Class of 2025 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an email saying that pco needed to see my fall and spring schedule along with my midterm grades if they are available but my school does not have a system for that. If anyone has had a similar experience, will they ask for my fall grades or do you think they will just accept me. They did not say they needed them to make a decision but just to send them if they are available. My interview went really well and the interviewer seemed pretty confident in me. It’s my top choice and I really want to know as soon as possible. Please help!!!!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/02/2020
Date verified: 08/04/2020
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 320 TS
Major: Medical Studies (B.S.) - Optometry Track
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.61/3.91
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed 4 optometrists, 1 ophthalmologist (4 month internship with 2 optometrists, currently in an internship with 1 optometrist), Treasurer of Pre-Optometry club, Treasurer of Pre-med club, volunteer at a special needs daycare (+150 hrs), volunteer at 2 other local organizations (+75 hrs);
Past employment at Discover card, Chase Bank (assistant manager), Library aide (at my university library)
Multiple honors and dean’s list awards
Letters of Recommendation: 2 from Optometrists (interned with), 1 from my Organic Chemistry II professor
Schools applied: AZCOPT (08/04), SCCO (09/02)
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (08/04/2020), SCCO (09/14/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (8/11) SCCO (09/22)
Interviews declined/date:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCCO (09/25)
Waitlisted: AZCOPT (08/25)

In my feels after being waitlisted for not being “as professional as others in the group” during my interview:

I don’t understand why I was waitlisted, my GPA and OAT scores are higher than the average accepted for their prior year’s class. In my virtual interview, I personally feel it went really well.

I got an email just before midnight so plan on contacting them tomorrow but anyone have any advice? Is it acceptable to ask if my GPA is too low or my scores aren’t high enough? Very heart breaking and disappointed.

SCCO class of 2025!
Fellow classmates feel free to pm!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/24/2020
Date verified: 08/25/2020
OAT Scores: 350AA, 390TS
Major: B.S Biology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.93 / 3.94
Extracurricular Activities: 2 years work experience as pharmacy tech, 20 hours OD shadowing, 6 months volunteering at a nursing and rehab hospital, some involvement with university chemistry club and pre-health club (nothing too special), 1 semester as a gen-chem and physics tutor.
Schools applied: IU, MCO@Ferris State, OSU
Interviews extended/date: (MCO 8/26), (IUSO 9/2), (OSU 9/16)
Interviews accepted/date: (MCO 10/19), (IUSO 9/11), (OSU scheduled for 11/13 - but I cancelled this after I accepted MCO's offer on 10/21)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: IUSO (9/15), MCO (10/21)

I'll be joining the MCO Class of 2025!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind sharing how your CCO interview went? Theres not much people post about that school!

Yes! The interview was pretty casual from what I remember. You meet as a group and go over introductions with each other then learn some stuff about the school. You take turns interviewing so while you aren't interviewing they let you talk to the other students to get to know them. I was interviewed by two faculty members and it was really short, about 20-30 minutes. They just asked basic questions like why optometry and then asked about some stuff on my application. It was really easy and laid back so don't stress!

Has anyone interviewed with Berkeley that could possibly share how it went? :) Thanks so much!

Has anyone interviewed with Berkeley that could possibly share how it went? :) Thanks so much!
Hi! I interviewed with Berkeley a few weeks ago. It went well, it wasn't as conversational as I expected it to be. I highly recommend googling behavioral-type interview questions though, I wish I had done that beforehand. My interview was scheduled to be around 30 minutes and it ended right on the dot, so they get into the interview process right away! Best of luck, you'll do great!

Hi! I interviewed at Berkeley during the first week of October and I am still waiting as well. Makes me feel better I am not the only one hahah :/
I know, it's so nervewracking! Best of luck to the both of us!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/27/2020
Date verified: 8/28/2020
OAT Scores: TBD, scheduled for 10/21
Major: Neuroscience | Minors: Psychology; Science, Technology, & Law
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.68 overall; 3.61 science
Experiences: Teaching Assistant Spring 2020 (Intro to Neuroscience lecture, covid transition semester); Panama study abroad Winter 2020 (research/service work); 25 hours shadowing optometrist Summer 2019; sorority member; neuroscience club member; part-time job (6 years); headed research proposal on cure for juvenile open-angle glaucoma/JOAG; wrote IP review of existing contact lens patent applications
Schools applied: PCO/Salus; NECO; NOVA; ICO; IUSO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (9/2); IUSO (9/4); NECO (9/15); ICO (9/15);
Interviews accepted/date: Salus (9/29); NECO (10/30); ICO (11/6)
Interviews declined/date: IUSO (9/5)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO/Salus (10/1) !

I'm thrilled to have been extended interview invitations from 4/5 of the schools I applied to before having taken the OAT -- for anyone else who is looking to apply but has not yet taken the OAT: do it!

will continue to update! :)
Hi!! congrats on all your interviews! By any chance for NECO did you get a completion application status page? Mine says that they haven't received an OAT so its not marked complete for review and put on hold. Did you have a GRE score by any chance?

Hi!! congrats on all your interviews! By any chance for NECO did you get a completion application status page? Mine says that they haven't received an OAT so its not marked complete for review and put on hold. Did you have a GRE score by any chance?
Hey! Thanks so much! No, I did not get the fully complete application status on the NECO portal page before they reached out to me. They emailed me directly and said that they were interested in interviewing me before receiving my OAT scores and not to worry about the incomplete status. I haven't taken the GRE. Hope this is helpful!

Everyone still waiting to hear back from Berkeley is making me nervous!! They say 3 weeks after your interview. I interviewed on October 3rd so I am also still waiting. Hope we all get what we want!

Can also agree that the interview was a little tough and a lot more formal that I was anticipating.

On the other hand, I interviewed with AZCOPT and I think it went a lot better so hopefully I will have a backup plan if Berkeley isn't the one for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/10
Date verified: 9/10
OAT Scores: AA 340 TS 330
Major: Biology with a minor in Fashion and Retail Studies
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.9/ 3.7
Extracurricular: Business of Retail Association, Student Ambassador at Wexner Medical Center - volunteered at University East Hospital, Ear and Eye Institute and COVID relief warehouse, Interned in Hong Kong at a clothing manufacturer
Schools applied: UCB, AZCOPT, ICO and OSU
Interviews extended/date: UCB 9/14, AZCOPT (??), ICO 9/16, OSU 10/1
Interviews accepted/date: UCB 10/3, AZCOPT 10/14, ICO 11/13, OSU 12/18
Interviews declined/date: OSU 10/23, ICO 10/25
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: AZCOPT 10/22, UCB 11/2

UCB ‘25 !!!

Probably will not be interviewing with OSU. I did my undergrad here and need something new. Also kind of annoyed with how pathetic our admissions office is here. Really? The earliest you can interview is December 18th after sending in my application in September...unacceptable and really disappointed of my school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hey! Thanks so much! No, I did not get the fully complete application status on the NECO portal page before they reached out to me. They emailed me directly and said that they were interested in interviewing me before receiving my OAT scores and not to worry about the incomplete status. I haven't taken the GRE. Hope this is helpful!
Yes, thanks for your reply and congrats to your interviews and your admission to PCO!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I interviewed with Berkeley a few weeks ago. It went well, it wasn't as conversational as I expected it to be. I highly recommend googling behavioral-type interview questions though, I wish I had done that beforehand. My interview was scheduled to be around 30 minutes and it ended right on the dot, so they get into the interview process right away! Best of luck, you'll do great!

Thank you so much for the insight!! I am sure you did great. Good luck to you!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/31/2020
Date verified: 08/05/2020
OAT Scores: 320AA/290TS
Major: Health Sciences, B.S.
GPA: 3.13 overall, 3.37 science
Extracurricular Activities: 14,000 hours work experience as optician/optometric tech/certified ophthalmic tech, web coordinator/social media promoter of pre-optometry club, member of professional touring handbell ensemble, Skin cancer Protection Friend(SPF) melanoma awareness advocate, optometric internship
Schools applied: AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (08/21/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (09/15/2020)
Interviews declined/date: 0
Rejections/date: 0
Acceptance/date:
AZCOPT (09/24/2020)

AZCOPT CLASS OF 2025!!!!!!

Congrats! How was the process? Any recommendations to applying at AZCOPT?

When is it considered too late to apply to an optometry school?
If there is a particular school of interest, I would call the admission office. The reason I say this is because some schools may fill their class earlier than others.

With that being said, can someone let me know / please post if they do hear back from UCBSO? That's the only school I am waiting to hear back from and it's making me anxious because I can't really tell where I stand in the process. I really appreciate it!!!

With that being said, can someone let me know / please post if they do hear back from UCBSO? That's the only school I am waiting to hear back from and it's making me anxious because I can't really tell where I stand in the process. I really appreciate it!!!
I really think it might be tomorrow. It marks 3 weeks from my interview and for the first month cycle they told people on a Friday. Fingers crossed!

I really think it might be tomorrow. It marks 3 weeks from my interview and for the first month cycle they told people on a Friday. Fingers crossed!
No way really! I just hit three weeks today so I guess maybe that's why I am extra impatient . Well, let's hope for the best!!

Amazing! Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll make sure to reach out by the end of the week, if I haven't heard from them. :)
Hi!, Did you end up receiving that email from PCO?

To my people who interviewed at IU... Since its not a typical interview how did you prepare?
The entire interview was laid back. The sessions were conversational. I had nothing but group sessions. Some participants did not ask any questions to my memory. You will need to introduce yourself . I would prepare to ask 2-3 questions about the school, living areas etc. Best of luck to you !

Just got accepted into Berkeley Optometry! Dr Torres in the house! Congrats to everyone else who found out today

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted into Berkeley Optometry! Dr Torres in the house! Congrats to everyone else who found out today

Congratulations! Did they call or email? What time?

Thanks man. They emailed today at 4:38PM. It took over a month to find out. I interviewed back on Sept 21!

If you guys haven’t found out yet, I wouldn’t be discouraged. I see some of you interviewed end Sept/beginning Oct, so it might take an extra week for you. Hang in there!

If you guys haven’t found out yet, I wouldn’t be discouraged. I see some of you interviewed end Sept/beginning Oct, so it might take an extra week for you. Hang in there!
Thank you for the reassurance!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/16/2020
Date verified: 08/18/2020
OAT Scores: 350 AA/ 340 TS
Major: Biology / Physiology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.86/3.71
Schools applied: UCBSO, SCCO, WUCO, AZCOPT, CCO, UHCO, PUCO, and IUSO
Interviews extended/date: WUCO (08/31), UCBSO (09/14), SCCO (09/02), PUCO (08/25), IUSO (08/24), AZCOPT (08/20), CCO (08/29) + UHCO (09/28)
Interviews accepted/date: WUCO (09/18) UCBSO (10/02), SCCO (10/12), PUCO (10/16), IUSO (10/16), AZCOPT (10/27) CCO + UHCO tbd
Interviews declined/date: Will probably decline the listed Non-California interviews
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
WUCO (09/22), SCCO (10/16) + UCBSO (10/23)
Extracurriculars:
  • Worked as an optometric assistant for 2 years
  • Honors Student
  • Hospital Volunteer for 1 year

Well, looks like I'll be attending UCB :)

Hey congrats on your acceptances!! Do you remember what questions UCB asked you?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/28/2020
Date verified: 8/31/2020
OAT Scores: AA: 360, TS: 350
Major: Biology, minor in Applied Statistics
GPA: 3.58 cumulative, 3.44 science (OptomCAS verified)
Extracurricular Activities: optometric tech at 2 private practices (1 year), 240 hours shadowing at a private practice, 4 years volunteering at free medical outreach for optometry, 2 years Public Relations chair for healthcare volunteering org, 2 years hospital volunteering, research in bioinformatics and psych labs, president of collegiate a cappella team, 2 years math/science tutor, 1 year medical assistant for neurology office
Schools applied: UCBSO, ICO, IUSO, PCO (Salus), SUNY
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (9/1), IUSO (9/2), UCBSO (9/14), ICO (9/14), PCO/Salus (9/22)
Interviews accepted/date: SUNY (10/8), IUSO (9/18), UCBSO (9/30), PCO/Salus (10/16)
Interviews declined/date: ICO (9/14)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
IUSO (9/22), SUNY (10/13), PCO/Salus (10/22), UCBSO (10/23)

I'll be joining the Berkeley Class of 2025!!! :3 Feel free to dm and introduce yourself, I'd love to get acquainted!!! <3

Got my acceptance to UC Berkeley School of Optometry today!!! I'll be joining UCBSO's class of 2025! Super thrilled and can't wait to start the program. Feel free to dm and introduce yourself, I'd love to get acquainted! :cat:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks man. They emailed today at 4:38PM. It took over a month to find out. I interviewed back on Sept 21!
Hi future classmate!

Agreed, I got my e-mail at 4:34 PM and interviewed on 9/30. I was at work when I got the e-mail and started hyperventilating so I had to go outside and sit down :happy:

OAT Scores: 390AA/400TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.96/3.98
Extracurricular Activities: Worked a summer at an optometry office, lab technician on a stereovision research project, hospital volunteering, undergraduate TA in three classes, exec position in a couple of school clubs, some other things.
Schools applied: UCBSO, Waterloo (submitting soon), SUNY, NECO, PUCO, PCO
Interviews extended/date: SUNY(8/31), PUCO(8/4), NECO(9/4), PCO(9/11), UCBSO (9/14)
Interviews accepted/date: SUNY(10/15), PUCO(9/11), NECO(10/2), PCO(9/21), UCBSO (10/7)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PUCO(9/11), PCO(9/24), NECO(10/7), SUNY(10/16), UCBSO (10/23)

UCBSO 2025 (probably)! Hit me up if you are too; I'd love to meet you all!

Hey congrats on your acceptances!! Do you remember what questions UCB asked you?
Hi! Thanks! I don't recall the specifics tbh, a lot of it has been blocked from my memory (lol) but I did use SDN to prepare for my interview so I highly recommend the interview feedback portion :) so sorry!! All I remember is that they do include behavioral-type so I recommend brushing up on those if you have not.

OAT Scores: 390AA/400TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.96/3.98
Extracurricular Activities: Worked a summer at an optometry office, lab technician on a stereovision research project, hospital volunteering, undergraduate TA in three classes, exec position in a couple of school clubs, some other things.
Schools applied: UCBSO, Waterloo (submitting soon), SUNY, NECO, PUCO, PCO
Interviews extended/date: SUNY(8/31), PUCO(8/4), NECO(9/4), PCO(9/11), UCBSO (9/14)
Interviews accepted/date: SUNY(10/15), PUCO(9/11), NECO(10/2), PCO(9/21), UCBSO (10/7)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PUCO(9/11), PCO(9/24), NECO(10/7), SUNY(10/16), UCBSO (10/23)

UCBSO 2025 (probably)! Hit me up if you are too; I'd love to meet you all!
Congrats!! I will be UCBSO 2025 as well! So exciting :)

I got accepted today too! UCB Class of 2025! Any of the newly admits want to get in contact with one another? Or is there a Facebook page or something?

I got accepted today too! UCB Class of 2025! Any of the newly admits want to get in contact with one another? Or is there a Facebook page or something?
Congrats!! Yes, I am all down to get in contact with everyone! Wow, this is so exciting !!

There’s a fb group. UC Berkeley Optometry Class of 2025! Join there and then we can all chat :) Whoohoo So exciting!

Hi future classmate!

Agreed, I got my e-mail at 4:34 PM and interviewed on 9/30. I was at work when I got the e-mail and started hyperventilating so I had to go outside and sit down :happy:
omg congratulations!

How long did it take if you don't mind sharing? I'm still waiting on mine.
It took about a week to receive the official email from them. If you still haven’t received it after a week or so, I would contact the school.

Hey! Does anyone have any pointers for MCPHS interview? How was it?

Hey! It was really laid back in my opinion. When you first start the meeting, two people come up, one is the interviewer and the other is just there to introduce you and goes over the interview process. It was really conversational and comfortable. Be ready to answer basic questions about yourself, why optometry and your experiences in the field. I also a scenario based question, but it was easy to answer. Don't be nervous, just be yourself! Good luck!

Hi everyone! Has anyone submitted recently? I was wondering how long everyone waited to get their app verified. I applied 10/25 and the Berkeley deadline is 10/26 but I still haven't gotten verified. Anyone know if that would be an issue?

Hi everyone! Has anyone submitted recently? I was wondering how long everyone waited to get their app verified. I applied 10/25 and the Berkeley deadline is 10/26 but I still haven't gotten verified. Anyone know if that would be an issue?
Hi! I want to say it took 2-3 days for verification. To be honest, I would definitely email Berkeley and see, I feel as if they'd be able to give you more of an accurate answer. Although, I do want to say that they do begin to look at your application once it has been verified by OptomCAS.

Hi! I want to say it took 2-3 days for verification. To be honest, I would definitely email Berkeley and see, I feel as if they'd be able to give you more of an accurate answer. Although, I do want to say that they do begin to look at your application once it has been verified by OptomCAS.
Thank you! And congrats on your acceptance!

Hey! It was really laid back in my opinion. When you first start the meeting, two people come up, one is the interviewer and the other is just there to introduce you and goes over the interview process. It was really conversational and comfortable. Be ready to answer basic questions about yourself, why optometry and your experiences in the field. I also a scenario based question, but it was easy to answer. Don't be nervous, just be yourself! Good luck!
Thank you so much! I had it today and they didn’t tell me how long it was going take to get back to me. How long did it take for you? Im so sorry to bother