Class of 2029 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apoptosis09

She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realized we don't have one of these yet, unless the search feature is a liar 😅

Season 5 Friends Tv Show GIF by Friends


Can't believe we're already half way through our first year! Congrats to everyone who survived this far and godspeed for spring semester 💀
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Between still being kinda burnt out and not having all of my scholarship essays finished, I so badly wish I had another week of break 😔

I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
 
Between still being kinda burnt out and not having all of my scholarship essays finished, I so badly wish I had another week of break 😔
Same 🥲 I told myself Id have all my summer ext/internship and scholarship stuff finished by the end of break. Has not happened 💀
I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
That's super cool!!
 
Between still being kinda burnt out and not having all of my scholarship essays finished, I so badly wish I had another week of break 😔

I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
yes yes come hop on the shelter med train 😎

when i was practicing cat neuters, i just used some string and hemostats to practice making the knot. it made doing the real deal so much smoother!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes yes come hop on the shelter med train 😎

when i was practicing cat neuters, i just used some string and hemostats to practice making the knot. it made doing the real deal so much smoother!
I didn't expect to like my time there so much!! I would love to include more shelter med in my rotations,, the spay/neuter skills I'd gain alone would be so worth it

That's exactly what I was doing!! Yarn and hemostats 🤩
 
So far it is going great! I am really enjoying it and I already have what to do during the summer, which was stressing me out a lot tbh
okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
 
okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
Even if you can’t find an actual externship or anything, you likely can still find somewhere to let you shadow. I did like a short lil 2 week shadow thing at a shelter and another 2 weeks shadowing at Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester Hills, MI (it was local to me so not some big expense to travel there for the 2 weeks) and then relaxed and had fun the rest of the summer. You only get so many summers off, use them and have some fun while you can. Obviously if you *can't* financially not do stuff, that’s a different scenario, but definitely make sure to still have fun even if you have to do something or work!!!!!
 
okay but what are yall doing this summer?
Most likely going to take a vet assistant position at an exotics clinic near me! I know they try to hire vet students over the summer, so I'm hoping that means they'll let me do some vet stuff and not strictly assistant things. Maybeeee would apply for a summer externship at the animal shelter, but driving in Detroit traffic 5 days a week isn't exactly convincing 😔

I am def taking the first couple weeks of summer break to chill though! I need to have some fun, but I also need money/hands-on experience 😮‍💨
 
that’s the other thing, i’m having a hard time finding places that will hire me. i’m fine with doing unpaid things but also … i need money especially since i don’t work while in school. i usually work at a dog grooming salon bc ive been working there since high school so they’re super flexible with me, but i’d like to get more veterinary experience 🫠 i’ve reached out to a clinic that does low income care but they said they don’t know if they can pay me. same goes for other shelters around me. not the end of the world if i can’t get paid though. i’ll keep looking around!
 
okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
I'm thinking of doing research this summer through the vet school. If the research thing doesn't work out, I'll see if I can get a job at a nearby clinic or shadow at the teaching hospital.
 
that’s the other thing, i’m having a hard time finding places that will hire me. i’m fine with doing unpaid things but also … i need money especially since i don’t work while in school. i usually work at a dog grooming salon bc ive been working there since high school so they’re super flexible with me, but i’d like to get more veterinary experience 🫠 i’ve reached out to a clinic that does low income care but they said they don’t know if they can pay me. same goes for other shelters around me. not the end of the world if i can’t get paid though. i’ll keep looking around!
I know banfield usually hires a bunch of vet students each summer for their summer job program where you work as an assistant and it’s paid. If you haven’t heard from a rep about that already, I’m sure you will soon.
 
okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both?
i’m going back home to the clinic i worked at before vet school as an assistant bc they paid really well and have already said they’re willing to hire me back for the summer! one thing i like about them is that we work 4 10s, so i get an extra day off during the week to do fun things and can maybe swing longer weekends for mini trips 🙂
 
okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
I’ll be doing research!
 
I'll be doing a RAVS clinic! Other than that, I'll be visiting family back home and shadowing/volunteering at some shelters 🙂 I'm looking into Banfield's SJP but I'm not sure if I would want to do it back home or here in Washington.
 
A lot of companies will host 1st years for paid externships! If you need some leads let me know. I'm planning on pursuing an opportunity with a company that pays very generously (but not sure if travel/rent is covered or not). Another option is to ask around for any opportunities working at the teaching hospital / school farm over the summer, that is great exposure to vet med as well.

I dread the day I have to start neuro.

One step at a time! We just finished up Neuro for first year. It's a lot, but it is fun, especially with real-world applications. You got this!
 
I'll be doing a RAVS clinic! Other than that, I'll be visiting family back home and shadowing/volunteering at some shelters 🙂 I'm looking into Banfield's SJP but I'm not sure if I would want to do it back home or here in Washington.
WAIT I COMPLETELY FORGOT i signed up to do a RAVS clinic too! which one are you doing? i’ll be doing the SD one in July!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completely unrelated note but anyone have recommendations for sources of caffeine that isn't coffee?
I switched to energy drinks because they were cheaper (than purchased coffee) and I could guarantee exactly how much caffeine I'm drinking 😅 (my caffeine intake got a little out of hand last finals season and I'm trying to scale back 💀)

I like redbull and monster because they aren't as much caffeine at 80-110 mg for the 8-12 oz cans respectively. The small Alanis are also only 100mg.

I also have a friend who doesn't like either and just takes caffeine pills on occasions lol
 
Completely unrelated note but anyone have recommendations for sources of caffeine that isn't coffee?
Diet Dr Pepper or the various Dr Pepper Zeros used to be my vice and caffeine of choice. Alani, Bloom Energy, Celsius are the high concentration caffeine I go to when needed but I try to limit them. My local coffee shop uses Lotus energy in their non-coffee drinks. The refreshers from Starbucks have like a coffee extract if that’s your only option.

I started taking a medication 9 weeks ago that has weirdly completely stopped my desire for sodas and most non-water beverages. What a weird side effect. It’s strange after being a lifelong soda addict.
 
Last edited:
Oh sometimes I used to use the crystal light with caffeine (or similar brands) when I wanted to feel more healthy and like I was drinking more water. You can do those squirt bottle flavorings as weak or strong as you want, which is nice as an option.
 
tell me why on my physio exam today i selected that PROLACTIN inhibits lactose production. dumba** it’s literally in the name. sometimes i wonder if im actually cut out for this since i cant seem to use simple deducing skills. also, pharm you’re annoying and so are you equine distal limb. ~there’s beauty in learning~ and i do feel grateful to be here but omg sometimes i want to slam my head against a brick wall

rant over
 
tell me why on my physio exam today i selected that PROLACTIN inhibits lactose production. dumba** it’s literally in the name. sometimes i wonder if im actually cut out for this since i cant seem to use simple deducing skills. also, pharm you’re annoying and so are you equine distal limb. ~there’s beauty in learning~ and i do feel grateful to be here but omg sometimes i want to slam my head against a brick wall

rant over
All of this.. except we don't have pharm til next year, but I concur.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh my god, please never mention this again. What you mean first year is almost over and I'm like 1/4 of a vet? I know nothing. I'M STILL A BABY!!!
BAHAHHAHA yeah i randomly get struck with terror all the time. we talk about case presentations and i sit there like “wow i would run and get the vet right away if i saw that” THEN I REMEMBER UH OH…. IM GONNA BE THE VET