COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thirdclius said:
Got my letter of acceptance today! so happy :)

Congrats!!!! Are you going to attend this school ? Sure ? Undecided ? Hey, if you're SoCal, please let me know. I plan to meet dr.z pretty soon. If you want to join us, welcome. Again, congrats for you acceptance. You must feel great. Party time ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

thirdclius said:
Got my letter of acceptance today! so happy :)
Congratulations! :thumbup: See you in August. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I am looking for a little advice:

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide if we are moving down to SoCal together, or if we will do the long distance thing for the next ~2 years (I am NWT.) There are a couple of important factors, one of which is whether or not we can find a more neighborhood-y place to live that would still be doable for me for school. To us, this means a condensed setting with a variety of businesses arranged in a pedestrian friendly manner. For example, where we live now, we can walk out our front door and find three different coffee shops, thai food, mexican food, italian food, a large grocery and an organic market, a couple different bars (one with live music most nights of the week), etc. and lots of interesting people, all within 3 blocks.

I thought I saw a few places near pomona that looked a little like what I'd hope to find, but didn't have a lot of chance to explore anything while down there. Do any of you know about the area and where we might look for this kind of living situation?

Thanks in advance,

Jake
EDIT: How about Claremont? Or somewhere south east of LA?

I'm new in SoCal also. From my observation, I can see that Monclair has a big mall and condensed businesses. I'm not sure if you can go to many places by walking but driving with a short distance is possible. It's pretty close to the school as well.

Other former or current students, please help us. Give us some love :love:

JakeHarley said:

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide if we are moving down to SoCal together, or if we will do the long distance thing for the next ~2 years (I am NWT.) There are a couple of important factors, one of which is whether or not we can find a more neighborhood-y place to live that would still be doable for me for school. To us, this means a condensed setting with a variety of businesses arranged in a pedestrian friendly manner. For example, where we live now, we can walk out our front door and find three different coffee shops, thai food, mexican food, italian food, a large grocery and an organic market, a couple different bars (one with live music most nights of the week), etc. and lots of interesting people, all within 3 blocks.

I thought I saw a few places near pomona that looked a little like what I'd hope to find, but didn't have a lot of chance to explore anything while down there. Do any of you know about the area and where we might look for this kind of living situation?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

JakeHarley said:

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Hey congrats! Can't wait to meet you guys next year! For what you want I'd say your best bet is in Claremont near the Village, which is off Indian Hill Ave. off the 10 Fwy. There's a ton of stuff there, real cute and nicer. It's like 10 min from campus. otherwise I'd go for Chino Hills near the Chino Hills Spectrum or Rancho Cucamonga, but they're farther away from campus. Kinda a hard area to find something comfortable and nice....Pomona is kinda a crappy area period, but hey at least the Glasshouse is down the street!:)

Many people lived in Chino/Chino Hills, or in Claremont areas when I was a first year in 2001. I lived in Chino Hills and liked it a lot. Lived in Ontario 3rd, 4th year, and now in internship because its close to my hospital(s).

Has anyone else gotten their physical exam and vaccination records together yet? I'm working on it, and it's a bigger pain then I thought. Can't they just take a note from my doctor stating "She's fine"? :laugh:

Khenon said:
Has anyone else gotten their physical exam and vaccination records together yet? I'm working on it, and it's a bigger pain then I thought. Can't they just take a note from my doctor stating "She's fine"? :laugh:

Oh, hell yeah. I took 4 shots last Monday. They knocked me out on Tuesday and continued until yesterday. Today, I feel normal but the left hand is still hurt a little, but no more fever or cold. Thanks God. :scared:

Khenon said:

Where do you get the information on physical exam and vaccination stuff? I don't have any information what so ever. I did send in a deposit recently though.

Khenon said:

Just have to get a varicella titre drawn, then I will send all the papers to the school. I was lucky to have all my vaccination records from childhood in a convenient place.

congrats to all of you, looking forward to seeing fresh faces next year.

chino, la verne, san dimas, claremont, montclair are all nice places to live.

i like la verne and claremont a lot, theres lots of other private schools in these areas and the atmosphere is much nicer. anywhere you go in these places you are going to have lots of places to eat and many places to study like coffee shops.

insurance, anything but the university is my recommendation. i just hate paying for things upfront then doing paperwork to get my money back and for the same price you can get blue cross or something like that.

ISAC is nice, but your advantage is gone for sure since the curriculum has been changed. but its the only chance you are going to get to dissect an entire body without fear of killing the person, so why not take advantage of that fact. a draw back absolutely is the change in momentum, but it worked out for most ISACers. another draw back is the rest of the class makes fun of ISACer and ISACers make fun of IFACers, but its all fun and games. we integrate very well once back into the swing. Teaching it the second time around also is pretty fun.

the schedule is nice, the integration during systems (though not perfect) is pretty impressive. the exams are scary as hell since there's so much per each exam but i think its gonna prepare us better for boards. but that also means lower scores on exams since theres so much competition btw subjects.

pretty much every student meets his/her match in a course and will struggle in a few courses, thats pretty normal. in some classes you study for 10-12 hours a day and just pass, others you study 2 hours a day and get 99 percent. some people get 90's all time. but overall there is usually a 80 average in each class once curves kick in.

hope my comments help, and try to live it up before school starts!

Hi hotlikebutter,

Thank you for your advice. Now we have some love.

Dr. z: You can get it from COMP website. Download the Cirriculum PDF file. I don't know the original name because when I downloaded it, I changed the name. When you first open the file, it should show the cirriculum. Roll down a few pages, right above the ISAC section, you'll see it. You can give me your email, I'll attach it and send it to you.

N.

Members don't see this ad :)
NewNick said:
Hi hotlikebutter,

Thank you for your advice. Now we have some love.

Dr. z: You can get it from COMP website. Download the Cirriculum PDF file. I don't know the original name because when I downloaded it, I changed the name. When you first open the file, it should show the cirriculum. Roll down a few pages, right above the ISAC section, you'll see it. You can give me your email, I'll attach it and send it to you.

N.

Thanks. I still can't find it. I'll PM you my email.

Hi Folks,
Just wanted to say congrats to those of you who will be joining the class of 2010 at COMP. Also wanted to thank the current students (and maybe the occasional intern/resident alumni) who are still keeping up the tradition of helping the future generation by answering questions, offering advice, etc.

I have under two months left to graduate, so I'm almost on my way out of the door, but I'll still be here and there to offer my two cents.

melancholy said:
Hi Folks,
Just wanted to say congrats to those of you who will be joining the class of 2010 at COMP. Also wanted to thank the current students (and maybe the occasional intern/resident alumni) who are still keeping up the tradition of helping the future generation by answering questions, offering advice, etc.

I have under two months left to graduate, so I'm almost on my way out of the door, but I'll still be here and there to offer my two cents.

Thanks, melancholy. You're one of the best. :))

dr.z said:
Where do you get the information on physical exam and vaccination stuff? I don't have any information what so ever. I did send in a deposit recently though.
I called the admissions office and was transferred to a councelor. I had to leave a message that I didn't have the physical exam/vaccination info. She emailed me the attachments the next day.

Anyone know how much time we got off between 1st and 2nd year? I looked at the 2005-2006 academic calender and it looked like there's only a month for summer break. Is that true? That's not alot of time. :(

Is anyone here going to live at the Helix? Is anyone currently living there...
comments? suggestions?

housing around claremont/chino/pomona/etc. is pretty slim pickins right now...
craigslist has been weak lately, to say the least. Anybody know of some other resources for housing?

Khenon said:
Anyone know how much time we got off between 1st and 2nd year? I looked at the 2005-2006 academic calender and it looked like there's only a month for summer break. Is that true? That's not alot of time. :(
You should get a fair amount of time off between the first and second year, but not sure how much.. maybe 1.5 to over 2 months? I'm sure registrar's, student affairs, or maybe even admissions might be able to give you an idea.

Skooled2Much said:
housing around claremont/chino/pomona/etc. is pretty slim pickins right now...

I'm surprising you can't find much housing in those above-mentioned places. Are you in the area and calling various apartment complexes that you found on the internet or through one of those super-saver booklets you get at the local supermarket? Have you tried Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, Covina, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario?

Khenon said:

The MSI's this year are out Monday, June 5th (yup, a Monday final!) and resume school August 14th. The schedule for DO2010 is probably going to be very similar. The summer between 1st and 2nd year is shorter than in years past to give us more time next summer to study for boards (they made the first spring semester 22 weeks long and the 2nd spring semester 16 weeks, instead of both being 19 weeks long). DO2009 will be out the end of April/first of May 2007.

jenniemh said:
The MSI's this year are out Monday, June 5th (yup, a Monday final!) and resume school August 14th. The schedule for DO2010 is probably going to be very similar. The summer between 1st and 2nd year is shorter than in years past to give us more time next summer to study for boards (they made the first spring semester 22 weeks long and the 2nd spring semester 16 weeks, instead of both being 19 weeks long). DO2009 will be out the end of April/first of May 2007.
Thanks for the info jennie. A little over 2 months sounds a heck-of-alot better then 1 month! :D

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Western, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the new match list for this year... Thanks

Hey Newnick
Thanks guys! I'm still undecided because I got accepted to another great DO school (KCUMB). I like them both, but I'm from SoCal and COMP definitely wins if I choose to stay local. I'm the type of person that likes to venture out of my realm, but since I had no car (I totalled my car 2 years ago :thumbdown: ) I really didn't get around SoCal so maybe attending a school in Pomona will expose me to the LA area, instead of IE area. Also, we can have away fourth year rotations so that's pretty cool.
When are you meeting Dr. Z? I'll join you guys.

NewNick said:
Congrats!!!! Are you going to attend this school ? Sure ? Undecided ? Hey, if you're SoCal, please let me know. I plan to meet dr.z pretty soon. If you want to join us, welcome. Again, congrats for you acceptance. You must feel great. Party time ! :)

thirdclius said:
Hey Newnick
Thanks guys! I'm still undecided because I got accepted to another great DO school (KCUMB). I like them both, but I'm from SoCal and COMP definitely wins if I choose to stay local. I'm the type of person that likes to venture out of my realm, but since I had no car (I totalled my car 2 years ago :thumbdown: ) I really didn't get around SoCal so maybe attending a school in Pomona will expose me to the LA area, instead of IE area. Also, we can have away fourth year rotations so that's pretty cool.
When are you meeting Dr. Z? I'll join you guys.

That's cool. Give me your email, I'll send email to both of you to arrange the date. I plan to meet him this week (maybe next week is good), but don't know what he thinks because 2 weeks ago he told me that he was working on his thesis.

NewNick said:
That's cool. Give me your email, I'll send email to both of you to arrange the date. I plan to meet him this week (maybe next week is good), but don't know what he thinks because 2 weeks ago he told me that he was working on his thesis.

Either week is fine with me. Just give me at least one day notice.

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted to COMP DO c/o 2010! I'm from the Pomona area (Chino to be exact), so if anyone has questions about where to live or commutes, please feel free to contact me! I look forward to meeting you in August!

hey guys,

i'm from boston and am wondering what would be the best way to apartment hunt...i'm pretty sure i want to live in claremont or chino hills, but kind of want to see first....is there any sort of temp housing (YMCA?) while I look? Would anyone sublease for just june?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

also -
what's the scoop on Helix?... is it worth the cost? all one bedrooms sold out. only have 2 bedrooms for $1350. Has anyone been inside?
thanx!

Yes, I've been in there. It looks very new and clean (since it was built recently). It's like a few seconds walk from campus. I thought it was spacious enough, but you should think whether you want to live so near campus or if you'd rather live in nearby cities (which have nicer surrounding areas). I personally chose the Helix cuz I feel more comfortable close to campus. If you get a chance, you should check it out and other apts in nearby cities as well before deciding. Good luck :)

superseif said:
Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Western, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the new match list for this year... Thanks

Bump....anyone have the 2006 match list to post up?

JakeHarley said:
Bump....anyone have the 2006 match list to post up?

Talked to the secretary who is supposedly in charge of posting it. Our school has traditionally (not sure why) taken off the student names off the match list, so this editing will take another week or so to be done. Don't ask me why our school (or other DO schools) seem to take longer with match lists. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we have people matching to both AOA and ACGME programs? At any rate, they'll post it on the website eventually.

melancholy said:
Talked to the secretary who is supposedly in charge of posting it. Our school has traditionally (not sure why) taken off the student names off the match list, so this editing will take another week or so to be done. Don't ask me why our school (or other DO schools) seem to take longer with match lists. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we have people matching to both AOA and ACGME programs? At any rate, they'll post it on the website eventually.

Thanks for your time :thumbup: , I'll keep an eye out for it.

Hello All, my name is Keval. I am a 20 year old undergraduate student at Pitzer College. I am in a Linkage program with WUCOMP and pending my april mcat scores i will be attending COMP in fall 2006! nice to read that there are soo many people already getting to know each other. I live in claremont, CA so if anyone is in the area and would want to meet up, let me know!

keval - you're insane... i can't believe how early you're starting med school! damn gunners. anyway, welcome... i'm lookin' forward to meeting you.

also - jake... you mentioned visitng a decent indoor rock climbing gym - were you referring to 'hangar 18'? i can't seem to find any others closer to school.

yes, i am insane! just to catch up on some of the posts. i've been workin with cOMP staff and i don't think ISAC is necessary. With the new block scheduling, you will JUST be doing anatomy for the first few weeks, so just relax, and enjoy your summer . in terms of apartments, helix is pretty expensive; yet, it seems to be the most convenient. Is anyone still interested in splitting a 2 bedroom apartment in the helix complex? i've filled out some preliminary paperwork - let me know if you're interested!

kdkdshah said:
Hello All, my name is Keval. I am a 20 year old undergraduate student at Pitzer College. I am in a Linkage program with WUCOMP and pending my april mcat scores i will be attending COMP in fall 2006! nice to read that there are soo many people already getting to know each other. I live in claremont, CA so if anyone is in the area and would want to meet up, let me know!

Welcome, Kavel. I hope you can meet us. I already PM you. We plan to meet tonight.

Skooled2much said:
keval - you're insane... i can't believe how early you're starting med school! damn gunners. anyway, welcome... i'm lookin' forward to meeting you.

also - jake... you mentioned visitng a decent indoor rock climbing gym - were you referring to 'hangar 18'? i can't seem to find any others closer to school.

Yeah, I went and checked out Hangar 18...it looked like they had some decent bouldering anyway. Do you climb? I am hoping to get out once or twice to Joshua Tree, Red Rocks, and/or Bishop during my time in Southern California.

Hooray for newnick! thanks man... i've been trying to find a link like that forever.
Jake - yes, i'm a climber - novice... but very enthused about jt, rr, etc. I'm sure we'll have ample time over the next 4 years to hit a couple good walls.

kdkd - i'm also tempted to live at the helix. convenience vs. comfort.. it's rough one.... if the helix is over-priced AND in shabby-pomona, why aren't you actively seeking out places in claremont/chino?

NewNick said:

Is the matchlist incomplete? I numbered it in Word, and there's only 107 matches listed. Or are they only posting AMA residencies?

Also seems like the number of spots for specialties has gone down considerably if you take a look at match 2005/2004.

bananafish27 said:
Is the matchlist incomplete? I numbered it in Word, and there's only 107 matches listed. Or are they only posting AMA residencies?

Also seems like the number of spots for specialties has gone down considerably if you take a look at match 2005/2004.

People who match in IM or Ped doesn't count in specialty. However, they have potential to go into Sub-spec. Hell, but 4 people in Ortho is pretty good. :)

NewNick said:
People who match in IM or Ped doesn't count in specialty. However, they have potential to go into Sub-spec. Hell, but 4 people in Ortho is pretty good. :)

Bananafish - This list provided by TKim is one that a 4th year compiled based on email replies from the class of 2006 and so it is a very preliminary list. (Which is why it isn't complete) I'm guessing our school won't come out with a full list for another week or so.

Skooled2much said:
Hooray for newnick! thanks man... i've been trying to find a link like that forever.
Jake - yes, i'm a climber - novice... but very enthused about jt, rr, etc. I'm sure we'll have ample time over the next 4 years to hit a couple good walls.

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Congrats on getting into Western. I'm from DO2009 and I have some books for sale. If anyone is interested feel free to PM me.
Gracias & buena suerte!
:D

Hey friends -
you mentioned meeting up? is this still happening? I'm going to be flying out to L.A. (from detroit) to set up my housing situation. I'd love to get together if you're still on.
I'll be out there March 29 Wed. night (late) through tuesday morning April 4th.
... let me know the details...thanks - lookin' forward to meeting you..
- S2M

dr.z said:
Either week is fine with me. Just give me at least one day notice.

Skooled2much said:
Hey friends -
you mentioned meeting up? is this still happening? I'm going to be flying out to L.A. (from detroit) to set up my housing situation. I'd love to get together if you're still on.
I'll be out there March 29 Wed. night (late) through tuesday morning April 4th.
... let me know the details...thanks - lookin' forward to meeting you..
- S2M

I can meet you on Moday (April 3). Or Thurs (Mar 30), not so sure. Just let me know.

JakeHarley said:
Hello everyone, I am probably going to be joining you next fall, or next summer if I participate in ISAC.

I am also participating in the NWT, anyone else?

Moving to Southern California will be quite an adjustment for me, although I have a feeling I am going to love the weather--its rained something like 28 out of the last 30 days here in Seattle.

I am hoping to get out and do some climbing when I can, J-tree, Bishop, etc. I also checked out the climbing gym that's in the area, and it seemed pretty good. Would also like to get in the water and surf, go hiking, etc. Is there anyone else interested in this kind of stuff?

Take care,

Jake

PS:
<-------See the Joshua Trees in this picture? :) That was a climbing trip four years ago, and I've always wanted to go back and climb all the routes that I couldn't do then.

Yo Jake (or anyone)

Hope you stuck with Comp because im coming and am stoked to find someone who wants to take advantage of the active part of the So Cal scene. Just actually got back from Bishop...it was beautiful. well send me a line if your still in for some climbing. i need a roomate too.

Hey Jake also i just read your earlier note about looking for an area with like an actual town (and not like an Applebees claiming to be a town). Im looking for this too just so i dont get all depressed and there's at least like a coffee shop or something to go study at. Well im thinking that Pasadena might actually be good. I know it seems a bit further (and it is) than like upland or whatever...but I timed the commute. It's 25 minutes (even at "rush hour") because it's a reverse commute. Some of the people at my interview said that some but not many lived in Pasedena. BUT they also said that from chino and upland and stuff (all those east of Pomona) took like 20 minutes to get to school. So check pasadena out. it's way nicer and only like 5 or 7 minutes further than some of those other places.

somebody correct me if im wrong on this too.

k