Computer science lab for pre-med research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oozmakappa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would working in a computer science lab (as opposed to a traditional biomedical/biology/chemistry lab) hurt my chances of getting into medical school?

I know that research experience is an important component of the pre-med résumé, but, since I'm majoring in computer science, I was wondering if working in a computer science research lab would count towards that experience. If the research experience doesn't have to be traditional bio/chem work, I want to work in a computer science lab because I'd still like to be a strong candidate for computer science jobs and/or grad school if medicine doesn't work out. Otherwise, I guess I could try working in 2 labs -- one medicine-related and one computer science -- so I can be prepared for both medicine and computer science (especially since I'm not yet completely decided on which route I want to go).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, HybridEarth!

Do you mean "no, computer science lab won't count towards pre-med research experience" or "no, working in a computer science lab won't hurt med school chances" ? (I guess the title of my thread and the bolded text in my original post kind of ask opposite questions, so that's my fault, sorry...)

Members don't see this ad :)
no it won't hurt you. My comp sci research was the highlight for many med school interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha I meant no in response to your bolded question. Speaking from experience because I was in a similar boat when I applied - the interviewers seemed fascinated by it. I think it stands out personally. It will only help you, never hurt you (unless you have no idea how to explain the work you do in layman's terms).

Reactions: 1 user
You can combine both of the fields as well. I know several friends, who did bioinformatics reach. You will still be able to practice programming, while go into biology.

Reactions: 1 user
CS is one of the best fields for medical research prep right now. Bioinformatics, computational biology, genetics—you name a field, and I can guarantee people use computers to supplement data output and analysis.

Reactions: 4 users
Would working in a computer science lab (as opposed to a traditional biomedical/biology/chemistry lab) hurt my chances of getting into medical school?

Hi oozmakappa, i'm a senior in high school and i'm planning on doing pre med and being a computer science major so I was just wondering how that's working out for you. Is there a lot of math involved? Is it difficult to manage doing both, including MCAT?

Hi oozmakappa, i'm a senior in high school and i'm planning on doing pre med and being a computer science major so I was just wondering how that's working out for you. Is there a lot of math involved? Is it difficult to manage doing both, including MCAT?

that user hasnt been around for a year so idk if they will reply but I'll try to answer ur Q:

Major in w,e you want in Undergrad, preferably something you enjoy and can do reasonably well in. If that's CS, then go for it; cs has the added benefit that it is highly employable if you go to a decent program, at least at the moment.

CS majors tend to take math, but usually not as much as Physics or Math majors themselves. Typical CS courses will use a lot of concepts from linear algebra, statistics. If you want to get deeper into CS theory and more advanced topics you might have to learn some higher math, but that will be totally on you.

How hard something is depends on the person. I have friends who found CS incredibly difficult, others found that it was a lot of work but not particularly hard.

Ideally, you will find some time to carve out to just focus on the MCAT because it deserves your full attention and I dont recommend doing it "simultaneously" with courses. People succeed with that method, but even then I think they couldve done just as well if not much better by taking the time off; lots of people cant manage that, but undergrads can usually find a time where they arent taking any other classes (such as the summer) and can focus on MCAT study (even if ur working, working and studying full-time exhaust you in different ways). Not something you should be worrying about in high school tho.