Computer Science and Pre-Med, worried about my grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cordellt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm currently finishing up my fall semester of my sophomore year. I've only become interested in pursuing a medical career recently and am starting to look into the process and how I want to approach it. But before I even begin to traverse down this path, do I even have a shot?

I'm currently majoring in Computer Science and Engineering. I've taken the following courses and received the following grades thus far:

Gen Chem I - B
Trig - B+
Intro to Programming - A
Physics I - C+
Calc I - C+

I've also taking other courses for my major and received mainly A's, as well as English/Writing courses and received A's as well. Over this past summer I took Calc II at another university while I was home for the summer and received a D+. Because of the way my university operates, and because this was a transfer credit, I was able to accept the D+ without it showing up on my current university's transcript and move onto Calc III, which I am currently taking (in which I am doing MUCH better than in II) as well as two more computer science courses. I was enrolled in Physics II but ended up withdrawing (there IS a W on my transcript) in order to try again next semester.

Please know that my current program requires me to take math up to and including Calc IV as well as some form of statistics, and my grades will certainly have an upward trend in mathematics.

So, my first question would be, given my current record of grades (and attempted grades) do I even have a shot at getting into medical school, let alone getting my MD? I know I'll have to submit my transcripts from my current university as well as the one at which I took Calc II (sending them a D+!!).

Secondly, would it be a good idea to fill all of my pre-med requirements while still obtaining a major in computer science? If getting into medical school is still part of my future then I will also consider dropping down to an information systems major just to preserve my sanity.

My school is a little fuzzy on their class re-take policy, but I do know that I CANNOT take the Calc II transfer off of my transcript, but I'm unsure if I can re-take the class and have it show up twice. I'll probably re-take Calc I as well, if possible, and maybe even Physics I if I have the time. I also have to take my Gen Chem I Lab (it wasn't required when I started this major) and I'm not sure if I can do that without repeating the lecture.

I'm all for putting in the work that this will require, but given my current state of affairs, should I be worried, let alone even trying?

I appreciate the advice and kind words, really just trying to figure things out right now.

P.S. I'm not sure if this matters, but my school currently requires CS students to complete three co-op rotations (a.k.a. three paid semester-long internships) in order to get their degree. I've got my first one lined up for next fall.

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools do grade replacement but if you continue with CS you are likely going to continue to encounter tough courses which will deflate your GPA. Everyone says "do what you love, your major doesn't matter," which is true to the extent that you get the same GPA regardless of your major choice. However, if you really want to get into med school and that means picking a 3.0 in CS over a 4.0 in Bio, your chances at med school will be much higher with 4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were to start getting straight A's now, I think your GPA would be fine in the end. Do you think you are capable of getting A's in this type of classes? If not, you would be better off changing programs if you're quite sure of medicine as your goal career. (But you want to be honest about your ability to that too.) It's a much easier road if you don't have to worry about making up 4 years of bad grades, vs 1 or 2 semesters.

I can';t sugar coat this, this pattern is piss poor. That said, if you start acing things from now on, you should be OK. The median GPA for MD school matriculants is 3.7. I't s~3.4 for DO students. The latter can replace poor grades with new and better ones.

But if you can't handle these classes, how on earth will you survive medical school??????

So, my first question would be, given my current record of grades (and attempted grades) do I even have a shot at getting into medical school, let alone getting my MD? I know I'll have to submit my transcripts from my current university as well as the one at which I took Calc II (sending them a D+!!).

Adcoms don't care about your major or minor, only that you do well.
Secondly, would it be a good idea to fill all of my pre-med requirements while still obtaining a major in computer science? If getting into medical school is still part of my future then I will also consider dropping down to an information systems major just to preserve my sanity.

You can retake classes anywhere for med school admissions.
My school is a little fuzzy on their class re-take policy, but I do know that I CANNOT take the Calc II transfer off of my transcript, but I'm unsure if I can re-take the class and have it show up twice. I'll probably re-take Calc I as well, if possible, and maybe even Physics I if I have the time. I also have to take my Gen Chem I Lab (it wasn't required when I started this major) and I'm not sure if I can do that without repeating the lecture.