MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So like at the end of every interview every program says if you have any questions, feel free to email us. Like the residents/chiefs, the PD, etc. This is probably neurotic as hell, but....I don't really have any further questions but I feel like maybe I should come up with some to appear more interested (not for every program, just for my top ones)? Or does this not really matter/just a formality to say?

Members don't see this ad.

So like at the end of every interview every program says if you have any questions, feel free to email us. Like the residents/chiefs, the PD, etc. This is probably neurotic as hell, but....I don't really have any further questions but I feel like maybe I should come up with some to appear more interested (not for every program, just for my top ones)? Or does this not really matter/just a formality to say?
No, no. I don't think this is necessary at all. This is the point of LOIs later in the cycle. You're all good.

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically how long did it take yall to prep for an interview? Im trying to plan and figure out how many days in between I should have between them minimum so i am not unprepared. Obviously avoiding back to back interview days. Did it take you a week to prep a day a few days? trying to gauge

Haven’t done any prep whatsoever. I know my story and I know what I’ve done and where I want to be. That’s all that happens in an interview. “Tell me about you”, “tell me about this project/work”, “tell me where you see yourself” then the “what questions do you have for me…”

I’m not sure how you are pulling off not having back to back interviews. But I would say don’t do that at the detriment of getting the best interview dates/not waiting until late cycle. Every week I have back to back interviews, at least two or 3 of them. From now until early January. It’s just what it is. Not my fave of this process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I ad-lib. Did my research before applying, jot down the structural questions during resident time (how’s X/Y/Z?) and ask faculty-specific questions during interviews

A quick google search of each interviewer is all I do day-of. For example, one of my interviewers had a ton of research in palliative medicine, and I have a background in doing some hospice stuff, so I was able to bring that up. I’m super careful, though, because you don’t want to come across as a know-it all or OVERLY prepared like you’re compensating. I prefaced what I said by literally saying, “I do a quick google search of all the faculty I interview with, and I noticed you…” so that it didn’t seem pretentious

I find it’s so much easier to just ask them about their role/work and let them decide what to highlight and then pivot off that. I also find that they choose to highlight specific parts of their work that they think would be relevant/applicable to me. Many have talked to me about current proposals/grants, administrative efforts that aren’t easily found on search and those become my rich in our conversation than a random article in their piba that May not actually be important to them anymore.

I don’t Google anyone. Just my approach! I understand why others choose to research interviewers. (Plus we meet 8-15 faculty members in a single day)

Haven’t done any prep whatsoever. I know my story and I know what I’ve done and where I want to be. That’s all that happens in an interview. “Tell me about you”, “tell me about this project/work”, “tell me where you see yourself” then the “what questions do you have for me…”

I’m not sure how you are pulling off not having back to back interviews. But I would say don’t do that at the detriment of getting the best interview dates/not waiting until late cycle. Every week I have back to back interviews, at least two or 3 of them. From now until early January. It’s just what it is. Not my fave of this process.
Probably bc I only have 10 interviews rn not 20 like some of you so Im able to get away with not having back to back and not sure why anyone should be actually going on 20+ interviews theres really no need

Probably bc I only have 10 interviews rn not 20 like some of you so Im able to get away with not having back to back and not sure why anyone should be actually going on 20+ interviews theres really no need
There is if youre genuinely interested in hearing what the 20 programs have to say in order to best determine your rank list

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have any clue what happened to the reddit mega thread? On my end I'm seeing that mods removed it?

Anyone have any clue what happened to the reddit mega thread? On my end I'm seeing that mods removed it?
oh wow that's what I'm seeing too. probably good for my mental health lol

20 interviews, if you have them is very much considered an acceptable number to match in my speciality. Everyone I know is shooting between 20-25.

Surgical sub speciality. I wouldn’t say “there is no need” for prospective applicants searching the forums. Each specialty should look at charting outcomes and determine 90% (95% even better) match thresholds for contiguous ranks.

Last edited:
20 interviews, if you have them if very much considered an acceptable number to match in my speciality. Everyone I know is shooting between 20-25.

Surgical sub speciality. I wouldn’t say “there is no need” for prospective applicants searching the forums. Each specialty should look at chatting outcomes and determine 90% (95% even better) match thresholds for contiguous ranks.
I guess I should have said for IM

I’m not even half way through my interviews and I’m already getting tired of sitting for hours, I can’t imagine doing 30 or 40 like the people last year

So do people not normally drink during meet and greets?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many TY/prelim program invites should we shoot for? Is there a specific interview number where, say, 95% will match?

So do people not normally drink during meet and greets?
my experiences so far have been:
1. I poured myself a glass of wine but no one else was visibly drinking so i didn't drink it until after the call
2. Other people were drinking things from cans that could have been beer or not beer, so i drank my wine but was self conscious
3. Residents made it clear they were drinking and we could too, but i had just gotten home from road trip and was too tired for alcohol. had a nice iced tea instead.

Like they weren’t even drinking water or a soda?
I went to what was billed as a "casual resident social" and a good 3/4 of everyone was in button-down shirts or suits and on the edge of their seat. Honestly I hate these things.

--

Does anyone know what makes a good or bad interviewer? Honestly in all these little 10-15 minute interviews I feel like I give, hopefully, thoughtful answers to the behavioral interview questions but it all feels so janky. Like I can't say I had a warm conversation with anyone. Just a handful of prepared questions and on my way. Is this the norm? How poorly do you need to perform not to match?

I went to what was billed as a "casual resident social" and a good 3/4 of everyone was in button-down shirts or suits and on the edge of their seat. Honestly I hate these things.

--

Does anyone know what makes a good or bad interviewer? Honestly in all these little 10-15 minute interviews I feel like I give, hopefully, thoughtful answers to the behavioral interview questions but it all feels so janky. Like I can't say I had a warm conversation with anyone. Just a handful of prepared questions and on my way. Is this the norm? How poorly do you need to perform not to match?
Don't have an answer but just wanted to say I feel similarly. After most of my interviews I've felt like they've gone decently well, I had ok/good answers, conversation went relatively pleasantly. But then I'm like....but that was it. It wasn't anything out of this world or anything like that. So I have no idea how to feel afterwards. And the worst ones are where they just start the interview with, "so do you have any questions for me?" after giving an hour long presentation that answered any question I could have had about the program.

Don't have an answer but just wanted to say I feel similarly. After most of my interviews I've felt like they've gone decently well, I had ok/good answers, conversation went relatively pleasantly. But then I'm like....but that was it. It wasn't anything out of this world or anything like that. So I have no idea how to feel afterwards. And the worst ones are where they just start the interview with, "so do you have any questions for me?" after giving an hour long presentation that answered any question I could have had about the program.
That is exactly it! Its nice. Its pleasant. I say what I need to say, but I am sure everyone else is great also?

I dont know how these people walk away from programs knowing "you are my number one!" or vica versa.

That is exactly it! Its nice. Its pleasant. I say what I need to say, but I am sure everyone else is great also?

I dont know how these people walk away from programs knowing "you are my number one!" or vica versa.
This is why I was saying in the other thread that I actually think auditions are important with virtual interviews. Idk how to stand out among hundreds of applicants for a few spots in a span of 20 min convos with a few residents and faculty. But with the programs I auditioned at theres a huge difference

This has been every single one I've been on. Literally wearing the same things we wear during the interview minus the tie for the guys (including jackets half the time).

It's not a casual, relaxed thing when I'm wearing most of a suit and have lights on my face and nobody is drinking, y'all. It's more like being interrogated for a crime. :rofl:

I will continue having my drink during them and acting chill, though. I am *not* going somewhere that I have to have a stick up my butt for 3 years

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Gross, everyone at the ones I've been to has been pretty casual thankfully

This has been every single one I've been on. Literally wearing the same things we wear during the interview minus the tie for the guys (including jackets half the time).

It's not a casual, relaxed thing when I'm wearing most of a suit and have lights on my face and nobody is drinking, y'all. It's more like being interrogated for a crime. :rofl:

I will continue having my drink during them and acting chill, though. I am *not* going somewhere that I have to have a stick up my butt for 3 years
Mine have been bad too. Ive started playing this game when they ask us about ourselves, where I try and see who can come up with the craziest way to show they have a tie to the area. The winner right now is a kid who said his grandfather traveled through the area the residency was located and would tell his grandkids about it and since then hes always wanted to live there. Like it was some legend being passed down through generations..

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
The worst is every kid trying to ask a question that seems intelligent, but it's very obvious they are just speaking up for the sake of being memorable/seeming engaged/hearing themselves speak. If it's something you really wanna' know and can't Google, by all means, but it's obvious when people are speaking up for a "I spoke up too!" reason.

Oops i wear a sweatshirt and pajama pants and finish at least two glasses of wine lmao

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
The worst is every kid trying to ask a question that seems intelligent, but it's very obvious they are just speaking up for the sake of being memorable/seeming engaged/hearing themselves speak. If it's something you really wanna' know and can't Google, by all means, but it's obvious when people are speaking up for a "I spoke up too!" reason.
Only questions I really want to know are whether or not my quality of life will be good.

Meanwhile I turn to reddit and some M3 whose never held a job is complaining their classmates aren't "showing initiative" and creating scutwork for themselves to do.

• Haha
Do interviews still roll in during November or are we pretty much set with what we’ve got 🥺

Only questions I really want to know are whether or not my quality of life will be good.

Meanwhile I turn to reddit and some M3 whose never held a job is complaining their classmates aren't "showing initiative" and creating scutwork for themselves to do.
I hate these people. The people I've rotated with have ranged from stellar straight-through students with no work history, to non-trad students with multiple gap years and work histories, and everything in between. On the whole, those students who didn't experience real work life scenarios are definitely the type to complain about things.

Do interviews still roll in during November or are we pretty much set with what we’ve got 🥺
Starting to feel like things are slowing down. Just looking at Thalamus and ERAS pretty much all interview slots are filled. I guess it depends on whether people drop appointments.

I hear conflicting things from everyone about all things related to this so I think a lot of it is very program/specialty specific. There is no way programs have actually reviewed all their applications in a month though.

I hate these people. The people I've rotated with have ranged from stellar straight-through students with no work history, to non-trad students with multiple gap years and work histories, and everything in between. On the whole, those students who didn't experience real work life scenarios are definitely the type to complain about things.
An attending had to ask me to run some paperwork to the pharmacy because the intranet was down. He apologized like 5 times. I was like bro I’m 37 and have had some really ****ty jobs. Running a piece of paper to the pharmacy is nothing.

Reactions: 8 users
Well I'm now 2/4 on LOIs which is honestly better than I was expecting. So far no rejections in response (knock on wood), the other two have just ghosted me.

Wait, what were the 60%ish match numbers you’re talking about?

The 2021 match data.

In a nutshell:
PGY1 IR: 43 spots, 221 applicants. MDs: 32/160 matched. DOs: 3/26 matched.
PGY2 IR: 121 spots, 257 applicants. MDs: 97/179 matched. DOs: 12/31 matched.
PGY1 DR: 122 spots, 989 applicants: MDs: 71/615 matched. DOs: 28/186 matched.
PGY2 DR: 986 spots, 1657 applicants. MDs: 670/958 matched. DOs: 143/233 matched.

Obviously the data is pretty dirty since the PGY 1 and 2 of both have the same people and honestly there are some people getting counted four times, not to mention some people were undoubtedly applying rads as a backup. But looking at the overall matched/applicants for the PGY2 pools since they're both bigger/more common, we have around 69% MDs/61% DOs for DR and 54% MDs/38% DOs for IR.

Annoyed at residents coming on the spreadsheets giving feedback saying applicants should not ask about negatives about the program. And the meet and greets are just there to sell you on the program and won’t say anything that needs improving. This whole process is just so full of malarkey.

Legit just got out of a social a few minutes ago (yes, I was typing the above during the social) where everyone was like this. Dressed up, sitting on the edge of their seat, asking "smart" questions.

T-shirt and beer here, and when they finished circle jerking each other with statements like, "Playing off the last question, blah blah blah," "Similarly, blah blah blah blah," and "I'm so glad to hear that because (thing the resident was just talking about) is what I'm looking for in a program," I finally asked, "Not to ruin the serious vibe or anything, but how's the food?"

I'm gonna hold down the fort over here and ask the questions that really matter, kthnx. I learned everything I need to know because the program has much worse food benefits than the other IM backup I interviewed for on Monday, and I am not above making rank list decisions based on the food perks or lack thereof.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Annoyed at residents coming on the spreadsheets giving feedback saying applicants should not ask about negatives about the program. And the meet and greets are just there to sell you on the program and won’t say anything that needs improving. This whole process is just so full of malarkey.
Lol what. I ask those on almost every interview. I even ask the PDs about things they would change. What exactly is the point of this if we can't ask what we want to know.

Lol what. I ask those on almost every interview. I even ask the PDs about things they would change. What exactly is the point of this if we can't ask what we want to know.
apparently it signaling to the program that you are looking for negatives to rank it lower. Like what toxic Bs is this??

Legit just got out of a social a few minutes ago (yes, I was typing the above during the social) where everyone was like this. Dressed up, sitting on the edge of their seat, asking "smart" questions.

T-shirt and beer here, and when they finished circle jerking each other with statements like, "Playing off the last question, blah blah blah," "Similarly, blah blah blah blah," and "I'm so glad to hear that because (thing the resident was just talking about) is what I'm looking for in a program," I finally asked, "Not to ruin the serious vibe or anything, but how's the food?"

I'm gonna hold down the fort over here and ask the questions that really matter, kthnx. I learned everything I need to know because the program has much worse food benefits than the other IM backup I interviewed for on Monday, and I am not above making rank list decisions based on the food perks or lack thereof.
I was the only one in my social chilling with a nice IPA in my hand listening to other people in button ups after canned interview questions. While I’m asking about the dope beer gardens and outdoor activities to do in the area. I’m blessed with enough IV to be self-selected out by the stale boring programs

Id much rather interact with someone like you during a social lol
When we host them, the whole point is to let loose and talk more candidly.

Reactions: 3 users
That doesn’t make any sense lol. I want people to ask me what the negatives, how else are you gonna find out

That doesn’t make any sense lol. I want people to ask me what the negatives, how else are you gonna find out
yeah Prelim/TY residents reporting back on the spreadsheets and reddit that we shouldn't. This is legit the question I ask at every program.

yeah Prelim/TY residents reporting back on the spreadsheets and reddit that we shouldn't. This is legit the question I ask at every program.
Prelim/TY makes even less sense lol everyone knows you’re trying to find somewhere chill.

I am not above making rank list decisions based on the food perks or lack thereof.
100% this, I have been asking about the food situation at every social. For the most part I’ve liked the residents and opportunities at every program but some are stingy with the food and that is no good

Please feed me, I will be a great and happy resident for you with a full tummy

Reactions: 3 users

Which specialty?

Me too. I have a different way of asking it but I ask the same thing, and I've been getting great answers from the PDs/interviewers. Most of them laugh first and compliment me on it being a great question. If I catch wind of this behavior related to somewhere I interviewed, it might just make me decide not to rank the program tbh.

If something's so bad people feel the need to hide it, or the program culture is such that all potential problems are swept under the rug and never mentioned again, those are some of the biggest red flags I can think of... next to the way the residents talked about women in the program at one of my auditions, but nobody's going to be dumb enough to do that on an online meeting I'd hope.

Also FYI to residents , I know covid sucks and was a difficult time but plz be careful how you talk about it. Like saying words cool etc when people literally had loved ones sittting in a truck for a morgue is never a good look. I know we are getting desensitized to the whole situation but over half a million loved ones got snatched from their families plz be mindful about that when talking about how they handled being redeployed during covid.