completing degree before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

todds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i just needed some help,

i was reading on some websites that a lot of schools like it if u complete a undergrad degree before marticulation... i was wondering whether a 3year degree - 90 credits, would be sufficient and do they treat ppl who are going to get a degree differently than ppl who aren't

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

90 credits is sufficient from the standpoint that it is the minimum that schools require for matriculation.

Do they treat you differently, not directly or openly. The tricky part comes when comparing your application against somebody who has earned a degree. The vast majority of applicants AND matriculants have degrees, so dental schools will put your application in a different boat when weighing it against the majority of other applicants. Whether or not that boat will be extremely or only minimally detrimental to your gaining acceptance will vary from school to school.

Is there a pressing reason why you can't earn a degree? If you are a mere one year away from it, then I'd go for it. It WILL bolster your application as well as give you something to perhaps fall back on should school not work out.

^^ thanks for the info

i can earn my degree.. a regualr Bsc in 3 years
but is a 4 year degree (honors) better?

Members don't see this ad :)
todds, I agree with itsgavin, it definately boosts up your app and its important you have something to fall back on...as whether you have a degree or not by matriculation, as long as you have a BSC, I don't think it should be a problem. I'm confused though.....generally you need 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours for a BSC...im talking generally here...so if you finished in three years instead of four, I'm assuming you used all three summers? unless you can actually get a degree with less hours maybe? not so sure, but if its a BS, its a BS, whether it took you one year or four years...i still am confused though:)

If you have the min reqs (usually 90 hrs) and are itching to go to dental school now, go ahead and apply. The worst that could happen is you don't get in the first time, and you can apply next year with your honors degree or whatever. Although, I'm confused also. Never heard of a degree you can earn with 90 hrs. I do think that committees give more weight to a student with a degree (120 hrs) than without. But I wouldn't let that stop you.

As an aside, I'd recommend staying in college for 1 more year. This is your last chance to take some classes you're interested in and relax/have fun.

Good luck.

What about students who are going to get their degree? Say, apply now, but earn their degree in May 05?

Missserica said:
What about students who are going to get their degree? Say, apply now, but earn their degree in May 05?
That's just fine. Adcoms expect a lot of those applications. List all the coursework you anticipate taking between now and graduation, and then you'll just have to provide updated transcripts as you complete each semester of classwork.

aphistis said:
That's just fine. Adcoms expect a lot of those applications. List all the coursework you anticipate taking between now and graduation, and then you'll just have to provide updated transcripts as you complete each semester of classwork.

Exactly. You beat me to it.

DDSSlave said:
If you have the min reqs (usually 90 hrs) and are itching to go to dental school now, go ahead and apply. The worst that could happen is you don't get in the first time, and you can apply next year with your honors degree or whatever. Although, I'm confused also. Never heard of a degree you can earn with 90 hrs. I do think that committees give more weight to a student with a degree (120 hrs) than without. But I wouldn't let that stop you.

As an aside, I'd recommend staying in college for 1 more year. This is your last chance to take some classes you're interested in and relax/have fun.

Good luck.

Yeah, I got accepted last year with 92 hours. I didn't complete my B.S. and honestly, I don't give a damn. class of 08 baby:D

i dont think 90 hrs is the same as 90 credits i dunno. Actually I'm a Canadian Student going to York University

in 3 years = 90 credits = completing about 15 full courses, I can get a regular Bachelors of Science here

in 4 years = 120 credits = completing about 20 full courses, I can get an Honors degree

i dont know how the credit system works really in teh states so i hope this clears it up :thumbup:

todds said:
i dont think 90 hrs is the same as 90 credits i dunno. Actually I'm a Canadian Student going to York University

in 3 years = 90 credits = completing about 15 full courses, I can get a regular Bachelors of Science here

in 4 years = 120 credits = completing about 20 full courses, I can get an Honors degree

i dont know how the credit system works really in teh states so i hope this clears it up :thumbup:

Actually, that doesn't clear it up at all. What is the definition of a "full course"? That would obviously be something different than a single class, but I'm not sure what. Methinks it is a group of classes that comprise a course?

ItsGavinC said:
Actually, that doesn't clear it up at all. What is the definition of a "full course"? That would obviously be something different than a single class, but I'm not sure what. Methinks it is a group of classes that comprise a course?

A full course over here at York University = a course taken from September and run through until April...that course is worth 6 credits

I dont know how that is interpreted over there in the States... I will be completing 2 years worth of course work this upcoming year (which is 60 credits) and would like to apply next summer for dental school..Sept. 2006 admission...So my original question was that if completing a 3 year degree by May 2006 is sufficent enough for the undergrad degree that some schools mite want

sorry for all the confusion

Its worth a shot! I wouldnt waste a year of your life to bolster your application, I got in with 93 credits, and if your stats are good it shouldnt be a problem. The extra year to finish your degree should be what you fall back on if you dont get in to help you the next year. I am so glad I didnt waste that extra year working on my bachelors. I am now a DS3 with only two years left and the first boards behind me instead of a being a DS2 staring into the hardest year of my life. And if you get in early you will say the same thing your third year of dental school.

My health professions advisor at my undergraduate school laughed at the thought that I was going to apply early. He said that you should just finish your degree its only a year more and will make you that much better an applicant. I think this mentality is really stupidity. Advisors forget that a year is a long time, many of them are more worried about their schools acceptance rate(so they look like great advisors) and less worried about the individuals they are supposed to help.