomies are pretty awesome. I've had nothing but awesome experiences with them. Classmates bound together and if you live with upperclassmen they can give you all the tips and tricks of first-year. Oh yeah that prof has super specific questions, oh and that one asks questions directly off the learning objectives! Priceless

I live by myself and love it, so does @SkiOtter . I couldn’t imagine living with other people in vet school, I would hate it. I need to sit at home, alone, and unwind from my day. My friends live with roommates and they’re the more extrovert type and they need that like communication and peopleness.

$1400 is really high though... makes me glad stillwater’s COL is so low. :laugh:
I pay $600 a month for rent in what feels like a closet...

I had a roommate the first year and for awhile I was looking to move in another roommate but then I realized... yeah, I prefer not having one.

But I'm also not paying $1400 for a one bedroom. How much would you be saving if you lived with roommates?

I live by myself and love it, so does @SkiOtter . I couldn’t imagine living with other people in vet school, I would hate it. I need to sit at home, alone, and unwind from my day.

Do you guys feel like you get enough friend/socialization time (I'd assume so since we'll be stuck with our classmates 80 hours a day)? I'm also on the introverted side, which means that I tend to isolate myself and I don't want to cook a recipe for disaster.

How much would you be saving if you lived with roommates?
One bedrooms/studios run about 1300-1600, 2 beds are about 1900+, and three bedrooms are about 22-2500? There are also larger houses with 4+ bedrooms but I would die first world problems. So hypothetically I could save ~400 to split a 2 bedroom, or like 7-800 to split a bigger place. Which is where the logical side of my brain is like DUH, DO THAT.

Do you guys feel like you get enough friend/socialization time (I'd assume so since we'll be stuck with our classmates 80 hours a day)? I'm also on the introverted side, which means that I tend to isolate myself and I don't want to cook a recipe for disaster.

One bedrooms/studios run about 1300-1600, 2 beds are about 1900+, and three bedrooms are about 22-2500? There are also larger houses with 4+ bedrooms but I would die first world problems. So hypothetically I could save ~400 to split a 2 bedroom, or like 7-800 to split a bigger place. Which is where the logical side of my brain is like DUH, DO THAT.
If @Coopah has a place for $600 find her secret!

Living with a roommate did not increase my friend/socialization time. Just for the record. I do tend to isolate myself, but having a roommate did not fix that.

Yeah, so for me I feel like I could justify spending an extra 400 to live alone. Not so sure I could justify spending an extra 800 to live alone.

Reactions: 4 users
So first year I was in class from 9am- 12. An hour for lunch (stayed at school). and class/ lab 1-5 pm. I drove home zombie eyed, sit on my couch, open a bottle of wine and start studying. I like quiet study time. I like being able to come home and know that my house is clean and all of my obsessive tendencies aren’t going to annoy anyone (my last roommate thought my frequent lock checking was annoying and unnecessary)

That being said, I still end up having a night or two a week where we go out to dinner/ go to the bars/ go for a walk/ go to the dog park. It’s important to have socialization time, but it’s also important for me to have a home where I feel completely comfortable and happy!

Reactions: 6 users
First year 1.0: lived in a 4 bed 4 bath with randos and it wasn't good. I GTFO'd as soon as I could. Paid 425 + electric (20-80/month)

First year 2.0: lived in a 6 bed 3 bath house with 5 random roommates and loved it. Loved the people, several of which will be lifelong friends. The best roommate experience of my life. 565 with everything included, including a barn cat.

Second year: same house as above with 4 new roommates (my roommate soul mate stayed with me). Not nearly as good as last year, and now some potentially sketchy things are happening to the point where one roommate is contacting the landlord and landlady about the situation (revolves around one specific roommate). My roommate soul mate and I were already moving out together (we have very poor Internet which just won't fly during clinical year), and now we may expedite the process (unfortunately).

I think it rides on who you are as a person and who the roommates are. My roommate soul mate and i could probably live together indefinitely if we were planning on being single ladies forever. But the one roommate we have here that has developed into an issue is not worth letting it go.

I'm pretty extroverted, but love boundaries, so I like having my space. I could potentially live alone if my life was more stable, but it wouldn't be a great idea for me at this point. I'm also not willing to go above 600-650 a month and a 1 bed would be difficult to find at that price in a house (probably possible in an apartment).

I studied at the school in the evenings because I had difficulty focusing at home and not responding to the seductive calls of my bed and Netflix. I would go home at 5, take care of the dog, eat dinner, chill for a bit, then head back to the school from 7-9 or 7-10ish. There were several of us there most nights...we each had 'our' table in one of the common areas. It was nice because even though we were in different classes we became casual friends and would take a break and chat, but for the most part do out thing and study. I also worked an on-call job one night a week and one weekend a month so already being at the school was beneficial.

I did have a roommate, but we were not in the same class, almost always had opposite schedules and kept to ourselves for the most part. It might be 3-5 days before we'd actually see each other. We would occasionally meet up and do something, too. Actually, we still do, since (for completely separate reasons) we both ended up in the same city halfway across the country from where we went to school.

Hi guys just accepted my spot at Illinois and I got approved for an apartment today! YAY! I decided to live by myself for the first year so I can really focus. Maybe once I make vet school friends I will change my mind though. Nice to be going through this process with you all!

Hi guys just accepted my spot at Illinois and I got approved for an apartment today! YAY! I decided to live by myself for the first year so I can really focus. Maybe once I make vet school friends I will change my mind though. Nice to be going through this process with you all!
W E L C O M E
@batsenecal @SportPonies
giphy.gif

So first year I was in class from 9am- 12. An hour for lunch (stayed at school). and class/ lab 1-5 pm.

I would go home at 5, take care of the dog, eat dinner, chill for a bit, then head back to the school from 7-9 or 7-10ish.

Is this a pretty average day in the life? I'm trying to wrap my head around exactly what "you will be in class/study a lot" means!

Is this a pretty average day in the life? I'm trying to wrap my head around exactly what "you will be in class/study a lot" means!
Varies a bit school to school and also year to year. Like here you have progressively less free time as you get further in. First year I had a lot of days where I was done at noon. Last semester I was in class 8 to 5 nearly every day.

How much you study is entirely dependent on you. I'm certainly not one who goes home and studies every day and never have been.

First year we pretty consistently had class until 5 thanks to anatomy labs. As I got farther in they'd start to have split lab sections in some classes so sometimes you'd be in the 1-3pm group and sometimes in the 3-5 lab session so you'd either get a 2-hour break or get done 2 hours earlier. I spent most free afternoons in the clin path lab though (I wanted to do[/am doing] a clin path residency), especially since alphabetically I usually ended up in the 3-5 lab sessions. I took one weeknight and one full weekend day for myself, but for the most part I did the 8-5 class, break, then 2-3 hours studying a night pretty consistently all three classroom years.

My leave of absence got approved so I'll be 2023 with y'all if I decide to come back......

Reactions: 4 users
Heyo! Just accepted my spot at K-STATE!!! I'm on the waitlist at my in-state, but either way, SUPER excited I get to say I'm going to vet school!!!
Any non-traditional students (or really anyone who worked full time before vet school) have advice on getting back into the "Study mindset"? I've been working full time since I graduated (almost 4 years ago) and I'm scared that going from full time employee to full time student is going to take me for a ride.

Reactions: 10 users
Heyo! Just accepted my spot at K-STATE!!! I'm on the waitlist at my in-state, but either way, SUPER excited I get to say I'm going to vet school!!!
Any non-traditional students (or really anyone who worked full time before vet school) have advice on getting back into the "Study mindset"? I've been working full time since I graduated (almost 4 years ago) and I'm scared that going from full time employee to full time student is going to take me for a ride.

I just did my first semester after being out of school for about 3 years and working a career job. I'm also 30 and have a baby. So I guess I'm pretty non-traditional. All I can say is find a study group that you jive with well as soon as possible and find out what works for you. Our school also has learning strategists that will help you find what works for you so see if your school has something similar. Make sure you reach out early and often until you get back into the groove of school. It can be a rough transition.

Yeah basically. Like WZ said it varies but I'd say the "typical" day is class from 8-5. I get lunch off if I dont have an elective and depending on the elective might be at school by 7 or past 5. Then I go home give myself dinner and a little break then study 7-10ish then bed. There are days where I get out early like 12 or earlier depending on dissection day sometimes 10. But overall that's what my day looks like.

Me tooooo!! But I'll be returning after, like, 8 years of full time employment. :wideyed:
I had a panic moment last night thinking about how I won't have any real income for 4+ years. I'm also interested in any advice anyone has on returning to the student world from the working world.

I promise you, you learn REAL QUICKLY what it means lol

So imagine working a full -time job (8-5)... and then throw in 3-7 study hours a night depending on the urgency of exams.

I'm an Type A person, and that hasn't changed through vet school, so I study probably a little more than average. It's exhausting but makes breaks soooo worth it. :)

Varies a bit school to school and also year to year. Like here you have progressively less free time as you get further in. First year I had a lot of days where I was done at noon. Last semester I was in class 8 to 5 nearly every day.

How much you study is entirely dependent on you. I'm certainly not one who goes home and studies every day and never have been.

I'm with dubz. I def don't study every day unless there are exams coming up. First year we had exam blocks, and usually would have 2-3 weeks in between them--I basically wouldn't study in that "off" time aside from keeping up with notes and assignments. Second and third year we've had exams pretty much constantly, but if I had 3+ days until the next one, I wasn't studying if I could help it (with exception being preparing for finals). There are definitely people that study everyday, so it will really depend on how you learn/how much you care about grades. I stay around 40th to 50th percentile in my class overall, and know people above me that study less, and below me that study more. So it really depends on the person, and it's hard to know how much you'll actually study until you get there.

Hey guys! Just got my call for Auburn yesterday so I’m a little late to the game, but I’m super excited to be part of this class!

I keep hearing a lot about how all in vet school is - it seems like most people spend all day either at school or studying with their classmates, and I am really looking forward to the tight knit community I’m sure this will make. But I’m also someone who loves getting out in the community in general and doing things that aren’t necessarily school related, haha. Is this even possible in vet school or should I just go ahead and prepare to think about nothing but vet med for the next four years? :laugh:

Hey guys! Just got my call for Auburn yesterday so I’m a little late to the game, but I’m super excited to be part of this class!

I keep hearing a lot about how all in vet school is - it seems like most people spend all day either at school or studying with their classmates, and I am really looking forward to the tight knit community I’m sure this will make. But I’m also someone who loves getting out in the community in general and doing things that aren’t necessarily school related, haha. Is this even possible in vet school or should I just go ahead and prepare to think about nothing but vet med for the next four years? :laugh:
I don't really knows many people who aren't in some way connected to the school but you can certainly make time to do things that aren't school related if you want (and I definitely do).

Is this even possible in vet school or should I just go ahead and prepare to think about nothing but vet med for the next four years? :laugh:

For the love that you hold for yourself, please, please, please, please do things outside of vet med. My roommate soulmate is a law student here and we love each other because we talk about stuff outside of school stuff. Or, if we talk about school stuff, we're a good support system because we have no idea what the other person is talking about, so we're just unconditionally supportive. lol.

Vet med should not be your entire life in vet school. Please save your soul and do other for funsie things!

I don't really knows many people who aren't in some way connected to the school but you can certainly make time to do things that aren't school related if you want (and I definitely do).
For the love that you hold for yourself, please, please, please, please do things outside of vet med. My roommate soulmate is a law student here and we love each other because we talk about stuff outside of school stuff. Or, if we talk about school stuff, we're a good support system because we have no idea what the other person is talking about, so we're just unconditionally supportive. lol.

Vet med should not be your entire life in vet school. Please save your soul and do other for funsie things!

Ok thank god that’s actually possible! I’m a little more type B than A so I think I should be able to pull myself away long enough to retain my sanity as long as that’s probably not going to tank my grades.

Ok thank god that’s actually possible! I’m a little more type B than A so I think I should be able to pull myself away long enough to retain my sanity as long as that’s probably not going to tank my grades.
I'm too type B to function and have still hung around the 50% mark for class rank. You'll very likely be fine.

If you're someone who needs that time away from school/studying you'll probably do worse if you deprive yourself than you would otherwise.

Reactions: 7 users
You can 100% have a life outside school and still do fine academically. I would probably do worse if I cut back on my extra-curriculars. Being happy and sane leads to more effective studying (in my experience, anyway), plus just having a life outside of studying makes life more pleasant. @DRider13 can vouch for both her and my type B tendencies, and we are both doing well.

Also to those of you that study every night, I don't know how you do it. Studying sucks so much lol.

Also wanted to touch on what Bats said about your outside of school things being completely unrelated to school; I don't necessarily agree. All of my outside of school stuff is either vet school related (eg club wetlabs, teaching hospital shadowing shifts) or not related but I'm doing it with people from the vet school (intramural sports, going out dancing at a bar, etc). I find for me that works perfectly well and I do not think that doing so means I have no life outside of school.

Last edited:

On the other hand, I am extremely introverted and have lived with 1-2 roommates for my whole vet school career. It's been nice because they do things like make sure I'm still eating when I'm depressed, get sushi with me, have movie nights, and so on which is nice. They also respect when I go into my cave (their loving term for my room) and don't come out until the next morning or for a whole weekend. I get plenty of time to unwind just from being able to go home and shut my door with no questions asked, so living with people is still doable even if you're really introverted.
I think average day in the life definitely depends on whose life we're talking about. I hardly study at all day-to-day because I hate it and can get by with cramming it into shorter periods of time, but I have classmates who study basically until 10 PM every night after class gets out. It depends on where the balance is struck for you, and it can take some time to find it once you start school

10% luck
20% skill
15% concentrated power of will
5% pleasure
50% pain
and a hundred percent overpowering mental disease

:laugh:
I can't. Had a midterm at 8am this morning and when I woke up at 4:30am I still hadn't even seen some of the material before. :laugh:

A few of my classmates basically live in the library at school. Every now and then I'll go study with them because it forces me to be productive, but damn. So much self control.

PS if anyone hadn't figured it out Cdo is defs Type A ;)

Reactions: 5 users