Class of 2025... How you doin’?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhiloslothicalStudent

Texas A&M CVM C/O 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Congratulations! We are all on our way to being amazing veterinarians! I couldn’t wait any longer to get this started so... how ya doin’? Also apparently friends gifs are a tradition with these threads :rofl:
Joey Tribbiani Flirt GIF

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
#friendsforlife

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your job's a joke, you're broke
Your love life's DOA
It's like you're always stuck in second gear
When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month
Or even your year, but
I'll be there for you
(When the rain starts to pour)
I'll be there for you
(Like I've been there before)
I'll be there for you
('Cause you're there for me too)
You're still in bed at ten
And work began at eight
You've burned your breakfast
So far, things are going great
Your mother warned you there'd be days like these
But she didn't tell you when the world has brought
You down to your knees that
I'll be there for you
(When the rain starts to pour)
I'll be there for you
(Like I've been there before)
I'll be there for you
('Cause you're there for me too)
No one could ever know me
No one could ever see me
Seems you're the only one who knows
What it's like to be me
Someone to face the day with
Make it through all the rest with
Someone I'll always laugh with
Even at my worst, I'm best with you, yeah

...ah vet school so many parallels you will soon learn

Ps totally doing a parody to this song for our Junior Revue and its going to be epic.

Good luck c/o 2025!

Reactions: 4 users
Omgsh this is gonna be me! I’m gonna be a vet!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Omg this is surreal

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know officially where they’re accepting their seat?

I’m still waiting on a few more schools, probably won’t know for sure where I’m going until mid-March! How about you?

Reactions: 2 users
I’m still waiting on a few more schools, probably won’t know for sure where I’m going until mid-March! How about you?

Been accepted to two so far and waiting on 4! I’ll probably decide after I get iowa and Purdue’s answer

Reactions: 3 users
Been accepted to two so far and waiting on 4! I’ll probably decide after I get iowa and Purdue’s answer
That's awesome! Do you have a top choice in mind?

I was accepted to 2 and waitlisted at 3, but once I heard from Texas A&M it was pretty much a no brainer since they are my in-state. Debt is so real, and going out of state no matter how much I may have loved other programs isn’t worth the extra 80K-100K in debt. All things aside I am so excited to be an Aggie! :thumbup:

• Love
I was accepted to 2 and waitlisted at 3, but once I heard from Texas A&M it was pretty much a no brainer since they are my in-state. Debt is so real, and going out of state no matter how much I may have loved other programs isn’t worth the extra 80K-100K in debt. All things aside I am so excited to be an Aggie! :thumbup:

Awesome!!

Congrats y’all. Enjoy the ride...it’s a fast one!

Congrats everyone!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If i dont get into my IS school (tOSU), I think I am going to go to KSU!

Last edited:
Between Mizzou (accepted), iowa and Purdue. Wbu?
Not quite sure yet... I’ve been accepted to Minnesota and Mississippi so far, and my top choice seems to change by the hour! I just really wish I would’ve been able to visit the schools- I haven’t even been to some of these states yet, so it’s hard to know where I think I would like to be, all other factors being equal.

• Care
Not quite sure yet... I’ve been accepted to Minnesota and Mississippi so far, and my top choice seems to change by the hour! I just really wish I would’ve been able to visit the schools- I haven’t even been to some of these states yet, so it’s hard to know where I think I would like to be, all other factors being equal.
im totally feeling the same way! right now my top two choices are penn and cornell- ive been able to drive around both campuses (haven't been able to get to the new bolton center tho for penn) but it was difficult to sense what the atmosphere was like by just driving around during winter break!!! and for you, minnesota and mississippi as states probably have completely different vibes. i grew up right outside of philly and i moved to georgia for undergrad- pennsylvania and georgia feel like they are in opposite worlds!!! the culture is just a lot different down here in GA, and i think you'd find the same thing in mississippi vs minnesota (not a good or bad difference in culture, just different!)

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe we all get to be part of this thread - congrats everyone!!!!! So happy I never have to go through this application process again 🥴

IM SO CONFUSED ABOUT WHERE TO ACCEPT. So far I've received offers to RVC, Penn, Michigan, and OVC. Still waiting on Tufts, Ohio, and Edinburgh. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being between RVC, which has been my top school for a while now, and Penn, which is my dream reach school (I did not expect to get in).

How is everyone else making their decisions? Money only? Or do you kind of evaluate everything as a whole and decide what you will and won't pay more for?

• Care
I can't believe we all get to be part of this thread - congrats everyone!!!!! So happy I never have to go through this application process again 🥴

IM SO CONFUSED ABOUT WHERE TO ACCEPT. So far I've received offers to RVC, Penn, Michigan, and OVC. Still waiting on Tufts, Ohio, and Edinburgh. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being between RVC, which has been my top school for a while now, and Penn, which is my dream reach school (I did not expect to get in).

How is everyone else making their decisions? Money only? Or do you kind of evaluate everything as a whole and decide what you will and won't pay more for?
for me its money - while i do love tOSU outside of financial obligations, its also much cheaper than my other options as IS. I want to move to Nashville after my 4 years and be close to my fiancé's family and it is NOT cheap to live there. OSU is also closer to see his family if we get a free holiday season. I also like to travel and would want money to do that (I feel like im going to look back on this post in 4 years and laugh at my self). I don't think I want children? but that could always change and I would want to make sure I can provide for them as well based off the amount borrowed and my future salary. I think cost is a big factor but also getting the experience you want while acknowledging the financial obligation is also important! Are you getting any scholarships/grants/ FAFSA?

Last edited:

I had multiple offers on my last application cycle and narrowed it down to two before making my final decision, so hopefully I can offer some helpful advice on this!

I think the most important things to consider are finances and whether the school is a good fit for you. Yes in general you'll get the same basic education from any school, they're all trying to prepare us for the same thing and have the same accreditation standards, but look at how the curriculum is designed, things to do in the area, proximity to family, etc.

Financially... again, you're going to get the same basic education no matter where you go, so PLEASE think about tuition and cost of living. If you find yourself leaning toward one school but realize that it will put you in significantly more debt when you graduate, you should try to pinpoint the exact reason you're considering that school and decide if it would really be worth it in the long run.

For me it came down to choosing between LMU and VMCVM, LMU offered me a couple of scholarships that would have made the costs in the end pretty similar/not enough to make that much of a difference. I ended up choosing VMCVM because the curriculum felt like a better fit for me and the way I learn, plus I grew up 20 minutes away so I would still be near my family which I knew would be better for me mentally.

Reactions: 3 users
I had multiple offers on my last application cycle and narrowed it down to two before making my final decision, so hopefully I can offer some helpful advice on this!

I think the most important things to consider are finances and whether the school is a good fit for you. Yes in general you'll get the same basic education from any school, they're all trying to prepare us for the same thing and have the same accreditation standards, but look at how the curriculum is designed, things to do in the area, proximity to family, etc.

Financially... again, you're going to get the same basic education no matter where you go, so PLEASE think about tuition and cost of living. If you find yourself leaning toward one school but realize that it will put you in significantly more debt when you graduate, you should try to pinpoint the exact reason you're considering that school and decide if it would really be worth it in the long run.

For me it came down to choosing between LMU and VMCVM, LMU offered me a couple of scholarships that would have made the costs in the end pretty similar/not enough to make that much of a difference. I ended up choosing VMCVM because the curriculum felt like a better fit for me and the way I learn, plus I grew up 20 minutes away so I would still be near my family which I knew would be better for me mentally.
how much would you weigh opportunities like a residency program you’re interested in? for me, i’m leaning towards cornell, but penn does have a new avian pathology residency that i’m super interested in. are you more likely to get into a residency program at the school you already attend? it looks like with scholarships cornell is going to be probably $10k-$20k cheaper than penn at the end of the 4 years.

for me its money - while i do love tOSU outside of financial obligations, its also much cheaper than my other options as IS. I want to move to Nashville after my 4 years and be close to my fiancé's family and it is NOT cheap to live there. I also like to travel and would want money to do that (I feel like im going to look back on this post in 4 years and laugh at my self). I don't think I want children? but that could always change and I would want to make sure I can provide for them as well based off the amount borrowed and my future salary. I think cost is a big factor but also getting the experience you want while acknowledging the financial obligation is also important! Are you getting any scholarships/grants/ FAFSA?
You make some good points. I also want to travel (hence the applying to schools outside of the US), although I'm sure once I graduate I won't have time for that 😂 I'm right there with you in the "no kids" feeling, but also reserve the right to change my mind. I'm kind of leaving it as a problem for future me to solve because I don't see that changing any time between now and the time I graduate.

Unsure about scholarships/grants/FAFSA. I filled out and submitted my FAFSA, but am waiting on financial packages from all schools. Once I get those, hopefully my decision will be clearer, but for now I'm in this state of flopping back and forth between schools.

Apart from all of this, I'm taking my future career goals in mind - I would love to do lab animal/research/academia, however I also want to explore ECC and maybe a IM specialty? I know all schools will prepare me similarly, but I'm thinking about extramural activity (jobs/shadowing/rotations) as well as my clinical rotation experiences in my fourth year.

I know I sound really negative about the fact I got accepted to multiple schools 😂I genuinely wasn't expecting this and expecting to have to make a hard decision. I just don't want to regret my choice. Anyone else feeling this way?

My top two choices are both in cities, which is where I want to end up in the long run, so I've accepted the idea that I will be paying more. I will try to be saving by not using my car (or having one at all) and relying on public transport which will save me all car related expenses (except at Penn driving to NBC for classes/rotations). Also will be trying to either find people to live with to make rent/utilities cheaper.

I'm happy to hear your experience which choosing a school! This is kind of where I'm at now. While money is important, I really would like to think more holistically for choosing a school. Certainly the curriculum is a factor for me, as well as the experiences I can have outside of class and my clinical rotations. Hopefully I'm able to receive some scholarships to help make my decision more clear cut.

• Care

Money is definitely a major point for me, and I’m also including externship time, opportunities at the school or nearby to get experience and make connections in my goal field (zoo med), plus probably climate will be a bit of a factor- snow is very exciting for me right now as a Florida gal but I’m sure that’ll fade :laugh: I applied only to schools that I really really love so it’s gonna be tough for sure!!

• Care
snow is very exciting for me right now as a Florida gal
As a Texas gal currently in Kansas, it definitely fades quickly :rofl: it’s pretty for a while until it snows and then stays below freezing for 1+ weeks, then it just gets gross and annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
T h a n k y o u

how much would you weigh opportunities like a residency program you’re interested in? for me, i’m leaning towards cornell, but penn does have a new avian pathology residency that i’m super interested in. are you more likely to get into a residency program at the school you already attend? it looks like with scholarships cornell is going to be probably $10k-$20k cheaper than penn at the end of the 4 years.
Generally speaking, you're not more likely to get into a residency program at the school you already attend. At some places you may be infinitely less likely to make that happen because some programs don't take their own students. That being said, you might find more interesting opportunities to learn and shadow and make connections in the field if the school you attend has a residency program in the specialty field you're interested in, but that doesn't mean opportunities won't exist elsewhere.

A super niche specialty like the one you described (avian pathology) might play by their own rules though and prefer their own students or whatnot. But personally I wouldn't pick a school based on the existence of a residency.

Reactions: 5 users
Generally speaking, you're not more likely to get into a residency program at the school you already attend. At some places you may be infinitely less likely to make that happen because some programs don't take their own students. That being said, you might find more interesting opportunities to learn and shadow and make connections in the field if the school you attend has a residency program in the specialty field you're interested in, but that doesn't mean opportunities won't exist elsewhere.

A super niche specialty like the one you described (avian pathology) might play by their own rules though and prefer their own students or whatnot. But personally I wouldn't pick a school based on the existence of a residency.
ok thank you so much for the info!!! i might reach out to them since it is such a specific and niche residency program just to see what their application process looks like (not sure if they use virmp or just have students apply directly to their program) and if they like to take outside students or prefer their own students. but that definitely makes sense and i’m in agreement that i don’t think this one program that i am in no way guaranteed to get into regardless of where i go should be the main deciding factor. thanks!!!!

ok thank you so much for the info!!! i might reach out to them since it is such a specific and niche residency program just to see what their application process looks like (not sure if they use virmp or just have students apply directly to their program) and if they like to take outside students or prefer their own students. but that definitely makes sense and i’m in agreement that i don’t think this one program that i am in no way guaranteed to get into regardless of where i go should be the main deciding factor. thanks!!!!
Definitely reasonable to ask but don’t forget to try googling and find the info yourself...I’m sure that info is online somewhere for current program applicants. With that said, pathology programs are almost exclusively outside of the VIRMP match. There are a couple new pathology internship programs that use the match but I would bet that it is outside the match and you apply directly. There have been surveys in the pathology community asking if people want to switch to the match and it has been a resounding “no” answer and people like being separate. Also pathology usually picks much earlier than the match...most offers go out in November vs the match in March. They probably won’t commit to saying whether they take their own students or prefer outside people...that info is something you learn from watching the program over time or from “insider knowledge” from current trainees. I’d predict you’ll get a vague answer about how it’s a competitive program and they take the best qualified applicants regardless of where they are from.

As a pathologist, I’d say go to the cheapest school, do as well as you can in classes and just seek out as many pathology opportunities as you can in your free time. That will set you up better for getting a residency and for life after residency, imo.

Definitely reasonable to ask but don’t forget to try googling and find the info yourself...I’m sure that info is online somewhere for current program applicants. With that said, pathology programs are almost exclusively outside of the VIRMP match. There are a couple new pathology internship programs that use the match but I would bet that it is outside the match and you apply directly. There have been surveys in the pathology community asking if people want to switch to the match and it has been a resounding “no” answer and people like being separate. Also pathology usually picks much earlier than the match...most offers go out in November vs the match in March. They probably won’t commit to saying whether they take their own students or prefer outside people...that info is something you learn from watching the program over time or from “insider knowledge” from current trainees. I’d predict you’ll get a vague answer about how it’s a competitive program and they take the best qualified applicants regardless of where they are from.

As a pathologist, I’d say go to the cheapest school, do as well as you can in classes and just seek out as many pathology opportunities as you can in your free time. That will set you up better for getting a residency and for life after residency, imo.
thank you so so much for the reply. that totally makes sense and i think you’re completely right that i’ll probably get a vague answer about who gets accepted or not 😂 it seems like a relatively new program because i don’t even see it listed as one of their current residencies, but there’s a few sentences at the bottom of their avian pathology lab web site page that say they are starting up this program and to contact them for more info. i will continue to research on my own though and reach out to the people i’m friends with at penn to see what info i can gather before i call up the contact for the avian pathology lab! thank you!

I’m not quite sure yet and I probably won’t actually commit to a school until the last minute. My top two that I’m picking between right now are UMN and Penn, but ultimately it will come down to the cost. With my veterans benefits the OOS cost of any public school is neutralized which opened up a lot of options to me because (sorry WSU) I’m not spending four years in Pullman. I’m just not lol. UMN has been my dream school for years so I’m 90% sure that’ll be where I end up, but if I can get more money from the VA, Penn sure is tempting...

Also just so crazy I finally get to be part of a class thread!!! It’s happening!!!

I will be attending K-State! It is my in-state school, so it is the best and cheapest option for me. I am in the early admit program and I attend KSU for undergrad, so I didn’t apply anywhere else. I’m excited to spend the next 4 years in Manhattan, and then we’ll see where I end up after that!

I’m going to be attending Michigan State!! It’s been my DREAM school since I was in middle school and I couldn’t be more excited to start! Congratulations to everyone who got acceptances this cycle! It was a rough one hahahaha

• Love
for me its money - while i do love tOSU outside of financial obligations, its also much cheaper than my other options as IS. I want to move to Nashville after my 4 years and be close to my fiancé's family and it is NOT cheap to live there. OSU is also closer to see his family if we get a free holiday season. I also like to travel and would want money to do that (I feel like im going to look back on this post in 4 years and laugh at my self). I don't think I want children? but that could always change and I would want to make sure I can provide for them as well based off the amount borrowed and my future salary. I think cost is a big factor but also getting the experience you want while acknowledging the financial obligation is also important! Are you getting any scholarships/grants/ FAFSA?

Plus OSU is awesome. Go Bucks;)

Still waiting to hear back from the RVC but I think I already have my mind made up about going to St. George's University! So excited to attend and still kinda can't believe that my lifelong dream of GOING TO FRICKIN VET SCHOOL is coming true (let alone in such a beautiful place)!!!!

I’m going to be attending Michigan State!! It’s been my DREAM school since I was in middle school and I couldn’t be more excited to start! Congratulations to everyone who got acceptances this cycle! It was a rough one hahahaha
This right here is a whole-ass mood!! Michigan State has been my dream for literally ever and I honestly can’t believe I’ve been admitted!! I keep re-reading the email but it has yet to fully sink in 😅 I’ll be seeing you in the fall! ☺️

This right here is a whole-ass mood!! Michigan State has been my dream for literally ever and I honestly can’t believe I’ve been admitted!! I keep re-reading the email but it has yet to fully sink in 😅 I’ll be seeing you in the fall! ☺️
Hahaha yes! We’ll be classmates :) I’m so excited

Just got accepted to iowa!!!! So excited rn! Have been accepted to iowa, Ross, Mizzou and waiting on Purdue and Georgia!

• Love
Just got accepted to iowa!!!! So excited rn! Have been accepted to iowa, Ross, Mizzou and waiting on Purdue and Georgia!
omg congrats!!! where do you think you’ll attend????

omg congrats!!! where do you think you’ll attend????

Idk yet! Definitely love Purdue, Mizzou and Iowa! Those were my top 3. I’m really hoping for acceptance at Purdue too so I can choose!

I only applied to WSU and was accepted to the Utah program (I'm a Utah resident). I wasn't interested in applying anywhere else because of in-state tuition and both my family and my husband's family live here in Utah too, so we didn't want to move too far away from them, especially because we have a baby on the way! :) It's fun hearing about everyone's fun plans though and I'm so thrilled for everyone here!! <3 Congrats to you all!!

Also, can y'all believe that I've never seen a single episode of Friends?? :lol: My husband had to explain the storyline to me a couple weeks ago lol

• Sad
  • Wow
I’ve made my decision! It’s gonna be the University of Minnesota for me!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 14 users
Committing to Purdue!!! Got the call from Dr. Reed earlier today! Couldn’t be happier!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
I’ll be committing to Purdue! I’m IS, and with the cheapest in-state tuition in the country, you really can’t beat that. I really love exotics and want to pursue a residency in avian/exotic. Although the income is on the lower side, going to a cheaper school will make that more of a realistic possibility for me 😁

• Love
Crying because I got into my IS Ohio State!!! so excited to be on this journey with y'all and to meet my other fellow buckeyes!

• Love
I’ll be committing to Purdue! I’m IS, and with the cheapest in-state tuition in the country, you really can’t beat that. I really love exotics and want to pursue a residency in avian/exotic. Although the income is on the lower side, going to a cheaper school will make that more of a realistic possibility for me 😁
I want to do wildlife too! I’m also so happy & grateful I got into my IS, allows for more financial flexibility after graduation!

so excited to be posting here :) tOSU acceptance and looking to build a career in pathology, wildlife, and research/education.

• Love
I’ll be committing to Purdue! I’m IS, and with the cheapest in-state tuition in the country, you really can’t beat that. I really love exotics and want to pursue a residency in avian/exotic. Although the income is on the lower side, going to a cheaper school will make that more of a realistic possibility for me

Me too! I’m so excited!!