Comlex level 2 PE and/or USMLE Step 2 CS for allopathic anesthesiology applicati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spartyon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year DO student and plan to take comlex level 2 CE and USMLE step 2 CK. Should I also plan to take both clinical exams or is the level 2 cs one enough? I ask those who have been on the interview trail for allopathic anesthesiology residency and know what the majority of programs require/request. If anyone could give me some suggestions or tips I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone...btw if this is a repost I apologize I just couldn't find this specific information in any other threads.

Members don't see this ad.

do not waste your time or money taking the allopathic clinical skills exam. while i did take both steps of the usmle written (which is darn near mandatory imho) i did not take the MD physical exam portion. no one cared, no one asked, never came up once.... totally NOT necessary

do not waste your time or money taking the allopathic clinical skills exam. while i did take both steps of the usmle written (which is darn near mandatory imho) i did not take the MD physical exam portion. no one cared, no one asked, never came up once.... totally NOT necessary

Thanks for your reply and thats what I was thinking exactly. A history and physical and the diagnostic workup should be the same regardless. Anybody else agree with the above poster?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply and thats what I was thinking exactly. A history and physical and the diagnostic workup should be the same regardless. Anybody else agree with the above poster?

Absolutely agree with the above. DO NOT waste your $ or precious time taking a second clinical exam, one of these is bad enough. I took only the written steps and did fine in the match, I'm sure you'll do the same. :thumbup:

Absolutely agree with the above. DO NOT waste your $ or precious time taking a second clinical exam, one of these is bad enough. I took only the written steps and did fine in the match, I'm sure you'll do the same. :thumbup:

Awesome just the reassurance I needed! I'm gonna apply broadly in the midwest and hope for the best. I'm just a third year but am trying to plan my attack as early as possible. Thanks for your reply. Any other suggestions?

As a DO who is currently going through this (4th yr) I recommend figuring out where you wish to do your away rotations and have your apps for those in as soon as that program allows (generally april or may) as they fill quickly. Also some may argue against taking USMLE step 2 if your step 1 score is good but I say take it early so your ERAS app is done and it doesnt appear as though you are hiding anything or not confident in your step 2 score.

As a DO who is currently going through this (4th yr) I recommend figuring out where you wish to do your away rotations and have your apps for those in as soon as that program allows (generally april or may) as they fill quickly. Also some may argue against taking USMLE step 2 if your step 1 score is good but I say take it early so your ERAS app is done and it doesnt appear as though you are hiding anything or not confident in your step 2 score.

Thanks for the info. So did you take the comlex level 2 ce as well as usmle step 2 cs? My main question is should I take the clinical exams for both usmle and comlex or just comlex as a DO student? I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for the info. So did you take the comlex level 2 ce as well as usmle step 2 cs? My main question is should I take the clinical exams for both usmle and comlex or just comlex as a DO student? I appreciate your feedback.
Absolutely DO NOT waste your time/money taking the USMLE cs, the pe/cs are basically just competency exams, they are pass/fail therefore taking and passing the USMLE cs adds nothing to your CV because a.) everyone has to pass b.)it in no way differentiates you (pass vs pass vs pass.....) and c.) you have taken and passed the COMLEX pe which is your requirement for licensing which is all they care about when it comes to the clinical exams.

Absolutely DO NOT waste your time/money taking the USMLE cs, the pe/cs are basically just competency exams, they are pass/fail therefore taking and passing the USMLE cs adds nothing to your CV because a.) everyone has to pass b.)it in no way differentiates you (pass vs pass vs pass.....) and c.) you have taken and passed the COMLEX pe which is your requirement for licensing which is all they care about when it comes to the clinical exams.

I see the clinical competency in one exam that all is required and since its pass fail it don't mean squat to take the USMLE version. This has been very helpful. Thank you to all that responded.