COMMITMENT TO ARMY HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lionpride98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have a question regarding the year commitment to the Army after a 4 year HPSP scholarship. To my understanding it is a MINIMUM commitment of 8 years after residency, 4 of which must be done on Active Duty. If my residency years, not counting intern year, surpass the amount of years I'm on scholarship then I owe the bigger number. If this is incorrect please clarify the true break down.

So if I do ortho, which is a 5 year residency at Madigan with the first year being an intern year, I will owe the army 4 years of Active Duty service after my residency, correct??
Another scenario is if I do Gen Surg at Tripler, which is a 6 year residency with the first year being an intern year, I will owe the army 5 years of Active Duty service after my residency, correct??

My other question is regarding the IRR. Since I owe 8 years, if I were to do option 1 at Madigan for example, would I be able to leave the army and do my last 4 years in a civilian hospital, or do my years in residency count to my IRR years and I am done since I technically was active in the army for 9 years (5 in residency + 4 in active duty pay back). PLEASE clarify this part for me, as this is where most of my confusion is.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a question regarding the year commitment to the Army after a 4 year HPSP scholarship. To my understanding it is a MINIMUM commitment of 8 years after residency, 4 of which must be done on Active Duty. If my residency years, not counting intern year, surpass the amount of years I'm on scholarship then I owe the bigger number. If this is incorrect please clarify the true break down.
Correct. Internship is obligation neutral but you are still wearing a uniform and you are subject to the whims and requirement of the DoD, so....

So if I do ortho, which is a 5 year residency at Madigan with the first year being an intern year, I will owe the army 4 years of Active Duty service after my residency, correct??
Internship is a wash. 4 year residency where you are accumulating and paying off your commitment. Graduate owing 4 years, having worn the uniform for 5 years already as a resident.

Another scenario is if I do Gen Surg at Tripler, which is a 6 year residency with the first year being an intern year, I will owe the army 5 years of Active Duty service after my residency, correct??
Internship is a wash. 5 year residency where you are accumulating and paying off your commitment. With your PGY6 year, you begin to accumulate commitment. Graduate owing 5 years, having worn the uniform for 6 years already as a resident.

My other question is regarding the IRR. Since I owe 8 years, if I were to do option 1 at Madigan for example, would I be able to leave the army and do my last 4 years in a civilian hospital, or do my years in residency count to my IRR years and I am done since I technically was active in the army for 9 years (5 in residency + 4 in active duty pay back). PLEASE clarify this part for me, as this is where most of my confusion is.
IRR payback begins after you pay off your Active duty Service obligation if fully deferred for civilian residency.

You do get credit for the reserves (IRR) time while in residency if on active duty. Therefore, internship, residency and fellowships on AD count towards IRR. If you do your 6 year residency in the military, you will have 1 year of internship, 5 years of residency -> 5 year committment after having worn the uniform for 6 years. Therefore, you will have completed your IRR requirement 2 years into your active duty payback. Don't understand your "civilian" question - you are not going civilian until you pay back 5 years on active duty

Last edited: