MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Given how many apps they have to look through, I seriously doubt they go out of their way to see what the grading criteria are.
I thought there was some sort of comparison in the MSPE, so they wouldn’t necessarily have to look at grading scales to figure out how the student did. If out of a class of 100, 5 failed, 85 passed, and 10 got honors, they’d know the grading‘s a little different from somewhere that out of 100, 5 failed, 45 passed, 25 high passed, and 25 got honors.

Or am I wrong about the MSPE having this kind of information?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought there was some sort of comparison in the MSPE, so they wouldn’t necessarily have to look at grading scales to figure out how the student did. If out of a class of 100, 5 failed, 85 passed, and 10 got honors, they’d know the grading‘s a little different from somewhere that out of 100, 5 failed, 45 passed, 25 high passed, and 25 got honors.

I’m not sure what’s on it. All I know is my school doesn’t rank and doesn’t put any sort of ranking data on the mspe.

MSPE is losing it's usefulness because they are so varied. Let's say your letter has all that stuff on it (many do), that still doesn't mean anyone is gonna actually read that document. Mine was quite informative but some of the useful information was not near other pertinent data. No one is going to hunt around the letter for something when they have 1000s of apps to sort.

It's like in premed forums when people think because they had a "hard" major that the adcom will take that into consideration when reviewing gpa. It's just not really true. They just use the MSPE to get a vibe because clinical grading is so varied and so is the MSPE. It's not meant to be discouraging but when you are done with this process you will realize how just plain absurd it is and how much of it is about luck more than anything. That's really hard for med students to accept given their programming and culture. Honestly, after the match, it really became funny because of how stupid it is.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSPE is losing it's usefulness because they are so varied. Let's say your letter has all that stuff on it (many do), that still doesn't mean anyone is gonna actually read that document. Mine was quite informative but some of the useful information was not near other pertinent data. No one is going to hunt around the letter for something when they have 1000s of apps to sort.

It's like in premed forums when people think because they had a "hard" major that the adcom will take that into consideration when reviewing gpa. It's just not really true. They just use the MSPE to get a vibe because clinical grading is so varied and so is the MSPE. It's not meant to be discouraging but when you are done with this process you will realize how just plain absurd it is and how much of it is about luck more than anything. That's really hard for med students to accept given their programming and culture. Honestly, after the match, it really became funny because of how stupid it is.
So basically, the one thing that should have relatively objective data on it is being ignored a lot of the time. That sucks.

If I'm applying IM but mostly interested in a CCM fellowship after should I talk about critical care or mostly focus on why IM in my PS?

If I'm applying IM but mostly interested in a CCM fellowship after should I talk about critical care or mostly focus on why IM in my PS?
You're applying IM not for fellowship. IMO I think there are more important things to address in your PS.

Reactions: 4 users
I used this and it worked out great:

It worked, thanks!

Is it supposed to look all distorted in the little button on myERAS? It looks fine when I click on it but weird in the little circle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It worked, thanks!

Is it supposed to look all distorted in the little button on myERAS? It looks fine when I click on it but weird in the little circle.
Yeah, mine looks distorted on ERAS, but when I open it, it's fine. Other people have reported it being distorted as well.

I agree with @DrStephenStrange unless you have strong ties to the specialty.

I personally can’t answer “why medicine” without talking about critical care, so it’s going in my IM personal statement (backup) as well as my first choice specialty personal statement. Even talked about critical care in every single one of my med school interviews and med school personal statements, and it worked out fine then. But I‘d say this is a gamble if it’s something you just got interested in as a student.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever is reported on your transcript and dean's letter at the time your school uploads.
Hm, ok. I'll have to pay attention to my Dean's letter then. I'm starting a sub-I this month that I want to make sure shows up on there because I wasn't able to get an earlier one.

Hm, ok. I'll have to pay attention to my Dean's letter then. I'm starting a sub-I this month that I want to make sure shows up on there because I wasn't able to get an earlier one.
Ask a previous graduate what happened last year for them. I would be shocked if an August rotation wasn't on there.

We absolutely read every MSPE and extract all information. We also split the students by school, so it's easier (read all of the students from one school together).

N=1

Reactions: 8 users
Would appreciate the opinion of anyone on the PD/interview committee side, or any fourth year who’s tried this if you’re generous enough to be following along. :)

For prelims, I’m thinking about applying to a bunch of TYs on day 1, and then trickling in some med prelims in the cities where I get my advanced interviews as I get them. Wondering if most med/surg prelims actually care whether we apply super late or not, as long as it’s before the formal program deadline.

Would appreciate the opinion of anyone on the PD/interview committee side, or any fourth year who’s tried this if you’re generous enough to be following along. :)

For prelims, I’m thinking about applying to a bunch of TYs on day 1, and then trickling in some med prelims in the cities where I get my advanced interviews as I get them. Wondering if most med/surg prelims actually care whether we apply super late or not, as long as it’s before the formal program deadline.
I did this to some effect. If I got an advanced interview then I immediately contacted the prelim at that hospital. That said, I also applied to a number of TYs and prelims right off the bat at places I knew I wanted to apply to and at places I thought I had a realistic shot of getting an advanced interview. I recommend applying to a chunk of them initially even though it might be a waste.

You are trying to only move once IIRC. If that's the case then you need to max your chances by applying to the prelims initially. Keep it within reason though. Don't apply to a prelim at all your advanced programs. That's just crazy and silly to waste money on a place you are statistically unlikely to end up IMO. I didn't apply to the prelim at places I knew I would rank last/safeties until after I got an interview there for advanced and chose to attend it.

Edit: also, prelims know the deal and send out interviews a bit later anyways. They are worrying about their categorical interview season first and foremost to get it all rolling.

I did this to some effect. If I got an advanced interview then I immediately contacted the prelim at that hospital. That said, I also applied to a number of TYs and prelims right off the bat at places I knew I wanted to apply to and at places I thought I had a realistic shot of getting an advanced interview. I recommend applying to a chunk of them initially even though it might be a waste.

You are trying to only move once IIRC. If that's the case then you need to max your chances by applying to the prelims initially. Keep it within reason though. Don't apply to a prelim at all your advanced programs. That's just crazy and silly to waste money on a place you are statistically unlikely to end up IMO. I didn't apply to the prelim at places I knew I would rank last/safeties until after I got an interview there for advanced and chose to attend it.

Edit: also, prelims know the deal and send out interviews a bit later anyways. They are worrying about their categorical interview season first and foremost to get it all rolling.
Perfect! Thank you so much.

Yes. My SO and I both pulled off the side of the road to confirm interviews for me during this season. They both filled up before getting back on the road each time.

Wow didn't know this was a thing. Is it easy to schedule them right from your phone once you get the email??

Wow didn't know this was a thing. Is it easy to schedule them right from your phone once you get the email??
Yeah, super easy to schedule. I recommend having a note on your phone with a running list of your interview dates and times so you can check it real quick. Otherwise, the logistics are simple. you open an email and click a link to go schedule a date on pretty much all the platforms.

You and a buddy should keep the list of interview dates updated and I also kept a written copy on a piece of paper that I kept on my person when it became hard to juggle advanced and prelim dates in my head.

It doesn't need to be super stressful if you have a semblance of a plan. It will still be stressful to hear that unique ring tone for interview invites though lol.

Agree.

There’s a million opinions about when to email PDs and it’s going to be program dependent what the yield is for that.

I emailed the place I ended up twice expressing my reasons for wanting to match there and on interview day they didn’t know about it.

I emailed another place after they’d released the first wave of invites. PD responded sayin something along the lines of “I’m reviewing the waitlist as we speak. Expect an interview this week.”

Another program I emailed twice and they squeezed me in after the second one and apologized for not offering me an interview sooner.

I think the spreadsheets had gunners telling people not to email PDs/PCs while they were emailing like crazy.

TLDR; it’s completely random. Don’t be weird and email every week or something. But beyond that, no one knows.

What did you write in these letter of interest emails? I was under the impression that PDs had the mindset like "yeah I know youre interested thats why you apply", but they seem to be helping people out. Would definitely send some out to a couple of my top choice places if I knew what to write

Yeah, super easy to schedule. I recommend having a note on your phone with a running list of your interview dates and times so you can check it real quick. Otherwise, the logistics are simple. you open an email and click a link to go schedule a date on pretty much all the platforms.

You and a buddy should keep the list of interview dates updated and I also kept a written copy on a piece of paper that I kept on my person when it became hard to juggle advanced and prelim dates in my head.

It doesn't need to be super stressful if you have a semblance of a plan. It will still be stressful to hear that unique ring tone for interview invites though lol.
Awesome thanks bro

Ok just read through this entire thread to make sure people didn't already ask about this.

As far as research goes, I understand how to list publications/poster presentations/oral presentations, but what do you put under the "research" section in the "experiences" part of the app.

For example, if I have 5 oral/poster presentations, all different projects/titles, but with the same research mentor and department of the hospital, do I just list 1 research experience and in the description write the 5 different projects? Or do I make 5 different research experiences and describe each in the description, even though they were with the same person/department?

Thanks in advance & goodluck everyone!

What did you write in these letter of interest emails? I was under the impression that PDs had the mindset like "yeah I know youre interested thats why you apply", but they seem to be helping people out. Would definitely send some out to a couple of my top choice places if I knew what to write
I used the following 2-paragraph format largely based on the AMSER Guide for radiology applicants (it may be applicable to other fields):
-----
Dear Dr. X,

1st paragraph
- short intro (i.e. MS4 at X medical school), reiterate interest in the program, highlight program's strengths and specific opportunities that draw you (research, med-ed, global health, etc), excitement about the program's location/geography, couple's matching considerations if applicable

2nd paragraph
- Brief academic accomplishments (#HP/H, Step 1/2 scores, honor societies), research projects/pubs in the speciality of interest, notable extracurricular/leadership.

Sincerely,

AzBasRad,
AAMC ID: 123456
------
Address your email to the PD and cc' the program coordinator.

Reactions: 3 users
I emailed whoever was on eras as the contact. Sometimes PD, sometimes PC.

Dear whoever,

My name is X. Step 1/step 2 is xxx/xxx. I’m interested in your program because of X. I’d love the opportunity to interview and learn more about the program.

Sincerely,

Your name,
Aamc ID:xxxxxx

keep it short. They’re busy

For advanced programs that guarantee an IM prelim year, do we still have to apply for their IM prelim along with the advanced program? Also do we need to write 2 Personal Statements if we are applying for both types of programs?

Ok just read through this entire thread to make sure people didn't already ask about this.

As far as research goes, I understand how to list publications/poster presentations/oral presentations, but what do you put under the "research" section in the "experiences" part of the app.

For example, if I have 5 oral/poster presentations, all different projects/titles, but with the same research mentor and department of the hospital, do I just list 1 research experience and in the description write the 5 different projects? Or do I make 5 different research experiences and describe each in the description, even though they were with the same person/department?

I was told by my school admins to enter them as separate research experiences.

For advanced programs that guarantee an IM prelim year, do we still have to apply for their IM prelim along with the advanced program? Also do we need to write 2 Personal Statements if we are applying for both types of programs?
So you aren't going to like the answer: it depends.

You always have to apply to programs on eras! But you might not have to interview separately. If it's a categorical program then there is no separate eras code and you don't pay extra. If it's an advanced program with linked (and some are non linked but basically are a guarantee) then you have to pay eras and apply for the associated prelim so you can put them on your rank list. This is all case by case and specialty dependent.

As for personal statements, I can only speak to radiology but essentially everyone I know just added a blurb to the end of the regular specialty specific PS saying "I want to do a prelim in blah blah so that I am prepared for XYZ in my advanced specialty yada yada yada"

They know the prelim is just a hoop to jump through so you don't need to write a PS about how you love IM or whatever lol.

Reactions: 2 users
So you aren't going to like the answer: it depends.

You always have to apply to programs on eras! But you might not have to interview separately. If it's a categorical program then there is no separate eras code and you don't pay extra. If it's an advanced program with linked (and some are non linked but basically are a guarantee) then you have to pay eras and apply for the associated prelim so you can put them on your rank list. This is all case by case and specialty dependent.

As for personal statements, I can only speak to radiology but essentially everyone I know just added a blurb to the end of the regular specialty specific PS saying "I want to do a prelim in blah blah so that I am prepared for XYZ in my advanced specialty yada yada yada"

They know the prelim is just a hoop to jump through so you don't need to write a PS about how you love IM or whatever lol.
Thanks, that was helpful.

I sent out about 5 to my top places that my SO had gotten interviews at that I hadn’t yet. From those I got 4 interviews, and one of them was the place I ended up matching. If you can say something that genuinely appeals to you about the program I think they actually really do make a difference. I followed pretty much the same format everyone has posted so far, made sure to mention what aspect I liked about the program and what I thought I could bring to the program.

Reactions: 3 users
However I didn’t include anything about my application like step scores and clinical grades like others have said.

However I didn’t include anything about my application like step scores and clinical grades like others have said.
I included steps just because I felt like these people get so many love letters and it saves them the hassle of going into your app to see why they didn’t invite you just to find out you missed the screen for steps.

I think this is especially helpful for strong applicants going for non-competitive programs.

Reactions: 4 users

The game of finding the 5 givers continues! Med school is a disaster to the very core

I included steps just because I felt like these people get so many love letters and it saves them the hassle of going into your app to see why they didn’t invite you just to find out you missed the screen for steps.

I think this is especially helpful for strong applicants going for non-competitive programs.
Who did you send your letter of interest email to? PD directly or PC? Also, when did you send yours?

Edit: nvm I just saw your original post. and it answered my first question.

I was told by my school admins to enter them as separate research experiences.

So this may vary depending on what else you have on your resume, but I'm definitely lumping projects that were with the same mentor/topic into a single research experience. For things that are already listed elsewhere (ie paid employment) I'm not planning to put a research experience because it would be redundant, i'm just describing the research in the work entry

So for example an imaginary student might have something like this:
  • Research Experience A: Undergrad research project, biochemistry, 1 poster
  • Research Experience B: Summer internship, biochemistry, no pubs
  • Research Experience C: Med school, neuroplasticcardiothoracic surgery with Dr. X, 3 posters, 5 first author Nature papers
  • Research Experience D: Med School, dermatogastropathology with Dr. Y, 2 first author Cell papers and 1 poster
  • Work Experience E: Paid employment between undergrad and med, 2 posters, 1 pub, 1 oral presentation at the White House

So this may vary depending on what else you have on your resume, but I'm definitely lumping projects that were with the same mentor/topic into a single research experience. For things that are already listed elsewhere (ie paid employment) I'm not planning to put a research experience because it would be redundant, i'm just describing the research in the work entry

So for example an imaginary student might have something like this:
  • Research Experience A: Undergrad research project, biochemistry, 1 poster
  • Research Experience B: Summer internship, biochemistry, no pubs
  • Research Experience C: Med school, neuroplasticcardiothoracic surgery with Dr. X, 3 posters, 5 first author Nature papers
  • Research Experience D: Med School, dermatogastropathology with Dr. Y, 2 first author Cell papers and 1 poster
  • Work Experience E: Paid employment between undergrad and med, 2 posters, 1 pub, 1 oral presentation at the White House
In my case I did several projects with the same P.I. that were all on very different subjects and I had varying roles/duties in, so that played into my consideration to list it all separately. I'm willing to trust my residency advisor on this one given they've edited a lot more ERAS applications than I have lol.

In my case I did several projects with the same P.I. that were all on very different subjects and I had varying roles/duties in, so that played into my consideration to list it all separately. I'm willing to trust my residency advisor on this one given they've edited a lot more ERAS applications than I have lol.
Do I still list a research experience that didn't lead to any abstract, presentation, or publication?

Edit: It was in Undergrad btw.

I was wondering if I should list GHHS and AOA under the "medical school awards" or not since there's already a check box for them earlier on in ERAS portal. What do you all think?

This is why it depends on the person. If they're substantially different subjects then I think it makes sense to split them. But it's quite common to have multiple posters/papers all tying to one major topic with the same mentor, and I think it makes the most sense to lump those under the same Experience. Think about it thematically - if it feels like they tell a better story about your involvement by showing how productive you were from one research relationship, I think it makes sense to lump them. but if you were starting over each time with a new team and topic that just happened to share one mentor, then split them.

It also really depends on how productive of a researcher you've been, and how long your resume already is, because you have to consider readability - at a certain point, having a separate research experience for each product (that is already listed separately in publications) will get excessively long and miserable for the reader

I have a letter of recommendation question.

I am applying psychiatry. I have three letters I know to be exceedingly strong letters, one IM, one FM, one psych. I have one more psych letter that I haven't seen, but don't know the psychiatrist that well. The letter is I'm sure positive, but more just like every letter everybody has.

Programs all say they require one psych letter but recommend two. Do I submit four letters to fulfill this rec or go with three very good letter and leave out the generic psych letter? I really want to use all the other three letters because they are all glowing with specific examples, stories, best student I've ever worked with statements etc type letters

I was wondering if I should list GHHS and AOA under the "medical school awards" or not since there's already a check box for them earlier on in ERAS portal. What do you all think?
Nope, no need to duplicate.

Do I still list a research experience that didn't lead to any abstract, presentation, or publication?

Edit: It was in Undergrad btw.
Yes, I just made sure to highlight what I learned from the experience

• Love
Ive heard programs going virtual again this year for interviews? Not cool. and why? lol. I think this hurt people especially DOs last cycle just my opinion. Trying to stay optimistic that interviews will be in person

Ive heard programs going virtual again this year for interviews? Not cool. and why? lol. I think this hurt people especially DOs last cycle just my opinion. Trying to stay optimistic that interviews will be in person
Definitely not gonna be in person with covid going back up again. I think virtual interviews hurt and helped people at the same time, but overall it was Ok.

I have a very particular question that I just need someone else's 2 cents on. My family lives abroad (Spain) and have been informed by a PD at the residency program of the specialty I want to apply for that the interviews will all be virtual. Assuming I'm even allowed to travel there after Delta I would like to go spend some time with them in November since I haven't seen them in 2 years. Is it risky to interview from abroad? I'm generally afraid of ping times making the interview more difficult to conduct.

Definitely not gonna be in person with covid going back up again. I think virtual interviews hurt and helped people at the same time, but overall it was Ok.
At the Family Med residency fair this week most programs said they were planning to offer a hybrid model where the applicant chooses if they want to do in person vs virtual..

The other bad thing with virtual is I feel like its hard to really get to know the program and you obviously cant get to know the city