Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mammalade

c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like this thread usually gets started around February and I'm too excited to wait any longer. So, how you doin?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Disappointed there is no friends gif.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Still trying to decide which school to go to and to accept or decline WICHE spot! How does one decide?? Very excited!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still trying to decide which school to go to and to accept or decline WICHE spot! How does one decide?? Very excited!

I had a very hard time deciding, especially because I personally tend to deal with a lot of unnecessary guilt so I felt bad declining schools lol. The two schools I was deciding between both offered me WICHE were essentially the same price (estimated less than 5K difference over the total four years), so I just had to trust my gut instinct and went with the one I felt like I would be happiest with. My advice though would be to go to the cheapest school and probably to accept WICHE funding because it will be so so so much cheaper.

Reactions: 5 users
I am still coming to realization that this is actually happening! 2.5 years out of undergrad, and was accepted to my IS school during my first application cycle! <3

Reactions: 13 users
I am still coming to realization that this is actually happening! 2.5 years out of undergrad, and was accepted to my IS school during my first application cycle! <3
Same! Been out only a year, but every time I talked about vet school or me getting in, I always knocked on wood haha. I’m 99% sure the college I’m going to choose, but it’s crazy that we all did it!! No more dreaming peeps, only achieving :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Same! Been out only a year, but every time I talked about vet school or me getting in, I always knocked on wood haha. I’m 99% sure the college I’m going to choose, but it’s crazy that we all did it!! No more dreaming peeps, only achieving :clap:

I was always told that you almost never get in on your first application cycle, but I guess I didn't think that most people apply while they are still in school. I have done nothing but gaining experience since graduating! I am so excited, I was already nitpicking my own application and planning my life out to improve for next round! We did it though!!! So excited! Congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
Also, just mildly paranoid that I will fail my last class I need for a pre-req that I am currently taking. Yay Biochem! I know I only need a C, so it shouldn't be a problem...but man I am stressed. :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
Also, just mildly paranoid that I will fail my last class I need for a pre-req that I am currently taking. Yay Biochem! I know I only need a C, so it shouldn't be a problem...but man I am stressed. :eek:

AK Lectures on YouTube saved my life with Biochem! I thought I was going to fail but ended up with a B+. He’s super helpful 10/10 would recommend

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Love
I'm starting to get emails about account setup, orientation, and financial aid.

giphy.gif

It's only February.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Honestly, I was genuinely terrified I would fail my last pre-req last semester (needed an upper-division lab, took animal phys lab). The TA made my life a nightmare, I ended with a C- and the lab coordinator had to curve our lab sections grades because the TA was too harsh with grading. I ended with an A as apparently my C- was the highest grade in the section...

Anyway, I understand the stress, but you've made it this far! You'll definitely pass biochem!

Members don't see this ad :)
AK Lectures on YouTube saved my life with Biochem! I thought I was going to fail but ended up with a B+. He’s super helpful 10/10 would recommend

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Wonderful!!! Yes, I will definitely look into that! I am taking it online and it is the first class I have ever taken online, which is rough in and of itself.

Honestly, I was genuinely terrified I would fail my last pre-req last semester (needed an upper-division lab, took animal phys lab). The TA made my life a nightmare, I ended with a C- and the lab coordinator had to curve our lab sections grades because the TA was too harsh with grading. I ended with an A as apparently my C- was the highest grade in the section...

Anyway, I understand the stress, but you've made it this far! You'll definitely pass biochem!

Thank you! I am glad that it worked out for you!!! I could only imagine being soo close to the cutoff before they curved it!!! :nailbiting:

Wonderful!!! Yes, I will definitely look into that! I am taking it online and it is the first class I have ever taken online, which is rough in and of itself.

Thank you! I am glad that it worked out for you!!! I could only imagine being soo close to the cutoff before they curved it!!! :nailbiting:

The online class format is quite hard for me with particular subjects, biochem being one. Actually, my first attempt at biochem was online and I had to drop it. Even though it's online do you still have access to school resources like a tutoring center? YouTube videos, Chad's Reviews, and Quizlet helped me a lot in biochem and other chemistry classes.

And it was so stressful... I was about to pull all my hair out.

The online class format is quite hard for me with particular subjects, biochem being one. Actually, my first attempt at biochem was online and I had to drop it. Even though it's online do you still have access to school resources like a tutoring center? YouTube videos, Chad's Reviews, and Quizlet helped me a lot in biochem and other chemistry classes.

Unfortunately I am taking it through a university that is a couple hours away from me, so a tutoring center is not an option. I will definitely look into using those options to help me, thank you! I can definitely say I prefer the standard lecture/lab set up of all other chem classes I have ever taken.

Unfortunately I am taking it through a university that is a couple hours away from me, so a tutoring center is not an option. I will definitely look into using those options to help me, thank you! I can definitely say I prefer the standard lecture/lab set up of all other chem classes I have ever taken.
Looking at it more it seems like Chad's reviews might only be free for ASU students, so if you want to use them PM me and I can share my login info.

Ahhh I’m going to have troubles picking my school as well. MA resident so my in state is still incredibly expensive :(

Do people find that the budgets listed on the vet school websites are realistic to what it would probably cost? Should I take those into consideration (with tuition) too even though they can be so variable?? Ahh!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I was always told that you almost never get in on your first application cycle

I'll actually point out this is an urban myth; the vast majority of matriculants get in on the first time. Like 80%. Source: AAVMC

Reactions: 9 users
Unfortunately, it really depends on the individual school. I went to ISU and struggled a bit with bills on the maximum allotted amount for living costs (around $12k/year at the time, I think); even having $2k-$3k more would have helped a lot. Some schools are spot-on for the area, some overestimate, some underestimate... if you tell us which schools you’re considering, maybe current students could let you know how they do. Also, keep in mind if you’ve got a working SO or family helping out, that’ll likely lower how much in loans you’ll need to take out for those living costs.

Thank you! Unfortunately it will be just me because I don’t have family anywhere near any of the schools (well, I have some in MA but it would be a 1.5 hour commute at least)

I have been accepted to Cornell, Wisconsin, and PEI. Waiting to hear back from Tufts and UGeorgia. Waitlisted at NC State, would probably go there if I got pulled but it’s quite a long shot.

Thank you for any insights!

Yay!! I was waiting for this thread to be made! I'm like 98% sure where I'm going but haven't accepted my seat yet. I'm so excited to meet my future classmates and.. year-mates? :laugh: "Cohorts" sounds betters. I'm finishing up undergrad rn, and I swear it's always around this time of year where it seems like everything is going at top speed for classes but time is going soooo sloooowly, like it never ends :rofl:

Ok but WSU and Oregon State are pretty much the same price!
If they’re about the same price including tuition, housing, travel to/from home for breaks and moving, allllll costs inclusive.

If they’re still basically the same price for all 4 years, then start looking at other factors

Thank you! Unfortunately it will be just me because I don’t have family anywhere near any of the schools (well, I have some in MA but it would be a 1.5 hour commute at least)

I have been accepted to Cornell, Wisconsin, and PEI. Waiting to hear back from Tufts and UGeorgia. Waitlisted at NC State, would probably go there if I got pulled but it’s quite a long shot.

Thank you for any insights!

Let me know if you have any questions about AVC - I was a US student, graduated in 2015 :)

Yay!! I was waiting for this thread to be made! I'm like 98% sure where I'm going but haven't accepted my seat yet. I'm so excited to meet my future classmates and.. year-mates? :laugh: "Cohorts" sounds betters. I'm finishing up undergrad rn, and I swear it's always around this time of year where it seems like everything is going at top speed for classes but time is going soooo sloooowly, like it never ends :rofl:
I know exactly how that feels! I'm taking the minimum numbers of courses for this semester to try to take it a bit easier (been killing myself with classes and research the past few years), but I'm also trying to keep myself busy by working a lot since I don't expect to have a job the first year or so of school. If I wasn't working I know the semester would be moving MUCH slower than I would want it to.
Also, where are you thinking?! I know WSU was on your list!

Eek-- Yay c/o 2024!! I'm ready for this adventure with ya'll. :clap:

Reactions: 14 users
Right!!?? Its going to all be here so soon but is so far away at the same time!!

I know exactly how that feels! I'm taking the minimum numbers of courses for this semester to try to take it a bit easier (been killing myself with classes and research the past few years), but I'm also trying to keep myself busy by working a lot since I don't expect to have a job the first year or so of school. If I wasn't working I know the semester would be moving MUCH slower than I would want it to.
Also, where are you thinking?! I know WSU was on your list!
Unfortunately I wasn't too smart in planning, and also added an AS at the end of last year, so I'm still taking a full load but it'll be over soon! That's what I tell myself anyway :laugh: Working a lot is smart!! I definitely will be this summer to save up.
I visited WSU earlier this month and absolutely fell in love with it!! So I'm pretty sure it'll be the one for me :love: Where are going/thinking of going!?

Right!!?? Its going to all be here so soon but is so far away at the same time!!
Exactly!! Fall is not that far away at all... like half a year. It's going to go by so fast!!

Reactions: 6 users
Unfortunately I wasn't too smart in planning, and also added an AS at the end of last year, so I'm still taking a full load but it'll be over soon! That's what I tell myself anyway :laugh: Working a lot is smart!! I definitely will be this summer to save up.
I visited WSU earlier this month and absolutely fell in love with it!! So I'm pretty sure it'll be the one for me :love: Where are going/thinking of going!?

Exactly!! Fall is not that far away at all... like half a year. It's going to go by so fast!!
I'm WSU confirmed!! Can't beat the IS tuition :laugh: I also loved the school when I visited, and actually haven't lived in Washington for the past 9 years but am still a resident, so def excited to go back!

I'm WSU confirmed!! Can't beat the IS tuition :laugh: I also loved the school when I visited, and actually haven't lived in Washington for the past 9 years but am still a resident, so def excited to go back!
NO WAY :soexcited: I'm glad you're so excited to go back! We'll probably be classmates then!!!

The instate tuition is really the best

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Yay c/o 2024!!!! :biglove:

I accepted my seat at VMCVM, my dream school! :love: Yesterday I received my student ID number and set up my school email address! It's the little things.

Also feeling stressed about finding pet friendly housing, the moving process, and losing my income. I'm 32 and have worked since I was 18 so this is crazy to me!

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

I accepted my seat at VMCVM, my dream school! :love: Yesterday I received my student ID number and set up my school email address! It's the little things.

Also feeling stressed about finding pet friendly housing, the moving process, and losing my income. I'm 32 and have worked since I was 18 so this is crazy to me!
Just wait until you start classes with a few people who have never held a job before! I can tell you from experience that feels very surreal after being a working adult for several years.

• Wow

Ahhhh!!! I’m in the same boat!! I’m turning 30 this year and I’ve had such a cushy job the last 8 years—I’m so nervous to have to start budgeting my savings to last me 4 years.

Ahhhh!!! I’m in the same boat!! I’m turning 30 this year and I’ve had such a cushy job the last 8 years—I’m so nervous to have to start budgeting my savings to last me 4 years.
Yesssssss. Same :nailbiting:

I too am 30, (31 in a couple months)

I got my student ID and set up my school email yesterday! I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to receive emails haha.

Has anyone moved with a scared cat that gets separation anxiety? How has it worked out? I’m feeling stressed about the moving process, and I’m unsure if I should bring my cat. She’s almost 15 years old, very shy, and was born in the house she lives in now (has never been anywhere else, asside from the vet). I’m scared the stress alone would kill her. When I left to go to university she stopped eating, wouldn’t leave my room, and eventually had to go to the ER when she started vomiting violently everywhere. They couldn’t find anything thing wrong with her, and she seems fine now that I’m driving home every weekend but I can’t do that from another state. I feel like whatever I do will kill her from stress...

Has anyone moved with a scared cat that gets separation anxiety? How has it worked out? I’m feeling stressed about the moving process, and I’m unsure if I should bring my cat. She’s almost 15 years old, very shy, and was born in the house she lives in now (has never been anywhere else, asside from the vet). I’m scared the stress alone would kill her. When I left to go to university she stopped eating, wouldn’t leave my room, and eventually had to go to the ER when she started vomiting violently everywhere. They couldn’t find anything thing wrong with her, and she seems fine now that I’m driving home every weekend but I can’t do that from another state. I feel like whatever I do will kill her from stress...
I think that’s something to talk to your vet about. You could do some sedatives then restrict her to a small area with things that smell like home for a while. And maybe go ahead and start desensitizing to the carrier and doing short car rides, etc. These are just some suggestions I’ve heard, but I’d still do a consult with your vet to see their recommendations. Good luck, I know that’s a difficult situation!

Also, highly recommend Feliway! That stuff can do wonders, whether you try the spray, the wipes or the diffusers. My sister used the diffusers when she moved with 2 senior cats and it made a big difference for them! I definitely second the vet idea though too!

Congratulations everyone! I am so excited for us all! My school sent me info to setup my email address already. Of course I've been checking it every day and of course I don't have any emails yet. :laugh:

Working on putting together my summer plans right now. Currently working full-time at a job I love, but I want to spend the summer doing some special things I know I won't likely have time for during the next four years.

Congratulations everyone! I am so excited for us all! My school sent me info to setup my email address already. Of course I've been checking it every day and of course I don't have any emails yet. :laugh:

Working on putting together my summer plans right now. Currently working full-time at a job I love, but I want to spend the summer doing some special things I know I won't likely have time for during the next four years.
I totally agree with you on doing special things during the summer! I've been planning mine as a distraction from my school work :whistle:

Is it bad that I’ve already been looking for apartments :thinking:

I was gonna wait until June to actually tour apartments :whoa:

I like getting things done as early as possible lol :nod: My in-state does an anatomy workshop during the summer (late May or early June) that I really want to take. I've been out of school for a little over two years now, so I want to get back into the studying mindset before school begins.

Yay! I am so so excited for this next step. Know it going to be hard but so looking forward to it! Kinda stressed about moving and not working full time, but it’ll be worth it!
Also I already have an apartment/living situation sorted so y’all aren’t alone in being early!:rofl:

• Love

I'm taking a grad trip with a few of my close friends in Asia for a few weeks, then spending one week in Europe touring alone! Super nervous for it (and also the amount of $$ I'll be spending) but I'm SO excited to finally have some time to myself and explore the world while I can :clap:

Yay! I am so so excited for this next step. Know it going to be hard but so looking forward to it! Kinda stressed about moving and not working full time, but it’ll be worth it!
Also I already have an apartment/living situation sorted so y’all aren’t alone in being early!:rofl:
I wanna start looking at apartments but I know I want to live with roommates, and I'm a bit too shy to reach out myself, so I'm gonna wait and see if any of my classmates are looking for roommates and then hop on there. I definitely like being early about things and want to have things finalized soon but the thought of having everything done and set is also pretty intimidating (though so exciting at the same time!)