Computer Questions for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j0hnny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want a Mac Book Pro for dental school. Can I justify spending nearly 1800 on a computer? Are any of you buying Macs or expensive computers? Does my crappy Compaq do the job just fine?

Members don't see this ad.

I want a Mac Book Pro for dental school. Can I justify spending nearly 1800 on a computer? Are any of you buying Macs or expensive computers? Does my crappy Compaq do the job just fine?

Indulge on yourself. You got into dental school. A bunch of nerds on the internet shouldn't influence your decision on your own money. I have a macbook pro and love it, will never go back to PC.

Indulge on yourself. You got into dental school. A bunch of nerds on the internet shouldn't influence your decision on your own money. I have a macbook pro and love it, will never go back to PC.
Same. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions for the Macbook Pro? Should I just go ahead and get the 17"? Or any extras that are a must-have?

Just make sure your school doesn't require you to get a specific one or to get one from them before you buy! A lot of schools do that...

I suggest going with a Macbook Pro also. I have the 2009 unibody 15" and it's been nothing but amazing since I got it in November '09. I would not recommend going bigger (17") because that is a pretty large and cumbersome laptop to be lugging around... although they are typically lighter than a comparably sized PC laptop. Going smaller might not be a bad idea because that would be very easy to take around, but it does limit your screen space. I like the 15" because it's big enough to feel natural and still very light and fits easily into a backpack. The keyboards on all the models, however, are the same size so you won't get a smaller/bigger keyboard either way.

Yes, a Macbook Pro with the same specs as a PC will typically be a few hundred dollars more, but having been a PC user since I was a kid (got a Compaq desktop for my 6th grade 'graduation' haha), it really is night and day between a PC and a Mac and my Mac worth every penny. Plus, check local universities for student sales... I got my Macbook Pro 15" model (typically $1699) for only $1250. Apple also has standard ~$100 discounts for their higher priced items like the Macbook Pro.

If you decide you want a Macbook Pro, wait a few months. There is strong speculation that they will be giving the Macbook Pro line a significant upgrade in the next couple of months.

I agree with most people on getting a Mac. I love my macbook pro. I have the 13" screen and I rarely have felt that the screen was too small. The computer is also really easy to tote around. I took it on all 7 of my interviews across the country and it slipped right into the front pocket of my carryon. I will never buy another PC again after using a Mac.

But once again, make sure that you're specific school doesn't make you purchase a specific PC.

Just make sure your school doesn't require you to get a specific one or to get one from them before you buy! A lot of schools do that...
2nd. My acceptance packet had a form I had to sign saying I comply with the computer requirements.

I suggest going with a Macbook Pro also. I have the 2009 unibody 15" and it's been nothing but amazing since I got it in November '09. I would not recommend going bigger (17") because that is a pretty large and cumbersome laptop to be lugging around... although they are typically lighter than a comparably sized PC laptop. Going smaller might not be a bad idea because that would be very easy to take around, but it does limit your screen space. I like the 15" because it's big enough to feel natural and still very light and fits easily into a backpack. The keyboards on all the models, however, are the same size so you won't get a smaller/bigger keyboard either way.

Yes, a Macbook Pro with the same specs as a PC will typically be a few hundred dollars more, but having been a PC user since I was a kid (got a Compaq desktop for my 6th grade 'graduation' haha), it really is night and day between a PC and a Mac and my Mac worth every penny. Plus, check local universities for student sales... I got my Macbook Pro 15" model (typically $1699) for only $1250. Apple also has standard ~$100 discounts for their higher priced items like the Macbook Pro.

If you decide you want a Macbook Pro, wait a few months. There is strong speculation that they will be giving the Macbook Pro line a significant upgrade in the next couple of months.

Thanks for the info guys. When did you get a hold of that sale? Where should I look for "student sales"?

I'm not sure about getting any current model macbooks from a school sale (they're usually just older models the school is trying to get rid of). The apple online store has an education version that shows all the education pricing.

Ican secondthe comment made regarding the macbook pro update. It's expected for this line to get an update very soon, so I wouldn't be purchasing one of these until the new ones are out. I'd guess we'll be hearing something more about them once the iPad launches...Seriously, though, if you buy a macbook pro now, it'll be an "old" model in a few short months, if not sooner.

For the student sales, just check with large college campuses nearby. At OU back on November 19, 2009, they sold a LOT of different computer products (brand new 2009 unibody Macbook Pro models for $300-500 off as well as older models at an even greater discount). I did have to wait in line 2 hours :eek: to get in... OU has its own technology store where students can buy very common electronics (most popular laptops, some cameras and software, etc.) and that's where they had the sale. It was publicized for a few months before it happened so it was a mad house.

The sale I went to was open to the public so it was pretty insane... just keep your eyes peeled! But wait a couple months before you make a move... they'll be getting upgraded soon.

If you really need a computer now, get it now. Any upgrade is only going to be "Under the hood," a bump in processing speed. For what you will likely be using it for, this won't really matter much as the current gen is pretty quick. As far as size, I went from a 15.4" Vaio PC to a 13" Macbook 4 yrs ago. My wife now uses that one, and I'm on my 2nd 13" Macbook (unibody aluminum). The screen size is just fine for me and I LOVE the portability. I used to despise Apple (before I used one), but now I'm a huge fan and will never go back to PC. I loathe using the PC's in clinic at school.

I had a 13'' macbook throughout college, and absolutely loved it. When I found out I got into dental school, I decided to indulge a bit and get a 15'' macbook pro. I've had it for about two months, and must say that it is awesome.

If I were doing it again, I'd likely get the 13'' model MBP, though, just for the cost. It is like $500 to go with the larger screen (a few other things come with the 15'' too that you don't get with the 13''). I don't really think that the difference is gigantic enough to justify the cash. However, I have friends who have been in the same situation as me and swear by the 15'' over the 13''.

Long story short, mac's are awesome. I bet within the next few minutes some tool will start talking crap about how macbooks are overpriced, blah blah blah... but whatever. It is obvious that mac's are considerably more expensive, but they are also considerably better computers.

The thing that is so great about macs is this: in regular computers the software is made by Windows and the hardware is made by whatever company (Dell, Compaq, HP, whatever). Everything in the computer is genericly made to fit within the requirements of the windows software. In Macs, both the software and hardware are made by Apple, so there is a synchrony that is simply unparalelled in other computer systems. Programs work better, have better flow, are more simple and learning how to use them is honestly based off of common sense, not abstract windows rhetoric.