MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm struggling to find good information on this although I bet someone has asked this in SDN before, so apologies in advance if I'm being too redundant: Most specialties on the "charting outcomes in the match" 2018 document have 10 or more volunteer experiences. How much of this is minor stuff, and does it mean I should be including it?
I did quite a bit of volunteering before my clinical rotations but when asked to list experiences I can come up with 6, because almost all my volunteering was part of a handful of projects and the rest are a handful of 1-3 hour stints at places I never again returned to.
I'm only listing important/long-term things. I'm only going to have 4 or so experiences. Same with research, only listing things I actually put some work into. I'm trying to get quality over quantity and not overload with fluff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much is there to do? Wasn't planning on touching it until after Step :oops:
It takes like an hour to fill out and then take a break and then another hour to proofread everything. It's basically just your CV in a slightly different format.

People act like it takes 5 days and I have no idea why lol.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you applying to prelims/TY, how are you deciding which programs and how many are you applying to?

For those of you applying to prelims/TY, how are you deciding which programs and how many are you applying to?
I’m choosing programs near where I want to do my advanced years/cities I’ve always wanted to live in. Have a list of 50 so far, but I’ll whittle it down.

Quick question. When the latest u have to take Step 2 for it to be available to programs day 1 when they start reviewing applicants?

Quick question. When the latest u have to take Step 2 for it to be available to programs day 1 when they start reviewing applicants?
Probably first week of September if September 29th is the day apps are available to programs?

Why take the chance? You can't be bothered to shave one day for one picture? Being totally frank, this whole stubble thing doesn't make sense for a professional photo being judged by a bunch of old white dudes. Why even open yourself up to that possibility of it somehow negatively affecting you just to avoid an inconvenience?
I have a professional looking goatee that I will not be shaving as it's just part of who I am. If a program wants to screen me out solely based on that then they are doing us both a favor

Reactions: 1 users
I have a professional looking goatee that I will not be shaving as it's just part of who I am. If a program wants to screen me out solely based on that then they are doing us both a favor
Not really pertinent to a conversation about some stubble but I guess party on Garth...

Edit: damn just read in another thread that you are applying psych. Double points for the goatee and triple points for a nice van ****, bro. Party on.

Edit edit: apparently the censor is censoring a name for some grade A professional psychiatrist and lawyer facial hair. For shame.

Last edited:
Not really pertinent to a conversation about some stubble but I guess party on Garth...

Edit: damn just read in another thread that you are applying psych. Double points for the goatee and triple points for a nice van ****, bro. Party on.

Edit edit: apparently the censor is censoring a name for some grade A professional psychiatrist and lawyer facial hair. For shame.
A goatee and stubble share a common theme in facial hair which...well I guess at this point we're splitting hairs (he he he)

Guess I will take my 2 cents elsewhere, Wayne.

A goatee and stubble share a common theme in facial hair which...well I guess at this point we're splitting hairs (he he he)

Guess I will take my 2 cents elsewhere, Wayne.
I responded the way I did because what you said wasn't really a rebuttal but a turn of conversation to a different situation entirely and warranted a "yeah,, cool, man. You sure got me!" response.

A (real) beard, a moustache, a goatee etc are all well groomed, planned, and traditional styles. For better or worse, in the eyes of many old people stubble does not really fit this category even if we as young people think it's fine.

A 30 year old interviewing with a goatee or moustache gets viewed as someone that has probably had that facial hair for a long time and it's their adult look and is professional. A person with stubble is not necessarily viewed that way, right or wrong. That's the world. Does it matter? Maybe not but shaving 1 day to avoid that stubble look makes sense It's all about minimizing subconscious perceptions by programs. It's not the same as saying "if these people don't like my brown hair then I'm glad they didn't choose me."

Also, I meant what I said about it being awesome you have a goatee while applying for psych. Dope!

I responded the way I did because what you said wasn't really a rebuttal but a turn of conversation to a different situation entirely and warranted a "yeah,, cool, man. You sure got me!" response.

A (real) beard, a moustache, a goatee etc are all well groomed, planned, and traditional styles. For better or worse, in the eyes of many old people stubble does not really fit this category even if we as young people think it's fine.

A 30 year old interviewing with a goatee or moustache gets viewed as someone that has probably had that facial hair for a long time and it's their adult look and is professional. A person with stubble is not necessarily viewed that way, right or wrong. That's the world. Does it matter? Maybe not but shaving 1 day to avoid that stubble look makes sense It's all about minimizing subconscious perceptions by programs. It's not the same as saying "if these people don't like my brown hair then I'm glad they didn't choose me."

Also, I meant what I said about it being awesome you have a goatee while applying for psych. Dope!
45DF509E-3BEA-4295-87DD-B62F573A6F24.gif

@flyboy3 talking about his psych patients as a resident

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Fair enough, maybe I’m just subconsciously looking for any situation I can talk about my beard and all its glory.
Agreed about the stubble in most cases, can come off lazy or arrogant, whether that is a fair judgement or not (generational, cultural perceptions etc).
Appreciate the compliment Wayne let’s party on

How is IM doing interviews this year? Online hybrid or in person? Sorry if this was already answered before!

How is IM doing interviews this year? Online hybrid or in person? Sorry if this was already answered before!
I don't have the definitive answer, but so far: radiology, peds, psych, and OB have stated online only. I would be surprised if IM followed a different path.

I don't have the definitive answer, but so far: radiology, peds, psych, and OB have stated online only. I would be surprised if IM followed a different path.

Maybe it’s because it’s a military program, but the peds program where I did my rotation is interviewing in person.

What was the consensus on the photo for ERAS: No white coat and instead wear a suit? School told us white coat.. but they also told us Galbreath technique is first line in ear infections

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
What was the consensus on the photo for ERAS: No white coat and instead wear a suit? School told us white coat.. but they also told us Galbreath technique is first line in ear infections
Pretty much everyone I know did suit. I don’t think I saw a single white coat. Our school took professional pictures for us and we all wore suits.

Reactions: 4 users
Suit for sure. I haven't seen a single person that did white coat so far.

Absolutely do not wear a white coat

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else's photo look a little "off" when you upload it to ERAS? My school paid for us to get professional photos and I followed all the directions for resizing...the quality is diminished (which I expected), but the proportions just look different from the actual photo. Especially before I click on it, in the upper right hand corner it looks like I'm 3 feet wide.

Does anyone else's photo look a little "off" when you upload it to ERAS? My school paid for us to get professional photos and I followed all the directions for resizing...the quality is diminished (which I expected), but the proportions just look different from the actual photo. Especially before I click on it, in the upper right hand corner it looks like I'm 3 feet wide.
Yeah mine is all warped, idk if it looks that way on the program end

Yeah mine is all warped, idk if it looks that way on the program end
Did you guys try uploading the original without messing with in first to see if it worked, like I mentioned before?

Did you guys try uploading the original without messing with in first to see if it worked, like I mentioned before?
I couldn't upload the full size, it had to try several progressively smaller sizes before it worked. I don't think its a compression issue though, because even before I uploaded my own photo the little anonymous placeholder image looked somewhat warped, so I'm hoping it's just the way its displayed online and will download fine for programs.

Edit: Actually just played around with this and cropping the height of the photo (leaving width alone) seemed to help! At least it lookes fine in the full image, The preview still looks weird though.

Last edited:
I’m choosing programs near where I want to do my advanced years/cities I’ve always wanted to live in. Have a list of 50 so far, but I’ll whittle it down.
50?! What’s your end goal? I was thinking like 12. Maybe I’m underestimating.

Does it make any sense to do an audition that starts at the end of February? Wasn't really planning on doing any since I'm applying FM, but the PD of the program I'm interested in recently told us they almost exclusively pick from those who did an audition.

Finally have 3 LoRs uploaded on ERAS. Now if I can just get myself to write this freaking P.S., I'll be good to go for this cycle.

• Wow
  • Love
Does it make any sense to do an audition that starts at the end of February? Wasn't really planning on doing any since I'm applying FM, but the PD of the program I'm interested in recently told us they almost exclusively pick from those who did an audition.
pretty lame for that PD considering we can only pick one place to do an audition.

Arent rank order lists due early Feb?

APDIM has recommended a fully virtual season. There's no mandate, so programs can do whatever they want.

Most programs seem to be heading towards a virtual season with an optional in person visit late in the season, assuming COVID remains OK.

Some programs are planning on in person.

• Wow
APDIM has recommended a fully virtual season. There's no mandate, so programs can do whatever they want.

Most programs seem to be heading towards a virtual season with an optional in person visit late in the season, assuming COVID remains OK.

Some programs are planning on in person.
Someone should suggest that programs have to submit rank order lists sometime early February, then these open houses can occur between February-beginning of march so that applicants can actually have an unbiased look and not worry about "showing" or "faking" interest in a program. But hey just how I see it.....

Reactions: 5 users
For the ERAS experiences section, it says clinical and teaching experience should be categorized as work. But does that include volunteering in a clinic? It feels strange to put it as work but maybe that's exactly what they're saying to do.

Someone should suggest that programs have to submit rank order lists sometime early February, then these open houses can occur between February-beginning of march so that applicants can actually have an unbiased look and not worry about "showing" or "faking" interest in a program. But hey just how I see it.....
It's already been suggested, but some programs interview into late january and early Feb.

I’m really struggling with writing one of my letters. I had a physician who told me she loved me but isn’t a good writer, and she said she’d happily send a letter in if I wrote it for her.

Why is it so hard to write about yourself? This is like pulling teeth, and almost feels embarrassing.

I’m really struggling with writing one of my letters. I had a physician who told me she loved me but isn’t a good writer, and she said she’d happily send a letter in if I wrote it for her.

Why is it so hard to write about yourself? This is like pulling teeth, and almost feels embarrassing.
"While I was extremely impressed with Calivianya's ability to perform at the level of an exceptional second-year resident I was floored by her ability to work so well with the team while training for an Ironman competition after having been raised in abject poverty".

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users