Co 22’ application season thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making this for all my radiology app peeps.

@Ho0v-man, @Neopolymath and @NecrotizingFasciitis would love to have some advice/info from you all.

@calivianya you were the only one on the thread for Co 22 that said you were interested in radiology, but if there is anyone else you know of, tag em.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
To get the thread started, anything you guys wish you knew before app season?

Also, did you guys just use residency explorer to figure out which programs you were competitive for/reach? I have been looking at Freida by %DO which has narrowed my list down some.

Is Residency Explorer and Freida accurate? I recall somewhere on this forum people were saying they were not too reliable, albeit for other specialties, not rads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Residency Explorer and Freida accurate? I recall somewhere on this forum people were saying they were not too reliable, albeit for other specialties, not rads.
I wonder about that too. Do they get their info direct from the source or is it just self-reported? I tried using Texas Star, but I feel like the info wasn’t super accurate either. Kinda hard to really know where my range of “competitive” is for programs that only take a few DOs.

Also, did you guys just use residency explorer to figure out which programs you were competitive for/reach? I have been looking at Freida by %DO which has narrowed my list down some.
I'm trying to find some time to write stuff up regarding all the stupid things you need to know about intern years to make the best decisions for your goals when applying to them. Hopefully I can get this done sooner than later.

Random quick points:
1. Send LOIs early (people were definitely lying to each other about when to send them this year)
2. Don't send many LOIs. They should be genuine.
3. Lighting is way more important than camera quality. A good camera is important but 1080p is fine.
3. Test your setup, especially your mic and audio for various times of the day depending on your living situation. Using a good mic is important but it can be a $20 Lavoisier mic not some expensive blue yeti streamer BS. Get a friend to tell you if there is echo from your speakers etc.
4. Don't put a bunch of dumb stuff in your background. The interviewer should be focused on you and feel as close to possible as sitting in the room with you. That means no distracting stuff. A detail or some shelves isn't a big deal but don't be a dweeb with a twitter logo painting on the wall or 6 guitars. (personal opinion and controversial).
5. Go ahead and accept that appearance/polished setup and ability to function in this virtual environment makes a subconscious difference. It might not be fair financially and might seem silly but just understand that's the deal and you should suck it up and compete. Wear a suit, wear pants, look half decent at meet and greets...

Reactions: 2 users
wearing pants makes a psychological difference even though they might never see it.

I agree with everything Neopolymath said above.

I’d also like to say, who cares what Freida or anything else says about if a program takes DOs. If you want to go there, just apply. I didn’t apply to a program because I didn’t think a lowly osteopathic magician such as myself would get an interview and they took a DO this cycle!

I will say I wish I had applied more broadly to the region of my school. My school is in the Midwest and I got an interview at almost every Midwest program I applied. I’m not from the Midwest and applied to every program in my home state and got ghosted for the most part. And my in state home town is on ERAS.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm trying to find some time to write stuff up regarding all the stupid things you need to know about intern years to make the best decisions for your goals when applying to them. Hopefully I can get this done sooner than later.

Random quick points:
1. Send LOIs early (people were definitely lying to each other about when to send them this year)
2. Don't send many LOIs. They should be genuine.
3. Lighting is way more important than camera quality. A good camera is important but 1080p is fine.
3. Test your setup, especially your mic and audio for various times of the day depending on your living situation. Using a good mic is important but it can be a $20 Lavoisier mic not some expensive blue yeti streamer BS. Get a friend to tell you if there is echo from your speakers etc.
4. Don't put a bunch of dumb stuff in your background. The interviewer should be focused on you and feel as close to possible as sitting in the room with you. That means no distracting stuff. A detail or some shelves isn't a big deal but don't be a dweeb with a twitter logo painting on the wall or 6 guitars. (personal opinion and controversial).
5. Go ahead and accept that appearance/polished setup and ability to function in this virtual environment makes a subconscious difference. It might not be fair financially and might seem silly but just understand that's the deal and you should suck it up and compete. Wear a suit, wear pants, look half decent at meet and greets...
How early are you thinking for LOIs? And do they go to program directors?

How many transitional years/prelims did you guys apply to?

And did you these programs had a regional preference for where your school was located as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
During my core IM rotation I had a chief resident who was functioning as the attending on service for two weeks and I got a great LOR from him - how would this be seen by PDs given that he is a chief?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
During my core IM rotation I had a chief bunny who was functioning as the rabbit on service for two weeks and I got a great LOR from him - how would this be seen by PDs given that he is a chief?
Loving the April fools changes, but also want to hear the answer to this question.

How are you all setting up your 4th year? Other than taking a few electives/aways in radiology, not sure what else I should do / what is expected of me

I’m doing a Neuro rotation to learn more about strokes, cardiology to learn more about general care and arrhythmia management, and I’m doing an anesthesia rotation for airway management. Probably gonna try for a ICU rotation too. Want to be semi ready for intern year. Otherwise, doing rad rotations for letters and chill rotations.

Has anyone had any luck setting up fourth-year rotations in radiology yet? I have one pending in Clinician Nexus that took apps early, but no idea when I’m going to hear back.

I have classmates with a bunch of rotations already set up outside of VSAS/Clinican Nexus, and I haven’t figured out if there’s a shortcut for finding those programs besides just manually taking the list of all DR/IR programs and looking at every program’s website to see how they handle visiting students.

Has anyone had any luck setting up fourth-year rotations in radiology yet? I have one pending in Clinician Nexus that took apps early, but no idea when I’m going to hear back.

I have classmates with a bunch of rotations already set up outside of VSAS/Clinican Nexus, and I haven’t figured out if there’s a shortcut for finding those programs besides just manually taking the list of all DR/IR programs and looking at every program’s website to see how they handle visiting students.
I’m not doing any away rotations for radiology. I was advised to not do one unless it was specifically IR at a reach program, and I’m not gonna go after IR. I just set up locally so I can get letters of rec.

I’m not doing any away rotations for radiology. I was advised to not do one unless it was specifically IR at a reach program, and I’m not gonna go after IR. I just set up locally so I can get letters of rec.
Does your school schedule a radiology rotation as a core? How do you plan on obtaining a radiology LOR if not? My school doesn’t offer one and we don’t have a Rad department so I thought I was going to have to find an elective for a letter

Does your school schedule a radiology rotation as a core? How do you plan on obtaining a radiology LOR if not? My school doesn’t offer one and we don’t have a Rad department so I thought I was going to have to find an elective for a letter
Same here.

Plus one of my school’s requirements is “no more than 12 weeks at any one hospital” because we don’t have a core site for fourth year and they don’t want us hogging the third year sites, so I’m going to have to be at a million different hospitals anyway. A lot of hospitals say on VSAS that they are limiting people to no more than four weeks at their hospital... joke’s on them if they’re trying to stop the spread of COVID that way, since not having a home hospital means I have to travel more if they limit me to four weeks, not less.

My school does not. Honestly, I just hustled and called local radiology groups/ showed up to the reading rooms at the hospitals I’ve rotated. Most of the docs were cool enough to at least hear me out and I was able to secure a 2 week rotation early third year, and two 2 week rotations for 4th year. I’m still working on an IR rotation at the biggest hospital in my state, but I’m going to leverage my contacts I make during local rads rotations for that.

You could also look for the physician leaders of state radiology societies (AUR, ACR, etc) and send an email (I found his email in the ACR state directory) explaining your situation and asking if they know anyone that might be willing to take on a student interested in radiology as a career. I did that for one of mine. The doc told me that they stopped taking students since they treated it like a vacation but he would see if his partners would allow exceptions for those who were genuinely interested in medicine.

This is also how I ended up doing research in IR. Sent out friendly emails until one stuck, then I worked that contact which lead me to another contact who brought me into the fold on research at a top 20 radiology program, top 20 medical school while I’m at a ****ty little DO program.

Last edited:
How many transitional years/prelims did you guys apply to?

And did you these programs had a regional preference for where your school was located as well?
I can say I didn’t apply to nearly enough. I think I sent out 20+ and wound up with ~5 (incl two that were guarantees due to interviewing with advanced rads program at same hospital).

My advice:
- if you’re in a competitive/desirable area (NY, DC, etc) apply more broadly (Even if you have great stats, 20 should be the minimum). You will be competing with studs form derm and ophtho (in addition to rads, gas, pmr, and rad one). Cast a wide net.
- apply to HCA progs and undesirable areas. Also if you get an interview at an advanced program (and there’s a local TY/IM prelim) call that program and express your interest, and let them know about the advanced IV. It can help.
- depends on your stats, but generally you want to shoot for around 10 prelim invites. I had way less and felt very nervous as my top choices were not categorical programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
During my core IM rotation I had a chief resident who was functioning as the attending on service for two weeks and I got a great LOR from him - how would this be seen by PDs given that he is a chief?

PGY1 (almost PGY2 thank god) here - Just a thought but see if your department chair or another attending will co-sign the letter. At face value it looks odd to have a LOR from a resident, even a chief.

PGY1 (almost PGY2 thank god) here - Just a thought but see if your department chair or another attending will co-sign the letter. At face value it looks odd to have a LOR from a resident, even a chief.
I just asked a few days ago and thankfully he said he said he’ll get it co signed from an attending!

DR, IR, Gen Surg and Peds --- is that a fine variety of specialties to have my LORs from?

You just want good letters and not all DR/IR. Mine were DR, 2IM, and FM.

I matched to a top program with letters from a Peds sub I, EM sub I, and DR. You just want good letters. Mine were strong af and got brought up on pretty much all interviews.

Found these very helpful videos catered to us specifically!

I just matched rads this year happy to help out by answering any questions. Good luck!

Also an MS4 who matched diagnostic radiology this cycle and happy to answer any questions on the application process or interviews. Best of luck!

How much do poor 3rd year clinical grades hurt your application assuming decent step scores (>245) and research?

What did you guys do to prep for interviews?
My school had some mock interviews in October, they weren't rads specific or anything but they just ran through some common interview questions. And then the night before every interview I had a word document where I would write down an answer to the question "why our program" and then I also had around 5 questions I wanted to remember to ask for when they asked what questions I had. Some places will send videos with info about the program but if not I just looked stuff up on their website.

Honestly doubt formal interview prep is needed. Half of my interviews barely learned anything about me. Almost no way to show how good you’d fit at the program.

Prelims are another story entirely.

Prelims as in interviews for intern years?
Yeah. They range anywhere from 15 minutes to 6 hours and ask nonsense questions about team work and other BS.

I had one ask me to describe myself as a color.

I had another ask me if I could go back in time and thank a patient for helping me develop into a caring, competent, and compassionate physician, what exactly would I say and why?

One made me wait two hours and then only asked “What questions do you have for me?” And you legitimately couldn’t get it to be conversational at all. He only said that and gave one sentence answers. Didn’t rank.

Reactions: 4 users
What did you guys do to prep for interviews?
The AMSER guide has a few practice questions but essentially, you should know the answers to:
1) Tell me about yourself?
2) Why are you interested in radiology?
3) What interests you about our program?
4) Discussion of your hobbies, research, or other interesting stuff from CV.
5) DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR ME? - This is the most common question you will get in an interview. Have 3-4 questions for the ready for the interviewer. You don't have to have different questions for different interviewers. I asked the same 3-4 to all interviewers in the same program and I don't think it mattered

I agree with the above sentiments. Rads interviews are chill and doesn't really need formal prep. Sometimes, behavioral questions pop up here and there (such as a difficult clinical scenario you encountered and how you handled it?). Preliminary interviews can range from chill to utter crapshow.

How much do poor 3rd year clinical grades hurt your application assuming decent step scores (>245) and research?
How poor are we talking here? I guess it depends if you are an AMG or an IMG.

I have a colleague with mostly Ps in the clinical year and still matched at a mid tier program.

How poor are we talking here? I guess it depends if you are an AMG or an IMG.

I have a colleague with mostly Ps in the clinical year and still matched at a mid tier program.
I'm an AMG - most P with a couple HP/H

What do people think of the Rads standard LOR mentioned in this video? Gonna use or no?
Hell nah. I go to a small DO school and most of my preceptors have only precepted 1-2 students a year. I’m just gonna get regular letters where they talk me up.

Hell nah. I go to a small DO school and most of my preceptors have only precepted 1-2 students a year. I’m just gonna get regular letters where they talk me up.
Strongly agree! I personally try to stay away from standardized letters where there will a forced numerical comparison.

Last edited: