This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btolsen5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else taken the new CB level 1 practice test yet? If so, how did you score, how did you feel about the questions?

I scored 580, but I felt like many of the topics were either poorly written about, or really obscure! Reviewing the questions I've googled many of the questions because I didn't believe their explanation, only to find that it was correct, but things that I've never even heard about before!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody else taken the new CB level 1 practice test yet? If so, how did you score, how did you feel about the questions?

I scored 580, but I felt like many of the topics were either poorly written about, or really obscure! Reviewing the questions I've googled many of the questions because I didn't believe their explanation, only to find that it was correct, but things that I've never even heard about before!

Welcome to the COMLEX! Where the questions are made up and the points don’t matter!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Student doctors,

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question but I am lost. I have 2 weeks left before I take the comlex, I am bit confused on how to go about it. Should I read first aid? Sadly I have not read first aid yet (only Behavioral, Repro, and Renal so far); I have watched sketchy micro (minus viruses which I will in the coming days). I started Uworld and combank. I dont think I have time to finish all the questions and also read etc. So doing questions better than reading first aid? And is it true that comquest is a better question bank (and it represents comlex better) than combank? Thank you in advance, sincerely a nervous student who scraped by medical school with family commitments and life

Members don't see this ad :)
Know Micro, Pharm, and Neuro cold

40-50% of your exam will be on these three topics
10-14% of your exam will be on OMM

The rest are straight up dog crap that isn't even worth mentioning

Reactions: 1 user
Know Micro, Pharm, and Neuro cold

40-50% of your exam will be on these three topics
10-14% of your exam will be on OMM

The rest are straight up dog crap that isn't even worth mentioning

thank you BlackCoffee,

Would FA (neuro and micro) be more beneficial or doing questions? (NOTE: I have not read FA yet). And for the rest "dog crap" you refer to, whats the best way to prepare for that (I know I can never be fully prepared but what can I do). Lastly, maybe you know this, is it true average COMLEX this year is 550? or is it 520 ( i read many different posts and its bit shocking that I might not be average)
Once again thank you for replying :)

thank you BlackCoffee,

Would FA (neuro and micro) be more beneficial or doing questions? (NOTE: I have not read FA yet). And for the rest "dog crap" you refer to, whats the best way to prepare for that (I know I can never be fully prepared but what can I do). Lastly, maybe you know this, is it true average COMLEX this year is 550? or is it 520 ( i read many different posts and its bit shocking that I might not be average)
Once again thank you for replying :)

They readjust the scale probably to 510-520 being the 50% percentile. That's probably the reason for the 8 weeks delay in term of score report

If you know everything in FA Micro and Sketchy Micro cold, you should be solid on that one. As for Neuro, I don't think that FA Neuro is enough. Neuro has always been my strongest subject, but there are questions that require classroom knowledge. But, the Comlex Neuro stuff are very simple. There're videos for Comlex Neuro somewhere. Just watch those videos as recommended by some posters on the board, and you should do decent.

For all of these subjects, I would recommend doing questions. I did really well on UW questions, with my first pass being around 64%, and my second pass being 84%.

Physiology is also one of my strongest subjects. However, I was borderline on the Comlex. A lot of it was due to me not understanding what they're asking about.

As for OMM, I blow balls on the COMSAE, but average on the real Comlex. I don't know if it's worth going over Saverse, but I did that and memorized all viscero and Chapman points.

Patho is really simple. I nailed all Comlex Patho questions from just Pathoma.

With time being the limiting factor, I highly recommend doing 200-300 questions, reviewing the explanations later, and nailing down Pharm, Micro, and Neuro cold.

It should boost your real baseline by 70-100 pts imo. Good luck! The test is terribly written. @Goro and his buddies need to get together and recheck some of these questions.

They readjust the scale probably to 510-520 being the 50% percentile. That's probably the reason for the 8 weeks delay in term of score report

If you know everything in FA Micro and Sketchy Micro cold, you should be solid on that one. As for Neuro, I don't think that FA Neuro is enough. Neuro has always been my strongest subject, but there are questions that require classroom knowledge. But, the Comlex Neuro stuff are very simple. There're videos for Comlex Neuro somewhere. Just watch those videos as recommended by some posters on the board, and you should do decent.

For all of these subjects, I would recommend doing questions. I did really well on UW questions, with my first pass being around 64%, and my second pass being 84%.

Physiology is also one of my strongest subjects. However, I was borderline on the Comlex. A lot of it was due to me not understanding what they're asking about.

As for OMM, I blow balls on the COMSAE, but average on the real Comlex. I don't know if it's worth going over Saverse, but I did that and memorized all viscero and Chapman points.

Patho is really simple. I nailed all Comlex Patho questions from just Pathoma.

With time being the limiting factor, I highly recommend doing 200-300 questions, reviewing the explanations later, and nailing down Pharm, Micro, and Neuro cold.

It should boost your real baseline by 70-100 pts imo. Good luck! The test is terribly written. @Goro and his buddies need to get together and recheck some of these questions.

Thank you, you are awesome. I really appreciate you taking out your time. I will look at FA micro and glance neuro as you said both are high yields. I will try to do questions too and get down pharm, neuro, and micro. I will also try to do some OMM questions as that is a weak point for me. And just to be clear sir/ or respected ma'am, you said do 300 questions and review meaning do not read but rather do questions on rest of the material (minus micro and neuro).

Thank you, you are awesome. I really appreciate you taking out your time. I will look at FA micro and glance neuro as you said both are high yields. I will try to do questions too and get down pharm, neuro, and micro. I will also try to do some OMM questions as that is a weak point for me. And just to be clear sir/ or respected ma'am, you said do 300 questions and review meaning do not read but rather do questions on rest of the material (minus micro and neuro).

Reading passively FA won't do you any good. You need to do active recall by doing questions and then reviewing the explanations. It should take you about 3-4 hrs to read through a section on FA, as in Micro, Cardio, Lung, Renal, Heme, etc...