Committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my school has a premed committee but I didn’t know that it was absolutely mandatory I get a letter from them?

Does it still count for nontrad students? I graduate in a year... and will be taking a gap year so would I still need one? What if I’m refused a committee letter?

Really freaking out about this

Members don't see this ad.

It is best to get one IF you CAN get one.

I am a non-trad and did my committee interview two years after my graduation. It made applying a ton easier.

It is best to get one IF you CAN get one.

I am a non-trad and did my committee interview two years after my graduation. It made applying a ton easier.

I’d rather not tho... don’t know the committee that well. In fact don’t know it at all! I have professors that I have a really really good relationship with that have offered to write me letters. I’m certain they’d be able to write me beautiful letters but I feel like this committee is just gonna kill my app :-//

Members don't see this ad :)
My first time meeting the head of the committee was the day of my committee interview.

Adcoms here can chime in what exactly is put in these letters.

I had to get at least three LORs from professors (two sci, one non-sci) and an employer letter since i was a non-trad. They had my MCAT score, these letters, my school list, and my interview and did the rest.

My UG is a big feeder school as well.

My first time meeting the head of the committee was the day of my committee interview.

Adcoms here can chime in what exactly is put in these letters.

I had to get at least three LORs from professors (two sci, one non-sci) and an employer letter since i was a non-trad. They had my MCAT score, these letters, my school list, and my interview and did the rest.

My UG is a big feeder school as well.

Wait I’m so confused... isn’t a committee letter an entire different letter? Three LORs for the interview or for your committee to write you a letter? What if they refuse me? Dx

Wait I’m so confused... isn’t a committee letter an entire different letter? Three LORs for the interview or for your committee to write you a letter? What if they refuse me? Dx

I think they also wanted to see that others thought highly of me too? Just how the process works at my school (and likely others). The LORs had to be in to be granted the committee interview.

I think they also wanted to see that others thought highly of me too? Just how the process works at my school (and likely others). The LORs had to be in to be granted the committee interview.

... how was the interview???

It went fine. I dont remember any exact questions, though.

I'm just nervous... I feel like they are gonna deny me a letter. So what exactly IS a committee letter? Do I NEED to have one? Also, does it "overshadow" all my individual faculty letters when applying to med school?!

Why can't I just use my own individual LORs!? Those are better for me anyway...

Furthermore, does it depend on the med school if a committee letter is needed or not!?

omg... and if an applicant uses a committee letter... does that mean their individual letters are not even looked at!??! ! !

Similar to ciestar, at my institution the premed committee requires certain LORs (in my case, we had to have 4 faculty letters and at least 2 needed to be science profs) and an “interview” before writing the committee letter. Our committee letters would sort of be a “narrative” that tied all the good parts and themes from the individual LORs and our PS, and also included personal/unique tidbits that would try to help us stand out more. But the individual letters would also be included in the packet that got submitted to schools (IDK if screeners would just read the committee’s letter or read all of them though).
I am non-trad and I didn’t use my school’s committee, because 1) they had a super early deadline for the materials and I hadn’t written my PS yet, and 2) I only had 3 former profs to write me letters anyways (and the committee didn’t allow exceptions for that).
I personally think the committee letter would have helped me, though.

OP this topic and all of your questions have been covered many times on this site. You'll be best off just using the search function

Reactions: 1 users
If your school is a feeder to a medical school then you better have a committee letter.

so my school has a premed committee but I didn’t know that it was absolutely mandatory I get a letter from them?

Does it still count for nontrad students? I graduate in a year... and will be taking a gap year so would I still need one? What if I’m refused a committee letter?

Really freaking out about this
Chill.
MD schools seem to really like committee LORs, especially if lots of grads from your school go to those med schools.

IF you don't get a committee LOR, you might very well be asked why, either in the secondary, or at interview. If this happens, just tell the truth.

Frankly, while committee LORs are nice summaries of all the other LORs, plus describe what the applicant was like at the meeting with the committee, I have found that they tend to be overly positive to the applicant. Like giving someone with a mediocre GPA the highest possible rating.

It's more telling when someone gets a mediocre rating, but this is uncommon.

Reactions: 1 users