Colorado State c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedLauren

CSU CVMBS c/o 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ALRIGHT who’s applying this cycle?

I will be starting my first year of vet school at CSU in a few short days and I was in your exact position this time last year. So I know how stressful this is for you, trust me I get it.

Feel free to post any school specific questions / rants / raves / musings here.

Good luck and GO RAMS

0ED143C6-1629-4317-B469-0082C24360B3.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it true that CSU likes trending upward GPA's? Definitely want to apply but my GPA is holding me back. I have a 3.1 cumulative right now but last 45 and pre-req's is MUCH higher.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it true that CSU likes trending upward GPA's? Definitely want to apply but my GPA is holding me back. I have a 3.1 cumulative right now but last 45 and pre-req's is MUCH higher.
Absolutely. My cumulative GPA was lower than yours because I struggled a lot at the beginning of college. I had a lot going on in my personal life and explained that in my application. My last 3 years of college were a 3.97, so they saw that I made a drastic change for the better.

With that being said, GPA is still very important so make sure the rest of your application makes up for it. Don’t be lagging behind in any other category (experience, GRE, LOR’s etc)

Members don't see this ad :)

Same. I feel you.

Absolutely. My cumulative GPA was lower than yours because I struggled a lot at the beginning of college. I had a lot going on in my personal life and explained that in my application. My last 3 years of college were a 3.97, so they saw that I made a drastic change for the better.

With that being said, GPA is still very important so make sure the rest of your application makes up for it. Don’t be lagging behind in any other category (experience, GRE, LOR’s etc)

Now this ^ gives me hope.

Reactions: 1 user

since you had a similar cGPA..did they let you know status of your application earlier? I know they say they do an early review for people with cGPA less than 3.2

Hi everybody! OOS applicant...first application cycle!

Everything downloaded! Now only a month and a half wait

Reactions: 4 users
Everything downloaded! Now only a month and a half wait

Happy I'm not the only one constantly checking the portal!

I saw 1836 people applied to CSU OOS last year. That seems like a much higher number than any other school, which made the chance of acceptance 2.9% OOS, yikes! ... The kind of stuff I like to calculate when I want to stress myself out.

Reactions: 4 users
Happy I'm not the only one constantly checking the portal!

I saw 1836 people applied to CSU OOS last year. That seems like a much higher number than any other school, which made the chance of acceptance 2.9% OOS, yikes! ... The kind of stuff I like to calculate when I want to stress myself out.

*our favor

DBCH1T9UMAEIQ32.jpg

since you had a similar cGPA..did they let you know status of your application earlier? I know they say they do an early review for people with cGPA less than 3.2
Nope. I found out I got an interview the same time as everyone else at the end of November. I didn’t get any emails before that except for them confirming I submitted my application.

I applied to CSU as well! I'm an OOS applicant and I currently attend CSU for undergrad. I've been anxiously checking everything all the time. All of my application and eLOR stuff has been received. I'm super anxious to hear back from any of the schools I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS applicant and am so glad everything has been downloaded for my app! CSU is one of my top 2 school choices! Waiting until December to hear any news is making me so anxious but I am also super excited for the prospect of hearing some, hopefully, good news :)

I know it’s impossible to not think about it everyday but try not to obsess over it! If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. It’s completely out of your control now (except for making good grades this semester - focus on that!) so stressing about it won’t change anything.

Also a bit of advice so you’re not checking your phone every 5 minutes, go ahead and mark every address you’ve gotten a CSU email from as VIP (like the dvm admissions one). That way it will alert you on your phone when you get a new message from them :p

not checking your phone every 5 minutes

I learned from SDN last year that this is something people do, and I know myself well enough to realize that I would do the same. So I made a new e-mail address just for vet school stuff, and that's what I used to apply. However, when I get any notification from that e-mail I nearly pass out :rofl:

Just received and email stating that reviews have started and to look for further communication mid November.

Reactions: 6 users
Nope. I found out I got an interview the same time as everyone else at the end of November. I didn’t get any emails before that except for them confirming I submitted my application.

What is the interview process like? I see that have Jan 19-20 for interview dates. Is it a 2 day event or the same schedule each day just for different candidates?

What is the interview process like? I see that have Jan 19-20 for interview dates. Is it a 2 day event or the same schedule each day just for different candidates?
It’s a one day event. Half of the people will interview on Saturday, the other half on Sunday. The interview itself was only maybe an hour but there is also a sit down lunch that’s provided, a tour, Q&A panel, several people do some talks like the dean and the financial advisor. They also had an optional dinner “soirée” (as they called it lol) later that evening after the interviews where you could talk to current vet students and the professors.

It ends up being the whole day. I wanna say I started at around 10 and ended at 6? And that’s not including the dinner which I didn’t go to.

Wear comfortable shoes. And a warm coat.

Also I can confirm that we had a record breaking amount of applicants this year, 2,400 is what I was told by a professor.

Congratulations on surviving the minefield last year. Were you in-state or Out?

You made it through the eye of the needle.

You made it through the eye of the needle.
Yeah getting in is a crap shoot honestly. Just do your best and hope for the best.

So December 14th is the big day. So scary

Reactions: 8 users
December 14th!! :scared::scared:

Good luck to everyone! And as Effie Trinket says, "May the odds be ever in your favor".

:(I didn’t get an email
Maybe your emails are going to your spam? Or, in my case, I had to go to "All Mail" to see their last email. I have gmail, and their last email didn't show up in my primary mailbox and I saw it in "All Mail." However, this email today did show up in my primary mailbox. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know if Colorado cares about science gpa? I’ve looked and all I can find is avg cumulative gpa’s and so on.

Does anyone know if Colorado cares about science gpa? I’ve looked and all I can find is avg cumulative gpa’s and so on.
They definitely care about cumulative, last 45, and science.

Well I was just wondering because no where does a say an applicant is chosen based off of any gpa besides cumulative!
I know, they don’t really put a lot of information about the selection process online, but they do care about the other 2 GPA’s, I wouldn’t have gotten in if they only looked at cumulative :cat:

My heart skipped a beat when I saw their email.

Saaaaame. My heart dropped even though the subject line was really clear. I’m just nervous regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hey all! I was wondering if any current or previous applicants know if Colorado allows interview dates to be picked between the two days they offer or if they assign you one? Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone here.

Hey all! I was wondering if any current or previous applicants know if Colorado allows interview dates to be picked between the two days they offer or if they assign you one? Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone here.
If you check previous CSU threads you’ll probably find out based on the wording of their posts saying they got an interview.

You have to register per the email they recently sent. See screenshot.

Attachments

• 2674B6AE-D04D-474A-9C7A-9A5EDC81C156.jpeg
    2674B6AE-D04D-474A-9C7A-9A5EDC81C156.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 174
Saw that I had an email from CSU and immediately panicked and thought they were releasing decisions early:oops:

Saw that I had an email from CSU and immediately panicked and thought they were releasing decisions early:oops:
I checked my email and my heart skipped a few beats and then I realized it was the same email we got a few weeks ago!

I swear they're trying to give us a heart attack with all these timeline emails! My hands were shaking when I clicked the email hahah. Less than two more weeks to wait!

Reactions: 8 users
The count down is on. Less than a week!

If you applied to a combined program, the decisions are on the portal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

That's great they let you know a week early! Did you get an interview to one of the combined programs?
I didn't but I knew it was a long shot. I had read on their admissions site that they review those applicants first so I checked and there it was.

My application is now in the regular DVM pool but I don't expect to get an interview. I just really like CSU so I figured I would give it a shot.