Complaint About Testing Center Distraction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chevelle1969

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey premeds, curious to see if I could pick some brains about what to do about worst testing situation I have ever experienced. Now before anyone goes and says you should have been prepared for distractions, and I completely understand see people talking about distractions like "oh the proctor was loud af", and "my neighbor was leaning on the keyboard mashing keys". However this distraction was out of anyone's control.

So, I had taken the MCAT for the THIRD time yesterday August 19th in hopes to finally be done with this grueling exam. I signed up to take in on the 23rd floor on a building off of Lasalle, relatively close to the lake (this will be important later). I arrive at the testing early and begin my exam rocking and rolling through c/p. I get to through the CARS section and still feeling this great momentum. After I finished my CARS I took my 30 min break. When I came back to start by bio/bio chem the building was vibrating and the glass started to shake and the roaring sound went by. I'm not talking about some 737 a mile high in the air. Like 4 or 5 blue angels fighter jets streaming through the city of Chicago from the air and water show. I face palmed so hard. Out of all the days. If anyone thinks that headphones, even the over the head ones, can mask this sound they clearly have never seen these puppies in action.

I had never been so distracted while taking a test before. I was going to void my exam and take it as soon as this Thursday. However, I was skeptical to voiding because I did not know the rules about how soon you can retake it after. I inquired the proctors about retaking the MCAT or any information, needless to say they were no help. The real issue is I am applying for this cycle and I didn't know if you had to wait like a month before retaking it but then it would be too late because they don't offer the MCAT a month from yesterday. I didn't end up voiding my exam, but I did look up the proper information and there are no stipulations that I can't take it as soon as I want. I know I can complain about the testing center conditions but I wanted to know would it be worth it. I am not asking for a refund or points added to my exam, I just want to retake it as soon as possible and being able to void my old score. Additionally, if the AAMC was unable to remove my most recent test score, how bad would it look to take it again and receive a substantially better score (4th time). I appreciate the time anyone has taken to read my long winded story.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Omg I was literally thinking as I watched that show, "wow it would really suck if someone was taking their MCAT during this lol." I feel terrible for you. Taking the exam for a 4th time isn't a great idea. I think I've read somewhere that some schools won't accept 4 exams? Could be wrong. I don't think you can void your score afte the fact. You probably did a lot better than you think!

Reactions: 1 user
you have to wait 48 hours before you can schedule the next exam.

I'm sorry to hear the fighter jets were "playing" at the time you were testing.:(

As for the 4th exam, find out how many you've taken in last 2 years; I believe you're only allowed 3... if true, you can't sit again until next year.

Thanks for the reply guys!
The first time I took the exam was May 21st 2016, right after graduating college like an idiot, earning myself a rightfully so 491. The second time I took it was September 11th 2016, earning a 497. In my practice AAMC FL exams I had made a substational improvement and was earning 509 on both of them just before this most recent exam. I just don't want this to ruin my chances to get into medical school. I am doing a Masters of Arts in biomedical science at Midwestern for the next 9 months so I am just trying to do the best I can do and I feel like I'm about to break.

Members don't see this ad :)
@chevelle1969 - I think you need to call the AAMC on Monday and talk to them about this and ask specifically, about the 3 exams. My concern is that if I'm right about 3 in 2 years, the 2 in 2016 + the one in 2017 will be your 3 and you won't be able to sit again until next year.

AS an aside from that: if you have to wait a year, spin that positively. You will know for sure what you got instead of potentially throwing another $365 at the exam (it goes up due to late registration fees).

Hey premeds, curious to see if I could pick some brains about what to do about worst testing situation I have ever experienced. Now before anyone goes and says you should have been prepared for distractions, and I completely understand see people talking about distractions like "oh the proctor was loud af", and "my neighbor was leaning on the keyboard mashing keys". However this distraction was out of anyone's control.

So, I had taken the MCAT for the THIRD time yesterday August 19th in hopes to finally be done with this grueling exam. I signed up to take in on the 23rd floor on a building off of Lasalle, relatively close to the lake (this will be important later). I arrive at the testing early and begin my exam rocking and rolling through c/p. I get to through the CARS section and still feeling this great momentum. After I finished my CARS I took my 30 min break. When I came back to start by bio/bio chem the building was vibrating and the glass started to shake and the roaring sound went by. I'm not talking about some 737 a mile high in the air. Like 4 or 5 blue angels motherf***n fighter jets streaming through the city of Chicago from the air and water show. I face palmed so hard. Out of all the days. If anyone thinks that headphones, even the over the head ones, can mask this sound they clearly have never seen these puppies in action.

I had never been so distracted while taking a test before. I was going to void my exam and take it as soon as this Thursday. However, I was skeptical to voiding because I did not know the rules about how soon you can retake it after. I inquired the proctors about retaking the MCAT or any information, needless to say they were no help. The real issue is I am applying for this cycle and I didn't know if you had to wait like a month before retaking it but then it would be too late because they don't offer the MCAT a month from yesterday. I didn't end up voiding my exam, but I did look up the proper information and there are no stipulations that I can't take it as soon as I want. I know I can complain about the testing center conditions but I wanted to know would it be worth it. I am not asking for a refund or points added to my exam, I just want to retake it as soon as possible and being able to void my old score. Additionally, if the AAMC was unable to remove my most recent test score, how bad would it look to take it again and receive a substantially better score (4th time). I appreciate the time anyone has taken to read my long winded story.

I would suggest you file the test complaint immediately since you only have like 48 hours to do so after your exam I believe. Explain the situation and your request. There is nothing wrong with filing the report and AAMC usually handles it well. I don't know if you will be able to void the previous score (that's very rare), but it doesn't hurt to try!

Thank you, I filed a report and uploaded it to AAMC. I said along the lines that this distraction hindered my ability to do my best. So we will see but I will also give them a phone call tomorrow. Thanks for quick reply guys, life doesn't always go the way you want it too, but I am trying to make the best of it.

@chevelle1969 - I think you need to call the AAMC on Monday and talk to them about this and ask specifically, about the 3 exams. My concern is that if I'm right about 3 in 2 years, the 2 in 2016 + the one in 2017 will be your 3 and you won't be able to sit again until next year.

AS an aside from that: if you have to wait a year, spin that positively. You will know for sure what you got instead of potentially throwing another $365 at the exam (it goes up due to late registration fees).

3 in one testing year, total of 4 over two years, total of 7 in a lifetime. according to MCAT essentials on the AAMC site.

Reactions: 1 user