Class of 2025... How you doin’?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread makes me happy, seeing that beginning excitement about what's to come. Enjoy the ride! It'll be nerve wracking at first but you'll settle in before you know it and just as you get comfortable, you'll graduate and start all over! :D

Congrats to you all on being accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
happy decision day eve everyone!
mildly surprised myself and just enrolled at Tufts based on a lot of personal things. I know I'd been talking about it, but I didn't expect to actually go through with it until this morning.

good luck to everyone still deciding today! I can't believe this is real

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
happy decision day eve everyone!
mildly surprised myself and just enrolled at Tufts based on a lot of personal things. I know I'd been talking about it, but I didn't expect to actually go through with it until this morning.

good luck to everyone still deciding today! I can't believe this is real
YAYYYYYY!!!!! Either way it was a great decision, I'm so happy for you 🥳

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for my fellow soon-to-be first year vet students and anyone else who wants to chime in:

Do you guys plan to buy or rent your books? If you plan to buy your books, do you plan to buy them new or used?

I’ve also considered the eBook option when possible but I’ve always found it hard for some reason to retain information from a textbook I read on a screen. Part of me wants to keep textbooks as a future reference so that’s why I’m leaning towards buy. I’m also leaning towards new so I can write my own notes and not be distracted by other people’s notes. It’s just books are stupid expensive!! I would love to hear everyone else’s thoughts!

Question for my fellow soon-to-be first year vet students and anyone else who wants to chime in:

Do you guys plan to buy or rent your books? If you plan to buy your books, do you plan to buy them new or used?

I’ve also considered the eBook option when possible but I’ve always found it hard for some reason to retain information from a textbook I read on a screen. Part of me wants to keep textbooks as a future reference so that’s why I’m leaning towards buy. I’m also leaning towards new so I can write my own notes and not be distracted by other people’s notes. It’s just books are stupid expensive!! I would love to hear everyone else’s thoughts!
I personally used class notes 99% of the time and text books rarely like case assignments which ebooks are great for. Ebooks are great for clinics too control F vs 2 volumes of 1000+page books of internal medicine. Imo I'd stick with ebooks for school. I never did leisurely or serious serious retention reading for classes. I do own the latest sx book and will pry buy the internal med book when I graduate and a hard copy of plumbs and that's probably it. Tagging @justpawfor more MI related advice.

Reactions: 5 users
I personally used class notes 99% of the time and text books rarely like case assignments which ebooks are great for. Ebooks are great for clinics too control F vs 2 volumes of 1000+page books of internal medicine. Imo I'd stick with ebooks for school. I never did leisurely or serious serious retention reading for classes. I do own the latest sx book and will pry buy the internal med book when I graduate and a hard copy of plumbs and that's probably it. Tagging @justpawfor more MI related advice.
@JustPaws

Reactions: 1 users

I also vote the ebooks because they're likely to be free through your school. You can download hundreds of books for free and stick them on a hard drive. That's what I did.

The hospital I just started at also has tons of books that are newer editions and also free.

Reactions: 4 users

I did not end up buying any books except the anatomy book which I never used. I did buy the anatomy flash cards from an upperclassman and have altered them based on what they had us know for anatomy. I will sell them to you if you want, pm me. Many of the books are available on the MSU library site or provided as pdfs or downloads in each class.
Oh also plumbs is free through library and you can access it on instinct during clinics so no reason to even do the app

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not at MSU but I also only bought one single textbook (guide to the dissection of the dog) in my entire career. I then turned around and sold it immediately after finishing first year. I also almost NEVER used that anyway. We needed one copy each anatomy lab for our group and someone else always had theirs so I just stopped bringing mine.
I’m not a person who reads textbooks and tbh I straight up didn't have time to do so 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m not at MSU but I also only bought one single textbook (guide to the dissection of the dog) in my entire career. I then turned around and sold it immediately after finishing first year. I also almost NEVER used that anyway. We needed one copy each anatomy lab for our group and someone else always had theirs so I just stopped bringing mine.
I’m not a person who reads textbooks and tbh I straight up didn't have time to do so 🤷🏻‍♀️

I forget who tipped me off to the fact that we would only need one book per group for anatomy but I specifically waited until orientation when I met my group and was like "any of you have this?" and since 2 or 3 of them already did, I never had to buy any books at all. :laugh:

• Haha
Will also second the fact that test material overwhelmingly comes from the material you're given by the profs. In all 5 years of vet school, not a single prof (even the worst test writers or the worst lecturers) used info from a textbook and not their lectures

I definitely wouldn’t buy a bunch of books going in. Throughout the program I decided there were a few specific texts I wanted, which I purchased used from other people when they came available for super cheap. Those included:

-Pasquini anatomy (had a copy of Dyce that someone gave me but I liked Pasquini and wanted it for reference)
-Thrall radiology
-Mark Thompson’s Differentials book
Mayyybeeee one other? I’m not in town right now so I can’t look at my bookshelf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations for online note taking apps for windows?
I use one note and really like it because I have it on my iPad as well as my computer and iPhone and it auto syncs between all so I literally have all my notes wherever I am and whatever device I’m using! I’m sure other apps do this as well but one note is free and I haven’t had any issues with it!

I use one note and really like it because I have it on my iPad as well as my computer and iPhone and it auto syncs between all so I literally have all my notes wherever I am and whatever device I’m using! I’m sure other apps do this as well but one note is free and I haven’t had any issues with it!
I second this! I use a surface go and love using one note, it's great for keeping everything organized!

I started off first year using one note trying to hand write my notes. It sort of worked, but my handwriting is terrible. So I switched to writing in text boxes off to the side of slides on one note. Then school switched to online open note and ctrl+f is really bad in one note compared to PowerPoint.

For the past year and a half I’ve been using only PowerPoint and writing extra notes in the speaker notes tab under the slides. That’s worked extremely well for me for two reasons. First, you can ctrl+f everything that way very easily, including what’s in the speaker notes. Second, it helps me to partition what I need to know; there are things the lecturers include in their slides for a reason because those are usually the takeaways, and then there’s what the lecturer says or adds on during their lecture, which is usually higher order knowledge or sometimes just fun facts/tangents. I can add all of that to the speaker notes without cluttering up the slides. That lets me easily read and remember the main points while adding more info later by reading the notes I took if I need to.

While school is going back to in person closed note tests, the ability to ctrl+f efficiently is still extremely important. There are things you’ll learn in other classes down the line that you’ll need to look up, and you’ll have to refer to older classes you haven’t looked at in months/years to fill in some gaps. I have folders for school year and semester, then folders for each class within that semester, then folders for each exam within each class. So if I know I learned a specific piece of information in my med surg 1 class, I can go to that folder and ctrl+f there for the info I need. If I know I learned it during first year but I forget which class, I can ctrl+f the year 1 folder for that info. At this point I can find just about anything I’ve learned in the past two years in a minute or so. You can sort of do that with One Note if you get good with Boolean phrases but I still find it less reliable than PowerPoint.

Just as an example of how it’s been useful, a friend said a patient had a fibrocartilaginous embolism, but he didn’t remember learning about it at all. I didn’t remember anything about it either, but the term rang a bell. I figured if we’d learned about it at all it would have been in one of our pathology classes which we took semester one of second year. So I ctrl+f “fibrocartilaginous” in my year 2 semester 1 folder and I immediately found where we learned it. I found it’s one of the causes of ischemic infarction, along with the other important differentials, and found the slide that talks about the presentation and hypothesized pathogenesis (with pictures and histopath slides). It’s so much more useful than googling because you just get the important info you’re paying thousands of dollars to be taught.

Reactions: 3 users
I do the same thing as you @ajs513! And for the same reason ... makes it so easy to find things quickly :highfive:

Any advice about what laptop to get?
LSU SVM sent out some recommendations for specs (i5 GHz, 16 gigs of ram, and 512 SSD). I have been looking at the Surface Pro 7 (because you can write on the screen) but the model with 512 SSD is a big price jump! Should I bite the bullet and make sure I get a laptop that meets all recommendations? Has anyone run into problems with their laptop's capabilities?
Thanks in advance!

In general, if a program has specific recommendations, I’d get something that met the guidelines. There’s likely a reason they have those recommendations.

Reactions: 3 users
LSU SVM sent out some recommendations for specs (i5 GHz, 16 gigs of ram, and 512 SSD). I have been looking at the Surface Pro 7 (because you can write on the screen) but the model with 512 SSD is a big price jump! Should I bite the bullet and make sure I get a laptop that meets all recommendations? Has anyone run into problems with their laptop's capabilities?
Thanks in advance!
I went with a MacBook Pro that met my school’s requirements and haven’t looked back. I also have an iPad that I thought I would use to handwrite notes on powerpoint or pdf lectures, which some of my classmates do … but I ended up not because handwritten stuff isn’t searchable. In first year alone we had several topics come up multiple times and it was super handy to be able to search thoroughly and quickly. But if handwriting things is how you’ve always done things and you know it works for you then go with the Surface Pro but definitely get the one that meets the requirements. You don’t need the added stress of something not working properly mid-semester :)

big price jump!
I bought a refurb surface that was a generation older than the most recent model when I started vet school. Still fit all the required specs and was a third of the price.

Unrelated, but I see this 2025 thread and my brain makes it 2015 because that was my graduation year. I need to say that by the time this cycle graduates, I’ll have been a full fledged vet for TEN YEARS and that makes me feel old.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Thanks in advance!
I think surface products are a good move. I have a surface books 2 which I really like, but because there’s no active cooling it can get a little hot sometimes. Still, definitely worth it to get more storage. With computers like that you can never add more internally, so you’re stuck with what you have forever. I keep all my notes on my computer and it’s slowly filling up. I could offload a lot of it to an external drive but I want to be able to access all of it whenever I want.

I bought a refurb surface that was a generation older than the most recent model when I started vet school. Still fit all the required specs and was a third of the price.
I got a refurbished acer a few months back after I drowned my third laptop. It has been well worth the 400 bucks I paid for it, until I started summer research and dealing with huge metadata files...now I have to play with my nails every time I need to copy paste or change data format or something:rolleyes:

• Haha
First year student at MSU! Get something you can write on the screen with, but I would be mindful of your schools recommendations.
We are in our first week of classes and it really has helped me during my anatomy lectures.

Thanks in advance!
So IMO microsoft laptops are not that great. They are super expensive and they don't really last, not to mention all the accessories and adapters you have to buy on top of it (same can be said with apple). I really like ASUS laptops. A comparable ASUS 2 in 1 laptop with a surface is cheaper and more powerful, plus it comes with pens and adapters. Plus ASUS makes their own hardware and software, which more techy people tell me that computers like that tend to run better and longer. Microsoft and apple make their own software but use other manufacturer's hardware. Also if you have a costco membership or know someone who does they frequently have deals on laptops.

This is probably really stupid, but is anyone else that’s single feeling pretty lonely? My significant other and I broke up recently, and I moved to a new city for vet school. It’s been great to meet friends but hearing all of them talk about their relationships adds to the loneliness
hey girl!!! I’m going to tOSU and if you ever want to chat just DM me! I have felt lonely even with my fiancé here and working so you are not alone :)

This is probably really stupid, but is anyone else that’s single feeling pretty lonely? My significant other and I broke up recently, and I moved to a new city for vet school. It’s been great to meet friends but hearing all of them talk about their relationships adds to the loneliness
This is not stupid at all and you’re not alone in feeling this way. I just moved across the country to a state where I know literally zero people while I’m in the process of finalizing my divorce. I know how lonely it can feel to be physically isolated from people coupled with losing the idea of how this time in your life would play out. This is a tough time of year too, because I feel like during the summer lots of people get engaged or announce babies, which at least is hard for me to handle. I totally understand how you feel when other people talking about their relationships feels like a stab in the heart, no matter how small of a comment it is.

The way I (try to) look at it is that being single, at least for the first year of vet school, will help me focus and limit my distractions. I also try to remind myself that there are tons of single people around too, it’s just that sad, newly-single brains like to focus on the people in relationships. If you need to spend some time focusing on friendships with single people until you’ve healed more, that’s ok too. It does get better, but it is a slow process. If you ever need someone to talk to I’m here for you!

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Have your schools started changing things again due to covid? We have orientation next week and just found out today that our team-building retreat was canceled. Masks are mandatory, no eating in the classrooms, some other things are already being moved to Zoom. Not horribly surprised since our state is an absolute disaster currently but still pretty bummed.

Have your schools started changing things again due to covid? We have orientation next week and just found out today that our team-building retreat was canceled. Masks are mandatory, no eating in the classrooms, some other things are already being moved to Zoom. Not horribly surprised since our state is an absolute disaster currently but still pretty bummed.
So far for tOSU everything is hybrid and orientation is still in person (we are going to the zoo! Which is pretty cool). I think if students aren’t comfortable they can go fully zoom but have to attend labs as of now? More updates to come I’m sure!

So far for tOSU everything is hybrid and orientation is still in person (we are going to the zoo! Which is pretty cool). I think if students aren’t comfortable they can go fully zoom but have to attend labs as of now? More updates to come I’m sure!
How fun!! I think we’re doing the same thing with in-person labs and optional lectures.

Sorry you’re feeling lonely, and you’re definitely not alone in it. Starting new somewhere is a lonely experience, it’s not just you. Once classes and extracurriculars start that will probably help along with making new friends. And it’s hard to find the time to date during vet school, but not impossible! You can focus on getting settled for now, but promise yourself that once you have an idea of your schedule you’ll make time for yourself to explore some ~rom ants~ options. Just have to be up front with people about what kind of relationship you’re looking for and how much time you’ll have to spend on dates. People have certainly gotten into long-term relationships during vet school before. Just a couple days ago I was told/threatened that “you’ll find someone nice and be stuck in Indiana forever”, lmao

• Care
My classes start Monday and I’m overwhelmed by the amount of prep work! I’m equally nervous and excited for the start of the next four years!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
My classes start Monday and I’m overwhelmed by the amount of prep work! I’m equally nervous and excited for the start of the next four years!!!
What’s the prep work? 😳

Okay, I'll be the first to openly procrastinate to check in... :rofl:

How was orientation for everyone?? What about the first few days of classes?

I REEEEAAAALLY attempted to just relax and have as much fun as humanly possible during orientation and I'm glad I did! It was a blast, and was definitely a nice little rest before school. As for the first few days, I think I'm doing alright?? I don't know, it's really difficult to know where to start with veterinary school, tbh. You feel a sense of, "okay, this is review of stuff I have already learned, but I also feel like I don't remember this? Should I have studied over the summer? Why can't I remember that? Oh ****, no, I definitely recognize that... Ugh, my cell & molec professor would kill me if she knew I forgot about G proteins!" etc. etc. It's so difficult to describe, but I can tell it will be a wild ride!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and living their best vet student lives. This has been a much-needed reprieve, but now it's back to the books!

I REEEEAAAALLY attempted to just relax and have as much fun as humanly possible during orientation and I'm glad I did! It was a blast, and was definitely a nice little rest before school. As for the first few days, I think I'm doing alright?? I don't know, it's really difficult to know where to start with veterinary school, tbh. You feel a sense of, "okay, this is review of stuff I have already learned, but I also feel like I don't remember this? Should I have studied over the summer? Why can't I remember that? Oh ****, no, I definitely recognize that... Ugh, my cell & molec professor would kill me if she knew I forgot about G proteins!" etc. etc. It's so difficult to describe, but I can tell it will be a wild ride!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and living their best vet student lives. This has been a much-needed reprieve, but now it's back to the books!
I don’t start until next month, but I’m soo terrified of all the workload that’s to come. Any tips or learning curves you’ve experienced thus far?

As for the first few days, I think I'm doing alright?? I don't know, it's really difficult to know where to start with veterinary school, tbh. You feel a sense of, "okay, this is review of stuff I have already learned, but I also feel like I don't remember this? Should I have studied over the summer? Why can't I remember that? Oh ****, no, I definitely recognize that... Ugh, my cell & molec professor would kill me if she knew I forgot about G proteins!" etc. etc. It's so difficult to describe, but I can tell it will be a wild ride!
I think that's just part of vet school, I felt the exact same way when I started! Don't feel bad, I guarantee a lot of your classmates are probably feeling this too. Hang in there, you've got this!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I’m probably late to the game but does anyone have any laptop suggestions for vet school? I’ve been procrastinating getting a new one before school so I’ve gotta buy one in the next week lol. I’m thinking about getting a tablet with a keyboard as well since I can use a stencil to take notes on the tablet. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Hey! I’m probably late to the game but does anyone have any laptop suggestions for vet school? I’ve been procrastinating getting a new one before school so I’ve gotta buy one in the next week lol. I’m thinking about getting a tablet with a keyboard as well since I can use a stencil to take notes on the tablet. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!
I love my surface pro :) I had a 3 throughout school and recently upgraded to a 7.

There's a thread around here somewhere with computer suggestions.

I have a surface go and love it! I ended up choosing it because it's more tablet-size than the pro, but still fully functional as a laptop so it's a good all-in-one device

Also had a surface pro from start to finish. My only regret was how small the screen was during clinics with the EMR system. I wish I'd got one screen size bigger

lol i've been having a whirlwind of a time. i like it so far, but i'm already getting preemptively consumed by test anxiety, especially with biochem. so i'm going to set up a time with a tutor to review concepts and help me see where my knowledge gaps are. anatomy seems like it'll get stressful down the line but so far i'm enjoying it and drawing a lot. histo seems okay.

my life transitioned very like... rapidly. hard and fast. i had my last day of fieldwork on tuesday & wednesday, and suddenly i'm in an entirely different place on saturday, in a brand new state, building a brand new life, with classes that started two days later. and didn't even finish my last pre-req until midway through the first-week of vet school (ie, two days ago lol; not sure how common that is but had permission due to weirdness). so kind of a turbulent transition; and my lease doesn't start 'til september 1st so i'm not even moved into my actual apartment yet.

this summer was totally overworked and while i wish i'd have taken a proper break, i just couldn't. i had vet tech boards. i had physics. i had my 2.5 jobs. i visited my grandma and took care of some dual-citizenship things (very, very carefully). so getting here as weird as it's gonna sound - it's actually kind of nice because i can reset to a new normal and sort of find a flow outside of so much external chaos. and also took a break and visited the ocean today for a little bit and felt like that gave me the hard reset i really needed.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
lol i've been having a whirlwind of a time. i like it so far, but i'm already getting preemptively consumed by test anxiety, especially with biochem. so i'm going to set up a time with a tutor to review concepts and help me see where my knowledge gaps are. anatomy seems like it'll get stressful down the line but so far i'm enjoying it and drawing a lot. histo seems okay.

my life transitioned very like... rapidly. hard and fast. i had my last day of fieldwork on tuesday & wednesday, and suddenly i'm in an entirely different place on saturday, in a brand new state, building a brand new life, with classes that started two days later. and didn't even finish my last pre-req until midway through the first-week of vet school (ie, two days ago lol; not sure how common that is but had permission due to weirdness). so kind of a turbulent transition; and my lease doesn't start 'til september 1st so i'm not even moved into my actual apartment yet.

this summer was totally overworked and while i wish i'd have taken a proper break, i just couldn't. i had vet tech boards. i had physics. i had my 2.5 jobs. i visited my grandma and took care of some dual-citizenship things (very, very carefully). so getting here as weird as it's gonna sound - it's actually kind of nice because i can reset to a new normal and sort of find a flow outside of so much external chaos. and also took a break and visited the ocean today for a little bit and felt like that gave me the hard reset i really needed.
I had to respond because yessss, I was sooo busy before school. Work, work, work, plus we went house-hunting in late June, attempted to buy a house, had it fall through, attempted to buy a condo, closed on said condo, moved from Denver, unpacked and then it was orientation. 🥵 It was miserable, and definitely not the relaxing summer everyone suggests prioritizing before vet school! 🤣 At least we know that we weren't alone in our suffering. Solidarity.

I don’t start until next month, but I’m soo terrified of all the workload that’s to come. Any tips or learning curves you’ve experienced thus far?
Definitely don't stress yet! (There will be plenty of time for that later) I definitely would make sure that you are READY TO GO on day one technologically speaking. If I could redo the start of vet school, I would have had a tablet, and I would have gone to campus sometime before classes started and gotten connected to wifi on all my devices. I downloaded all of my lecture slides and notes, but I didn't reupload to my note-taking app before classes started, which was a big mistake! Little things like that would have allowed me to sit down more ready-to-go. Obviously I caught up with all of that stuff, but later in the week when I was staying up a little bit later than I wanted to studying, I was regretting those hours spent fiddling with technology in the first few days.

So, I actually started with a laptop that I got for Christmas from my mom and I made it ONE DAY before I decided to go out and get a tablet. I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 and I ABSOLUTELY love it. I lived in Korea, so I'm admittedly a Samsung fangirl, but I also just love the tablet in general. It has tons of memory (128 GB), which was really important to me since I want to be able to have access to all of my lecture notes, powerpoints, textbook pdfs, etc. I'm a complete convert to tablets, I can't believe I got through undergrad without one. Whatever brand, note-taking app, or whatever you wind up using, just being able to have the ability to handwrite notes onto slides will be so helpful!

How did you all do this??? I feel like if I take any personal time I'm getting behind. I want to make myself proud (and in a way I am, because I'm not even procrastinating at all compared to past me in undergrad) but I still feel like I'm behind my classmates in terms of knowledge and retention and its only week two :(

There's an adjustment period for sure, but even after you adjust you may frequently feel behind because there's always going to be more to study due to the sheer amount of information. The only time I didn't feel behind was at the end of a semester. It's okay to feel this way.

Don't compare yourself to classmates too much. You might think they seem so ahead of you while they actually feel just as behind as you do. And even if they are ahead of you, everybody is different. As long as you're doing well enough to pass and be a competent veterinarian in 4 years then it does not matter if your classmate is doing "better".

If your school has tutoring opportunities, consider taking advantage of them.

Try different strategies until you figure out what works for you. It may be totally different than what has worked in the past and it may be different for different classes.

Take the personal time. Even if it makes you a little behind. You need it.

• Love
For sure go read early beginning threads from previous years, and you’ll see all of us had the same fears and doubts. :)

most of us made it, some did not, but just remember to have faith in yourself to be ok. You made it this far because you are capable human beings.

• Love