COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lllangelicalll said:
Hey guys! Northwest Tracker from Seattle here. I got my acceptance letter today and just wanted to say hi to my future classmates. :)

YEAH NWT! I'm from Portland, I got my acceptance letter earlier this week :)

Members don't see this ad.

who ARE all these Northwesterner's haha ..it seems like everyone on here is in the northwest track program!! oh well, it doesn't effect me.

Dang it!!!

Too many cali/northwest people!!!

WE NEED MORE (insert state outside of pacific coast people)!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
why need people not from the pacific coast when you have cool people from california???

That's it, I'm starting a non-cali/northwest COMP thread ;)

did any of you see the "DO girls are hotter than MD girls" thread?? i thought that was hilarious...

kdkdshah said:
did any of you see the "DO girls are hotter than MD girls" thread?? i thought that was hilarious...

My interview group proved it. :love:

Hey hey...Northwest or not....we're all going to COMP! This thread needs some life! Come on people, get excited....you're going to med school! :D

Anyways, I'm in the process of hardcore house hunting. There are some really nice places in the area. I'm impressed! How are you guys doing? Any luck/final decisions?

Dr. K said:
Hey hey...Northwest or not....we're all going to COMP! This thread needs some life! Come on people, get excited....you're going to med school! :D

Anyways, I'm in the process of hardcore house hunting. There are some really nice places in the area. I'm impressed! How are you guys doing? Any luck/final decisions?

Where is everyone settling down? I've read through the list and it seems like it's pretty spread out... should we ask a current student which complex might be good for converting into COMP'10-land? We did that in college once... I think 12 out of the 16 apt's were friends in college.

Shoot... now I have to schedule a date to go out there again for the apt search/decision.

kdkdshah said:
who ARE all these Northwesterner's haha ..it seems like everyone on here is in the northwest track program!! oh well, it doesn't effect me.

Just FYI: you actually want to use affect not effect....

md10 said:
Just FYI: you actually want to use affect not effect....

Ding ding ding. We found our class grammar nazi!!!

hehehe.

Hey Kids, here is your token new englander...

just got my acceptance letter today. Its my first straight acceptance so I am wicked pumped let me tell you what.

Still waiting for some decisions but i might make the trek out to LALA land with you guys this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flyfisher said:
Hey Kids, here is your token new englander...

just got my acceptance letter today. Its my first straight acceptance so I am wicked pumped let me tell you what.

Still waiting for some decisions but i might make the trek out to LALA land with you guys this fall.

hey, i'm a bostonian too.....if you decide on COMP, we should get together for a chat!! :)

Do any of you LA or Cali locals have advice for us easterners, as far as where to look for apartments or what we'll have to get used to?

Flyfisher said:
Do any of you LA or Cali locals have advice for us easterners, as far as where to look for apartments or what we'll have to get used to?
I recommend the following cities as far as safety, comfort and proximity.

Chino Hills
Claremont
La Verne

If you guys look into an apartment complex called Missions at Chino Hills, they give residents $1,000 referral bonus and we can split that. Just PM me if you end up signing a lease there and you'll get 500 bucks. But they're pricey so you'll probably want a 3bdroom.

Helix across the street from school is very convenient but I don't trust my car there overnight. I've visited my classmate's place and it's nice inside though. Let me know if you have any other questions!

COMP MSI

COVINA, WEST COVINA, WALNUT, just west of the 10 freeway, very convenient, you go against traffic in the morning and coming back from school in the afternoon. I like it here so much, I'm going to stay even during my 3rd and 4th year rotations. You probably want a 2br to share with someone though because a 1bdr goes for about $950, but I'm married, so it works out :thumbup: Good luck!

1 room (with own Bathroom) in Chino Hills Town home available from June 5 to Aug 5. Perfect for you ISACers! $650 includes EVERYTHING (utilities, cable, internet)! Clean place, private garage, newly painted and new carpet. Nice neighborhood; quiet; superclose to grocery stores and fast food and gas stations. A nice escape from the wonderful world of Pomona.

I'm a 1st year and was an ISACer if you were wondering. Good luck to all and see you next year! Gotta go study now!

Please send me a private message if you are interested :)

jUx

Hey guys,

what plans are you going with?
The school mentioned that some of the students go with private healthcare plans outside the school's plan.
as I have no insurance right now (me= not too smart right now)
I'm just trying to shop around...

thanks! :D

emeraldcity said:
Hey guys,

what plans are you going with?
The school mentioned that some of the students go with private healthcare plans outside the school's plan.
as I have no insurance right now (me= not too smart right now)
I'm just trying to shop around...

thanks! :D

I'm going to look into it this week, so I'll post an update. I'm on Pacificare right now through work, so I'll call them up as well as some of the other places.

Hi there,

I am almost 100% sure that I will be Class of 2010 at COMP :) , but I am trying to figure out a few things before signing the dotted line...

Would someone tell me how they made/will make the move from the East Coast (or the MidWest, for that matter) to Pomona? I don't have much to ship - mainly clothes, etc and a few pieces of furniture. I'm going to buy a car wherever I end up, so driving would require me renting a van, etc (not entirely out of the question). I've heard about partial shipping and I've thought about just sending several boxes to my new address.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

And, BTW - just based on the people on this thread, the COMP Class of 2010 will be awesome!

Junkster said:
I'm going to look into it this week, so I'll post an update. I'm on Pacificare right now through work, so I'll call them up as well as some of the other places.

thanks for the help!

truckibear said:
You might want to look into Blue Shield of CA. This is their website: https://www.mylifepath.com/

They have individual plans that start around $35 a month. Good luck :)

thanks for the site!
can't wait to meet all of you in a few!

Where are our financial aid awards?! :mad:

Anyone else just feel really antsy about starting school in 3 months?

I'm getting all messed up thinking about how I need to get an apt out there, I haven't recieved my financial aid papers yet, I need to get health insurance for myself, trying to decide on the military option or not, seeing if I have time to go visit my grandmother in Korea before school, trying to patch up some money for the move and whatnot...

ARGH!!!

Hey guys, I just wanted to let my classmates know that I am going to change my SDN screen name and no longer use this one. I want to do this for two reasons:

1) For anonymity in the forums,

2) For a change of pace as I finally start medical school.

I'll post a again in a bit with my new account.

Later!

Junkster said:
Anyone else just feel really antsy about starting school in 3 months?

I'm getting all messed up thinking about how I need to get an apt out there, I haven't recieved my financial aid papers yet, I need to get health insurance for myself, trying to decide on the military option or not, seeing if I have time to go visit my grandmother in Korea before school, trying to patch up some money for the move and whatnot...

ARGH!!!

I'm feeling antsy to actually begin! :p

After reading the COMP thread about stats in the pre-osteo section, I think I'm going to have to start brushing up on my science courses again before school...

You know, get my 'gameface' on. :smuggrin:

Being out of school for four years sucks.

Junkster said:
After reading the COMP thread about stats in the pre-osteo section, I think I'm going to have to start brushing up on my science courses again before school...

You know, get my 'gameface' on. :smuggrin:

Being out of school for four years sucks.

yeah. been out of the studying loop for a year. trying to ease myself slowly into 24-7 study mode again.

You can be a gi-HUGIC dork like me, and get a head start on anatomy.
learn insertion points of musculature, skeletal landmarks, innervations...
oh my- i'm gettin' my nerd on :laugh:

emeraldcity said:
yeah. been out of the studying loop for a year. trying to ease myself slowly into 24-7 study mode again.

You can be a gi-HUGIC dork like me, and get a head start on anatomy.
learn insertion points of musculature, skeletal landmarks, innervations...
oh my- i'm gettin' my nerd on :laugh:

I was thinking about that anatomy class thing, but I promised my lab that Iwould finish up my project before heading out, plus I have to train someone to replace me.

Yea, getting my study habits back in order is going to be a toughie.

Hello fellow COMPsters!!! Just wanted to congratulate everyone who got accepted (including the NWT people but I still have to represent for my Cali peeps!!!) I hope everyone is getting some rest before August!!
Im sooooo excited and I just can't fight it!!! Class of 2010!!! LOL
:) > :D > :laugh:

Congrats to you all!!! I see Fish and Jennie are already helping out (and Jennie rocks my socks ;) ) but I also wanted to offer my assistance with any questions you might have (esp. commuting - I am the Commuting Queen of the 2009 class!) Jennie was dead on about the Netter's - it's something you will use again and again. Also, for anatomy, I'd like to suggest you get the Color Atlas of Anatomy (aka, the "Dead Body Book") - it's really helpful for those times when you can't make it to the lab.

Again, congrats, and best of luck to you all. :D

Junkster said:
I was thinking about that anatomy class thing, but I promised my lab that Iwould finish up my project before heading out, plus I have to train someone to replace me.

Yea, getting my study habits back in order is going to be a toughie.

See, at least you have been doing something slightly academically productive...
I have been working at a sushi restaurant. my job is to retrain the new hostess and bar servers...
huuuuuge mental stretch for me! :)

Hey...if any of u r living at the Helix next year or r considering it? Do u know if they provide ANY security for parking?? I've heard there r many auto break-ins in the Downtown Pomona area. Does anyone know someone living there currently? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanx.

emeraldcity said:
See, at least you have been doing something slightly academically productive...
I have been working at a sushi restaurant. my job is to retrain the new hostess and bar servers...
huuuuuge mental stretch for me! :)

Dang it... that's one of the two job-type I've yet to do on my list of 'random jobs'... wait staff and car salesmen. :D

Junkster said:
Dang it... that's one of the two job-type I've yet to do on my list of 'random jobs'... wait staff and car salesmen. :D

*haha*
well, on the plus side: we had to taste the new wines and sakes for the summer menu last night...
oh how tough my job is. :D

In evaluating COMP as a "good" school...
Do they match residents at "good" hospitals?... how are certain residency slots ranked over others?
for those students like DrCara and Fish... are you nervous about competing in match as a D.O.?
Does COMP offer "good" clinical rotations?

fyi - i'm not lookin' at FP and IM, i'm talking more towards EM and gen surg.
comments?
thanks!

emeraldcity said:
*haha*
well, on the plus side: we had to taste the new wines and sakes for the summer menu last night...
oh how tough my job is. :D

bluerose786 said:
Hey...if any of u r living at the Helix next year or r considering it? Do u know if they provide ANY security for parking?? I've heard there r many auto break-ins in the Downtown Pomona area. Does anyone know someone living there currently? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanx.

I don't think helix has any more apts available except for shared spots.
there is no security for cars, however, pomona PD does 24 hr surveillance... or so they say.
can't speak to break ins... but, it's pomona, so don't bring your brand new mini cooper.

Hey friends,

I just called Dr. Finley's office to inquire about the complete 2006 match results. The list, to be posted on the website, is still in the "to-do" pile and should be up on the website in "the next week or two."

So, its moving, but slowly.

Skooled: The only perceptible gauge I have for assessing the ease of obtaining difficult residencies relative to other schools is comparing match lists (DMU, KCUMB, CCOM, NYCOM, PCOM). What I have noticed is that while COMP does provide good residencies, it seems other schools have higher percentages of specialties and fewer going into FP/IM. One thought I have is that California residencies are extremely competetive and are sought after from a large number of graduates. I think that being in a less desireable location such as the midwest provides more opportunities for those vying for more competetive residencies, and I think there is a larger need for an applicant pool there. I have seen unfilled spots out there, too, while California's applicant pool is bulging/overflowing.

Skooled2much said:
In evaluating COMP as a "good" school...
Do they match residents at "good" hospitals?... how are certain residency slots ranked over others?
for those students like DrCara and Fish... are you nervous about competing in match as a D.O.?
Does COMP offer "good" clinical rotations?

fyi - i'm not lookin' at FP and IM, i'm talking more towards EM and gen surg.
comments?
thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

But if you choose to do the allopathic match, you can't do the osteo match at the same time, right?
You have to pick one or the other?

guess it depends whether you want to do an MD or DO residency...

Junkster said:

*haha* car salesman.
ohhh... New or Used???
that has to be a random job...
right up there with under-water basket-weaving? :D

emeraldcity said:
Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

But if you choose to do the allopathic match, you can't do the osteo match at the same time, right?
You have to pick one or the other?

guess it depends whether you want to do an MD or DO residency...

If you participate in the earlier osteo match, and match one of your ranked programs, then you are excluded from participating in the allo match.

If you do not match in the osteo match, say, you ranked one program and didn't match it, then you can particpate in the allo match.

You can also decide to skip the osteo match and participate in the allo match.

That's my understanding anyway.

emeraldcity said:
*haha* car salesman.
ohhh... New or Used???
that has to be a random job...
right up there with under-water basket-weaving? :D

I'm thinking about taking up a either a car salesman or waiter during the summer of my first year. :laugh:

Junkster said:
I'm thinking about taking up a either a car salesman or waiter during the summer of my first year. :laugh:

car salesman.
everyone's a freakin' server...
go out on a limb! :D

Does anyone know how feasible it is to do all of 3rd and 4th year rotations in the Los Angeles area? And by "area" I mean all of San Bernardino, Loma Linda . . . even San Diego isn't too bad.