This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.NigerianQueen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(This is my first time posting so I am not sure if this is the right forum. Please redirect me if I’m wrong)
I am going into my last semester of undergrad (will graduate May 2020). I have several questions I wanted to ask.
Quick Stats Overview
- URM (AA)
- cgpa (rn) = 3.38 (will explain below)
-sgpa (rn) = 3.1
- have been volunteering at a local hospital for 2 years now.
- 1 full year of undergrad research
- leadership role of a club (volunteer coordinator)
- will be doing clinical job (CNA) all of next semester and the following summer
............... Questions................
- Grades: my sophomore was the WORST year ever. Due to personal reasons my gpa dropped to a 3.3. After that, I have a very strong upward trend my junior year. (Straight As) until this past semester my senior year. I got a C- and a C in two courses. I am honestly so disappointed. Most of the grades in those two classes I did well in but the finals brought me down significantly.
- After finals this semester my cgpa dropped significantly from 3.48 to 3.38. If I retake the C- that I got, I will still only graduate with a 3.52 cgpa. (When I was hoping to graduate with a 3.6) If I don’t retake it. I will graduate with (the highest possible) a 3.48. Is it worth retaking?
- I am already planning on taking a gap year and completing a post bacc or masters’ during the gap year. But at this rate I don’t think I will be able to take the MCAT during May 2020. Because I really would not like to rush into taking the MCAT. And would only like to take it once in my lifetime. I would have to take time off and study my butt off and I just don’t think I want to study during my last semester.
- I guess my question is, with my stats, is it worth applying to med school/taking the MCAT this upcoming cycle? Or should I wait to apply in the following cycle? I ask because I don’t want to waste time or money if I’m not going to get accepted this cycle. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year.... prep the hell out of the MCAT and take in Aug 2020. Unless you really, really need the $$, plan to work no more than part-time so that you can devote a ton of time to MCAT prep. (Like marriage, the idea should be to do it only once.) Plan to apply in June 2021. Do some job hunting over the summer after college graduation and try to land a job that will ideally last 2 years (Fall 2020 - Summer 2022) and give you enough flexibility that you can interview in Fall 2021 and maybe even Winter 2022.

In what course did you get a C-? The C? Without knowing the courses, it is hard to say whether it is worth a retake.

Reactions: 8 users
Take a gap year.... prep the hell out of the MCAT and take in Aug 2020. Unless you really, really need the $$, plan to work no more than part-time so that you can devote a ton of time to MCAT prep. (Like marriage, the idea should be to do it only once.) Plan to apply in June 2021. Do some job hunting over the summer after college graduation and try to land a job that will ideally last 2 years (Fall 2020 - Summer 2022) and give you enough flexibility that you can interview in Fall 2021 and maybe even Winter 2022.

In what course did you get a C-? The C? Without knowing the courses, it is hard to say whether it is worth a retake.
Thank you so much for replying. The C- was Statistics. And the C was a 1 credit Lab. I was just wondering if it was worth retaking statistics?
Also are you recommending I work rather than boost my gpa with post bacc?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no point in retaking the lab. You will use stats quite regularly as a life-long learner as you interpret new medical literature. It might be a good idea to retake before you graduate. I'm saying that not so much to make a difference in med school as to be sure you are comfortable with the concepts.

If there are higher level courses you really want to take, take them as a post-bac but keep in mind that sitting on a 3.5, you'll need to score nothing less than an A- in each course to avoid hurting, rather than helping, your record.

A strong MCAT is likely to provide assurance that you can do well in medical school. I would suggest going through one application cycle before deciding to do master's degree or to take undergrad classes as a post-bac.

Reactions: 4 users
(This is my first time posting so I am not sure if this is the right forum. Please redirect me if I’m wrong)
I am going into my last semester of undergrad (will graduate May 2020). I have several questions I wanted to ask.
Quick Stats Overview
- URM (AA)
- cgpa (rn) = 3.38 (will explain below)
-sgpa (rn) = 3.1
- have been volunteering at a local hospital for 2 years now.
- 1 full year of undergrad research
- leadership role of a club (volunteer coordinator)
- will be doing clinical job (CNA) all of next semester and the following summer
............... Questions................
- Grades: my sophomore was the WORST year ever. Due to personal reasons my gpa dropped to a 3.3. After that, I have a very strong upward trend my junior year. (Straight As) until this past semester my senior year. I got a C- and a C in two courses. I am honestly so disappointed. Most of the grades in those two classes I did well in but the finals brought me down significantly.
- After finals this semester my cgpa dropped significantly from 3.48 to 3.38. If I retake the C- that I got, I will still only graduate with a 3.52 cgpa. (When I was hoping to graduate with a 3.6) If I don’t retake it. I will graduate with (the highest possible) a 3.48. Is it worth retaking?
- I am already planning on taking a gap year and completing a post bacc or masters’ during the gap year. But at this rate I don’t think I will be able to take the MCAT during May 2020. Because I really would not like to rush into taking the MCAT. And would only like to take it once in my lifetime. I would have to take time off and study my butt off and I just don’t think I want to study during my last semester.
- I guess my question is, with my stats, is it worth applying to med school/taking the MCAT this upcoming cycle? Or should I wait to apply in the following cycle? I ask because I don’t want to waste time or money if I’m not going to get accepted this cycle. Please help!
How much networking have you done with medical schools of interest? Students, faculty, alumni, or admissions staff?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

How much networking have you done with medical schools of interest? Students, faculty, alumni, or admissions staff?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
I wouldn’t say I’ve been networking. But I do have friends who have gone on to apply to medical school. I have another friend who is currently completing a master’s before med school. And then I know some alumni from various med schools through my mentor. But I can’t confidently say that I’ve been networking. I do not know any faculty or admissions staff.

Last edited:
Thank you so much @Goro for replying to my other thread. Your link was very helpful. I will attach the link below for future reference for myself and for anyone else who visits the thread later.