Clinical Experience vs. Undergrad Minor (please help!!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deafening_silence

Reaction score
Sooo I'm kind of in a dilemma. I'm currently doing a public health minor & I've got a couple of classes left to take for that but I kind of declared it late (junior year) & I'm trying to finish that along with my major classes. It's totally possible but I'm gonna have to take 19 credits for 2 sems each in order to graduate on time which is not an issue for me. BUT I'm also applying for scribe jobs & I've interviewed at all of them and the only issue is my availability bc of my full class schedule, which interferes with even part time jobs. I was told if my schedule opens up they'll take me on but the only way for that to happen is if I stop taking my minor classes and distribute my remaining classes evenly between both sems. How would that look on med school apps? I'm thinking I should discontinue them and focus on clinical hours instead but I wanna get insight from you lovely people on here!! 🥲

Members don't see this ad.

You know it is possible to do everything you want to do if you take a gap year. Finish the minor, do what makes you happy, do your scribing. Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 users
You know it is possible to do everything you want to do if you take a gap year. Finish the minor, do what makes you happy, do your scribing. Just a thought.
100% agree.

Rushing to apply is highly overrated.

Use your time as an undergraduate to do everything you want to do. If this leaves you low on clinical hours, then take a gap year or two and work.

There are so many premeds that just rush through their undergraduate years, only focusing on making the best application they can. They don't enjoy those years and then miss out on some great years. You'll never have the kind of opportunity to take different classes and explore different interests like you do as an undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
100% agree.

Rushing to apply is highly overrated.

Use your time as an undergraduate to do everything you want to do. If this leaves you low on clinical hours, then take a gap year or two and work.

There are so many premeds that just rush through their undergraduate years, only focusing on making the best application they can. They don't enjoy those years and then miss out on some great years. You'll never have the kind of opportunity to take different classes and explore different interests like you do as an undergrad.
I had SO MUCH ****ing fun in my two gap years.