Class of 2025... How you doin’?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, how’s everyone doing lately?
I left my GP job 😅 and while I’ll still be at the wildlife hospital, I’m taking a month or so off of companion animal medicine to travel and mentally regroup. It’ll be tight financially, but I think it’ll work. I have an opportunity at a spay/neuter clinic I may pursue too; surgery is my favorite part of being a vet, and I think being minimally client-facing will be a little better for my brain.

Who knows how it’ll go though. I figure all I can really do is try a bunch of things til something feels right.
Proud of you for leaving when you realized it wasn’t a good fit for you🩷🩷🩷🩷 absolutely incredibly hard to do.
 
Proud of you for leaving when you realized it wasn’t a good fit for you🩷🩷🩷🩷 absolutely incredibly hard to do.
Thank you 🩵 it def wasn’t an easy choice, and they are leaving the door open if I change my mind. the guilt I feel is astronomical. but I can’t pour from an empty cup. I’m sure I’ll one day be able to find or create my place in this world, but man am I glad I’m taking a break.
 
Hey all, how’s everyone doing lately?
I left my GP job 😅 and while I’ll still be at the wildlife hospital, I’m taking a month or so off of companion animal medicine to travel and mentally regroup. It’ll be tight financially, but I think it’ll work. I have an opportunity at a spay/neuter clinic I may pursue too; surgery is my favorite part of being a vet, and I think being minimally client-facing will be a little better for my brain.

Who knows how it’ll go though. I figure all I can really do is try a bunch of things til something feels right.
Burnout is real- I hope you’re able to find the reset you need and find more joy out of GP!

I just started my zoo specialty internship, which is great, except I am so burnt out from my rotating internship that it’s been a little hard to find my footing. It doesn’t help that I’m also frantically working on three different research projects and have also moved away from my support system… so there is a lot going on outside of work too. Hopefully I will be able to tie up some of these loose research ends soon… and then I keep thinking about how am I possibly going to start studying and going through the literature?! So it’s been an adjustment. Sure, I work fewer hours per day (but more days a week for now), but I feel like I haven’t been able to really take advantage of or even enjoy the “extra” time in the evenings. Sometimes I just feel paralyzed by the sheer amount of everything I should be doing.

All that to say I get it 😅
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Burnout is real- I hope you’re able to find the reset you need and find more joy out of GP!
thanks <3 a decade in food service never left me feeling this strung out lol I suspect if I ever do go back to GP, it'll be on a relief-basis only to help make ends meet. too bad for my initial exotics med and abvp goals bc there are so very few exotics vets in my region, but god it just took so much out of me. that said, I was recently voted the least-predictable 'kid' in my family lol, so who knows where I'll be in another 6 months.

ultimately, wouldn't surprise me if I end up teaching at a college. def not a vet school, but something smaller and local. I already work with vet students rotating through the wildlife center, and that's been surprisingly fun -- I take far more joy from it that than I expected.

I just started my zoo specialty internship, which is great, except I am so burnt out from my rotating internship that it’s been a little hard to find my footing. It doesn’t help that I’m also frantically working on three different research projects and have also moved away from my support system… so there is a lot going on outside of work too. Hopefully I will be able to tie up some of these loose research ends soon… and then I keep thinking about how am I possibly going to start studying and going through the literature?! So it’s been an adjustment. Sure, I work fewer hours per day (but more days a week for now), but I feel like I haven’t been able to really take advantage of or even enjoy the “extra” time in the evenings. Sometimes I just feel paralyzed by the sheer amount of everything I should be doing.

All that to say I get it 😅
oof all the change of moving coupled with immediately starting a new position and changing gears entirely can’t be easy. I’m sure you’ll get into the swing of things with time. Sometime I think our brains just need a sec to recharge after moving too, let alone the change in jobs -- you're taking in so much new information. The amount of work expected in a rotating sounds so unhealthy, even if you're learning a lot. I can’t imagine the exhaustion — as miserable as I was with my 12 hour days, I keep telling myself at least I didn’t have overnights or gp on-call. That all said, zoo specialty internship sounds very exciting -- I hope that you have an opportunity to settle into everything, and that it brings you a little more joy each day.

also I feel you about the loose research ends. I recently connected with a local professor that wants to work with me on one of my projects at the center. It would be an enormous help. But seems all I can get myself to do when I do have spare time is either stare into a cup of coffee or pour all of my nervous energy into playing a sport. The focus and curiosity I used to have toward research is totally shot. Being out in the field is my favorite thing, and beneath the burnout I'm thrilled to have talked with a researcher that thinks my idea may work, so I’m trying to convince myself to reach out again this week.
 
Hey all, how’s everyone doing lately?
I left my GP job 😅 and while I’ll still be at the wildlife hospital, I’m taking a month or so off of companion animal medicine to travel and mentally regroup. It’ll be tight financially, but I think it’ll work. I have an opportunity at a spay/neuter clinic I may pursue too; surgery is my favorite part of being a vet, and I think being minimally client-facing will be a little better for my brain.

Who knows how it’ll go though. I figure all I can really do is try a bunch of things til something feels right.
I’m on week 6 of equine internship #2. There are trade offs, mainly that last year I was on call 6 days a week and this year I’m not, but I’m basically guaranteed to work 12-16 hours every weekday +/- a half day on saturdays (this will go to a full 6th day over the winter circuit). So yes it’s challenging and my boss is a crotchety old man, but I’m also not a solo intern, I have other vets at the same point in education than me that I can lean on and learn from which has been really nice, and something I really felt like I missed out on last year. Having other vets my age has also really stengthened my interest in going back for a fellowship because I really love yapping. Like specifically in the truck they’re a captive audience and I’m like, let me tell you about horse hearts!!! Let me tell you why you should be using other things other than GAIN to improve your US image!! Please!! Let’s talk about the importance of off beam imaging while doing follow-up imaging!! and PLEASE USE DOPPLER!!!!!!!
 
The beauty of ABVP is it's always there! I was going to start ABVP this fall through corporate. But since I left, I may not be able to yet. But it's there if I want it next year instead
thank you for this reminder 🩵 I’m going to look into it a little more to see if any of my part-time wild bird patients will count