Co 22’ application season thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been able to figure out easily which prelim IM programs are requiring/recommending the supplemental app? I found the below linked page, but it does not indicate which are prelims (vs. categorical IM).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been able to figure out easily which prelim IM programs are requiring/recommending the supplemental app? I found the below linked page, but it does not indicate which are prelims (vs. categorical IM).

I was under the impression that if a program is on the list, both their categorical & prelim require it

How many programs you guys applying to and how are you figuring out which schools to apply to?

~250/~260 Step1/Step2 from low ranked USMD and I have no idea. I figure the ones in my state then just other ones in cities that seem like they would be fun to live in is what I'm thinking. I have no preference for school based on prestige.

Members don't see this ad :)

I still have to figure out this supplemental application. Is anyone else just probably going to apply straight TYs?

Anyone have access to texas star data for radiology and is willing to share a screenshot? Having a tough time finding mid-tier program I should aim for. Thanks

How many programs you guys applying to and how are you figuring out which schools to apply to?

~250/~260 Step1/Step2 from low ranked USMD and I have no idea. I figure the ones in my state then just other ones in cities that seem like they would be fun to live in is what I'm thinking. I have no preference for school based on prestige.
I’m planning 60-80 but I’m a DO with a ~250/~255

Im in the 80 range. I know its probably overkill, but virtual interviews are freaking me out

Reactions: 1 users
When're we expecting the bulk of interviews this season? Wondering if I can get my required subI done in October/first week of Nov.

hey all- just seeing this thread :)

I'm a TY intern going into rads next yr. Luckily I matched at a TY at the same hospital I'll be doing rads at on the west coast.

Lmk if I can help with anything as everyone heads into this cycle.

@Scrubb the bulk of my interviews came in the fall (mid Nov - Dec). I had one during the last week of October and a few during the first weeks of November. I bet you'll be able to get your sub-i in (maybe ask what their policy would be on interviewing during the rotation)?

Not sure if your interviews will be slightly earlier though since eras was pushed back for my class

this is just my opinion, but I think the key to virtual interviews is to bring energy/excitement/legit questions and know what you want to share about yourself in your 10-15 minute window of time on Zoom. Don't just try to survive the interview, be candid but go into it ready to highlight who you are and why you would want to be at that program. If you can establish a real human/human connection with your interviewer (hard over Zoom), nothing else really matters IMO. I used an old macbook air, corded headphones, bland white/yellow wall, no lighting, and > half the time I wore scrub bottoms or shorts with my suit top.

Reactions: 3 users
hey all- just seeing this thread :)

I'm a TY intern going into rads next yr. Luckily I matched at a TY at the same hospital I'll be doing rads at on the west coast.

Lmk if I can help with anything as everyone heads into this cycle.

@Scrubb the bulk of my interviews came in the fall (mid Nov - Dec). I had one during the last week of October and a few during the first weeks of November. I bet you'll be able to get your sub-i in (maybe ask what their policy would be on interviewing during the rotation)?

Not sure if your interviews will be slightly earlier though since eras was pushed back for my class

this is just my opinion, but I think the key to virtual interviews is to bring energy/excitement/legit questions and know what you want to share about yourself in your 10-15 minute window of time on Zoom. Don't just try to survive the interview, be candid but go into it ready to highlight who you are and why you would want to be at that program. If you can establish a real human/human connection with your interviewer (hard over Zoom), nothing else really matters IMO. I used an old macbook air, corded headphones, bland white/yellow wall, no lighting, and > half the time I wore scrub bottoms or shorts with my suit top.
Do you mean your received the bulk of your interviews mid November-dec or you had the bulk of your interviews mid November-dec?

Do you mean your received the bulk of your interviews mid November-dec or you had the bulk of your interviews mid November-dec?

I received the bulk of my interview invitations during 1-2 weeks following the mspe release date to programs (first interview inv received the day after the mspe release date). Some additional interviews trickled in throughout the season, and I know friends who got some more when they reached out to programs after a couple weeks. I had/attended the bulk of my interviews mid Nov - Dec. I had a handful after the new year as well.

I received the bulk of my interview invitations during 1-2 weeks following the mspe release date to programs (first interview inv received the day after the mspe release date). Some additional interviews trickled in throughout the season, and I know friends who got some more when they reached out to programs after a couple weeks. I had/attended the bulk of my interviews mid Nov - Dec. I had a handful after the new year as well.
Hello, I am an applicant primarily interested in matching on the West coast. Any tips for the interview season? Did you send letters of interest and when? There aren't many TY programs on the West coast, any in particular that you would recommend (can PM me if you feel more comfortable). Thank you!!!

Last minute jones out before I submit. Realizing on the NRMP match stats pdf thing that the average number of volunteer positions was like almost 7 for matched people.... Am I in trouble if I only have 1? Like I could probably get to 5 if I were to list meaningless volunteer experiences from college

Members don't see this ad :)
Last minute jones out before I submit. Realizing on the NRMP match stats pdf thing that the average number of volunteer positions was like almost 7 for matched people.... Am I in trouble if I only have 1? Like I could probably get to 5 if I were to list meaningless volunteer experiences from college
Doesn't mean anything. Be articulate in your significant/meaningful experiences no matter what they were (even hobbies). No one cares about volunteering and the absurdity that it represents in this career path.

Doesn't mean anything. Be articulate in your significant/meaningful experiences no matter what they were (even hobbies). No one cares about volunteering and the absurdity that it represents in this career path.

Ok great thank you.

Another last minute question on how I formatted my research experience if you don't mind. I worked with the same mentor on 3 different projects within the same field. Is it appropriate to list this as 1 research experience, then in the description write the titles of the 3 projects and a quick 1-2 sentence description about each? Or should I list all 3 as separate experiences?

I went with the first originally, but curious as to what your thought is

Ok great thank you.

Another last minute question on how I formatted my research experience if you don't mind. I worked with the same mentor on 3 different projects within the same field. Is it appropriate to list this as 1 research experience, then in the description write the titles of the 3 projects and a quick 1-2 sentence description about each? Or should I list all 3 as separate experiences?

I went with the first originally, but curious as to what your thought is
I really don't think it matters. Someone with a ton of research should probably group projects to help the reader out but I feel it's also logical to list them separately if they are not projects that built on each other. Separate experiences probably deserve separate listings.

I am not a research aficionado though. There are more qualified opinions on SDN than mine, frankly.

I had zero in undergrad and zero in med school. This just means you wasted less time and/or are cooler than the average applicant.

Best of luck to all my radiology peeps and future colleagues applying this cycle!! Make sure to turn in your application by today since ERAS will likely crash tomorrow morning. Interviews are mad chill for the most part.

Reactions: 5 users
Best of luck to all my radiology peeps and future colleagues applying this cycle!! Make sure to turn in your application by today since ERAS will likely crash tomorrow morning. Interviews are mad chill for the most part.
Man, I sure hope so. I’m dreading those prelim interviews and their behavioral questions though.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm working on assigning my LORs and personal statements to programs right now. Should be done by this afternoon.

Best of luck to my rads peers! How exciting for all of us.

Has anyone heard of any programs that are planning to do in person interviews and/or second looks in person? Are most of you applying to around 50ish programs?

Has anyone heard of any programs that are planning to do in person interviews and/or second looks in person? Are most of you applying to around 50ish programs?
1) Not that I'm aware of. National societies advised doing virtual only.

2) Applying to ~70 rads. I'm a DO though.

A lot of virtual open houses this fall exclusively talked about only doing virtual interviews. I cannot say with 100% guarantee, but it seems like the majority are only doing virtual interviews. Some programs outright said they could NOT do second looks in person because their hospital system denied any outside guests touring hospitals due to pandemic regulations.

I personally applied to ~45 programs. MD applicant with average radiology stats.

I would love to know how many programs the average applicant applied to. Sometimes I worry that I did not apply to enough, it's tough to know what is the "normal" amount in order to match.

ERAS went out this morning, good luck my radiology dudes/dudettes!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys DO here. My Step1 was 241, and I just got my Step2 score today which was a 218. I am crushed. I applied to 100 programs yesterday and submitted everything. No other red flags. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey guys DO here. My Step1 was 241, and I just got my Step2 score today which was a 218. I am crushed. I applied to 100 programs yesterday and submitted everything. No other red flags. Any advice would be appreciated.
because you received your step 2 score today, you do not have to release it to the schools until feb, correct?

How do i know if step2 is released. I had released my usmle transcripts at around 2 pm today, about 3 hours after my step2 was released...so will it automatically release step2 also?

How do i know if step2 is released. I had released my usmle transcripts at around 2 pm today, about 3 hours after my step2 was released...so will it automatically release step2 also?
It likely will, if you click usmle transcripts you can actually see which exams were released. You should have released before getting your step2 score and then you could choose to update only if the score was better. Unfortunately nothing you can do now

anybody have any tips on some questions to ask the faculty during our interviews?
Ask opinion based questions over factual questions.

Last year, I asked:
(1) What differentiates a good from a great resident at your program? (most PDs thought this was a very good question)
(2) How do I best utilize my preliminary year?
(3) I am interested in XYZ research/outreach/global health project and I saw from your website that Drs. A, B, and C have done similar work? Do you think my project idea is feasible or Drs. A, B, and C will be willing to mentor me in my project?

Certain factual questions PDs may know more than chiefs or other residents (if no info on website):
(1) How much conference funding/days do residents get per year?

• Care
Is mentioning IR interest when you're only applying DR (but undecided of ESIR) a bad move or of no significance?

Are letters of interest a good idea? It seems like most programs are getting flooded with applications, so would it be a good idea to maybe reach out to your top 5 or so programs with a brief email? If so, when might be the best time to let them know you're interested?

Are letters of interest a good idea? It seems like most programs are getting flooded with applications, so would it be a good idea to maybe reach out to your top 5 or so programs with a brief email? If so, when might be the best time to let them know you're interested?
I personally have heard to wait at the minimum a month. Reaching out now would probably be seen as annoying if I was a PD

I got some good interviews from this. It’s helpful if you’re competitive/too competitive and just might be getting looked over for whatever reason.

Mine was like:

“My name is X. Step 1 XXX, step 2 XXX. I applied to your program because…”

My med school was in the Midwest but my programs of interest were in the NE. So a lot of programs just weeded me out due to geography and probably thinking I was just applying broadly. I put the step scores up front because that saves them from having to pull up your file only to find out that they screened you out based on numbers. I think when you don’t include the scores, they often assume that’s why you didn’t get the invite and don’t bother pulling up your app tbh.

I personally have heard to wait at the minimum a month. Reaching out now would probably be seen as annoying if I was a PD
Personally, if I could do it again, I would have reached out to programs sooner. Maybe check the spreadsheet to see when your interested programs send out invites. If you’re not in the first wave of invites, reach out to programs you’re serious about. You want to be in the second wave of invites. N=1, but I recall very little WL movement last year after the second round of invites.

I got some good interviews from this. It’s helpful if you’re competitive/too competitive and just might be getting looked over for whatever reason.

Mine was like:

“My name is X. Step 1 XXX, step 2 XXX. I applied to your program because…”

My med school was in the Midwest but my programs of interest were in the NE. So a lot of programs just weeded me out due to geography and probably thinking I was just applying broadly. I put the step scores up front because that saves them from having to pull up your file only to find out that they screened you out based on numbers. I think when you don’t include the scores, they often assume that’s why you didn’t get the invite and don’t bother pulling up your app tbh.

Personally, if I could do it again, I would have reached out to programs sooner. Maybe check the spreadsheet to see when your interested programs send out invites. If you’re not in the first wave of invites, reach out to programs you’re serious about. You want to be in the second wave of invites. N=1, but I recall very little WL movement last year after the second round of invites.
How many weeks after apps went live did you send emails?

When I reached out after the first wave on the spreadsheet, I was more successful. When I reached out after that, if I heard anything at all, it was either a rejection or a notice telling me I was on a waitlist that I never got off of. There’s no generic right time that applies to every program.

When I reached out after the first wave on the spreadsheet, I was more successful. When I reached out after that, if I heard anything at all, it was either a rejection or a notice telling me I was on a waitlist that I never got off of. There’s no generic right time that applies to every program.
Good to know, thank you!

Are any of you getting much interest from non-local programs? I randomly got two invites to programs I have zero ties to (nor have I ever even been in their respective states), but the rest of mine are all pretty local. Wondering if programs are largely skipping candidates without geographical ties due to thinking we're just mass-applying?

Are any of you getting much interest from non-local programs? I randomly got two invites to programs I have zero ties to (nor have I ever even been in their respective states), but the rest of mine are all pretty local. Wondering if programs are largely skipping candidates without geographical ties due to thinking we're just mass-applying?
I've gotten 2 from midwest academic programs that I have zero ties to (I'm west coast) and I've gotten 2 from western academic programs. Surprisingly I've gotten zero love from community programs, I dunno if they just haven't sent out all of their invites or what. I'm scared that programs will largely interview applicants from their geographic area just because that's an easy way to filter people. From what I can gather, most programs are getting 10-20% more applications this year compared to last. I'm also getting the vibe that rads is going to be pretty competitive this year, which could mean a rough interview season for everyone who isnt a top applicant.

Most of my invites are from different regions in the nation. I'm shocked by the lack of midwest invites despite it being my home region.

Rads garnering more and more attention in the past 2 years.
FBv8nF5XMAE_iaj

When is it OK to start panicking? I've gotten 2 community program invites, 0 academic program invites, and 1 TY invite...

For reference, I applied to 90 rads programs, 30 TY programs, and 20 prelim IM. Stats are top 20 MD school, bottom quartile, Step 1 and 2 in 240s.

When is it OK to start panicking? I've gotten 2 community program invites, 0 academic program invites, and 1 TY invite...

For reference, I applied to 90 rads programs, 30 TY programs, and 20 prelim IM. Stats are top 20 MD school, bottom quartile, Step 1 and 2 in 240s.

Did you apply to certain geographical areas? I feel like the Midwest has sent out a lot of IIs but the coasts are a lot quieter. 90% of my invites are from Midwest programs right now