Confusion on Pre-med requirements for UCLA UGRAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaizera12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I am wondering, for any UCLA alumni out there, if I need to take Biochem 153L. I am using this to figure out what schools are specifically requiring:

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/Forms/add_bio_reqs.pdf

Also, I noticed that UCI and UC Davis has these "upper division biology requirement." However, I am a humanities major, so it seems to be more of a challenge for me. Thoughts? Thank you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say most Cali schools or med schools require that 1 year of chem lab? Should I just take it in the summer after the cycle ends if I do just happen to get into one of these schools? Also, how important is it to take that 1 Upper division biology class?

Last edited:
not sure how necessary the biochem lab is. On a similar note people here only take a quarter of bio lab (LS23L) and the requirement seems to be a year of biology with lab. Idk if that means a year of bio lab, so the lab requirements seem a bit ambiguous. I'm also not a science major (econ) and while most schools seem to want 153A (which I'm taking now) I don't think they'll push for us to have 153L.

not sure how necessary the biochem lab is. On a similar note people here only take a quarter of bio lab (LS23L) and the requirement seems to be a year of biology with lab. Idk if that means a year of bio lab, so the lab requirements seem a bit ambiguous. I'm also not a science major (econ) and while most schools seem to want 153A (which I'm taking now) I don't think they'll push for us to have 153L.

Last edited:
Typically for requirements that say 1 year bio with lab, I just mentioned that my labs were integrated in my bio classes, like LS, and Physics 6 series..
I was in your shoes before worrying because I didn't take 153L, but I just noticed a lot schools don't really care too much about biochem lab.... I didn't come across any trouble to be honest. Anyway, if I happened to want to go to a rare school that required 153L, I figured I would just take it in the summer before matriculation rather than before applying and risk getting a bad grade in that class haha.

Reactions: 1 user
hmm for me the only true series that has an integrated lab series is physics (required component with enrollment in a lecture + discussion), but labs for LS/chem are usually separate classes. The pre med advisors (not that they're any use from personal experience) do have a sheet of recommended classes that are commonly accepted by med schools. Ls23l/chem 14bl/14cl are the 3 on that sheet, but they "recommend" 153L. I think I'm in the same boat, as I'll take it late in my ugrad career only if necessary prior to matriculation.

I graduated from UCLA and did not take 153L. Each school has a different requirement, but most schools do not require it.

I was a Psychobiology major and did not take any "upper divison biology" courses. I don't think it hurt me, but you should definitely call and ask the schools specifically.