On the other hand, I've been really emotionally struggling with GP work. I've come a long way, but I'm hard on myself. What's worse is I already find myself struggling with compassion fatigue. I crumple under the weight of client hopes. Some days, it feels like I break hearts for a living. Internal medicine cases stress me out. Sometimes I find myself almost begging owners to take their pets someplace that can hospitalize them, because sometimes, there's very little -- if anything -- I can do on an outpatient basis to help in certain situations. That, coupled with long days -- nowhere near as many as yall have in internship but enough to wear on me -- has me concerned that I'm already teetering on the edge of burnout.
Ultimately, I know whatever choice I make will disappoint people. And I'm struggling with that part, too.
I feel all of this so hard. I fear all I do is end up upsetting people who their GP sent here but they can't afford my estimates OR I give them a different, significantly worse, diagnosis. GP is such hard work because you have to not only be there for wellness, you have to play ER vet, Internist, Oncology, etc to people who don't have access to specialty care. I feel like GPs get a lot of ****, but they're ultimately they do so much on a daily basis to help work up our patients first and get specialists/referral valuable diagnostics.
It sounds like you're taking all the right steps to take care of yourself though! It's 100% ok to be like "this isn't for me" and keep trying new adventures until you find something that fit you, your lifestyle, and your goals. I fully understand the feeling of disappointing people, but you NEED to do what's best for you in order to be the best doctor you can be for your patients. If people can't understand that and are disappointed, **** em. Anyone who's worth your energy will want you to do what's best for YOU because they care about YOU, not how many hours a week you work.
The burnout from not being able to help is very very real, no matter if you're in internship or out in the real world in GP. I feel like for some reason lately I've been seeing really really really sick patients who have been sick for a long time and were finally referred to my teaching hospital for care but the owners have no money or are absolutely unrealistic.
Rant about that because it's been on my mind, I know y'all will understand. Feel free to skip.
I had to try to convince an owner for 4 hours to euthanize her cat with a sodium of 198, a potassium of 8, and an unreadable BUN/CREA who was recumbent, cold, with a heart rate of 80 and a BCS of 1/9 and MCS of 1/3 (not blocked, probably an AoCKD). She sat with it in the quiet room because she wasn't sure if she wanted me to stabilize it (I gave it dextrose, a fluid bolus, and some Cal Gluc, but not insulin because its BG was 66... probably should have done some terbutaline now that I think about it) or euthanize it and I kept telling her "It's time to let him go, he's suffering, he will die in hospital." ..... the cat died as soon as we made the decision to euthanize and I went to get drugs.
I keep thinking about how that cat suffered for hours because the owner had unrealistic expectations and keep thinking about what I could have said to make her make a decision sooner. That particular night, I had 16 patients come in between 10p-2am and it was just me and another intern recieving AND I had to go to ultrasound for an hour with another doctor's patient to run sedation, so I wasn't checking in on her as often as I should have. I felt bad because I felt like I was being pushy about euthanasia, but it was the best thing for that cat; however, this owner had some emotional problems and was having a hard time letting go. The outcome was how it should be but damn it ****ed me up a bit.
End Rant.
I cannot count how many times a day I say this right now. Two weeks of vacation cannot come soon enough.