Confused DDS applicant. I really need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anothercalidds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I just graduated with a BS from a cal state school and I am 24 years old. I took my DAT last summer and got an 18AA
17bio
19OCHEM
19CHEM
17PAT
16QR
18RC

My science gpa is 3.5 and my overall gpa is a 3.38 (slightly higher on my transcript but you know AADSAS) Although I know that my stats are not great, I have applied this year just because I am hopeful and hey, if I get lucky, great! I would love to go to ANY school in California.. So far I have been getting rejections pretty quick.. Midwestern, SF, Loma Linda.. the Schools I am waiting on are roseman, Utah, UNLV, USC, UOP, western, UCLA, ASDOH... since things aren't going that great, I'm trying to come up with a back up plan for the next cycle just in case I don't get in, which most likely I won't. I got into the postbac program at my school, but just found out they don't give any financial aid, not even grad plus loans, which is unfortunate. I even got denied for a private loan which sucks. In addition, I feel like doing a postbac wouldn't even affect me that much since it's only like 2 semesters worth of classes. I know a DAT retake is a must, and I'm preparing myself to start re-studying for it and I just want to know if a DAT retake would be enough, or If anyone has experienced similar situations or has any advice.. I would greatly appreciate it. :(

Members don't see this ad.

DAT retake should be sufficient if you can score well enough (20+ as mentioned above but the higher the better). Plenty of people get in with your overall GPA, so a post-bac/masters can be avoided entirely as long as you improve the DAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
improve dat score significantly... most ideally 21+ and you will be fine. no need for a post bacc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA isn't too bad. If you re-take the DAT and get higher scores (20+), then that will have a significantly positive effect on your application. How did you study for it the first time around?
I used all the typical stuff everyone uses. Destroyer, Chas's, cliff AP, boot camp. I just mentally wasn't ready and panicked.

DAT retake should be sufficient if you can score well enough (20+ as mentioned above but the higher the better). Plenty of people get in with your overall GPA, so a post-bac/masters can be avoided entirely as long as you improve the DAT score.
What do u think about age? At 24 I feel like I'm late.. everyone on sdn I feel are 20-22x Age is such an issue for me.. the thought that I have to re apply and won't start till possibly 2019 scares me.

What do u think about age? At 24 I feel like I'm late.. everyone on sdn I feel are 20-22x Age is such an issue for me.. the thought that I have to re apply and won't start till possibly 2019 scares me.

I was older than you when I applied to dental school. It really comes down to how motivated you are.

im 24 myself. just applied this cycle. got 2 interviews thus far. Nova & MWU AZ AA:21 PA:20 OGPA: 3.78 (Canadian application = international). Thus my chances are obviously much less than an american with my stats, so i think youre more than fine. Just improve the DAT and you should be fine provided the rest of your app is decent.

I'll be one more supporting voice to what's been said.

Don't bother with any additional schooling before dental school. Its not worth the time or money for you as your GPA is acceptable.

Work for several months on studying for the DAT. Focus 100% on this. If you are able to score 21+ in every category, you should be able to get multiple offers if you have to apply next year.