Community IM Programs -- Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valsalva83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I needed some advice on community IM programs. I am a DO student, so I have already applied to 60+ AOA IM residencies. Stats:
Comlex 1: first try- did not pass :(, second attempt: 460-480's
Comlex II: 430-450's
Comlex II PE: Pass on 1st attempt
Class Rank: top 25%
AOA: None at my school
rotations: Honored my IM I/IM 2 rotations. HP on all other rotations.
LOR: 3 solid IM letters (with chair letter)+ 1 FM letter
Research: 3 poster presentations, 1 abstract.
Didn't take the USMLE since I did not have the best luck with COMLEX.
I was thinking of applying IM acgme as well and wanted to know if anyone knew of community IM programs in northeast/midwest that I should definitely have on my list. I am getting a little more nervous as the date to apply acgme comes closer.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be an ass, but how did you score so poorly while being in the top 25% of your class?

Your previous posts say "bad test taker," but your high class rank seems to contradict this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be an ass, but how did you score so poorly while being in the top 25% of your class?

Your previous posts say "bad test taker," but your high class rank seems to contradict this.
I was surprised myself and disappointed with the scores. I scored well on the comsae's every time. Did well in my classes too. Felt prepared and got screwed over when I got my result. For that reason I didn't even attempt the usmle.

typical sdn fashion. OP comes for advice, we shoot OP down about being a bad test taker. Bravo.

OP, check freida data. it'll be ur best/most accurate place for advice. u're research will be seen favorably when applying. Especially if IM applicable. don't count urself out. Apply broadly and smartly. u should match at least a community program. but dont forget to apply to a few reach programs. Especially with a hx of taking students from ur school.

Reactions: 1 user
typical sdn fashion. OP comes for advice, we shoot OP down about being a bad test taker. Bravo.

OP, check freida data. it'll be ur best/most accurate place for advice. u're research will be seen favorably when applying. Especially if IM applicable. don't count urself out. Apply broadly and smartly. u should match at least a community program. but dont forget to apply to a few reach programs. Especially with a hx of taking students from ur school.

FRIEDA is quite inaccurate. Also, it's a legitimate question from the other poster. I think the stats from my school showed that in the last 5 years, no one in the top 25% of the class failed Level 1. Also OP has posted elsewhere and failed to mention they need a visa, which complicates things further.

FRIEDA is quite inaccurate. Also, it's a legitimate question from the other poster. I think the stats from my school showed that in the last 5 years, no one in the top 25% of the class failed Level 1. Also OP has posted elsewhere and failed to mention they need a visa, which complicates things further.
I do not need a visa. I am a US citizen.

Thank you for the encouragement. Honestly, I am open to advice and posted because I needed it. I know I don't have the best stats, which is why I have been checking freida quite often. Was wondering if anyone else had any input on programs which may be somewhat forgiving since the rest of my application is okay.

You will be fine. Make sure to include FM programs as back up. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users