Classifying extracurricular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryovials

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to figure out my hours, and where I need to improve my resume for applications. I worked in a Nurse Case Management office for about 6 months and wondered if this would count as paid clinical experience. I helped with all the clients and had direct contact with them, and was able to attend actual appointments with the Case Manager and the client throughout my time there. Since I had direct patient contact in a medical setting would this count as clinical experience? Also in terms of overall resume/ECs how many hours of research, clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, and paid clinical experience? Is there a category I am missing that would help me look more well-rounded?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked in a Nurse Case Management office for about 6 months and wondered if this would count as paid clinical experience. I helped with all the clients and had direct contact with them, and was able to attend actual appointments with the Case Manager and the client throughout my time there. Since I had direct patient contact in a medical setting would this count as clinical experience?
What was the job description and how were you "helping?" How many hours did you spend in the presence of patients each week? How many hours on the phone? What did the rest of your duties consist of?

Reactions: 1 user
What was the job description and how were you "helping?" How many hours did you spend in the presence of patients each week? How many hours on the phone? What did the rest of your duties consist of?
Job Description was:
Coordinating Patient Care: liaising with doctors and nurses, patient transfer officers, and community care providers to match identified patient needs to the professionals who can meet them.
Maintain Patient Files: input details of patients’ medical and treatment status into digital spreadsheets and databases.
Consult with Patient Files: interact with patients and their families to keep them aware of the patient’s treatment status and next steps, any choices that need to be made, and pertinent financial concerns. This may entail making sure out-of-hospital clients attend necessary appointments and becoming familiar with the unique priorities and values of clients and their loved ones.
Assisted with any other office needs, as the office was also a life care planning office, I helped with tasks with them, but it was not a big part of my role.
On average, on a weekly bases I would say my time was 50/50. 50% on the phones with patients, doctors, insurance companies, etc, setting up appointments, and organizing things for the week, and the other 50% was actually going with the Case Manager to the appointments.

Job Description was:
Coordinating Patient Care: liaising with doctors and nurses, patient transfer officers, and community care providers to match identified patient needs to the professionals who can meet them.
Maintain Patient Files: input details of patients’ medical and treatment status into digital spreadsheets and databases.
Consult with Patient Files: interact with patients and their families to keep them aware of the patient’s treatment status and next steps, any choices that need to be made, and pertinent financial concerns. This may entail making sure out-of-hospital clients attend necessary appointments and becoming familiar with the unique priorities and values of clients and their loved ones.
Assisted with any other office needs, as the office was also a life care planning office, I helped with tasks with them, but it was not a big part of my role.
On average, on a weekly bases I would say my time was 50/50. 50% on the phones with patients, doctors, insurance companies, etc, setting up appointments, and organizing things for the week, and the other 50% was actually going with the Case Manager to the appointments.
Since I'd edge patient phone contacts into the "clinical" category, and you already spend 50% of your paid time in the presence of patients going to their doctors' appointments, IMO you can tag this experience as Employment-Clinical.