CONFUSED! WHEN AM I SUPPOSED TO STUDY FOR AND TAKE THE MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted812577

Hi! I'm a freshman and my major is biomedical sciences.
I'm currently in my first semester and I'm taking Gen Chem 1 as my only science but next semester I'm going to take Physics 1 and Gen Chem 2 and in the summer I'll be taking Bio 1 and Physics 2 (maybe???). Next fall, I'll take orgo, etc.

Anyways, I want to take the MCAT maybe towards the end of junior year so I can apply to med school during the summer after junior year because by then I'll have all my pre-reqs done. I always see people posting here that they study for like 8 hours a day but I'm confused- where do they get this time?? Do they study during the school year? How can they put aside that many hours if they still have to take classes? Am I missing something?? Do I have to take it BEFORE junior year starts?! Ahhhhh so many questions

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) You are a freshman in college. Your goals right now should be to ace your pre-req classes and have some fun. Relax. Breathe. Join some orgs. Consult with your pre-health advisor about a plan for the next 4 years.

2) Depending on how you do on your pre-reqs, your plans for the MCAT might change drastically. Taking it during school might not be a good option and other opportunities might arise during your summers that would not allow you to study for the MCAT during the summer. That's OK. Your goal is to figure out how you study and to make a commitment to study for the MCAT once and only once. Do it right the first time. Yes, that means 8+ hours a day for some people (like me) or just on the weekends (like some smart people I know). You have 2 years to figure that out - take all the time you need.

3) Lots and lots of threads on this topic already. Browse through them. But in the end, only you know yourself and your study habits. Don't let anyone figure this pre-med path out for you. Take charge of it and do it right the first time.

Most people who take the "traditional" path (going to medical school right out of college) take the MCAT towards the end of their junior year. I took it at the beginning of my junior year because I wanted the whole summer to study and because I didn't want to take the new MCAT (which doesn't apply for you). That probably ended up being a mistake, but I digress. Anyway, it shouldn't even be on your radar right now! Just focus on doing well in classes and finding your niche in college. Start thinking about it at the end of your sophomore year. Also, studying 8 hours per day for the MCAT is absurd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people who take the "traditional" path (going to medical school right out of college) take the MCAT towards the end of their junior year. I took it at the beginning of my junior year because I wanted the whole summer to study and because I didn't want to take the new MCAT (which doesn't apply for you). That probably ended up being a mistake, but I digress. Anyway, it shouldn't even be on your radar right now! Just focus on doing well in classes and finding your niche in college. Start thinking about it at the end of your sophomore year. Also, studying 8 hours per day for the MCAT is absurd.

I rarely reach 8 hours a day in med school.

Reactions: 2 users
I rarely reach 8 hours a day in med school.
It is nice to see that... when I was researching study habits for the MCAT there were some crazies who told me that I needed to study 8 hours a day for 5 days a week like it was my FT job... I would have quit. I ended up studying about 1.5-2 hours MAX per day for about 2 months (weekends off). That was plenty enough for the score I needed.

But if I take it at the end of junior year, what if I screw up and get a bad score? I want to apply to med school before senior year but I'm worried that if I take the MCAT during the summer after junior year I won't have enough time to take it again just in case...

And yeah I know I should relax but it's just that there's sooooo many people trying to get into med school and I see other freshman who've already started studying

And yeah I know I should relax but it's just that there's sooooo many people trying to get into med school and I see other freshman who've already started studying

Try not to let other people's study habits affect your own. Studying longer doesn't mean studying more effectively.

Reactions: 1 user
But if I take it at the end of junior year, what if I screw up and get a bad score? I want to apply to med school before senior year but I'm worried that if I take the MCAT during the summer after junior year I won't have enough time to take it again just in case...

Set things up so you only have to take the mcat once. If you are planning to have to re-take it, you probably will. If you plan to be ready to get your best score on your first attempt, you are more likely to be fully prepared. You definitely do NOT want to take the MCAT earlier, with less prep, just to give yourself time to take it again. If you give yourself all that time for the first attempt, you are less likely to need to re-take, which of course looks better on applications anyway.

If you do prepare and do poorly anyway, it is probably best to wait another year to apply rather than rush to re-take. Adcoms usually dont like it when an applicant shows immaturity by not preparing well the first time, then rushing to retake and still doing poorly, which is what most likely will happen if you rush to retake the exam.

Concentrate on your courses now, learn as much as you can, and plan to give yourself the maximum time you can to prepare rather than cutting your prep time short just to give yourself time to retake.

Hey I have a fun fact for you! The average age of a first year med student is 25. The fact is that many people don't go straight from College to medical school. As a matter of fact, applying early actually works against you since many admissions committee prefer mature applicants, and just assume that you are immature at age 21 (or w.e age you are when applying as early as possible). Focus on doing really well on your classes and if you are able to do so, then worry about the MCAT. It's a long journey, and you need to take it one step at a time.

I recently talked to someone who did really, really well on the MCAT (actually, I talk to many people who score 520+, that's part of my job) and that applicant to medical school studied for two hours per day for a semester and did a 7 hour practice test every weekend (including getting down to business at the time the exam is scheduled to begin). After taking 10 practice tests, the real thing was a piece of cake. Could you find 2 hours Monday through Friday and devote all of Saturday to a practice test during the entire Fall semester of junior year? Some people do that and study intently over winter break and schedule the test for early January.
Others study during the summer before Junior year and take in the fall of Junior year.

Take the next two years as they come and figure this out about 18 months from now.

Reactions: 6 users
Ok so you're all saying that choosing a time isn't important right now? Idk but that makes me feel like I don't have a plan...
It seems like everyone else has everything all figured out! :(

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident that you will get a score consistent with success.
Re-takes come with baggage.
And quit yelling.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to be mean but this is really immature. The last thing you need to worry about is what "everyone else" is doing. Live your life, and do things at your pace.
You said it yourself, you are a freshman so..... why are you worrying about the MCAT? Try to get as many A's as possible in your first classes, and when you figure THAT out, then you can start worrying about the MCAT.

Don't let a a goal of med school dictate your entire undergraduate experience.

Get your grades first. Do ECs that you enjoy personally. Help out in your community. You have four years ahead of you, your plans may well change many times before you really know you want to do medicine.

Don't let other people's habits guilt you into stressing out about this stuff. When it needs to happen it'll happen. I've had friends who had roadmaps made day 1 of freshman, joined all the premed societies and what not to cross off items on their list, did the MCAT as early as possible, etc. Meanwhile I'm here clueless about med apps and just doing whatever I felt like until last January. Got my MCAT done this summer etc. I'm sitting on a couple IIs and they aren't

I'm not writing this to show myself off; my point is you have 4 years. That's a long ass time. Calm down and enjoy your undergrad. You may find good reasons to pursue med (or other careers) if you just go through it without a fixed I NEED PREMED mindset.

Good luck.

Edit: NVM!

Last edited:
I would suggest after you take Physics II. Having that fresh in your mind would be best.

Ok so you're all saying that choosing a time isn't important right now? Idk but that makes me feel like I don't have a plan...

You're more likely to burn out before you even approach being in med school if you let that goal of getting in dictate every waking hour of undergrad. Focus on getting As in your coursework and doing extracurriculars that you like. And stop worrying about what other people do (or don't do), if they're approaching a similar goal differently, it doesn't mean their way would work better for you.

I took the exam in the spring of my Junior year (May to be exact). I started studying after winter break in January and studied pretty consistently for 2-3 hours each day (1 day off per week) for about 3-4 months. I was a D1 athlete currently in season and taking classes, but I always found time to get my studying in whether that was studying on bus rides and in hotel rooms, or staying up till 4am to take a practice exam - you can always find time if you want it badly enough. If I could do it all over again, I probably would have taken the exam in July like a few of my friends did. That would have given me 2 solid months of dedicated study time without school or athletics going on. You really just need to take a look at your schedule and the things you are involved in, and decide when is the best time for you when you will be able to be the most prepared.

Focus on acing the pre-reqs. After you feel confident by sophomore year, get involved with unique EC's. Right now you should start to volunteer at the hospital. If you rush, your application isn't going to be as good, or competitive. Do one thing at a time, and if it means a gap year who cares