Class of 2025... How you doin’?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you all do this??? I feel like if I take any personal time I'm getting behind. I want to make myself proud (and in a way I am, because I'm not even procrastinating at all compared to past me in undergrad) but I still feel like I'm behind my classmates in terms of knowledge and retention and its only week two :(
1. Don’t compare yourself to others.
2. Don’t be afraid to change up how you study.
3. Keep moving forward. There were exams I went into 100% expecting to fail and never did. But if you do bomb an exam, I’m sure there are classmates/tutors/upperclassmen that will gladly help you if you ask!
4. MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF. You’ll be better for it. Burnout is real!

You got this!! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I had my first mini freak out tonight. I started the musculoskeletal unit yesterday and the sheer amount of information being thrown at us daily. It’s only Day 2 and I feel immensely behind. I feel like I’m struggling to learn and retain the material. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to study? I don’t have a set study method. I tend to do well with group settings because teaching others and bouncing ideas off others helps me retain and remember but this isn’t feasible all the time. Currently I have OneNote set up. We basically do one class chunk at a time at MSU and so my only focus right now is musculoskeletal. I’m less worried about learning the parts of the bones because we have access to the anatomy lab 24/7, a bone box at home, and access to virtual anatomy through CSU. I’m looking for suggestions of different ways to learn and study to try them out and see what works for me.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
How did you all do this??? I feel like if I take any personal time I'm getting behind. I want to make myself proud (and in a way I am, because I'm not even procrastinating at all compared to past me in undergrad) but I still feel like I'm behind my classmates in terms of knowledge and retention and its only week two :(
I've been in your boat and what I'm about to say is much easier said than done- try your hardest not to compare yourself to your classmates! You're obviously good enough to be there. Everyone learns in different ways and at different paces, the important thing is to find what works for you and be willing to adapt your approach. In all honesty it probably took me close to a month my first year to really get into a good pattern, and I couldn't tell you how many times I've changed things around since then!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still feel like I'm behind my classmates in terms of knowledge and retention and its only week two :(
I know it's already been said, but it bears repeating. Everyone feels this way. Or, nearly everyone. Remember you only see what people present to you. In reality, everyone struggles somewhere. At the end of the day you are a human first and a vet student somewhere below that. You have to take care of yourself to be able to do any of this.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I had my first mini freak out tonight. I started the musculoskeletal unit yesterday and the sheer amount of information being thrown at us daily. It’s only Day 2 and I feel immensely behind. I feel like I’m struggling to learn and retain the material. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to study? I don’t have a set study method. I tend to do well with group settings because teaching others and bouncing ideas off others helps me retain and remember but this isn’t feasible all the time. Currently I have OneNote set up. We basically do one class chunk at a time at MSU and so my only focus right now is musculoskeletal. I’m less worried about learning the parts of the bones because we have access to the anatomy lab 24/7, a bone box at home, and access to virtual anatomy through CSU. I’m looking for suggestions of different ways to learn and study to try them out and see what works for me.
I feel like I used a million different methods throughout vet school depending on the class and what I had time for. The "best" (i.e. most scientifically proven) methods are always going to be those that involve active recall. Whether that means Quizlet, or notecards/Anki, quizzing each other, or even just seeing how much of the material you can remember after reviewing. I did a lot of whiteboard work for that - would review a particular section and then write out what I could remember, in whatever form made most sense for that material. Sometimes that meant flow charts, or drawings, sometimes just bullets. And then I'd compare back to my notes. But sometimes I didn't have time for all that and just had to read through stuff and hope for the best. I did always find that talking things through with my friends the night before an exam helped a lot. We would take turns explaining some portion of the material, and quizzing each other.

Paging @sheltermed for Michigan-specific tips :)

Paging @sheltermed for Michigan-specific tips :)

It's funny you ping me because Alissa is actually my lil sib! Will shoot her a text for additional advice :p

edit: total coincidence that I got assigned to her as a big sib!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
I feel like I used a million different methods throughout vet school depending on the class and what I had time for. The "best" (i.e. most scientifically proven) methods are always going to be those that involve active recall. Whether that means Quizlet, or notecards/Anki, quizzing each other, or even just seeing how much of the material you can remember after reviewing. I did a lot of whiteboard work for that - would review a particular section and then write out what I could remember, in whatever form made most sense for that material. Sometimes that meant flow charts, or drawings, sometimes just bullets. And then I'd compare back to my notes. But sometimes I didn't have time for all that and just had to read through stuff and hope for the best. I did always find that talking things through with my friends the night before an exam helped a lot. We would take turns explaining some portion of the material, and quizzing each other.
My study group and I would put the UMN anatomy videos on, but muted, and take turns doing the explanation for whichever dissection we were looking at. Worked really well (but obviously only for anatomy lol).

Reactions: 3 users
My study group and I would put the UMN anatomy videos on, but muted, and take turns doing the explanation for whichever dissection we were looking at. Worked really well (but obviously only for anatomy lol).
I did this too with the videos our anatomy instructor made. Found it super helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a really great idea!!!

I also enjoy talking through concepts with a group of people. I also find that teaching something to someone else helps me retain. I’m deciding whether or not to cave in and buy a big whiteboard… problem is my group of friends don’t always want to group study so that can be hard. Also I would try to teach anthony but he understands nothing about vet med lol

I also enjoy talking through concepts with a group of people. I also find that teaching something to someone else helps me retain. I’m deciding whether or not to cave in and buy a big whiteboard… problem is my group of friends don’t always want to group study so that can be hard. Also I would try to teach anthony but he understands nothing about vet med lol

I often just pretended that I was teaching concepts to someone. Could be talking to myself or if I wanted to feel slightly less crazy, talking to my dogs.

I often just pretended that I was teaching concepts to someone. Could be talking to myself or if I wanted to feel slightly less crazy, talking to my dogs.
I teach concepts to my dogs on the regular :lol:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone doing? Can't believe it's already been a month of classes for me- feels like I just started!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
How is everyone doing? Can't believe it's already been a month of classes for me- feels like I just started!
loving so much of it. trying to keep my head above water with exams for sure; survived my first physio/histo exam. dreading my first biochem exam in a couple days 😬

but doing my best to get involved in extracurriculars to keep me sane. playing soccer and doing wildlife stuff when I can.

how about you?

• Love

Completed my first musculoskeletal course and I’m feeling pretty proud! Still in disbelief I’m actually here if I’m being honest, but things are going great otherwise!! ☺️

• Love
Bummed to find out there are no opportunities for yr 1-3 students to join case rounds here at Davis. I love watching House and always sorta imagined getting involved in fascinating cases in vet school. But nope.

• Care
Bummed to find out there are no opportunities for yr 1-3 students to join case rounds here at Davis. I love watching House and always sorta imagined getting involved in fascinating cases in vet school. But nope.
Are there no formal opportunities, or are you literally not permitted to go?

Do you have an account with VIN? They have rounds … never participated but may be worth checking out. I get emails about it all the time

Do you have an account with VIN? They have rounds … never participated but may be worth checking out. I get emails about it all the time
I'm on every one of them. I guess I just want some real-life rounds so I can meet more people who share the interest. I'm starting to feel very lonely in vet school.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I'm on every one of them. I guess I just want some real-life rounds so I can meet more people who share the interest. I'm starting to feel very lonely in vet school.
Are y'all not in person? Can first years get involved in clubs?

I'm so sorry you feel this way. Hopefully it'll get better with time as you make friends with classmates.

Are y'all not in person? Can first years get involved in clubs?

I'm so sorry you feel this way. Hopefully it'll get better with time as you make friends with classmates.
We are completely in person, and have small group activities too. I just don't easily connect with people on a meaningful level I guess. And I live alone with my dogs, not a fan of club activities, or social events in general. I have only myself to blame:rofl:

• Care
  • Haha
We are completely in person, and have small group activities too. I just don't easily connect with people on a meaningful level I guess. And I live alone with my dogs, not a fan of club activities, or social events in general. I have only myself to blame:rofl:
This is such a mood 😂

For the first time since school started, I actually feel like I have things under control. We had our first two exams this week and I did way better than I was expecting. I even gave myself the whole day off today and didn’t do one school-related thing! It feels good :)

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
For the first time since school started, I actually feel like I have things under control. We had our first two exams this week and I did way better than I was expecting. I even gave myself the whole day off today and didn’t do one school-related thing! It feels good :)
I gave myself half the day off to go for a group trail ride, but I'm not sure if I feel like I have things under control 😂

• Care
  • Love
I am personally struggling immensely, I am getting so discouraged by my grades and am so stressed about even making it through this semester. I hope things start to get better, I still feel like I am drowning on a daily basis, and hope I can find some way to catch up. I've been attending peer learning sessions offered by the school and have met with some of my professors, I feel like I am doing all the right things, but my grades aren't reflecting that. I've always had the dream of specializing in exotics, and now I feel like that won't even happen and its so disheartening :(

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
I am personally struggling immensely, I am getting so discouraged by my grades and am so stressed about even making it through this semester. I hope things start to get better, I still feel like I am drowning on a daily basis, and hope I can find some way to catch up. I've been attending peer learning sessions offered by the school and have met with some of my professors, I feel like I am doing all the right things, but my grades aren't reflecting that. I've always had the dream of specializing in exotics, and now I feel like that won't even happen and its so disheartening :(
My best advice is to try to take a little bit of that pressure off of yourself, and make sure you're taking care of yourself as a person.

Learning is so individual and there are so, so many factors that go into it. Things that may be right for one student might not be right for you. If your current study methods aren't working, try something else. If you're constantly feeling stressed/burnt out, give yourself a break. You can't learn when your brain has flipped over into distress mode.

The first few months of vet school are a rough adjustment. Give yourself some grace in working it out. And my PM inbox is always open for chatting/venting if you need it :)

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
That’s awesome! Can I ask what your study schedule is like?

hey I'm right there with ya; it sucks for sure. I'm a tactile learner which has me suffering in biochem in particular and still below average in the other courses. I'll be lucky if I get through it.

So I worry too. I try telling myself everyone brings in a different set of skills. I'm trying to not panic yet; it's pretty early and our brains need a sec to adjust. I'm finding it's not the volume I'm struggling with; it's the breadth. I'm studying too much info, getting too into the details and struggling with the 'big picture' so to speak. And that's so weird to me. How can I focus on concepts if I don't know the details? I'm trying to teach myself to reprioritize, and that's not easy.

can you meet with faculty at your school about pursuing your specialty? even though it's a few years away i find that it helps me to talk to the wildlife people and make summer plans and things. I feel like less of a lost cause and it keeps me motivated.

That’s awesome! Can I ask what your study schedule is like?
Well I’ll start by clarifying that when I say “under control,” by no means am I saying it’s easy! I study a looooot and am just happy that for now my methods are working for me, but I should prioritize sleep more. Right now I get like five hours of sleep a night- don’t recommend lol.

Otherwise I study on my own using learning objectives for each class and then study in a small group before an exam. I try and get “busy work” done early in the week and with minimal effort because that’s not where I choose to prioritize time. I also spend a lot of time in anatomy lab outside of class each week. Idk, I don’t have any really special strategy or schedule but I hope that helps!

• Care
Hi everyone! The K-State class of 2025 student representatives are selling T-shirts as a class fundraiser. I wanted to tell all of you about it because these shirts can be ordered for parents and supporters of any vet students, as KSU is not listed anywhere on the shirt. There is a variety of different shirt and sweatshirt options, along with a wide variety of color options. The shirts will ship directly to you. If you'd like, please share these links with family and friends so we can raise funds to support a variety of class activities (mental health events, cleaning supplies for our lounge, social events, etc). I appreciate the support!

Relieved to share that after the nightmare that was my first biochem exam, my study methods for anatomy at least are working. I draw everything. I use ink, colored pencils, markers; the whole deal. I come from an artsy background and at first I saw the material and slides and had a moment of, 'yeah, no way" so I took it into my own hands. I never would've guessed that art could be so valuable in a science, but now I actually look forward to studying for it and I'm curious to see I can apply the same methods to histo.

Can't really do the same with biochem but hoping I'll just struggle my way through for now.

• Care
Hi everyone! The K-State class of 2025 student representatives are selling T-shirts as a class fundraiser. I wanted to tell all of you about it because these shirts can be ordered for parents and supporters of any vet students, as KSU is not listed anywhere on the shirt. There is a variety of different shirt and sweatshirt options, along with a wide variety of color options. The shirts will ship directly to you. If you'd like, please share these links with family and friends so we can raise funds to support a variety of class activities (mental health events, cleaning supplies for our lounge, social events, etc). I appreciate the support!

these are really cute!! i may get one for my mom :) is it only for a limited time?

these are really cute!! i may get one for my mom :) is it only for a limited time?
I talked to the fundraising chair and he said that the supporters shirt will start shipping on 10/12 and the parent shirt on 10/29!
We can always sell the shirts again, but it looks like the first round of shirts will end at those deadlines. And the website doesn’t let him change the deadlines for some reason so that’s why there’s a different date for the two designs.

Relieved to share that after the nightmare that was my first biochem exam, my study methods for anatomy at least are working. I draw everything. I use ink, colored pencils, markers; the whole deal. I come from an artsy background and at first I saw the material and slides and had a moment of, 'yeah, no way" so I took it into my own hands. I never would've guessed that art could be so valuable in a science, but now I actually look forward to studying for it and I'm curious to see I can apply the same methods to histo.

Can't really do the same with biochem but hoping I'll just struggle my way through for now.
We all have something we struggle with! You got this :highfive:

Update: I passed my second anatomy exam and my professor even wrote a little note saying "Good Improvement, Keep up the good work" on my lab answer sheet 🥲
Now onto physiology on monday, and boy that's a whole other beast 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
Hey frienz, how's first year vet school treating ya? If you are a bit lost (and maybe frustrated) in anatomy, or biochemistry, and wondering "how do these make me a good doctor if ever" and missing your pre-vet days working in a clinic with patients, here's a fun activity for you.

I'm organizing case rounds for lower grade (c/o 2025 and some c/o 2024) vet students with the help of some wonderful clinicians. During the 1h zoom rounds we'll discuss a clinical case. The discussants (usually clinicians, but vet students are very welcomed to volunteer) are blind to the case and will share their diagnostic reasonings to solve the case. Don't worry if you think "but I haven't learnt about any disease processes, or how to interpret a test!" The important thing is to practice your logic to navigate through a case, learn some common diseases and clinical pitfalls, and we always prepare some learning materials regarding the cases discussed for you to read about afterwards!

The rounds are on zoom every Sunday 5pm PST/8pm EST. Today is the third session, where we'll discuss a GI related case with a GI expert! Here's the zoom invite for anyone interested, just pop in and have some fun, you're welcome to participate and/or ask questions whenever you want, and will not be called upon if you'd like to just listen and try the water!

Tianjiao Li is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Cool Case for Lower Grades
Time: This is a recurring meeting Sunday 5pm PST/8pm EST
Join Zoom Meeting Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting Meeting ID: 994 3098 0715
Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting

PM me if you'd like to be added to the email list to receive learning materials and join online discussions!

Shameless plug again! This week we have an oncology resident sharing a case with us (I was promised an interesting case plus some learning points!), and next week we have an ECC resident coming. Use this link to RSVP if you are interested, I'll send out the Zoom invite to those who sign up on Friday!

Again, it's Sunday 5pm PST/8pm EST. Bring your questions on internship/residency too!

How is everyone doing? :) We have just one more week left of small animal anatomy and then we're done with it for good- I think everyone is excited for that! We still have another month and a half left of classes, but I'm hopeful there will be more free time since we won't be living in the lab every day!

How is everyone doing? :) We have just one more week left of small animal anatomy and then we're done with it for good- I think everyone is excited for that! We still have another month and a half left of classes, but I'm hopeful there will be more free time since we won't be living in the lab every day!
Oh god I haven't hopped on here in a bit, far too much going on o_O *spends hours catching up on SDN instead of preparing for Anatomy lab tomorrow*

So far everything's going well! I'm surprised that I'm actually doing fairly well in my classes, much better than I expected! A lot of what we learned was a more in depth review of a lot of concepts I saw in undergrad, so I think that made everything make more sense.

We just finished our last Developmental Bio lecture today, final is in two weeks, right before Thanksgiving! Then it's only Histo, Biochem, and Anatomy for finals in December! So jealous that you're done with SA anatomy already, we're not done until February or March, I think. I'll be glad when it's over and I don't have to sit in lab for 3 hours every other morning and smell like formaldehyde for the rest of the day.

Other than that, I've been trying to do some shadowing in our small animal hospital in order to get to know the clinicians and get comfortable in the hospital before clinics (yes, I know its 2 years away 😂 ). I've been doing mostly ECC shadowing since that's what I'm most interested in at the moment, but I've also shadowed neurology and soft tissue surgery. I got to watch a soft palate resection and a neuter today! Not the most exciting surgeries but it's still nice to get back into a clinic. If there's one thing I'd change, it'd be how much hands-on experience we have. We have an Intro to Clinical Skills class, but so far we've only spent 1 hour learning how to do PEs on dogs and cats, spent a few hours shadowing in the hospital, and an afternoon out at our LA campus doing physicals on horses and cows. I've missed actually touching an animal so much that I picked up a few shifts at work just to be able to actually do TPRs, auscultate, draw blood, place catheters, etc.

Also been trying to get involved with clubs and orgs on campus. I'm currently the lunch talk coordinator/ social media person for our chapter of SVECCS. There are a few more things I'm trying to get involved with as the year goes on, didn't want to throw too much on my plate until I got settled in!

One thing I've been stressing about is next summer (yeah, I know). What is everyone planning on doing, if you've planned something? I feel like everyone here is talking about research or doing a clinical summer program, like Banfield. I'm not really interested in any of the clinical research happening currently and I definitely don't want to sit in a lab all day. I also would love to take a break from clinical work for a bit. I was hoping to find something animal-related abroad, preferably in Europe (that's NOT voluntourism, I refuse to pay 4k to go walk dogs in Romania). Anyone know of anything or want to plan something? I'm dying to travel but also do something that can go on a CV.

How's it going for everyone else? Hopefully good? Anything you've been surprised about (good or bad)? Things you'd change? Things you LOVE!? I can't believe we're all almost 1/8 of the way to being vets :eek: It's gone by so fast!!!!!

Also anyone else following this years applicants and having some serious flashbacks to last year when that was us!?

Oh god I haven't hopped on here in a bit, far too much going on o_O *spends hours catching up on SDN instead of preparing for Anatomy lab tomorrow*

So far everything's going well! I'm surprised that I'm actually doing fairly well in my classes, much better than I expected! A lot of what we learned was a more in depth review of a lot of concepts I saw in undergrad, so I think that made everything make more sense.

We just finished our last Developmental Bio lecture today, final is in two weeks, right before Thanksgiving! Then it's only Histo, Biochem, and Anatomy for finals in December! So jealous that you're done with SA anatomy already, we're not done until February or March, I think. I'll be glad when it's over and I don't have to sit in lab for 3 hours every other morning and smell like formaldehyde for the rest of the day.

Other than that, I've been trying to do some shadowing in our small animal hospital in order to get to know the clinicians and get comfortable in the hospital before clinics (yes, I know its 2 years away 😂 ). I've been doing mostly ECC shadowing since that's what I'm most interested in at the moment, but I've also shadowed neurology and soft tissue surgery. I got to watch a soft palate resection and a neuter today! Not the most exciting surgeries but it's still nice to get back into a clinic. If there's one thing I'd change, it'd be how much hands-on experience we have. We have an Intro to Clinical Skills class, but so far we've only spent 1 hour learning how to do PEs on dogs and cats, spent a few hours shadowing in the hospital, and an afternoon out at our LA campus doing physicals on horses and cows. I've missed actually touching an animal so much that I picked up a few shifts at work just to be able to actually do TPRs, auscultate, draw blood, place catheters, etc.

Also been trying to get involved with clubs and orgs on campus. I'm currently the lunch talk coordinator/ social media person for our chapter of SVECCS. There are a few more things I'm trying to get involved with as the year goes on, didn't want to throw too much on my plate until I got settled in!

One thing I've been stressing about is next summer (yeah, I know). What is everyone planning on doing, if you've planned something? I feel like everyone here is talking about research or doing a clinical summer program, like Banfield. I'm not really interested in any of the clinical research happening currently and I definitely don't want to sit in a lab all day. I also would love to take a break from clinical work for a bit. I was hoping to find something animal-related abroad, preferably in Europe (that's NOT voluntourism, I refuse to pay 4k to go walk dogs in Romania). Anyone know of anything or want to plan something? I'm dying to travel but also do something that can go on a CV.

How's it going for everyone else? Hopefully good? Anything you've been surprised about (good or bad)? Things you'd change? Things you LOVE!? I can't believe we're all almost 1/8 of the way to being vets :eek: It's gone by so fast!!!!!

Also anyone else following this years applicants and having some serious flashbacks to last year when that was us!?
That’s awesome!! Glad you’ve been able to keep busy :) I’ve also joined sooo many clubs hahaha, and I’ve gotten to do some cool wetlabs through them, especially with large animals which has been great! I’ve been able to volunteer a bit at the zoo med ward through one of the clubs too, which I’ve really enjoyed. Currently trying to get involved in research and line things up for the summer- I’ve already blocked off a good chunk of time to go back to a place that I interned at during undergrad, so now I’m applying for other programs to get some extra experience in. I think a lot of people at my school are also looking into the summer research programs or those paid internships, but it’s still early! And yes, it’s so crazy to think that last year I was right in their shoes constantly refreshing my email! I’m definitely liking vet school a lot better than that waiting game so far!

• Love
I was hoping to find something animal-related abroad, preferably in Europe
My bestie in the class above me did the BI summer research program at the vet school Utrecht. She was paid and every weekend went and explored Europe. She was even listed as an author on the paper.

We took our anatomy finals last week, definitely glad to have it out of the way but we haven't gotten grades back yet. Not that it really matters so long as I (hopefully) passed :laugh:

We're moving onto genetics, cell bio, and general pathology. We were told this section would be easier (and to be fair, the content is easier than anatomy) but it's a weird transition from lab/study-heavy to lecture/assignment-heavy. After lectures yesterday, we all found out that we also have pre-recorded lectures online that need to be watched in addition to normal in-class lectures. I can't complain though because it's not hard and looking at gross things in pathology is a lot of fun :heckyeah:

• Love
My bestie in the class above me did the BI summer research program at the vet school Utrecht. She was paid and every weekend went and explored Europe. She was even listed as an author on the paper.
Oooh good to know, I'll check that out! Thank you :)

Not doing much during your summer is not a bad thing. I did minimal my two summers of vet school. I did a bit of volunteering at my local shelter, had 1 2-week externship that allowed me after first year, and shadowed a couple days in shelter med.

Doing something for a bit locally and then traveling for some of your summer isn’t a bad idea either! I’m not sure if the banfield program you can do a shorter period of time for your summer or not, but I’m sure you could find some other shorter externships if not. Then you could travel, do something to put on your CV, and then have some time to rest and relax.

Oop glad I’m not the only one using SDN to procrastinate…

• Haha
Hi everyone! Hope you’re all hanging in there as we prepare for finals the next few weeks! Anybody have exciting plans for winter break (vet-related or non-vet-related)?