-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Class of 2029 . . . how ya doin?
Started by apoptosis09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Disappointed you did not continue the trend of starting with this
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Fixed 😂Disappointed you did not continue the trend of starting with this
![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
spring semester is actually scaring me bad they’re really cranking up the heat 😭 they said yall got one semester under your belt u can handle it
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Oof. Ours starts this Monday and the schedule looking ahead is rough 🥲spring semester is actually scaring me bad they’re really cranking up the heat 😭 they said yall got one semester under your belt u can handle it
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Which reminds me our school gave us this past week free to do a bit of shadowing for different career paths. I went to shadow equine surgery at a big referral hospital in KY and it was super cool!Oof. Ours starts this Monday and the schedule looking ahead is rough 🥲
Between still being kinda burnt out and not having all of my scholarship essays finished, I so badly wish I had another week of break 😔
I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Same 🥲 I told myself Id have all my summer ext/internship and scholarship stuff finished by the end of break. Has not happened 💀Between still being kinda burnt out and not having all of my scholarship essays finished, I so badly wish I had another week of break 😔
That's super cool!!I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
It's a marathon not a sprint
Damn we started back 2 weeks agoOof. Ours starts this Monday and the schedule looking ahead is rough 🥲
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
The other class years started last week, first years are just lucky 😅It's a marathon not a sprint
Damn we started back 2 weeks ago
How much Christmas break do you get?
3 weeks 🙁The other class years started last week, first years are just lucky 😅
How much Christmas break do you get?
You guys all got this!!!! If they let me pass vet school (and NAVLE) you guys can too!!!!! Second semester is definitely rougher than first but you guys are all smart cookies and can do it!!!!!!!!
yes yes come hop on the shelter med train 😎Between still being kinda burnt out and not having all of my scholarship essays finished, I so badly wish I had another week of break 😔
I am very very grateful for tOSU giving us an extra week. I did my shadowing at an animal shelter and had so much fun!! The vet was so nice and set up a mock cat neuter for me to practice on and I felt like I could have 1000% neutered a real cat by the end of it!
when i was practicing cat neuters, i just used some string and hemostats to practice making the knot. it made doing the real deal so much smoother!
TukusTeten
PennVet ‘29
So far it is going great! I am really enjoying it and I already have what to do during the summer, which was stressing me out a lot tbh
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't expect to like my time there so much!! I would love to include more shelter med in my rotations,, the spay/neuter skills I'd gain alone would be so worth ityes yes come hop on the shelter med train 😎
when i was practicing cat neuters, i just used some string and hemostats to practice making the knot. it made doing the real deal so much smoother!
That's exactly what I was doing!! Yarn and hemostats 🤩
okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭So far it is going great! I am really enjoying it and I already have what to do during the summer, which was stressing me out a lot tbh
Even if you can’t find an actual externship or anything, you likely can still find somewhere to let you shadow. I did like a short lil 2 week shadow thing at a shelter and another 2 weeks shadowing at Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester Hills, MI (it was local to me so not some big expense to travel there for the 2 weeks) and then relaxed and had fun the rest of the summer. You only get so many summers off, use them and have some fun while you can. Obviously if you *can't* financially not do stuff, that’s a different scenario, but definitely make sure to still have fun even if you have to do something or work!!!!!okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
Most likely going to take a vet assistant position at an exotics clinic near me! I know they try to hire vet students over the summer, so I'm hoping that means they'll let me do some vet stuff and not strictly assistant things. Maybeeee would apply for a summer externship at the animal shelter, but driving in Detroit traffic 5 days a week isn't exactly convincing 😔okay but what are yall doing this summer?
I am def taking the first couple weeks of summer break to chill though! I need to have some fun, but I also need money/hands-on experience 😮💨
that’s the other thing, i’m having a hard time finding places that will hire me. i’m fine with doing unpaid things but also … i need money especially since i don’t work while in school. i usually work at a dog grooming salon bc ive been working there since high school so they’re super flexible with me, but i’d like to get more veterinary experience 🫠 i’ve reached out to a clinic that does low income care but they said they don’t know if they can pay me. same goes for other shelters around me. not the end of the world if i can’t get paid though. i’ll keep looking around!
CeeGee14
U.C Davis c/o 2029
I'm thinking of doing research this summer through the vet school. If the research thing doesn't work out, I'll see if I can get a job at a nearby clinic or shadow at the teaching hospital.okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
I know banfield usually hires a bunch of vet students each summer for their summer job program where you work as an assistant and it’s paid. If you haven’t heard from a rep about that already, I’m sure you will soon.that’s the other thing, i’m having a hard time finding places that will hire me. i’m fine with doing unpaid things but also … i need money especially since i don’t work while in school. i usually work at a dog grooming salon bc ive been working there since high school so they’re super flexible with me, but i’d like to get more veterinary experience 🫠 i’ve reached out to a clinic that does low income care but they said they don’t know if they can pay me. same goes for other shelters around me. not the end of the world if i can’t get paid though. i’ll keep looking around!
mw1356
tOSU CVM c/o 2029
i’m going back home to the clinic i worked at before vet school as an assistant bc they paid really well and have already said they’re willing to hire me back for the summer! one thing i like about them is that we work 4 10s, so i get an extra day off during the week to do fun things and can maybe swing longer weekends for mini trips 🙂okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both?
TukusTeten
PennVet ‘29
I’ll be doing research!okay but what are yall doing this summer? i’m getting mixed opinions from vets lol some say i need to get experience some say i should chill and have fun?? maybe do both? i’m already planning a trip out West to do some backpacking in national parks. but veterinary wise i’m not sure what to do. externships are hard to find if you’re not a 4th year 😭
gobears2022
WSU c/o 2029
I'll be doing a RAVS clinic! Other than that, I'll be visiting family back home and shadowing/volunteering at some shelters 🙂 I'm looking into Banfield's SJP but I'm not sure if I would want to do it back home or here in Washington.
megadorkie
Full Member
A lot of companies will host 1st years for paid externships! If you need some leads let me know. I'm planning on pursuing an opportunity with a company that pays very generously (but not sure if travel/rent is covered or not). Another option is to ask around for any opportunities working at the teaching hospital / school farm over the summer, that is great exposure to vet med as well.
One step at a time! We just finished up Neuro for first year. It's a lot, but it is fun, especially with real-world applications. You got this!
I dread the day I have to start neuro.
One step at a time! We just finished up Neuro for first year. It's a lot, but it is fun, especially with real-world applications. You got this!
WAIT I COMPLETELY FORGOT i signed up to do a RAVS clinic too! which one are you doing? i’ll be doing the SD one in July!I'll be doing a RAVS clinic! Other than that, I'll be visiting family back home and shadowing/volunteering at some shelters 🙂 I'm looking into Banfield's SJP but I'm not sure if I would want to do it back home or here in Washington.
gobears2022
WSU c/o 2029
I'm doing the WA one in May! It's one of the 1 week ones 🙂WAIT I COMPLETELY FORGOT i signed up to do a RAVS clinic too! which one are you doing? i’ll be doing the SD one in July!
juggling-zebra0831
WSU CVM c/o 2029
So glad this thread was created lol starting 2nd semester has been rough but we got this lol. Also very much still trying to figure out what to do this summer hahaha.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
Mood lmao
i’m tired
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
The finals crunch is hitting me hard 🥲i’m tired
Six more exams,, I can get though six more exams 🥲
our comprehensive exam is scaring me though ahhhh
our comprehensive exam is scaring me though ahhhh
apoptosis09
She/her • tOSU CVM c/o 2029
I switched to energy drinks because they were cheaper (than purchased coffee) and I could guarantee exactly how much caffeine I'm drinking 😅 (my caffeine intake got a little out of hand last finals season and I'm trying to scale back 💀)Completely unrelated note but anyone have recommendations for sources of caffeine that isn't coffee?
I like redbull and monster because they aren't as much caffeine at 80-110 mg for the 8-12 oz cans respectively. The small Alanis are also only 100mg.
I also have a friend who doesn't like either and just takes caffeine pills on occasions lol
Diet Dr Pepper or the various Dr Pepper Zeros used to be my vice and caffeine of choice. Alani, Bloom Energy, Celsius are the high concentration caffeine I go to when needed but I try to limit them. My local coffee shop uses Lotus energy in their non-coffee drinks. The refreshers from Starbucks have like a coffee extract if that’s your only option.Completely unrelated note but anyone have recommendations for sources of caffeine that isn't coffee?
I started taking a medication 9 weeks ago that has weirdly completely stopped my desire for sodas and most non-water beverages. What a weird side effect. It’s strange after being a lifelong soda addict.
Last edited:
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I drink a lot of tea because my stomach can't handle coffee all that well. I have an electric kettle in my office and go through a lot of Earl Grey.Completely unrelated note but anyone have recommendations for sources of caffeine that isn't coffee?
Oh sometimes I used to use the crystal light with caffeine (or similar brands) when I wanted to feel more healthy and like I was drinking more water. You can do those squirt bottle flavorings as weak or strong as you want, which is nice as an option.
Yerba mate!Completely unrelated note but anyone have recommendations for sources of caffeine that isn't coffee?
tell me why on my physio exam today i selected that PROLACTIN inhibits lactose production. dumba** it’s literally in the name. sometimes i wonder if im actually cut out for this since i cant seem to use simple deducing skills. also, pharm you’re annoying and so are you equine distal limb. ~there’s beauty in learning~ and i do feel grateful to be here but omg sometimes i want to slam my head against a brick wall
rant over
rant over
All of this.. except we don't have pharm til next year, but I concur.tell me why on my physio exam today i selected that PROLACTIN inhibits lactose production. dumba** it’s literally in the name. sometimes i wonder if im actually cut out for this since i cant seem to use simple deducing skills. also, pharm you’re annoying and so are you equine distal limb. ~there’s beauty in learning~ and i do feel grateful to be here but omg sometimes i want to slam my head against a brick wall
rant over
gobears2022
WSU c/o 2029
Also so tired. Horses still scare me. Idk if I'll ever get over that lol.
juggling-zebra0831
WSU CVM c/o 2029
Honestly at this point I'm just vibing through the chaos that is my life hahaha but this semester has me tired for sure...stay strong ya'll! We got this!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At this point just rolling with the chaos and embracing the mysteries of ruminants……..
Being involved in things I love has kept me sane!
it’s been the fastest year of my life but also the days feel so long and exhaustingok but guys!!!!!! we are like basically 25% done!!! how tf did that happen????
CeeGee14
U.C Davis c/o 2029
Oh my god, please never mention this again. What you mean first year is almost over and I'm like 1/4 of a vet? I know nothing. I'M STILL A BABY!!!ok but guys!!!!!! we are like basically 25% done!!! how tf did that happen????
BAHAHHAHA yeah i randomly get struck with terror all the time. we talk about case presentations and i sit there like “wow i would run and get the vet right away if i saw that” THEN I REMEMBER UH OH…. IM GONNA BE THE VETOh my god, please never mention this again. What you mean first year is almost over and I'm like 1/4 of a vet? I know nothing. I'M STILL A BABY!!!