confused about AMCAS, please help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very confused on how the whole AMCAS process goes so please forgive me:) I am taking the MCAT on the 27th of May, and I need to submit as soon as possible (low GPA so I want to get all my stuff in fast). I was wondering if I should/can submit my transcripts, do my essays, etc before scores are out for the test? I will be applying to the same schools reguardless of my score so that is not an issue. Just wondering if I should wait till I have everything or not? Do the MCAT scores go directly to AMCAS? Does it work the same for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say to get everything together as soon as you can. send your transcripts a few weeks before you want to submit. it takes them a while to process.

you can work on amcas and even submit it while waiting for scores. MCAT scores go directly to AMCAS. you don't have to worry about that.

not sure how DO schools work. maybe check the pre-osteo forum for a FAQ sticky. that might explain it.

The AACOMAS can work the same way. You do however have to tell AMCAS that you want your scores sent there. You can do it electronically or call them up. However, I would worry more about your AMCAS than your AACOMAS becuase it's more advantagous for you to get your AMCAS in earlier than your AACOMAS. That's not to say that you shouldn't get your AACOMAS in early; it's just that the AMCAS (if I remember correctly) opens up earlier than the AACOMAS and it would just be better to get that one in earlier since more people apply via the AMCAS and therefore, if you wait long enough you will be in a long queue to get verified. I got my AMCAS in by July 4th and got all my secondaries done by September and found myself having an easier time hearing back from schools well before most people.

On the other hand, I started my AACOMAS in August and had all my DO secondaries in by mid-September and had my acceptances well before Christmas. So get both in early but first get the AMCAS in and then the AACOMAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AACOMAS can work the same way. You do however have to tell AMCAS that you want your scores sent there. You can do it electronically or call them up. However, I would worry more about your AMCAS than your AACOMAS becuase it's more advantagous for you to get your AMCAS in earlier than your AACOMAS. That's not to say that you shouldn't get your AACOMAS in early; it's just that the AMCAS (if I remember correctly) opens up earlier than the AACOMAS and it would just be better to get that one in earlier since more people apply via the AMCAS and therefore, if you wait long enough you will be in a long queue to get verified. I got my AMCAS in by July 4th and got all my secondaries done by September and found myself having an easier time hearing back from schools well before most people.

On the other hand, I started my AACOMAS in August and had all my DO secondaries in by mid-September and had my acceptances well before Christmas. So get both in early but first get the AMCAS in and then the AACOMAS.

Sorry I have to tell AMCAS that I want my scores sent to AACOMAS? Didnt quite follow that part. Or is there something on the MCAT test that asks if you want your scores sent to AMCAS, AACOMAS, or both? And just to get this straight, I can submit my transcripts to be verified and everthing else, and then hit SUBMIT when my MCAT scores are in, or before and then the MCAT scores will get verified on there own? Sorry for all the questions, I know most already know this stuff:)

I don't know anything about DO schools, but in terms of the AMCAS application, you can submit transcripts and fill it out and submit it before receving your MCAT scores. Your scores will be automatically loaded into the application as soon as they are available. You can submit the AMCAS on June 1st and when your scores come out in late June, this will be updated on your application.

I don't know anything about DO schools, but in terms of the AMCAS application, you can submit transcripts and fill it out and submit it before receving your MCAT scores. Your scores will be automatically loaded into the application as soon as they are available. You can submit the AMCAS on June 1st and when your scores come out in late June, this will be updated on your application.

oh ok thanks...so does AMCAS send your apps to schools after the MCAT scores are in or before they are in and then they resend it as things get updated (like MCAT scores coming in)?

Sorry I have to tell AMCAS that I want my scores sent to AACOMAS? Didnt quite follow that part. Or is there something on the MCAT test that asks if you want your scores sent to AMCAS, AACOMAS, or both? And just to get this straight, I can submit my transcripts to be verified and everthing else, and then hit SUBMIT when my MCAT scores are in, or before and then the MCAT scores will get verified on there own? Sorry for all the questions, I know most already know this stuff:)

Sorry dreams - I wasn't clear. During the exam, you will have an option to submit your test score to AMCAS. However, if you want to submit to AACOMAS, go here: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/sendscores/start.htm and you sign in and send your scores to AACOMAS. Does that make more sense?

oh ok thanks...so does AMCAS send your apps to schools after the MCAT scores are in or before they are in and then they resend it as things get updated (like MCAT scores coming in)?

I don't think they can submit anything to a school without the application having everything it needs. Furthermore, schools won't really touch your application without it being complete.

I don't think they can submit anything to a school without the application having everything it needs. Furthermore, schools won't really touch your application without it being complete.

Yeah, it won't be released to them until the MCAT scores are given. I think they provide schools with the names of people applying before sending complete applications, though, letting them send you their secondaries. So if you get everything in and ready for review and are just waiting on the MCAT, you still might be able to get started on some of the secondaries.

Either way... start early! I slacked off by letting myself marginalize the advantage early application gives you, when I should have been more appreciative of any edge I could get.

When entering coursework into AMCAS, are we supposed to list the full name of the course as it is listed in the school's record or how it appears on our transcript?

How exactly do we send in the transcripts? Stupid question, I know. I've just heard different stories. One is that you get it from your school and have it sent directly to AMCAS. The other being that you have to fill out some transcript request form on the AMCAS and they send it to your school, which sends back your transcript. Sounds like a round about way of doing things.

How exactly do we send in the transcripts? Stupid question, I know. I've just heard different stories. One is that you get it from your school and have it sent directly to AMCAS. The other being that you have to fill out some transcript request form on the AMCAS and they send it to your school, which sends back your transcript. Sounds like a round about way of doing things.

AMCAS doesn't submit any request. they provide you with a cover sheet to send to your school when you request the transcripts. your school will then attach the AMCAS cover sheet to your documents so that AMCAS can easily identify you and attach the transcript to your file.

i faxed it to my school with my request, so i didn't lose any time.